Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
Directed by: Spike Lee
Starring: Spike Lee, Danny Aiello, John Turturro, Ossie Davis

Do the Right Thing is one of the most important American films of the late eighties. It launched the career of many actors in its cast, as well as giving director Spike Lee his first major film project and bringing him to the forefront of American filmmaking. Its legacy isn’t unique to race; it’s really something to be admired by fans of cinema from all walks of life. Lee has a reputation as a provocative filmmaker because of some of the hot-button issues he tackles, which has unfortunately rubbed of on Do the Right Thing a bit, which is now sometimes viewed as a work of racial hostility and a call to confrontation. I don’t see it as such; it’s more of an observation on some of the factors that affect the lives of people who live in diverse neighborhoods.

The film takes place on a particularly hot day in New York City, which of course leaves everyone a little more agitated than normal. Everything in the film is set in a small neighborhood in Bed-Stuy, filled with many unique characters and subplots that run throughout the main narrative of the film. The focus of the film is Mookie, a pizza delivery man who travels between the world of his job and his friends and family, trying to act as an ambassador between the whites and blacks. As the day goes by, things gradually get worse and worse as tempers begin to flare and people refuse to back down from even the most petty of arguments.

For me, the highlight of the film was Ernest Dickerson’s gorgeous cinematography. The movie supposedly takes place on the hottest day of the year, and the lighting effects really bring out a sense of blistering heat. Everything is incredibly bright, and the tensions between different color schemes bring out the innate temperatures of different tones (red and orange being hot, blue being cool, etc.). The palate is made up of vibrant primary colors, which also lends to the exaggerating atmosphere of the movie. It actually reminds me of the look of another New York city film, West Side Story. The film also functions as a text-book of filmmaking techniques and how to use them. Several visual motifs appear throughout the film, from the canted angles that emphasize relationships between characters, to the elegant dolly shots that help explore and develop the environment that the film is set in. Lee and Dickerson are at the top of their game here, and it’s a real treat to behold their work.

Do the Right Thing also features an impressive cast. Sam Jackson, John Turturro, Danny Aiello and Ossie Davis all fill out the supporting cast, each turning in an incredible performance. Spike Lee himself plays the lead, and while he’s authentic in the role, he can’t really keep up with the other excellent performers. He also seems to have underwritten his character, which lacks the sense of energy that most of the smaller parts have, which causes a few problems. Rosie Perez is pretty awful, and the whole subplot with her character really drags the film down at times. Lee would have been wiser to omit her entire character, or at least take it in a different direction and with a less irritating actress. Martin Lawrence also makes an appearance, though he fortunately doesn’t get much screen time. The rest of the bit players are incredibly genuine though, and the diverse and well-developed cast really helps enhance the atmosphere of the neighborhood. The dialogue also lends to the film’s sense of authenticity, with believable banter and memorable one liners sprinkled throughout the movie.

Another strong point in the film is the use of music. Public Enemy’s “Fight the Power” blasts throughout most of the film courtesy of Radio Raheem, emphasizing the burning tempers and sense of animosity between the people and the establishment. Branford Marsalis also lends a hand, providing some cool, jazzy tunes to counter the heat. In addition, Sam Jackson’s character is a radio DJ, so music is obviously an important part of this community in Lee’s view.

Though it has a reputation as being an incendiary film, Do the Right Thing is less about racial anger and confrontation than it is about communication and relationships and how they are affected by prejudice and frustration. Lee is really clever in not taking favor with any specific character or “side,” and leaves a lot of the film open to the individual to decide upon. He definitely captures the tension between different races and even other factions like the police though, which is where a lot of the claims of “angry black man makes a film” come from. It’s surprising how objective the film is able to remain up until the end, when everything goes out (or in this film’s case, through) the window, and all hell breaks loose.

Do the Right Thing is a great movie with generous helpings of humor, artistry and intelligence. I still think it’s the best of Spike Lee’s films, though he has gone on to make many more memorable films. Highly Recommended.

RATING: 5.0

PROS: great characters, beautiful cinematography
CONS: Rosie Perez

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097216/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phullish
Sep 28, 2003
Having just seen this movie today I have to say that it is now one of my all-time favorites. The characters and the neighborhood are brought to life in a splendid way that just caught my attention and I really cared and got involved in what was happening. The bright colors, atmosphere, general cinematography and the message it has made this movie come to life. I absolutely love this movie.

I give it a 5.