Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Directed by: Jean Cocteau
Starring: Jean Marais, Josette Day

You don't often get a chance to see a film as dazzling and charming as this. This is Cocteau's finest hour (I'm not a fan of his more surrealist work). You couldn't hope for a more pleasant way to spend an hour and a half. Funny, delightful, well-paced, mysterious, beautiful, and with a pleasant dose of weirdness. The only thing I can find to quibble about is that the movie is a tad rough around the edges... some awkward cuts, the scoring seems a bit inappropriate at times, and a couple of the effects are rather transparent. But it barely detracts one iota from the enjoyment of this wondrous, enchanting masterpiece. To hell with Disney, this is the real deal.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: beautiful, fun, enchanting
CONS: slightly unpolished in places

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0038348/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash
Aug 6, 2001
Argumentum ad nauseam is the incorrect belief that an assertion is more likely to be true the more often it is heard.

Nothing I can say about this, really. A perfect movie. Certainly Cocteau's best.

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

I saw this a month and half ago with some of my friends at museum doing a Cocteau retrospective. This is an experience that I can never forget. It's all the more fascinating and enthralling particularly since I was acquainted with Cocteau's literary works before. I love how such small details make such a difference, and how this is really a poetic film.

Still, having said all this, it's not even my favorite. I think it pales in comparison to Orphée, and Le Testament d'Orphée. But that certainly doesn't mean that it's a weak film.

I'm hesitating between a 4.5 and a 5.

DanSTC
Aug 6, 2002

by Fistgrrl
I had this film reccommended to me by special effects junkies who wanted me to see a perfect example of an early metamorphosis makeup job where the actor plays out a fabulously compelling creature. I found it to be a truly excellent piece of cinema - a real classic, no doubt at all.

5/5