Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElecHeadMatt
May 27, 2003

I HATE PHANTOM SPACE MAN
Directed by: Joseph Ruben
Starring: Julianne Moore, Dominic West, Gary Sinise, Linus Roache

The Forgotten tells the tale of a woman who is coping with the loss of her 8 year old son who was presumed dead when an airplane vanished without a trace over a year ago. After her therapist tells her her son is a delusion she had created in the wake of a miscarriage, she embarks on a quest to prove her sons existence, teaming up with a drunk ex-father who had a daughter aboard the same plane.

This was a pretty goddamn good movie. It had some excellent twists, a good cast, and breathtaking cinematography. There were actually moments where I actually screamed out "HOLY loving poo poo." or some derivative from the back of the theater, which is extremely rare for me in a theater, as it contains some of the best surprises I've seen as of late. For the sake of the excellent marketing that has managed to keep everything a good secret for the movie-goers, I'm going to write the rest of this in spoilers, elaborating on details.

First and foremost, the greatest thing about this movie was the fact that it genuinely rattled me at moments. To clear things up, the cause of all the memory-loss bullshit is, whatdya know, aliens. However, the execution is flawless. Its hard to do aliens these days; its simply hard to pull off without coming off incredibly lame. The Forgotten did it well, following a simple rule to not confirm anything about the aliens. Its obvious what they are, but they never come out and say it, let alone explain anything about them. Just that the situation is an experiment and Julianne Moore's character is a liability. Some of the greatest moments in the movie are the abductions. Those are pure what-the-gently caress moments if there ever were any, especially the Detective's abduction. You've all seen it if you've seen the trailer. No bright light from the sky, or a disc floating down from the heavens. Only the abductee shooting into the sky like a ragdoll, disappearing behind the clouds in a matter of seconds. Its a huge shock everytime it happens, simply because you never know when its going to happen.

The only downsides I can think of is it might have been a little too long and mostly boring until it picks up halfway through the movie, and the music sometimes doesn't fit with a mix between a brooding piano and weird spacey pads. Another part I sort of groaned over was the "YOU HAVE TO FORGET" part at the end. The facial morphing thing wasn't necessary.

Like I said though, if you really want a good suspense/sci-fi, check this out. And go as fast as you humanly can before you see something that ruins it for you.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Excellent cinematography, Genuinely rattling moments
CONS: A little drawn out, music is sort of awkward at times.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356618/

ElecHeadMatt fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofidelity
Jul 20, 2004
I just saw this tonight, and I thought it accomplished in living up to my expectations from seeing the trailer. The filmmakers treated the material with just the right amount of paranoia without going into full X-files territory. And the relief moments in the second half of the movie keeps it from becoming too brooding and serious.

The first half of the movie dragged for me as well, although that's probably because of how they spoiled the alien abductions in the trailer.

Julianne Moore does some fine work, and she gives enough into her performance to make me believe in her peril as well. Any actress with less skill than her would have made this film into an unintentional comedy.

I liked how after the alien wiped Julianne Moore's memory and he had an Oh poo poo moment when she started to remember and he said "I need more time" before he was pulled up into the sky.

Overall, it's a smartly packaged film with a great performance from Julianne Moore and a plotline that kept me interested.

4/5

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

This. Movie. Is. TERRIBLE.

Don't read any of my spoilers if you want to keep some "suspense" in this film, if you can call it that.

Let me say, I went into the movie really looking forward to seeing it. The previews that have been running on television were really loving awesome looking, and I was pleased that my friends invited me to come see it with them.

The first part of the movie was pretty slow, but at least a tiny bit captivating, as you wanted to find out what was going on. It really confused me, however, how QUICKLY they got into the whole "Your child never existed" thing; like, ten-fifteen minutes into the movie they were already into the main plot point and were explaining why it was the case. So, I'm sitting there going "Where are they going with this?"

Then we found out: loving ALIENS. COME ON, PEOPLE, CAN'T WE AT LEAST TRY TO BE A LITTLE BIT ORIGINAL?!?! The twist in this movie is clumsily executed and ridiculous, and it had me wanting to slit my wrists because I could NOT believe that that was what this movie was about. I was incredibly disappointed.

The movie also suffers from really quite lovely dialogue, often given to us by the main two characters in the film who's acting comes off as little more than melodramatic. Also, the movie feels at times that it is not much more than the same chase scene over and over again, with sometimes less than five minutes in between them running from people.

The movie is simply ridiculous. I was tempted to walk to the box office and ask for my money back, but it was already closed, because this movie IS ALMOST TWO HOURS LONG. I want that portion of my life back. :mad:

1/5. I only give it a one because there were a couple of cool sequences that did make me jump car running into them for instance, I saw that coming and it still loving unnerved me, but seriously, this is not a good film. Do not waste your time on it.

If anyone wants me to go into more detail about why this movie is horrid, I can. Those are the main points, aside from the fact that I think there's a major plot problem they leave unanswered at the end, and I hope to god it doesn't mean they're going to make a sequel.

McMurphy
Feb 14, 2004

THE FACES OF THOSE IVE KILLED
THE FACES OF THE DEAD
THE FACES OF THOSE I'VE KILLED

The trailer is really awesome, and if I was voting on that, I'd give it a 4.5, but I'm not. The movie is in one word average. Everyone does an average job acting, the script is average. The only thing better than average is he suspense near the end but even that is spoiled by some shoddy editing here and there. I walked out of the theater totally indifferent, which is rare. Last movie that did that was King Arthur, but on a lesser extent. I guess see it if you've seen all other movies and don't want to see First Daughter. If hat's not the case, wait for video or try and get in for free. 2.5

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
This movie was pretty bad. The trailers looked semi-interesting and I had a couple hours to kill before catching Shaun of the Dead, so I gave it a shot; something I would like to discourage you from doing.

There were only a few redeeming things about this movie, and I will list them here (in spoiler form) so you can save yourself five bucks. First, the cliche detective getting sucked up into the sky all of a sudden had the theater all riled up for a solid minute. Also, as already mentioned, the car crash was pretty frightening.

That's pretty much it. The characters were dumb and the plot was all right but poorly executed.

1.5, because it's bad, but there's worse out there, plus Julianne Moore is hot and I liked seeing her drop an F-bomb in a PG-13 movie.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
As others have stated, I would have voted 4 or 5 based on the trailer, but after seeing the movie last night, not a chance.

It seemed to me that the creators of the film took the basic plot from Dark City and changed the setting to New York City in the present day.

There were also a lot of plot holes that were never answered - for example, why does memory loss change the physical world around you? How did Gary Sinise's character know about the loving aliens? Where did the "taken" people go? That kind of stuff really bugged me.

Final score? 1.5

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This movie genuinely made me jump a few times, which is pretty rare in movies; I think it happened though because the movie was so drat ludicrous that my guard was down. Dominic West (who played Ash) turned in a horrible performance that attempts at portraying serious moments made me laugh much more than it convinced me that he was going through a dramatic situation. Julianne Moore (as Telly)wasn't bad, but her character really started to grate on me by the end of the movie (to experience her performance at home, replay a clip of her saying "SAM?!" "SAM?!" for two hours). Detective Anne Pope (played by Alfre Woodard) reminded me of Lt. Hooks from the Police Academy movies. She wasn't the only thing that seemed borrowed. In fact, I felt that the plot was a product of someone sticking a bunch of X-file's fanfic into a paper shredder and having a child infected with the down's reassemble the pieces in random order after being forced to sniff rubber cement. But enough about Sam (played by Christopher Kovaleski), though. This movie was a fantastic piece of crap. The only redeeming qualities were the scare moments, the unintentional laughs and the many times the story was so stupid that I had no other choice but to mutter "what."

Rate: 1.5/5.0

Rick fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 26, 2004

the_good_life
Sep 22, 2004

by Lowtax
i jumped twice in this movie. i never jump in movies. the movie wasn't that great but i give it a 3.5/5 just for making me jump.

angryduck
Jul 16, 2004
I AM A SHITTY POSTER AND I BRAG ABOUT DOWNLOADING MOVIES OFF THE INTERNET! AREN'T I A SWELL DUDE!?
I reluctantly walked into the movie after being told it was supposed to be "the next sixth sense". I wondered if I walked into the middle of the film because it doesn't ease you into the story at all. I could have bought into the idea that it was going to be a suspense thriller, but in ten minutes they totally redirected the focus of the movie into sci-fi car chase.
Just like the_good_life I jumped a few times at the car crash, but it seemed to come out of nowhere. The NSA says "Wait we just want to talk!" as Julianne Moore bursts from the car without a scratch. And the NSA was working for aliens! I'm surprised this isn't a movie produced by Mel Gibson.
The only redeeming quality this movie had was that it crossed the line between "angry bad" and "laughably bad". Everyone in the theatre started laughing when Detective Pope got sucked into the sky by the moon/battlestation. Don't waste your money on this movie.
Rating:1/5

Garbabarooz
Dec 15, 2003

I was forced to see this movie after my firend vetoed seeing "Shaun of the Dead". I was nervous to see thismovie because I hate horror movies, which I thought this was. Well all my worrying was for not.
I hated this movie not because of the terrible plot, but because the acting was awful. Throughout the movie I was constantly reminded that this is just a movie and these people on screen are merely acting. In other words I was never drawn into the story, and instead I kept an ever vigil eye on the clock.
I can't recommend this movie to anyone with first handing them a knife.

Rated: 0.5/5

Garbabarooz fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 27, 2004

PoSeiDoN
Jun 14, 2003

These go to 11.
It's already been said, but if you witnessed the "extended edition" trailer, then you've seen every major scary part of the entire flick. What's sad is that I was really expecting to see a great movie based upon what I saw in the trailers, but boy was I wrong. Granted, my wife jumped at the scenes (because she didn't see the trailers), but it was so predictable. Nothing was surprising if you've seen any of the previews.

Acting wasn't half bad, at least once you figured out the supposed "sixth sense" plot twist at the end.

I'd give it a solid 2.5/5

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Oh. My. God. Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen.

I just got back from watching this abomination with some friends. 80 percent of the audience was loving laughing at the end of the movie. Here are my feelings in a nutshell:

The good thing about this movie is the special effects. I will make no bones about it; it is loving scary to see a roof get torn off a house or people getting sucked into the sky by some unknown force, but that poo poo belongs in Fire In The Sky or something, not a suspense movie.

The bad: Let's start at the acting. I can't begin to count how many times I heard Julianne Moore's character say the same loving lines over and over. It was annoying at first, boring next, and finally comical. Next: The plot. Somebody watched one too many M. Night Shyamalan movies when they were writing this piece of poo poo. Think of it this way. In the beginning, we are introduced to the fact that Julianne Moore's character is supposedly insane after the death of her son in a plane crash. Nobody else remembers her son, but she swears that he existed. Cool concept. Now imagine yourself, sitting in the theater. As you learn these facts about Moore and her son, you start forming your hypothesis. Most people would take a relatively logical path for the story to evolve. No, no, no. It takes a turn for the absurd when the loving Men In Black (those of you who have seen it know exactly what I mean) take over the plot and threaten to destroy the planet. gently caress whomever was responsible for this piece of poo poo. God, I want my money back.

In short, gently caress this movie and gently caress me for having wasted my time/money on it. Voted 0.5/5.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Excellent film! The story was great, the action intense, and it had some good jumper parts.

Without spoiling the movie, I can only tell you that the storyline was handled very well, atypical of many modern movies.

4.5/5

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

To me this was just an hour and a half long X-files episode. There was NOTHING to disinguish this from any half-assed TV plot for whatever "unknown mysteries" show you can think of. My co-worker and I had a bet as the "Forgotten" would be aliens or ghosts, and whether or not the government was involved. God I can't want for a movie that solves its plot without dumping the solution into the "aliens" or "ghosts" catagory.

On the good side the jump scares are pretty good and catch you buy suprise. One of my pet peeves is the whole "What Lies Beneath" scam where the character creeps up somewhere, slowly, slowly, then BOOM! Speakers are so loud in theaters you can't help but jump. That's just a cop-out. The forgotten didn't play into that and worked its jump scares directly into the plot.

Voted 1.5. I want my money back.

Mr. Glorious Sunbath
Jan 7, 2004

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful LMBO.
the first half of the movie is a different movie from the second half. First half is suspense, the second half is something else entirely.

Too scatterbrained to be cohesive.

also: GIVE ME BACK MY SON
2 out of 5

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
I'm surprised this is getting such negative reviews.

Personally, I thought the trailer looked dumb as hell, although the trailers I saw didn't spoil the aliens . I went reluctantly.

However, I was quite pleasantly surprised. I liked the alien twist because it made the movie more plausible. The government is too incompetent to successfully erase all evidence of her kid's life, even if they had a mind erasing device. The only other realistic option would have been to just make her crazy and that would have been dumb and pointless IMHO.

I didn't find the relationship between the NSA and the Aliens to be at all confusing. It was quite obvious that the government was cooperating with these superior aliens in an attempt to limit the extent of the damage that the aliens do. That's one of the common theories as far as how the government would handle meeting superior aliens, secretly cooperating with them in a subservient role so I recognized it right away; the stuff said by that one NSA agent made it pretty obvious.

While the way the aliens sucked people up into the sky was really only impressive when it was used on people indoors, and was a little cheezy when used on the black female cop, I can't really think of a better way to do it, one that would have a sinister/scary feel. I thought it was pretty smart to do it that way.

I would say that they took a difficult but interesting premise and explained it in a reasonable, if not believable way. Also, I really enjoyed the atmosphere generated by the film, I was honestly unsure what was happening (or rather, why what was happening was happening) at one point, and the special effects were used in a way which enhanced the atmosphere, when they easily could have detracted from it.

weinstein
May 17, 2004
take everything negative said about this film above and times it by ten. Horrible, dont even want to talk about it. Horrible. 0/5

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Ok I normally don't go to many movies and find them hillariously bad in theaters. I need the enviroment of other people who aren't taking it seriously.

This movie crossed that line.

Ok I didn't see the trailer that spoiled what was causing all this to go down. I went into the movie thinking that Aliens might be involved but pretty quickly ruled it out. The idea of Aliens coming into her house in the middle of the night to remove signs of her sons existance seemed pretty absurd to me. My friend in particular found it funny that They just wallpapered the girls room. Heaven forbid they clean the walls clean of her artwork that would just be too much work. He described in great detail the idea of aliens coming in and having to do this work because they were too big of gently caress ups to be on the research team.

Once the big reveal happens everything just gets a bit too wacky for how it started. I also had some problems with the motives "If your link isn't severed the experiment is a failure" What? The experiment was to see if you could sever it in all but one case you could. Furthermore even if you can't the experiment isn't a failure you were just doing this to see if you could right? Well you found out didn't you? I know writing a review with heavy spoilers is in bad taste but really all my faults with the film lie in plot points.

My final problem was the message at the end: Oh sure there may be aliens controlling our government to do all sorts of experiments some resulting in the loss of human lives but you know what I don't care because I have my son back and thats all that matters.

0.5/5

dremy
Aug 17, 2004

100% Genetically Modified with over 2,000 additives
I knew nothing about this movie before seeing it, I hadn't even seen a trailer. My brother told me I had to see it with him so I did. Jesus I'm glad I knew nothing about this movie. I didn't even realize it was a sci-fi suspense style movie. This movie kind of came out of no where and belted me over the side of my head.
When the alien theory was first introduced by julian moore's charater I kinda thought: Yeah right, this lady really is crazy. They are never going to actually take this movie in that direction. But then BAM! Some loving NSA guy goes shooting through the roof of a cabin and I just sat up and screamed HOLY poo poo! This movie had so many good twists and decpetions in it i.e. I kept second guessing myself during the first 1/3 of the movie as to whether julian moore was actually insane or not. I absolutely loved this movie!

5/5

Please go and see this before you learn anything about the plot! It will make it so much better!

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
This movie creeped me the gently caress out. When it comes to horror/thriller movies, it really comes down to personal fears. The Exorcist and other monster movies don't scare me because I find the concept so distant and ludicrious it doesn't engage me on any level besides entertainment. The concept of unknown beings who are more powerful than us and gently caress with our minds just to see what happens...I find that plausible. I can understand why other people would feel differently. Most people in the theater laughed at Alfre Woodard being sucked into the sky, I found the idea really disturbing. I also felt my blood run cold when the alien's face was distorted towards the end. Like I said, fear is a personal thing, and I REALLY loving hate aliens, especially what they imply about our place in the universe.

So yes, I enjoyed this movie. Or maybe enjoyed isn't the right word...it definitely succeeded in scaring and unnerving me. The atmosphere, photography, and music are all highly reminiscent of The X-Files, but that's okay. The performances were good enough to make the movie work, and that's really all you can ask for. My only real complaint is the last scene in the playground, which was really pointless.

Even those people who hated the movie have to admit the car comes out of loving nowhere scene was really well-done.

4/5

Horseface fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 4, 2004

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah
I jumped at certain points because this movie didn't know what it wanted to be. I went in thinking it was a mystery, maybe an Enemy of the State type deal where the NSA has secret plans that Telly just somehow escaped from. She is an unwitting pawn in their plan. Ok ... dum dee dum dum, then bam out of nowhere we get the plot twist. 2 jumps as it turns into a thriller instead of a suspense movie, and I am ashamed of them because they were cheap because genres changed. Once I caught on, nothing would make me jump after that because the rest were so contrived.

So now it is Dark City with more action, I can handle that. Dark City was cool, let us see what happens to Telly as she unravels the reality that really exists.

No! They just explain the plot. The alien or "ancient," as she suddenly calls them, interferes with his experiment. What the hell, how is this scientific or what was the whole purpose anyways. The ending was amazingly stupid as well. Hey, well you know why not just reset everything back to normal.

The movie was schizophrenic, the hand camera made me nauseous, Julianne Moore looked even more freakishly pale than she usually does, the movie was a little below average.

I wanted to see Shaun of the Dead, the theater did not show Shaun of the Dead, god how I wish they did though.

2/5

Manwich fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 5, 2004

peenworm
Aug 27, 2002
Mini-review:

Startling, creepy at times. Makes a servicable demo reel for the director. Stick a story in there and you've got yourself a movie.

Rantings:
Bleh. When they get to Exposition Junction, the Big Reveal is pretty silly. Far from being "too big to fit in your head", it's just daffy. Obvious parallels to Dark City, what with the memory higgerypokery and awkward expositions, but at least Dark City gave up the goods in a manner surprising and impressive. This was just a fellow doing his T-1000 impersonation and then making the scary Aphex Twin face. Plus: HAY GUYS do you know what? Experiments are used to test hypotheses. If they can't sever the link, fine. Now you know more about the link. BAH.

Conclusion: I enjoyed myself while watching it, but it was fairly doofy and not at all cohesive. 2/5

BitBucket
Mar 17, 2003

by Fistgrrl

quote:

Aatrek came out of the closet to say:
There were also a lot of plot holes that were never answered - for example, why does memory loss change the physical world around you? How did Gary Sinise's character know about the loving aliens? Where did the "taken" people go? That kind of stuff really bugged me.

Ugh, preach on. This movie was pretty good except for these huge plot holes. The entire thing is laughably implausible ALIENS are running an experiment on memory erausre, and if they can't erase your memories, they just take you by doing a cool swoosh thing. Unless you're the main character, then, for some reason, they let you stay and give you back your kid.

I found the acting was rather boring and predictable, with everyone having one dimensional responses to everything. There were a few surprises and a few unnecessary "out of loving nowhere" moments too facemorphing alien "YOU MUST FORGET!".

The plot was never tidied up, which I also dislike. The movie just kind of ended.

Overall? 2.0/5. Wait for it to come out on video, don't blow money on this. Heck, wait for it to not even be a new release. You aren't missing much.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This movie was a piece of poo poo. I can't even count the number of ideas stolen from other movies and even TV shows, all very poorly executed and tied together with a completely retarded and predicatble "twist".

The studio board room meeting probably went something like this:

Ok, what we want is like a really terrible 7th season episode of The X-Files. Be sure you remove any character chemistry and give everything interesting away in the 90-second trailer. Oh, and you should startle the poo poo out of people a couple of times because everyone thinks that makes it a scary movie. Also be sure to leave out any kind of logical wrap-ups such as why the bitch misses her kid like crazy but just blows off the fact that her husband is reprogrammed to forget her. One last thing, you'll want to portray a New York City where women walk alone in the park at night and there are apparently no hobos in sight, even in the shittiest alleyways and industrial areas.

0.5/5

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.
Holy christ.

This is seriously like one of the worst movies ever, and I'll have you know I've seen both "Signs" and "The Village."

Not that this is an M. Knight Shalamalalama joint, but it's as bad.

Good: Julianne Moore's creamy white thighs. Mmmmmmm, pale.
Bad: Everything else. Most of this has already been said, but it bears repeating. I am an advanced alien race with the apparent capability for interstellar (at a minimum) travel, but I'm unable to create a local transport method that doesn't involve annihilating structures. I'm also unaware of the concept of risk management.

Experiment Executive Summary:

HYPOTHESIS:

*remember to fill this in before submitting to superiors*

EXPERIMENT:

Lesse if we can make parents forget their kids! Haha yeah, punked!

METHOD:

First, we'll create a puppet AIRLINE. Yes, a loving airline, with routes, multiple planes, etc. Okay, now one of these planes will CRASH but NOT REALLY DUDES WE'LL TAKE IT AND ALL THE KIDS ON IT LOL!!! And anyone who's not kids we'll, uhm, use for food or something who cares. Then, we'll use advanced technology like Photoshop and wallpaper (DON'T FORGET WALLPAPER GLUE) to cover up any evidence of the kids existence HAH! I know this is my first away mission but I am so FRIGGIN STOKED IT'S GONNA BE RAD!

PROPOSED BENEFIT OF SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME:

*To Be Determined*

I mean seriously. *Why?* Why the gently caress would any presumably logical species do this poo poo? "Congrats, Alien dude, you've successfully disolved the link between parents and kids. Now what?" "Uh, oh snap."

I also really enjoyed how Julianne Moore's character immediately jumps to the conclusion that it must be aliens. CAN'T BE THE DOT GOV MUST BE ALIENS LOL. WTF, Occam is rolling over in his motherfucking grave.

What a collosal bag of rear end. Huff some paint and watch some X-Files episodes instead, you'll get the same effect, including a pale redhead, only Scully's not as snivelly

0.5/5

LowJack
Jun 27, 2003

This movie is utterly and completely terrible.

1 out of 5

Subotai
Jan 24, 2004

Did anyone notice the boom mic in at least 4 of the shots? One time it was in 25% of the shot.

Other than watching the mic, the movie was pretty good. There were some truely scary moments, but it was basically a average - above average movie.

3/5

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

I went into this movie knowing nothing about it, not even seeing a trailer. I was pleasantly suprised. The story kept me guessing, and when I thought that Julianne Moore's character was really a nutjob, it turns out she was right all along. I thought the story was very well done, and the acting was decent. Overall, definately worth checking out. 4/5

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

The movie blew its load too quickly. Twenty minutes in and they already know thatOMG ALIENSARE DOING IT!!!!
That loving killed it right there.

1/5

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I thought it was pretty decent up until the last ten minutes.

It managed to keep me fairly in suspense up until that point, but then decided to just NOT loving GO INTO ANY OF THE COOL poo poo IT KEPT ME IN SUSPENSE ABOUT.

Seriously, we don't loving care about your goddamn kids! Show us the cool alien poo poo!

phunkybeatgirl
Mar 20, 2003
AznGamer and Crazy Newbie gave me this account, what studs they are!
Good:

Julianne Moore is hot. I also enjoyed the company of the person with whom I attended the movie.

Some scary "surprises" here and there if you're into that. You know, quiet one second, and the next thing you know, loud noise. I don't dig it.

Bad:

The ripple in the sky gave it all away about 10 minutes into the movie. I was like oh, aliens. Lame.

Conclusion: 1.5/5 for Julianne Moore. Don't even bother renting it.

meteorite
Sep 23, 2004

Hay guys Indonesia oughta be nuked for convicting such a pretty dope smuggler amirite? (not racist)
So what if it read like an episode of the X-files? The exploration of the bond between mother and child was truly touching. Maybe you have to have two x chromosomes to get it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
What a stupid message to this movie: If you love someone enough, they will come back to life. This movie couldn't deal with death.

Cade
May 27, 2004

Oh my god.
This was the worst movie I have ever seen. Full of tinfoil-cliches and lovely acting. The beginning part was rushed and I felt nothing but apathy for all of the characters. Also a lovely ending. Several people audibly said "What the gently caress!? ALIENS!?" when the two main characters started talking about WHO TOOK THEIR CHILDREN :(:(

Also,
Two average citizens beating up and outrunning Feds? GET hosed.

I should have walked out but I didn't, mainly because I tried to convince myself by saying, "surely this is going to have a major plot twist!" Instead, I left with a bleeding rear end in a top hat - I'd just been hosed out of $12. GG MOVIE COMPANY

0/5

Jiggs
May 31, 2001
Where the hell is Bulgaria?
I liked this movie better than most of the reviewers here. It was suspensful, I didn't see most of the scares coming. Then again, I don't try to guess ahead of time when I watch a movie.

Yes it was a big episode of X-Files. But that's not so bad.

Innate
Feb 20, 2003

It's amazing how fast something with great potential can turn into poo poo. Once the "twist" is revealed, everything is annoyingly loving obvious. The movie just wouldn't let me figure out anything on my own. Yet I ended up knowing nothing. It gave me no answers at all. Horrible movie, that just seems to get stuck and invents aliens so it doesn't have to bother explaining anything really. And as many have said, it ends up looking just like an X-files episode. And not even one of the good ones from 93-94. This is by far the worst movie I have seen in the past few years that I actually had some expectations from. 0.5.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
It seems that nowadays people go to a film, watch for the "twist" then switch their brain off. So films have twists, twists don't make or break the film (as seen in Saw). Open your eyes, people.

There were alot of good things about this movie. I thought the direction was excellent (not ground-shaking but certainly better than Oliver Stone's direction in Alexander), the score was above average and the moments that made me jump stayed away from the cliched quiet... quiet... quiet... LOUD formula.

It did feel like two different film genres that switched halfway through but I like that. Films that feel they must stick to their specified genre can end up stagnant and repetitive.

There were several moments that made me jump I'd stepped out to the toilet when the car crash bit was on unfortunately, and am I the only one who was scared by the Aphex Twin morph at the end?

I wish they'd cast someone other than Juilanne Moore as I can't stand her. But apart from that, a worthwhile film.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

My girlfriend picked this movie out at Blockbuster last night and after reading the synopsis on the back of the case, I thought it was going to be a pretty good movie. It could have been great and thats the saddest part.

There were some things to like about The Forgotten. I particularly liked Julianne Moore's acting. She stood out from the rest of the rather generic actors that worked along side her. The story was intruiging and up until the second half of the movie I was readily waiting for the plot to unravel. It was hard to believe it could take such a nosedive from there.

And then it happened. Ill put this part in spoilers.

It seemed like the writers just didnt know how to correctly close the movie so they resorted to ALIENS! Not just regular aliens, mind you, but super aliens who can erase your thoughts AND change the physical world in a single moment! This part really bugged me. How in the hell did they make things like Sams room and Tellys marriage completely dissapear immediately? MAGIC MOTHERFUCKING ALIENS BABY. It made no sense whatsoever to the point that it was completely unbelievable for me. They clearly were a crutch that the writers used to keep from having to tie up loose ends or write a remotely fulfilling conclusion to the movie. No closure whatsoever. Everything just magically POOFs and the world is back to normal again. Where did the taken people go? How did they erase peoples thoughts? Why were they experimenting with Telly? Who are the aliens? How did they change the physical world in an instant? How did Ash magically return? Why did I waste four perfectly good dollars on this movie? Who? When? Where? How? gently caress you buddy, you dont need to know that. All you need to know is that they are MAGICAL ALIENS!

Do yourself a favor and never, ever watch this movie.

1/5 (Julianne Moore earned that 1 all by herself, the rest of this movie diserves a 0)