Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoeK
May 15, 2003
We dont die we multiply
Directed by: Oliver Hirschbiegel
Starring: Bruno Ganz, Alexandra Maria Lara, Corinna Harfouch

A movie about the last days of Hitler in Berlin.

The movie is based on the story of Traudl Junge, a typist / personal assistant of Hitler. The story starts around 1944 when Traudl starts working for Hitler, after a good 10 / 15 minutes of introduction on the characters the movie rolls towards the final days of the third reich.

The enviroment is mainly the bunker under the reichstag, the shots outside give a good view on the crumbling state of the third reich.

In my opinion Hitler is played great, some say he was made to "human". The contradiction between the old, tired Hitler and the energetic Hitler with frequent anger eruptions is played very good.
Also the feeling that the end is near followed whith the actions of the leaders, soldiers is pictured beautifull.

RATING: 5

PROS: Historical accuracy, Enviroment
CONS: A lot of the army officers look like eachother

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apedoktor
Jan 7, 2004
Fantastic movie.

It has been nominated for an Oscar as Best Foreign Movie, and rightfully so.

Zombie Dictator
Jan 14, 2005

by angerbotSD
No offense, but your review was pretty useless.

However, I do agree with your end result. This is a movie that should be required viewing for anyone who has any interest whatsoever in World War 2, or the stage of world politics.

What makes this movie so great is it's realistic portrail of life in the final days of the Third Reich. It's never too sympathic or too unsympathetic. People claim this portrays Hitler as too human, which is an assinine statement to make. There are times you do feel genuine sympathy for Hitler, like when he's told by his only true friend, Albert Speer, that he disobeyed his orders. On one hand, you feel empathy for Hitler. In his mind, all he wanted to do was work for his people and bring them glory. But then seconds later, he freely admits to either indifference or desire to see their own destruction. It shows the true duality of Hitler: A man who sometimes like a saint for his people one moment, and then the bringer of their destruction the next.

My only complaint about this movie is I wish more time was spent on other major Nazi figures instead of idealizing SS doctors and their "heroic" efforts to save their people from the Russians. I would have rather seen more of Himmler's attempt to negociate with the Allies, Goering's indifference to the Reich as long as he has his riches, and Speer's crisis of conscience to do what his Fuhrer asks of him and what is best for the people. I would have liked to see how Germans respected the Americans and British, but hated and feared the Russians. Say what you will about the Nazis, but they had a damned good reason to continue to fight the Russians rather than just giving up.

It's amazing that even in the final days of the Reich, as the buildings around them crumble, people are still entraced by Hitler and unwilling to admit the obvious: defeat is inevitable.

Voted 4.5/5

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Your reviews are great for the first 1/2 of the movie. The second half was tripe. It took several points given throughout the poignant first 1/2 and beat them literally to death during the second half. About two and a half hours in, I simply had to yell, "I get it. I loving get it. I'm not goddamned retarded!" and walked out.

The movie spends so long hammering out its points that it turns a fantastic piece of film into a ridiculous abortion of a drama. Every single point the movie tries to make is hammered into your head a thousand times over.

The first half: 5.5/5. It was absolutely amazing and one of the best pieces of cinema I've seen.

The second half: An abortion put to film. 0.5/5

It evens out at a 3.

Piney
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

CaptainScraps came out of the closet to say:
points points points

Stop saying points so much. If you left two and a half hours into the movie, you left when it ended. This movie isn't about "points", it's about accurately describing the last days of Hitler and his closest people. You obviously misunderstood the point of the movie.

Personally I thought it was the most thought-provoking movies I've seen in a long time.

5/5

Piney fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 13, 2005

yersi
Dec 21, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I can't find any fault with this movie. It is powerful and haunting, impeccably acted, filmed and scored. With this, Das Boot and Der Blechtrommel, it should be pretty clear to everyone by now that Germans make the best WWII movies.

5/5

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I enjoyed this movie. I never get the sense that Hitler is either demonized or humanized in this movie. The movie presents him as a leader of a nation that is collapsing on all sides, and he cannot accept his role in the regime's failure. The movie presents enough so you can empathize with the ideas that all of his friends can no longer follow him, and how isolated and alone he feels. This is all mitigated when he discusses how the German people deserve all that's coming, and at the very least the problem with the Jews have been dealt with.

I can't talk about historical accuracy, but it's a well made film, cinematically, musically, with stellar actors, that does an excellent job at objectively looking at Hitler and his mental downfall at then end of the Third Reich.

4.5/5

V-Men fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 17, 2005

phazer
May 14, 2003

chirp chirp i'm a buffalo
I thought it was a really good film. It was very interesting to see a movie so up close with Hitler.

5/5

phazer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 4, 2013

TheKioskZone
Oct 23, 2004

quote:

Zombie Dictator came out of the closet to say:
No offense, but your review was pretty useless.

i agree with that , but i vote a 5

BaronVonKleist
Jul 30, 2005
One likes to believe in the freedom of music
Oh man, this movie was incredible!

Being a huge Nazi Germany history buff, I had to drive to some out of the way theater to see this, but man was it worth it. The actors chosen to play certain characters were spot on in both the way they looked and the way they acted. Bruno Ganz as Hitler was a perfect cast.

I would have to say my two favorite parts of the movie were either where Albert Speer is standing outside of the ReichChancellery building, or when they showed a few frames of Waffen SS soldiers in full smock camo. God what a good movie.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Brilliant.

Bruno Ganz turned in probably the most effective acting performance I've ever seen.

Downright amazing.

5.5/5