Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Louis C.K.
Starring: Lance Crouther, J.B. Smoove

I don't know where Pootie Tang came from, why it was created, or whether the character is originally from a TV show. If it is a pre-existing character, that might explain this terrible movie, as the entire thing feels like a SNL-spinoff movie: no plot and a single exaggerated character who can't even begin to carry a full length movie by themselves. I guess the people involved realized this too: the movie is just barely over an hour long (thankfully).

Here's the joke (and I say joke because it's really the only one throughout the entire movie): Pootie Tang is a sort of ghetto legend, kind of half-pimp half-superhero. Pootie Tang has a weird way of speaking and a giant list of phrases he says that no one quite understands: "sha-da-tay" is the one I remember the most. He can usually communicate in regular English, but uses these weird phrases like punctuation.

So, I guess that's is kind of funny, and for the first few minutes of the movie I was sort of laughing. But that's basically it. The movie goes on with its "plot" and all that really happens is Pootie Tang goes from scene to scene saying different and increasingly less funny things.

At its best Pootie Tang would make a good last-30-minutes SNL sketch. The kind of sketches that give you a couple laughs but are thrown in near the end because there's really nothing to them other than a odd character. If Pootie Tang had come from SNL, it would surely be ranked well below other terrible comedies like A Night At The Roxbury and The Ladies Man, because it's really, really bad.

Avoid it unless you want to laugh at how bad it is, or are extremely high.

RATING: 0.5

PROS: Funny for about 2 minutes
CONS: Painfully unfunny after that

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258038/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sabotagex6
Jul 22, 2004

by Lowtax
terrible

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
I might just be the only person who enjoys this movie. A ton of the jokes fall flat, but there are a few that got me laughing pretty hard. Even at just over an hour, there are certainly some parts that seem to drag, and the movie gets pretty damned retarded at several points, but overwall, I think it was a funny, quotable movie. I gave it a 4.5, despite it's flaws.

elister
Dec 29, 2001

by Mayor Wilkins
First half of the movie was great. Then it quickly dies out.

What funny parts that are in this movie, are indeed funny, almost laugh out loud poo poo.

taktheride
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

PROS: Funny for about 2 minutes
CONS: Painfully unfunny after that

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258038/ [/B]

yeah, the beginning is so strong....then it fizzles. at least the david cross stuff later in the film is "kind-of" funny...

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Pootie Tang is awesome, it's like the ultimate "tries to be so bad it's good and succeeds" movie, and I love it. The jokes are stupid, the acting is overdone, and the plot is dumb as hell. Awesome.

5/5

CallMeDan
Apr 20, 2004

I support my quarterback
The Gorilla attacking Pootie's dad and the hit song where it's silent are both great gags, but yeah, other than that this movie was pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The first 10 minutes are absolutely hysterical, but the last 60 minutes made me want to kill myself. Pretty much any scene focusing on Pootie Tang was awful.

1.5/5 for Dirty D and Bad Bitty's opening scene, would be .5/5 otherwise