Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Directed by: Shane Meadows
Starring: Paddy Considine

Dead Man's Shoes
Cert 18
Released 1/10/04 (UK)

If you are currently sitting in the UK an are within 10 miles of a cinema I urge you to go see this film before the lastest Hollywood no-brainer pushes it off the smallest screen in there!

Directed by Shane Meadows, this carries on his love affair with the scum of the English after "Once Upon a Time in the Midlands" and "A Room for Romeo Brass". An older brother returns to his rural Derbyshire village after serving in the army, but the visit is not one of a pleasent nature. He has come to see his younger brother, Anthony, who suffers from a metal disablity. Anthony stayed in the village while Richard joined the forces, and fell in with a bunch of petty thugs and drug dealers. From the outset of the film we know something happened to Ant but are never clear what exactly happened. We are given flashbacks showing the abuse of Ant each time giving us a little bit more to hate the criminals for.

The two brothers retreat to an abandoned farm on the outskirts of the village, and while Richard makes 'house calls' to the band of cronies, Ant stays out of the action waiting for him to return.

The action is raw and realistic, with some scenes feeling like Mr Meadows played a few games of 'Manhunt' while creating the script with Paddy Considine (who plays the lead of Richard). All parts of the film really add to the atmosphere, the locations are perfect, a wonderful score, cinematopghy that feels so drat personal you sit there thinking "should I really be watching this - this is nothing to do with me?". But the biggest factor of this film is the acting, the most breathtaking I have seen in a long time.

The 'gang' work wonderfully together lead by the bully Sonny, at first seeming like a fun loving unit for whom nothing is a problem. Over the course of them film they fall apart like wet bread, part in awe of Richards skill and in absolute fear of him. You are given more flashbacks, but you question if theythey really deserve this. The punishment far outweighs the crime, and maybe Richard is getting too carried away with his gas mask.

This is not a typical slasher film. This is a unbelievably dark revenge film. There are parts that will disturb you, and parts that will absoluty take your breath away with tension (one scene between Sonny and Richard will put chills down you). About 10 people walked out of the showing I was in.

Film of the year so far for me, but like the Directors other two efforts I feel it will sink. Watch it while you can.

RATING: 4

PROS: Breath taking performances, difficult plot handed very well.
CONS: Sometimes feels a little improvised

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0419677/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonnyChiba
Sep 6, 2004
I really don't understand why it's being labelled as a slasher film, attatching that tag just puts some people off I feel. For me this was one of the greatest British cinema experiences in recent memory; they're comparing Paddy Considine to De Niro and with excellent cause. It's one of the first films that has used England in a different way, without the social realist crap and East End London setting. It's got a strage feel to it, the streets are deserted giving it a Sergio Leone Fistful of Dollars vibe. It's not as violent as I was lead to believe, but that's no bad thing as it makes for it bucketloads through story and character. I'm sick and tired of seeing crap British films and this made a very pleasant change. Performances are excellent, the camera work is VERY simple, doesn't attract attention to itself in the slightest, and music, well, I can't remember the music very well. Oh, and it's excellent. Did I say it was excellent?

4.5 out 5.