Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RePeelableDecals
Aug 13, 2004
Directed by: Shane Meadows
Starring: Paddy Considine

i am not one for the pomp and circumstance of awards, but in this case, I hope this film receives a US release in time for Considine to pick up the Oscar for best leading man. He thoroughly deserves it.

I don't know how easy it is to come by in America, but you should definitely check out Meadows and Considines' previous feature 'A Room For Romeo Brass'.

In that film considine plays a clown who acts the hard man, and turns in a fresh and unsettling performance. His threats 'to go dark on you' are found to be all talk in that film, but in 'Dead man...' he goes dark...real dark. His bark in one scene (if you see it, you'll know which one) set my sphincter into a quiver with it's intensity and delivery. There seem to be comparisons between early De Niro and Considine, and they aren't far off the mark.

The film overall does have it's flaws, but mostly they are dramatic requirements in order to strip the story down to it's bare necessities.

It is funny, unsettling, riveting. And by the end, palpably sad.

Seek this one out, and at the very least, Considine's performance deserves 2 hours of your attention.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Performances, Dialogue, distinctive reality.
CONS: bare-bones plot..but not a problem.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU