Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

masterjv
Aug 22, 2004
My mom abandoned me for coco puffs
Directed by: Gordon Chan
Starring: Jet Li

This was one of Jet Li's films that really has become a cult hit through word of mouth. The acting is what you would expect from an older chinese movie. The setting is china and its during the japanese invasion in the 1930's. It's a bit cheesy and funny because of the american interpretation(basically wrong). jet li is chinese and of course he fights against the Japanese. But his master is killed by a japanese and this increases tensions between the two races. Yet, the woman he loves is Japanese and well, it will never work. SO he must do what he can to mend both situations. The real joy of this movie is the fight sequences. They are fast and swift and hands down some of the best choreography you will ever see. Also, one of the best intros to a movie that i can think of. so in a jiffy i put it as so:

Pros: Artistry, History, choreography, cinematography( for its time)
cons: acting, story ( a little Predictable)
Overall: 4 Hibbity! (scale system below)

5 Hibbity: Great, must see, dont miss or your out of the will.

4 Hibbity: Try to see this in the theater, or be scoffed at when you buy it on dvd.

3 Hibbity: Its worth the money, but not the friend you lost when he found out you stole his money to see it.

2 Hibbity: Wait for the DVD, then watch it... BUT NEVER ADMIT TO IT!!!

1 Hibbity: Watch it, then proceed to stab yourself with the concealed butterknife you brought.

RATING: 5.0

PROS: Artistry, History, choreography, cinematography( for its time)
CONS: acting, story ( a little Predictable)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110200/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Fist of Legend is one of the finest martial arts movies ever, and is a spectacular showcase of Jet Li's talents as a martial artist.

A remake of the 1972 Bruce Lee film Fist of Fury, Jet Li, Yuen Woo-ping and director Gordon Chan deliver a hugely entertaining kung fu flick that features a number of awesome fights, a surprisingly layered plot and an incredible showdown with one of my favorite kung fu villains.

I love this movie, and I would not hesitate in giving it a...

5/5

DrScorp
Jun 21, 2000

Probably my favorite action movie of all time. The fighting is about as realistic as kung fu movies get, and it's brutual. You won't care about the story or characters, but you will care about some of the most amazing fights ever seen, including a finale that rivals jackie chan's fight at the end of drunken master 2.

5/5

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Easily my favorite martial arts movie. Pure and unadulturated action, with no artificial flavors like a plot or character development, etc.

5/5

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

mrkillboy came out of the closet to say:
A remake of the 1972 Bruce Lee film Fist of Fury

He means Chinese Connection.

As far as actual, hand to hand kung fu goes, this movie is unmatched in recent years. These days a martial arts movie has to have a slash in its genre, be it martial arts/comedy or kung fu/cop or whatever the hell Hero is/awesome. This might be the last great one folks. I give it a 4.5 for not having Bruce Lee.