Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golobulus
Aug 18, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
Directed by: Don Roy King
Starring: David Hasselhoff, Coleen Sexton, Andrea Rivette

Ah, this is a difficult film to review. Actually, it's not technically a film, it was filmed for showing on HBO and some other movie channels. Now, David Hasselhoff can hardly be considered a singer by entertainment standards, but he's surprisingly good in this. Not the best to take on this role, but considering his skill, he does well. The problem is this is simply a filmed stage performance. It looks like it was filmed with a camcorder. If they had given this a real budget, it could have made a good movie. The transformation from Jekyll to hide consists of Hasselhoff covering his face with his jacket and messing up his hair. It's almost embarassing to watch, because Hasselhoff really seems kinda embarassed, and I don't blame him, I would be too. The further proof that this is nothing more than a staged performance on film is the obvious that it's being performed in front of a live audience. If you listen closely, in some parts, you can hear coughing, sneezing, annoying giggles, etc, from the audience. Which only justifies my claim that it would be better to just have made this a film

This film does have it's good parts, though. Coleen Sexton alone is worth seeing this. She is gorgeous and her voice is beautiful. She plays an entertainer at a seedy entertainment club which also happens to be a whorehouse.

This is a sophisticated, but also very dark musical. It doesn't much follow the storyline, but then again, if it did, it would be a very boring musical. Don't watch this if you're looking for a happy ending, you won't find one. Still, it's worth a look, even if only to rent it. However, I found my DVD copy for $4.99 at Walgreens, so it might be found at various other pharmacies.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Very good musical
CONS: Cheaply made. It's basically just a film-recorded Stage performance

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279887/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nokros
Jul 13, 2004
This is a taped live performance, and it does not claim to be anything but. In fact, at the beginning it advertises it being "straight from Broadway", or something to that effect. This means that it cannot have special effects like in most films today, as it is being done live, onstage.

David Hasselhoff did a mediocre acting job. He was excellent as Edward Hyde, but his Henry Jekyll was laughable. His singing left a lot to be desired, and he could not sing or act effectively one of the most climatic songs in the show, "Confrontation".

However, the rest of the production was superb. Coleen Sexton has a powerful, diverse voice and a great acting ability, and Andrea Rivette also gave a stellar performance. George Meritt also deserves recognition for his vocal powers. The set of the show was amazing, with very effective use of scrim and self-moving furniture.

The majority of the production makes up for the lack of an effective Jekyll, so I give this 4/5.