Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Directed by: Ingmar Bergman
Starring: Liv Ullmann, Erland Josephson, Bibi Andersson, Jan Malmsjö, Gunnel Lindblom

I've seen this movie three times in the past 15 months... and I'd watch it again in a heartbeat.

The film is emotionally devastating. No one captures the nature of relationships so well, the ebb and flow of conversation, the heart-rending turmoil. The things these characters say to each other ring so true... they're conversations that you've had, or at least feel you've had or could have. Ullman and Josephsson give astonishing performances, and if Nykvist's photography lacks its usual flair, it has an immediacy and intimacy that perfectly suits the material.

Unlike Fanny & Alexander, I think I actually prefer the trimmed-down theatrical version to the longer television version. There's a lot of extra interesting stuff in the TV version, but the theatrical release stays more focused. It's more consistently riveting.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: incredible performances; extremely authentic characters and relationships
CONS: cinematography not comparable to Nykvist's best

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070644/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
I watched the entire original six-episode TV version almost in one sitting (I took a short break after episode 3), and the experience was an emotional rollercoaster unlike anything else I've ever been through. The performances aren't just great, they are 100% convincing. The characters aren't just well developed, they are 100% real people, more so than many actual people I've met. The direction and cinematography isn't anything special, but it doesn't need to be, as any unusual tricks would only have served as distractions from the film's absolute realism.

I can't think of a single flaw.
5.5/5