Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but what the gently caress? I go through the Millarworld forums now and then, and there's always a loving thread where these jackasses talk about how loving great he is. What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

"Rob's art is "cool." Not in the way that Hitch's art is cool or Cassaday's art is cool. Cool in a different way-- in a way that grabs your attention. It's flashy, dynamic, and exciting."

Rob's art is different from the other two in that they don't loving suck and command a mastery of basic human expression and perspective.

"Rob's stuff is just plain cool, no two ways about it. People who get caught up in the odd proportions or awkward poses or empty backgrounds are missing the point - it's the impression of motion and *e*motion that counts."

http://www.millarworld.net/index.php?showtopic=41851

:(:ssj:

It doesn't make sense, it just.... argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
Apparently the only emotion an artist needs to be capable of illustrating is TEETH-GRITTING RAGE.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
OH NO! PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS ABOUT THINGS! THEY MUST BE STUPID!

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...
I just wanted to note. Rob has his own thread there that he frequents. The tread is over 100 pages of Leifeld love :wtf:

#sa-comics on synirc.net

Dr. Chris
May 11, 2004
The doctor is in.
I don't think you're allowed to air a negative opinion on an artist there, especially Rob, who seems to be a good friend of Millar's.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
So long as there are fourteen year old boys, Rob Liefeld will have a job. As a further consequence, there will also be an eternal flow of disenchanted twenty-somethings who come to realize the error of their prior fandom.

That said, I get more joy from disliking Liefeld's art than I ever did from thinking it was cool when I was teenager, so perhaps he's not all bad after all.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

quote:

Speak came out of the closet to say:

I'm sorry, but supporting Liefeld's style of artwork IS wrong. This man could change his entire career by simply spending 5 hours a week life drawing, you can't tell me that companies like DC and Marvel don't provide nude model life drawing sessions for the artists to practice with.

I mean my god, when I grab my portfolio right now and look at 6 random subway drawings, I can be guaranteed that at least some of them are maintaining decent proportions, and if they don't? I simply draw more people next time I'm on the train. I don't see why this man isn't improving, it's loving insane.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

quote:

I'm willing to accept a lot in the spirit of tolerance, but sometimes people's opinions are just plain wrong.

You are familiar with who we're talking about, right?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

quote:

In this instance? Yeah. They are.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
"People who get caught up in the odd proportions or awkward poses or empty backgrounds are missing the point - it's the impression of motion and *e*motion that counts."

Did he even read that before he posted? Don't bother replying; the answer's probably yes. :(

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Nobody has to know...

quote:

Dr. Chris came out of the closet to say:
I don't think you're allowed to air a negative opinion on an artist there, especially Rob, who seems to be a good friend of Millar's.

I know. The thing is...there are there are that many comments on how cool Leifeld is.

#sa-comics on synirc.net

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

quote:

antisocial came out of the closet to say:

I know. The thing is...there are there are that many comments on how cool Leifeld is.

Spare the banstick, spoil the idiot.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

In the old Liefeld-hate Megathread a few months back someone offered an explanation that I think sums it up nicely. I'll try to paraphrase what I remember.

Basically, Liefeld's style, however sloppy or just sometimes plain bad, appealed to a certain younger teen set because his characters were essentially ridiculous teenage fantasies. Younger kids and people not familiar with basics of drawing figures respond to the grim expressions, massive muscles and excess of sharp and futuristic weaponry as "cool". And don't get me started on the way he draws women.

I don't want to sound like an elitist, but Liefeld's work tends to be very sloppy, all his original ideas were pretty much used up in the character of Cable, and everything he has done since then has been a rehash of that or blatantly stolen from other, better talents in the industry. The only people I could imagine who support him now are new fans taken in by his overblown style, or people who got suckered in years ago and have never moved beyond his derivative work.

Or I could be wrong, and it's all a matter of taste.

Measure
May 27, 2003

quote:

deadpan came out of the closet to say:
I don't want to sound like an elitist, but Liefeld's work tends to be very sloppy, all his original ideas were pretty much used up in the character of Cable, and everything he has done since then has been a rehash of that or blatantly stolen from other, better talents in the industry.
I agree. It's the same way these days with some of these "fill-in" artists. The anime (I guess I should say manga but that would imply a level of skill few American artists bother to achieve since the inker just fixes everything) look can be done well, but so often it's just a way for artists to be lazy and give everyone hosed up proportions.

And there's nothing I hate more than picking up an issue of a book I like and finding out that this very emotional issue is done in some shitastic anime style. NO. That's when you make the characters look real! Oh do I hate fill-in artists.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Nobody has to know...

quote:

Measure came out of the closet to say:
I agree. It's the same way these days with some of these "fill-in" artists. The anime (I guess I should say manga but that would imply a level of skill few American artists bother to achieve since the inker just fixes everything) look can be done well, but so often it's just a way for artists to be lazy and give everyone hosed up proportions.

And there's nothing I hate more than picking up an issue of a book I like and finding out that this very emotional issue is done in some shitastic anime style. NO. That's when you make the characters look real! Oh do I hate fill-in artists.

2 issues of Robin before the whole Steph-replacement thing did this... I couldn't stand it.

#sa-comics on synirc.net

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
They used the same word to describe the art of Rob Liefeld as they used to describe Hitch and Cassaday.

:(

Jog
Oct 14, 2004

I am a font of delite
The thing is, the first issue of Liefeld's X-Force sold quite well; it placed easily in the Top 20 for the month. Sure it dropped a good portion of its readership on the second issue after the novelty and nostalgia began to wear off, but it was still moving over 50,000 copies as of September, placing just out of the Top 30. I think it's the fact that stuff like X-Force sells so much better than so many other comics that really ticks people off...

Here's some sales analysis.

Jog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 18, 2004

Malleus
Apr 19, 2003

by Lowtax

quote:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
I dont mind his "style", I just hate his total disregard for anatomy.

----------------

trenchfoot fetish
Jun 22, 2004
You guys said his name three times, so I have to post this.

I'M READY FOR ACTION HERE AND I HAVE THAT CHEEKMASK THING YOU LIKE

----------------

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

quote:

smearmfish came out of the closet to say:

http://img118.exs.cx/img118/2360/imveryexcited.jpg

I think it's admirable that she still wants to have a superhero career and help people after growing up with the stigma of having been dropped on her head resulting in serious occipital/orbital malformation. Maybe we've been wrong about liefeld all along; maybe his art is rebellion against the hollywood too perfect symetry of the marvel way.

Then never tell me you love me again because I don't want your love all over my face. You sicko.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

I don't see what's so wrong OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH HER FACE

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

quote:

haha, you can even see the shading marks where he started to draw her eye in the correct place, but then decided to move it over two inches. Oh Rob.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

quote:

Malleus came out of the closet to say:
[url]http://img128.exs.cx/img128/4386/liefieldarm.th.jpg[/URL]

I looked at this for a good few minutes and I still can't quite wrap my mind around how that arm is working.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 18, 2004

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

quote:

Gunjin came out of the closet to say:
I looked at this for a good few minuters and I still can't quite wrap my mind around how that arm is working.
My theory is that it's actually his leg and he has inverted knees.

And why has no one posted the picture of Enormous Breasts Captain America?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Might as well do all the old standards:

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

quote:

Dr. Chris came out of the closet to say:
See, that's why I can't read MillarWorld. I know a big portion of the big names read and post there, but so does Liefeld. And he's just scum of the industry.

quote:

Liefeld is just about the only artist in the industry who is genuinely and independantly verifyably BAD. I mean, the guy's proud of the fact that he never took so much as a freshman art class. That says something. He always draws freehand (you can tell by the misshapen faces, randomly broken musculature and randomly sized limbs). And he never erases. The biggest example of this is the legendary Heroes Reborn Captain America picture where he started the thing in profile, decided that wasn't exciting enough, then finished the picture from three-forths perspective.

The most remarkable man in the universe thanks to his mastery of inter-planetary science. . .

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

quote:

Unbelievably Fat Man came out of the closet to say:
And he never erases. The biggest example of this is the legendary Heroes Reborn Captain America picture where he started the thing in profile, decided that wasn't exciting enough, then finished the picture from three-forths perspective.

Is this the origin of the famous Captain America Boobies picture?

ToasterThief
Jun 1, 2001
Let's all just get along.
I haVe this theory that liefeld actually smokes up when he's drawing.

Thus he starts off with a plan but as he gets more wasted he starts to deviate around the page.

Samedi
Aug 26, 2003

I turn evil.
First off, I don't like his work.

[derail]Second, why is every thread in this forum a circle-jerk? "Poll: Do you like comics?!?" wouldn't be an unusual sight the way things are going.[/derail]

Anyway, I think the reason he keeps getting work isn't because some bigwigs are Marvel and DC cream their pants everytime they see his artwork, but because he can draw poo poo month after month after month and get it out. The same thing applies to Austen and writing. It may be poo poo, but DC/Marvel make money for selling 1 issue of your comic each month. When Mark "I still haven't put out Wanted #6" Millar takes 6 months to put out an issue, it may be a modern epic when it's done, but they still only get $3 a copy. That's $3 over 6 months vs. $18 over 6 months and Liefeld/Austen just help pay the bills better.

So, short version, we could all get about 6 comics every 4 months that are of extraordinary literary quality or we can get a bunch of Liefeld and Austen work and I kind of like my weekly fix.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

quote:

Why does the one that is talking have her mouth closed while the one that's not has hers open?

Maybe I shouldn't try to think about it.

Dr. Chris
May 11, 2004
The doctor is in.

quote:

Samedi came out of the closet to say:
Anyway, I think the reason he keeps getting work isn't because some bigwigs are Marvel and DC cream their pants everytime they see his artwork, but because he can draw poo poo month after month after month and get it out. The same thing applies to Austen and writing. It may be poo poo, but DC/Marvel make money for selling 1 issue of your comic each month. When Mark "I still haven't put out Wanted #6" Millar takes 6 months to put out an issue, it may be a modern epic when it's done, but they still only get $3 a copy. That's $3 over 6 months vs. $18 over 6 months and Liefeld/Austen just help pay the bills better.
Remember Yongblood:Bloodsport #1 that came out, what, last year? #2 still hasn't come out, as far as I know. I wouldn't call the guy a workhorse. That is not the only example in his history.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.

quote:

Crion came out of the closet to say:

I don't see what's so wrong OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH HER FACE

:laffo: it looks like he STARTED to draw her eyesocket in the correct spot, and then said "ah, gently caress-it" and then drew it like an inch off center.

in fact i think that's his method, he gets an idea, starts drawing, and then walks away for about 3 hours, then he comes back and starts drawing whatever he was working on from a different angle. The Captain America picture looks like he was supposed to be angled towards the camera a little, but by the time he got to the right side of the body he decided it'd look better if it was a profile shot.

also, why does every dude he draws have a wrinkly face?! they all have these vertical lines on their faces that make their skin look like shoe-leather.

even METAL body parts have these wrinkles! What the gently caress Rob... Honestly.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

quote:

Samedi came out of the closet to say:
[derail]Second, why is every thread in this forum a circle-jerk? "Poll: Do you like comics?!?" wouldn't be an unusual sight the way things are going.[/derail]

Would you rather have hundred page threads that were nothing more than childish bickering among comic nerds over some minor detail?
Give it time, this forum's still relatively new and needs to establish a baseline of what's good.

Plus, making fun of Rob Liefeld, never, never, gets old.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
If the circle-jerking is a problem, just post "Superman vs. Batman - Who would REALLY win?" once a week.

And watch the filthy, godless Superman fans come out of the woodwork to defend their silly blue boyscout.

And this is probably the wrong thread for asserting a Unimind problem. Bitching about Liefeld is like bitching about venereal disease.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

quote:

Gunjin came out of the closet to say:

I looked at this for a good few minutes and I still can't quite wrap my mind around how that arm is working.

Apparently Badrock has two elbows and a reverve-mounted wrist. It also appears to me that he has but a single arm growing from a grotesque fleshy protusion in the center of his chest. I still haven't quite figured where the hell the guy he is hitting is supposed to be standing, though. And wouldn't he have to be roughly 20ft. tall? And how does Badrock's arm rotate that far back in the shoulder joint? And...must stop...before brain... explodes... :machoteethgritting:

Protocol 5 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 18, 2004

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

quote:

Baelfael came out of the closet to say:

Is this the origin of the famous Captain America Boobies picture?

(Not mine, possibly :nws: if enlarged)

I don't know which one I like more.

edit: The penis one.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

quote:

Protocol 5 came out of the closet to say:

Apparently Badrock has two elbows and a reverve-mounted wrist. It also appears to me that he has but a single arm growing from a grotesque fleshy protusion in the center of his chest. I still haven't quite figured where the hell the guy he is hitting is supposed to be standing, though. And wouldn't he have to be roughly 20ft. tall? And how does Badrock's arm rotate that far back in the shoulder joint? And...must stop...before brain... explodes... :machoteethgritting:
Nah, he's only got one elbow, the first giant muscle there (the biggest one with the pterodactyl shaped vein) is supposed to be his lat, not his tricep. It seems like Liefeld forgot that in the middle of drawing though, based on the shape. I'm still trying to find badrock's hand though.

----------------

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

quote:

Panty_HaX0r came out of the closet to say:

Nah, he's only got one elbow, the first giant muscle there (the biggest one with the pterodactyl shaped vein) is supposed to be his lat, not his tricep. It seems like Liefeld forgot that in the middle of drawing though, based on the shape. I'm still trying to find badrock's hand though.

Just give up... its not worth the madness that attempting to find rhyme or reason in a Liefeld drawing brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomo1
Mar 21, 2004

by Fistgrrl

quote:

ToasterThief came out of the closet to say:
I haVe this theory that liefeld actually smokes up when he's drawing.

Thus he starts off with a plan but as he gets more wasted he starts to deviate around the page.

I have a theory that Liefeld had to wear a helmet and lots of safety padding as a child.

----------------