Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Roger Nygard
Starring: Denise Crosby, Nerds

I was extremely suprised to hear this movie existed, because Trekkies so perfectly captured the obsessed Star Trek fan world that I didn't think anyone could really add anything to the subject. My suspicions were mostly confirmed: Trekkies 2 really didn't need to be made at all -- it's a less funny, less interesting, and less entertaining remake of the first movie.

It could be subtitled "Trekkies Around the World", and that seems to be a loose premise (or purpose) for the sequel. In the early moments of the movie, Denise Crosby (the host/narrator) asks: "Are German Trekkies different?". Unsuprisingly, the answer is "no". Aside from the accents, the German trekkies are really no different than their US equivalents from the first movie. The same rehash is repeated in Italy, Brazil, Australia, England, and numerous other countries, with only a few interesting interviews scattered throughout the movie. You could seamlessly swap interviews from the first and second movie without anyone noticing, as the fans are all discussing the exact same things that they were in Trekkies.

The rest of the movie is used to catch up with some of the interesting people from the original documentary, which was filmed in 1996. It's better than the globetrotting stuff, but not really too particularly interesting: the nerdy-mullet kid named Gabe is the only one who's changed in any way, and everyone else is pretty much exactly the same as they were before.

There's a few moments spent with some production staff of the current Trek franchise, which is pretty interesting, and probably the highlight of the movie. The odd mail they receive provides some of the movie's few laughs.

The rest of the movie spends far too much time with people producing fan-made movies, most of which aren't all that interesting or corny enough to be funny. We're also introduced to several Star Trek bands (and some discussion of Filk), but they're pretty much all the same (standard bar bands who've used Star Trek lyrics as a gimmick), and by the time they're interviewing the 5th band, you'll be itching to fast forward.

RATING: 1.5

PROS: Updates on Trekkies 1 people
CONS: Borders on being a remake instead of a sequel; less interesting trekkies

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364079/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Life is Eat and Die
Apr 15, 2001
I think the complaints from some of the more sensitive Trekkies in the first one forced them to make this one a lot more bland and uninteresting. So I agree with you on most points, but the 2nd half is much better than the first.

The part where the Paramount people were talking about the guy obsessed with crabs and the pictures he made was pretty goddamn hilarious though.

Probably 2/5

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

More of the same. No better or worse than the first one, just different stories. They spent way too much time on the bands. Rating: 3