Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
There aren't many real laughs to be had in this series, but I did snicker at this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Having finished it, it's pretty awesome. I have a few minor criticisms:

- For such a politically progressive show, the gender balance is kinda poo poo, there's no non-love interest female characters like, I guess some admirals or whatever.

- The narrator tends to be too informative at the expense of the drama. This especially got grating towards the end when he directly explains Oberstein's motives.

- I think Terraism is a little too thinly fleshed out. It seems too moustache-twirly evil to have the dedicated following and plot-scrambling powers that it has.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I interpreted his scene with Reuental to mean that Reuental, at least, figured that they were simply being practical by pinning it on him

And I don't care about spoilers either, I just believe show-don't-tell is better storytelling than the Narrator directly giving us Oberstein's state of mind. Dude has a second-in-command who can easily function as a sounding board.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 15, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I do wish the Alliance was more diverse. You've basically got Yang and Murai, Mashengo and Sitolet, and otherwise it's as white as the Reich.

I would kill for a modern remix of this show like Berserk and Hellsing got. It wouldn't necessarily be better than the original, and it's not like two can't both exist, but you could do some amazing fleet battles with even cut-rate modern CGI :allears:

Elotana fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 18, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The series is about depth and realism more than anything else. People just don't usually get dramatic blaze of glory deaths. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Kircheis taking the blast and Bucock's dramatic last stand at Mar-Adetta. Reinhard dies of illness, Schenkopp gets stabbed by an overlooked mook, Oberstein is blown up by Terraists, Merkatz and Reuental get hit by bridge shrapnel (although the latter gets to ham it up for an extra episode and shoot Trunicht). A bunch of other second-tier folks just get plain shot as well. Yang's death perfectly fit his character and the series.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Two caveats: if you're intending on a temporary stay in vacuum you need to exhale as much air as you can and you need to squint your eyes shut (like Dave did in 2001). Otherwise your lungs might rupture and your corneas might dessicate beyond repair.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Bittenfeld is basically TNG Worf, he exists to bare his teeth and then get poo poo on

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Rochallor posted:

How many people are there in the universe in LoGH? In one episode Poplan mentions that there are 40 billion humans, which seems pretty small for a galactic civilization. But I guess it's possible if outside of the capital planets everything is the frontier.

But then you have things like the first episode where halfway through a battle, one side's casualties are like three million. That's, like, a significant portion of the entire human race.

Has the war just ground down the population that low, or did somebody lowball the population of the galaxy at some point?

Just to be safe, I'm around episode 70. I don't think this sort of thing could be a spoiler though.
For an all-consuming world (galactic) war, it's pretty proportional. The worst defeat in the series was probably (this spoiler's safe for you) the Armlitzer campaign which had 20 million losses. Lots of characters in Season 2/3 keep bringing up the fact that it pretty well kneecapped the Alliance for the rest of the series.

Your WWII analogy for that would be Barbarossa where the death toll was up to 5 million depending on your estimates. That's an even bigger portion of the human race, which at the time was only 2.3 billion. Some sources also put the deaths in the USSR's Dnieper counter-offensives in the seven-figure range. The moral of the story is the Eastern Front really sucked.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 14, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The back half of Season 1 can be especially jarring because at times the reanimated footage gets cut in not just scene-by-scene, but shot-by-shot alongside original footage. Watch this scene where Reinhard and Oberstein are talking in Episode 25 for an example of this (spoilers for season 1 obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnPTXQYVP8&t=614s

Elotana fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 5, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Cubemario posted:

They didn't change his role, he died about a year or so after his role had finished. Nobody else voiced him, to my knowledge.
The gaiden OVA were made after the main series OVA finished, there's a replacement Yang voice for his appearances there. It's more noticeable in the first season (where Yang only speaks in the last few episodes of Hundred Billion Stars), he had the voice pretty much down by Spiral Labyrinth.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Tokuma Shoten just took LOGH off Youtube :mad:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Despite the Western gloss, LoGH is pretty explicitly based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It's not an outright remake but definitely a space-themed remix. Yang is Zhuge Liang, Reinhard is Cao Cao, etc. The scene where Minister Silverbirch falls ill and his second-in-command can't keep up with his workload and resigns, only to have Reinhard tell him that if he were as good as Silverbirch then he wouldn't be second-in-command is one of many scenes that are near-direct lifts from parables in RoTK. This (and the character of Yang) makes a lot more sense when you realize that the author of the books is a gigantic Chinese history nerd (check out his bibliography).

Elotana fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 2, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

On rewatch (ep 26) Oberstein almost certainly made up the Lichtenlade thing. Hildegard tells us nothing beyond him having vague plans to backstab Reinhard at some point, and Ansbach regretfully remarking "The Goldenbaums are finished" while he thought he was alone makes no sense if he's working for Lichtenlade, who is a Goldenbaum loyalist, just backing a different one.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

4th season: Iserlohn needed more development. The 4th season is incredibly Reich-heavy especially the first half, where you basically have one Iserlohn-centric episode and maybe 4-5 scenes after that until Reuental is defeated.

It also never made sense to me that Iserlohn basically let Frederica and Julian inherit power from Yang on anything but a short-term basis. We never saw the Iserlohn "Republic" engage any kind of democracy.

That section (which I guess corresponds to the 9th novel) could've been improved by maybe having them struggle a little bit more keeping control and actually running things, especially isolated from trade and such. There's some token dialogue about how much they miss Yang but it doesn't have any concrete consequences.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Has there been any news about the supposed remake that was announced last year?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Krataar posted:

Why is the death star such a big deal. Can't they just go around it?
The warp drives have a limited range and need a gravity well to work and Phezzan and Iserlohn are the bottlenecks in chains of stars between the galactic arms that allow ships to get from one to the other. Iserlohn has no planets so they built the fortress betweeen the two navigational beacons going each way.

It's explained more clearly in the novels but ultimately it's still plot hand-waving, though, just go with it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

They really aren't as good as the anime, but cool

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Well... touché

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The novel is like 50% fake history book. Not only is the author huge on exposition, he's huge on repeating it every time a particular subject is brought up. Also insane amounts of detail. You know that scene where Reinhard just starts listing personnel for Operation Ragnarok, and he names like the entire Empire cast plus ten guys that you never hear about again? That happens a lot in the books. As dry as the anime is the novel makes it look like FLCL by comparison

What I'm saying is temper your expectations

Elotana fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 4, 2015

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

-baum is no more inherently Jewish than -berg

It's just German and most Ashkenazi Jews happen to trace their ancestry to German-speaking parts of Europe

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Uznare posted:

attenborough doesnt exist in the novels. quite a bit of fluff in the first season isnt there either iirc.
Attenborough exists in the novels, he just isn't there until the equivalent of Season 2. Hopefully they keep that revision or make a similar one instead of making Yang's story nothing but painful Death-Note-length internal monologues.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm guessing it probably won't happen with this upcoming new series, but I'd be happy to see LOGH get a few characters' genders changed. I want to see some lady admirals, damnit!
Wenli is a unisex name in Chinese :ssh:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Patter Song posted:

Edit: Alliance Rear Admiral Caselnes' name will take some time to get used to, although Caselnes is not really odder than Cazellnu. "Job Trünicht," complete with umlaut, dramatically changes the sound of that character's name and raises questions. Is he descended from recent Imperial refugees?
Trunicht is a pretty clearly Teutonic name with or without the umlaut

Also, I always thought Alex's surname was supposed to be Cazenave (an actual French surname)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Patter Song posted:

I am looking forward to writing all my impressions of volume 3 when it comes out soon.
Every single attempt at a fan translation has bogged down in Book 2 so this should be good. Dusty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Is this the crazy manga that gender-swaps Rubinsky