Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Directed by: Various
Starring: Various

Don Hertzfeldt and Mike Judge have once again put together an amazing set of animated shorts from all over the world for this year's compilation, and covering all types of animated work. Included in this year's collection are:

Guard Dog - Bill Plympton tells the tale of an overactive dog's imagination as he protects his master from various imagined threats.

Feds - From Jennifer Drummond, this short is about the few, the proud, the unrewarded. The folks who give you free samples at the supermarket.

Pan With Us - David Russo animates Robert Frost's poem using an unusual photo technique.

Ward 13 - Peter Cornwell's tale of every nightmare ever envisioned by a hospital patient.

Hello - Jonathan Nix directs this tale of a boombox who has difficulty telling an iPod-like lady his feelings.

Rock Fish - You've probably downloaded this Tim Miller short in the past, but it looks even better on the big screen.

The Man With No Shadow - Georges Schwizgebel's tale of what a shadow means to one's humanity.

Fallen Art - Tomek Baganski adapts computer animation to Easter Bloc styles to create this hilariously warped tale of a new way of filmmaking.

When the Day Breaks - Wendy Tilby & Amanda Forbes team up on this story of an old woman who comes to grips with life and death.

And last but certainly not least:

The Meaning of Life - Don Hertzfeldt's latest short, premiering with this collection. Very strange, very twisted, and very Hertzfeldt. Not laugh-out-loud as much as his prior work, but well worth watching.

As this film will be doing the art house circuit, when it gets to your area will differ. For the next six days, it's at the Nuart in Los Angeles, but the schedule will be hitting Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco, Berkeley, Chicago, St. Louis, Atlanta, San Diego, and Denver. More cities to be added through the year.

RATING: 5

PROS: A marvelous and eclectic group of short subjects from all over the spectrum of animation.
CONS: Some parts may be too artsy-fartsy for some folks.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: https://www.theanimationshow.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rubber cat
Jul 1, 2002
I'm bad at reviews but I'll give it a shot.

Introduction with bunnies - Made me smile

Guard Dog - I liked this a lot, very entertaining.

Feds - Good but not great

Pan With Us - Very awe-inspiring to look at, but you pay more attention to the visuals than the story.

Ward 13 - Probably my favorite of the bunch.

Hello - Delightful

Rock Fish - Meh. Didn't care for this one.

The Man With No Shadow - A feast for the eyes

Fallen Art - Delightful but I don't think I "got" it, if there is an "it" to get

When the Day Breaks - I love this one. I like the animation of the chicken man.

Fireworks - :holy:

The Meaning of Life - It's nice to see Hertzfeldt continue to grow as an artist.