Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Tony Montana, Mark Brian Smith
Starring: Troy Duffy & Co.

Overnight follows the rise and fall of Troy Duffy, a Boston bartender who landed a huge deal to direct a movie based on his script for The Boondock Saints. His band, The Brood, were slated to record the soundtrack for the movie and were poised to make a splash in the music industry.

Before he's even shot a frame of film or recorded a single demo track, Duffy's ego explodes. In numerous hilarious scenes, the up-and-coming filmmaker is calling respected actors "cunts" and excusing respected directors' work as trash. Watching Duffy interact with people in the industry and people in his inner circle is entertaining throughout the entire film. It's a fascinating look at Hollywood during the mid-to-late 90s: someone like Duffy could go from unknown, to hottest prospect in Hollywood, to blacklisted hasbeen in under a year. The story itself is interesting, but with a character like Duffy reacting to -- and usually causing -- failures and broken deals, it takes on a whole other dimension. If the director in question was anyone but him, it would be a pretty clear story about Hollywood cruelty, but Duffy is impossible to sympathize with.

The quality of the camerawork and sound can sometimes be distracting, but it gets better as the film progresses. I kept getting Duffy's friends and bandmates confused -- they're all mid-20s males with stocky builds and facial hair, and there's at least a couple brothers. There's some title screens and narration which help keep you up on Duffy's latest dealings, but I still thought some of the dramatic scenes could've benefited if the audience fully understood who Duffy was talking to and why he was upset. We see him often yelling into a phone, but have little idea who he's yelling at or why. These complaints are minor though.

Definitely a must-see if you've seen Boondock Saints or are at all interested in filmmaking.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Hilarious and fascinating story
CONS: Occasionally confusing

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390336/

Bloated Pussy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Somewhat interesting at first but it grows incredibly tiresome after a while. Duffy is probably one of the biggest assholes put on film and watching him rant and talking about his beautiful navel for 80 minutes isn't a fun experience. It makes me feel guilty for liking The Boondock Saints when you see the people who were behind it.

Though the part where a car almost hits him at the end was amusing

abtronica
Jun 20, 2005
While it wasn't technically that well done, I still found the documentary interesting (though sometimes painful) to watch.

<spoiler>I found it extremely satisfying that when the film finally did make some money on home video, Duffy wasn't entitled to any of it as per his contract. One less rear end in a top hat in Hollywood can only be a good thing.</spoiler>