Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reverend Werewolf
Aug 14, 2004
I got a fevah
Directed by: Francis Lawrence
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz, Shia LeBeouf

Constantine's problems can be summed up in two words. Keanu Reeves. He is at his most wooden in this film, portraying John Constantine, a hardboiled exorcist facing down demons in Los Angeles. Constantine meets up with Angela (Weisz), a policewoman with a troubled past, and must save her as he attempts to redeem his own soul.

Constantine has an interesting concept, a world in the balance between unseen powers of Heaven and Hell. However this concept can't make up for the bland performance of Reeves and a shaky script. Plot threads are begun then abandoned, and reasons and motivations of characters are left to the imagination. Add in some unimpressive CGI and you have a movie I reccommend you stay away from. Had the leading man been more likable and dynamic, the movie's flaws might have been forgiveable, but in the end it is a stupid, mindless and tedious movie with irritating plot flaws. Anyone interested in the supernatural defender idea would be better off watching a season of Angel.

RATING: 1.9

PROS: interesting concept
CONS: poor acting, bad script

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360486/

Reverend Werewolf fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 10, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soupb
Jul 21, 2001

by angerbot
it had good atmosphere. the settings were nice. tilda swinton looked good, although i'm not a fan of hers. they ought to have made her character more likeable, though. there is a tiny bit of gay in it, ha ha ha.

3.5 - i enjoyed it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Just got back from a free showing at my college, and this was better than I expected.
There were two main flaws. First, the movie should have been set in Britain. Not because the comic was, but because a British setting and characters with British accents lend an aura of credibility, especially in films that are trying to look dark and dirty. Second, Keanu Reeves should not have played Constantine. He tried hard, he really did. I think that he did the best job he could. Still, he came across as too bland, too young, too pretty. If you wanted an American to play Constantine, you should go with someone more like Michael Madsen (for look only).

On the good side, it's fun. The first quarter sucks, as the director seems to experiment too much with the comic style of framing a shot. As it goes on it inserts some jokes to distract you from some of the flaws. This isn't a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it's worth a rental. Also, there's a scene at the end of the credits that'll either make you laugh or piss you off.

This was probrobly because we watched this in a crappy college theater, and they probrobly gave us a workprint or something, but there seemed to be some changes in the film quality when the reels switched. This may just have been where I saw it, but if it wasn't it's worth mentioning.

Rating: 2.5

Jet Black
May 16, 2004

There's a beast in my soul that can't be tamed and I'm still in love with Rory G.
Just watched this the past night at an advanced screening at the fabled University of Toronto. The kids here like movies apparently because I was delegated to sitting on the floor and enjoyed the flick from an occasionally distracting side angle.

I used the word 'enjoyed' because I did enjoy it for most of the screen's duration, minus a quick nap sometime in between the beginning and end. You know the feeling, though? Fun action scenes with angels or demons and the occasionally witty banter or a smart-mouthed chain smoking Keanu are amusing to watch. Constantine is an ambitious flick, except this is the falter point. Prepare to be amused, there's a lot of stuff happening onscreen most of the time so it's not hard to get into that cinematic atmosphere where your brain can just power down and enjoy it. And then there's the hangover.

With every moment after I watched the film, it becomes apparent to me that I am really liking it less and less. The individual scenes have their merits, I could very well stand to see Peter Stomare as Lucifer or a lovely role from Gavin Rossdale, but when all is sad and done you always must reflect on the totality of a narrative and the end result is less than stellar. Now, I shant get into the chosen discourse of adapting a lovely comic book because that is irrelevant to the actual two hours or so of film, nor can I complain about Keanu's remodelled John Constantine. Sure, his acting is -- as the opportune word always is -- wooden, but anyone walking into the theatre can expect that. What works is the acting fit the role not unlike in that Matrix picture. Hell, the guy's kind of charming at moments. Everytime he reached for a pack of smokes I almost chuckled and wanted to grab out for a cigarette myself.

Where our issue at hand lies is simple, it just wasn't a smart film. Liken it to any picture that's motives scream 'big' but come off less than elegant. The war genre, however unrelated, is no stranger to this. The filmmakers found an ambitious project that they couldn't execute and ended up blowing their load. Loose threads left abound with a topic the script couldn't really see where it was going other than a very vague establishment of heaven, hell and hell. Now this is a subject of intrigue and it can be nice to shake up everything we think we know about reality. That's cinematic escapism at it's finest. This master plot isn't a very common story to tell, rightfully so. It's not easy to pull off. The people behind Constantine definately weren't the right ones to give it a go.

Let's get broadly nitpicky. While there were a few narrative cues you were inclined not to predict, this is largely credited to the notion that Constantine just didn't know what it wanted to be about, or tried to be about too many things. Watch it shift gears, villians and plot lines far too much and without the proper dose of explanation or depth for it to really make sense. You know the kind of flick that you can't entirely piece together, but only because some of the puzzle pieces are missing and the ones available just won't fit thanks to tepid manufacturing. Of course being a thriller about demons the film is designed to bring you a scare, but the effect is dimished by less than beautiful CGI scenes and predictable shock moments (I don't think I am spoiling anything by saying if there is ever a quiet scene, you can bet something is going to jump at you). It's not intensity, it's a knee-jerk reaction.

I wouldn't recommend Constantine, nor will I condemn it, on the pretense that aside from the weak writing (and its inconsistencies with the comic book) I felt like the characters came off well enough that they were worth giving a poo poo about. Interesting plot, bad execution. That's all you really have to know to decide if it's worth your money.

Myself, I saw it for free. I didn't get that 2 hours back, though...

Let's give 'er a two out of five.

Jet Black fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 16, 2005

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I liked the movie, a lot. The cast did a good job, the visual look of the feel was awesome, and the special effects were pretty good to. I enjoyed the story, and agree with the above statement that Tilda Swanson did in fact, look good. Overall I found the movie to be quite entertaining, and I would watch it again.

4 out of 5

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
I'd read the spoilers and summoned all my logic about why an action film with a first-time director starring a baby-faced talentless actor released in February when people only go to movies because there's nothing else to do, and went anyway, expecting this movie to be as terrible as I could imagine.

I could imagine worse. I've walked out on worse. I stayed until the end for this one.

Constantine is not that bad. It's just mediocre, and disappointing to people like me who think the story could have been stronger, the acting could have been better, the directing could have been less choppy -- and it might have been great. But the Friday matinee audience I saw it with was packed, and there were lots of laughs and cheers at the film's best scenes, so Constantine has the chance to be a blockbuster. Goddamnit.

Comic book fans, especially those of "Hellblazer," will recognize bits and pieces in this movie of Garth Ennis' "Dangerous Habits" storyline, where Constantine tries to pull favors to address his deadly problem -- that after playing games with heaven and hell, he's getting done in by lung cancer. Unfortunately, the irony, characterization and uniqueness that made the comic fun to read is all but left behind in the transition to film. And by "transition" I mean the attempt by Francis Lawrence to prove to Hollywood that he can make spacey, geeky save-the-world-but-not-really flicks as well as the Wachowski brothers made "The Matrix."

Unfortunately, he and the writers for the film adaptation decided they weren't going to just remake Constantine, they were going to remake his world in the image of The Matrix. Instead of Neo fighting Agent Smith, it's Neo fighting the "half-breed" agents of Heaven and Hell. Instead of a fantasy world made up by computers to keep bottle-bred humans in a dream state and suck their body heat, the "real world" is a cosmic power balance by God and the Devil. Instead of Constantine moping around England as a blonde in a trenchcoat, it's a 40-year-old dark-haired American who doesn't look his 40 years, much less look or sound like his lungs are full of cancer. Oh yeah, and he dresses like Agent Smith. :rolleye: It also borrows from the plot of about a zillion action flicks of the past -- troubled guy meets troubled girl, they tell each other their troubles and offer to work together, crazy stuff happens and girl gets kidnapped, guy saddles up, straps on his six-shooter and goes to confront the bad guy. Never mind who gets in his way, and never mind how they get around, either. (Scene transitions are really awful in this movie.)

The almost-but-not-quite aspect of the movie is practically a theme of the movie. The story is almost engaging throughout, but there's a maddening number of dull, pointless moments that could have been cut to improve the flow. The characters are almost believable, but the priest, Beeman and Papa Midnite are barely developed and their motivations are absent most of the time. The actions and happenstance are almost explained, but like the story and characters, it falls short of what it should have been.

The closest bits of greatness come from the special effects. Seriously. Would have been nice if they were better paced throughout the movie and be backed up by, say, plot, characterization and consistent direction. For every near-great moment there are wincingly stupid things that happen, and agonizingly long moments of ACTING that add nothing to the experience. Whatever greatness this film could have achieved is weighed down by inadequacy, and the real shame is that it'll probably be blamed on the comic book it's based on.

Rating: 3/5

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
A nice, 2 hour anti-smoking commercial (even if you are a smoker, you will cringe at the pace he lights up with) that would have been better with more John Milton and less Hollywood.

3/5

EPS
Mar 19, 2003

READY... FIGHT!
I loved this movie. While it has it's problems, the third act had me so enthralled that it made the entire movie worth it. The climax of the movie sets up what would in a standard action/thriller film become the tiresome final showdown with the fearsome gigantic monster - but this script is not so inane. Instead, it offers a scene that not only gives an even better dramatic conclusion to the story, but is sharply witty and creative. Also of note is Tilda Swinton, who gave a wonderful performance as the angel Gabriel.

As I said before, though, the movie has it's problems. The main one is of course Keanu Reeves; the man just cannot act. There is a type of character that works with his screen presence, and John Constantine is one of these - the problem is that this type of character has already become boring. By the end of the movie, I had grown to like the character, but it was hard to get over the Keanu-factor of him at the start. While Rachel Weisz is a more talented actor, she is given a much more poorly written role. I didn't believe in Angela for a second, she is completely 2-dimensional and has no motivation for anything beyond making the plot work. For example, she comes to Constantine for his help in a situation she is certain is connected to demons and the occult - first she is trying to convince him to help her, then when he finally gives in and starts explaining the situation to her she does a full 180 and takes on the role of the skeptic for no other reason than to provide the scene with some conflict. Another problem is that the movie's rules were very hard for me to understand. The idea of "The Balance" which should keep demons from coming to earth only seems to apply half the time when it is convenient for the plot - there are scenes where demons show up on earth and kill people, and others where they seem to be restricted to possessing people. My biggest problem with the movie, though, was the old "baddies that turn to dust when you kill them" trick. What the gently caress is so cool about this that causes so many comic book movies to do it even when it doesn't really make sense?

Anyway, despite the fact that a few more rewrites of the script would probably have helped the movie immensely, I came out of the theater very happy with the overall film.

4/5

EPS fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 19, 2005

totosushi
Aug 25, 2003

Hac in hora, sine mora, cordem pulsum tangite.
Did anybody notice the 5 second shot of the Surgeon Generals Warning? I'm sure that's how they got by Constantine smoking so much.

Overall I really liked the movie, yes a bit slow, but creative and original [imho].

And I didn't notice that that was Gavin Rossdale until the Liquor Store scene; he played Balthazar well...

4.5/5

I love the F5 button. It's so refreshing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I didn't have very high hopes going into this one, which is probably why I was satisfied. While there were dead ends in some of the script and the acting could have improved I don't consider a waste of 2 hours, or the 4.75 I paid.

Go see the matine if you arent sure, I havent decided yet if it was worth the full price.

3.5/5

Also did I notice this right when Constantine first went into papa midnights office there was an old guy who walked out and him and Constantine stared eachother down. The guy looked familiar at the time but I couldn't put a name to it. Then later once Peter Stomare was introduced as Lucifer I thought that he was the one who walked out of papa midnights office. Was that him or just a random demon?

Sledgehammer
Jan 26, 2003

J.theYellow took the words right out of my mouth

3/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Keanu Reeves is in over his head and drowning even the cinematic shallow end. His character is supposed to be some rugged, worn-out, seen-it-all badass but the best Reeves can offer is a petulent teenager. Even lighting cigarettes with his Zippo came off like a bad actor's rendition of someone acting tough. Beyond him, the story is a convoluted mess and I couldn't get into any of the characters. It also offers the possibility of Rachel Weicz's tits and then backs off. Unforgivable.

Two.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I really felt this movie was just missing something. One big sequence or something of the sort to put it over the top. I couldnt really add much that no one hasnt already said. I'll probably buy it.

3.5/5

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I too felt like the movie was missing something, but it's hard to put a finger on what. I think it was the third act- while a poster above liked it the best, I liked it the least- it felt too rushed or something. I felt the first half was the best, once Angela got involved it felt weighed down.

That being said, I still found it enjoyable. I thought Keanu was fine- he actually plays an rear end very well, and it's those moments I liked best. Was he the Constantine from the comics? Mmm, I'd have to say no. For what it was, the part was fine, but I didn't get a 'this is the guy from the comics' feel.

But it kept me in my seat and not bored, and that's all I ask from a movie (and I'm a pretty harsh critic.) I liked the Midnight character, and would've liked to know more about him and what he does, but the movie might've felt too much like Blade if it did (two worlds, one being hidden from normal humanity).

Worth a viewing? Yeah, I'd say so.
3.5/5

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
On the basis of how I rate movies I take a point off for each time I look at my watch to see when we get out. Luckily for Constantine I never looked at my watch. The movie was pretty awesome, but it missed a "lobby" scene. The action scenes lasted for seconds and really lacked punch. The most annoying thing is that it seems the movie was going 2,000 RPM the entire time, then at the last 20 minutes it went up to 8,000 RPM and skipped out on a lot of stuff, atlast though I'm not going to be too harsh. I could ingore the minor details of John not sounding like a guy with emphasyima. All in all:

4/5 - Very Entertaining

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This movie could have been so, so good, and ended up walking the line between "meh" and bad.

My main gripe is with the ending, it could have been about 20 minutes shorter. Everytime you thought it was going to be done, something else happened, which isnt normally a detriment in most movies, but is for some reason in this one.

And the end just got kind of corny, Lucifer is a flamboyant character who seems more at home on "Queer eye" than playing the ruler of Hell. Also, the flipoff scene at the end? Come on, the way they did that, it just came off so cheezy

On the plus side, even though she is playing a man, Tilda Swinton looks positively mesmerizing, something about her face. And, the scene in the beginning with the car was pretty kick rear end.

Overall, I think something gets lost in translation if you havent read the comic book. While the movie is understandable with no previous experience, I think it could have been a little more accessible to those who havent read the comics.

2/5

Raptor10001
May 7, 2003

Bend over and show me your Dark Side.
I really did not quite know what to expect going into this movie. It had an interesting concept, but it had the curse of Kenau Reeves acting as another superhero. It seems a bit too soon for him to be doing the same thing again.

It ended up being a lot more scarier than I expected -especially for a movie that was rated 14A. I also really enjoyed a lot of the imagery as well as its take on angels and demons and how Keanu connected to it all. Also the Spear of Destiny was in it, that reminded me of Wolfenstein, so bonus points for that.

4/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play

quote:

Phat_Albert came out of the closet to say:
On the plus side, even though she is playing a man, Tilda Swinton looks positively mesmerizing
I forgot to mention this in my review. She's bizarrely gorgeous.

Lemuel Fawnsley
Jan 8, 2004
A lot of people in here are saying how much they liked the third act, but I liked it the least. The momentum the movie had been building up seemed to be broken and I looked at my watch a couple times.

There's a gun fight scene that seems pretty generic and boring, in particular. I'd have liked to see a more interesting battle between Constantine and his enemies, similar to some of the ones earlier in the film.

That said, I enjoyed the movie overall. 4/5

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I insanely enjoyed this for some reason. I knew nothing of the movie before watching it, not even knowing it was coming out until my friend asked if I wanted to go. I had no expectations, and this was severely rewarded. I had fun with the action sequences, and I thought the dialogue and plot was enthralling.

The less you know, the more you'll enjoy. 4.5/5

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Basically, this is a poor movie with a good ending. Keanu Reeves is poorly cast, and his sidekick, fresh from the Disney Channel, is out of place. The plot feels dragged out, and by the fourth and fifth reel the only thing that keeps you going is the perpetual wetness of Rachel Weisz's shirt. The ending wasn't mind-blowing but definitely an increase in quality compared to the rest. My two favorite characters, Satan and Papa Midnite, didn't have nearly enough screentime. Considering all the crap currently in theaters, you could definitely do worse; I strongly suggest saving your money for brighter times, though.

2.5/5

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Especially the finger and the gum.

Just great entertainment, but nothing deep. 4.5/5

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I really liked this movie, along with Reeves' acting. I wish they wouldn't have used so much CGI, though. It was really distracting. Also, am I the only one that saw the car hit coming at the begining of the movie? That's so loving cliche nowadays. 4.5/5

Undaine
Jun 5, 2002

All done running...
Given my low expectations, this movie pulled off an above average performence. Many have said Lucifer and Gaberiel were acted to the nines, and I agree. Between the Hell sequences, the very well done demon CGI and the just overall feel for a comic book movie, I was pleased. I felt the movie explained a complex plot rather well without coming off as overly campy or utterly absurd, and for one with a plot like this, that's an achievement.

Giving it a 3.5/5

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Acting: non-existant; Keanu has gone through alot of bad times irl recently and I don't think that helped him play a hurting person. His acting style is too guarded and he just seems to be forcing himself in this role. The female lead was a wasted effort, I don't think I can comment on her acting because I don't think she was given much to work with. Supporting actors: I honestly couldn't have cared less about them

Plot: jumpy and poorly thought out. It was like they were making it up as they went along. How did Keanu do that thing he just did? Forget about it

Timing: (see above) this movie just drags in alot of spots, the scenes didn't flow into each other very well. There just seemed to be continous spots where the movie just stops and the story goes nowhere. Action scenes are far too short and really not that interesting

Continuity: conversations go on as the characters magically warp into different rooms/area, Constantine apparently survives on 2 pints of blood. nothing too big.

I like bad movies; bad movies that you can laugh at

This movie was torment

0.5/5

Pyramid_head
Nov 11, 2004
Did anyone else just get pissed off every time they heard Rachel wiez speak ? Her american accent was horrible.

They had absolutely no chemistry and her attraction to Keanu was incredibly unbelievable.

2 for "GRABRIEL YOUR INSANE"

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Absolutely enjoyable.

The girls definitely overshone the boys in this film (Tilda Swinton and Rachel Weisz were fantastic) as was Lucifer. Keanu was a little stilted as usual, but he tried the best he could. And I actually had a bit of empathy of Shia LeBouf at the end Really wasn't expecting him to snuff it.

The special effects were mesmerizing. Especially the transitions between our plane and Hell. My only real problem is that the scene in the hospital looked a little too much like a video-game (I believe it even had the same angle). And it got a little slow in the middle, but there was always something different around the corner.

Good show guys. Definite DVD purchase later on down the track.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Constantine was...decent. It could've been a lot better in so many ways. I liked the minor characters more than the main ones, and I didn't really care about the story. The action wasn't bad, there was some cool stuff and good concepts in it, but I wouldn't call it a 'good' movie.

It's a dumb movie, but it's also a fun movie. Sort of like Mortal Kombat.

3/5 -Just 'okay'.

JellyDonut
Feb 1, 2001

oh shi
I watched Constantine tonight, after being excited about it since it came out. I really wanted to see it because I expected it to be a good bad movie: a movie that's entertaining but still bad. I was surprised when about halfway through it I realized that it's actually a good movie.

Keanu Reeves is perfect for the role. He is Keanu Reeves in the role, and it just works so well. The movie doesn't try to make him do anything spectacular, and it's good because of it. The entire movie is like that; it takes itself lightly enough that the cheesy parts don't piss you off. The constant quips from Constantine that throw in humor in completely inappropriate situations didn't bother me because it the entire feel of the movie is like that. The scene where Constantine flips off the devil is my classic example of that. It feels weird to laugh at an action/thriller, but the movie doesn't try to be serious all the time, which really makes it much better.

The CG effects are amazing, the transitions to hell are awesome, as are the angel wings. The action is good fun. The plotline makes sense and doesn't try to do too much. Keanu Reeves is Keanu Reeves, but the director seems to accept this and really lets him be himself.

4.5/5

Phorphetob
Nov 28, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Constantine has a good concept of the world being tugged around by heaven and hell and that not all the rules are set in stone. However, Keanu once again manages to suck. I think he has the right look just nothing to back it up as in acting skills. I think that everyone else gave pretty good performances I just wish they had picked a different actor for the lead. Overall a pretty good movie I give it a 4/5.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Not much held this together OR held my attention.

Rachel Weisz is weird looking, the sidekick was annoying, Keanu can't act, Lucifer is a homo, and Gabriel had WEIRD loving TOES. CGI was unimpressive, ideas seemed to come and go without so much as a how d'you do, and the flip off scene... my god the flip off scene.

That's a LOT of things wrong with this movie, however it was stupid fun, the hell scenes looked rad and the lead singer from Bush was in it.

Overall a 2.5/5

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

quote:

d[-.-]b came out of the closet to say:
I insanely enjoyed this for some reason. I knew nothing of the movie before watching it, not even knowing it was coming out until my friend asked if I wanted to go. I had no expectations, and this was severely rewarded. I had fun with the action sequences, and I thought the dialogue and plot was enthralling.

Yes!!!

The only thing I knew was that Keanu was in it, putting me in the "take this laughable actor seriously so you'll enjoy the movie" mindframe.

RPG543
Sep 20, 2002

Screw you guys... I'm goin' home.

quote:

d[-.-]b came out of the closet to say:

Exactly how I feel.

I liked the movie a lot. Basically, I came in expecting nothing and it was very surprising. I didn't follow the comic books at all, so I suppose if you are looking for something true to the original story, you might get pissed off. That being said, it is very entertaining, as long as you accept the fact that it is a comic book movie. And the special effects were awesome.

4.5/5

Wallin
May 10, 2004
:o
Certainly not oscar worthy, but I loved it nonetheless. Don't come in expecting too much, and you should leave happy.

I found the story very interesting, and thought the acting fit the parts quite well. (Keanu's lack of personality fit his character quite well for me) I plan on getting a hold of some of the comics now, to hopefully continue the story (or see how different it is). Either way, should be interesting

4.5/5. See it if you love mythos related movies, or are simply looking for an entertaining pre-summer flick

Bastard26
Dec 25, 2004

A positive change for America.
I went expecting a cheesy action flick about destroying demons and fighting evil, and I wasn't disapointed in the least. I actually liked this movie alot, and though Keanu's bland delivery could have been made better by some unknown actor, I still really liked the character, and wasn't too disapointed by keanu's performance. I thought the plot was creative and intresting, and I really, really liked the way the director filmed all the action. I thought the music set the mood really well, and I was happy with the lack of "SHAKY SHAKY SHAKE the camera" in the action scenes. Extremely happy with the climax, found it to be something new, dark, and creative.

3.5/5

Bastard26 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 4, 2005

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1

quote:

HAmbONE came out of the closet to say:

Constantine apparently survives on 2 pints of blood. nothing too big.

The Devil gave him back his life so that he could gently caress up and be sent to hell. Did you want a scene where the devil carefully picks a vein out and puts a line in to transfuse some blood. Or maybe he could have stated out loud that he was giving him some blood as he gave him life again. Honestly, this is a baffling thing to pick on.

For what it is worth, I enjoyed the film. Watchable and exciting.

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...
I was expecting this to be absolute poo poo. And I was so so so pleasantly surprised.

The storyline has exactly the sort of biblical feel it needs, it doesn't feel like your stock horror plot with some Christian symbolism thrown in to mix it up. The action is good, the special effects amazing and not overdone.

I highly recommend this, especially if you're thinking it will be poo poo.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I saw this for a second time not long ago, and it really helped clarify some minor plot points. It's true, there are some things that aren't fleshed out as well as they could be, but the story still works really well. I was very happy that it didn't degenerate into an action-fest, which it very well could have at any moment. Instead, the story stuck more to the dark and atmospheric side of things.

I think Keanu really nails his character, even though some of his delivery is kind of painful.

And the ending, holy poo poo. (I'm not referring to the rooftop scene, which was a little gimmicky, but the one right before it, with Lucifer). Now this guy really steals the show. He's acted with such delight that it almost borders on overacting, yet works beautifully. I'll have to say his scenes were the highlight of the movie. I don't think I've seen a better Satan performance in all the movies I've watched.

4.0/5

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I laughed for a solid ten minutes when Constantine is being lifted into heaven and his weakened, dead hand gives Lucifer the finger

MUCH better then I expected, which seems to be the norm lately. I'm underwhelmed by movies I think I'm going to love, and then blown away by a movie I went to make fun of. Them's the breaks I guess.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 10, 2004

lol custom title more like custom DICKS
Very enjoyable, came in with absolutely no idea what this film was about and enjoyed it an awful lot.

4/5