Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Directed by: Takashi Miike
Starring: Kenji Sawada, Keiko Matsuzaka, Tamaki Miyazaki

The Happiness of the Katakuris (Katakuri-ke no koufuku) is an extremely bizarre little Japanese movie from horror director Takashi Miike. He's probably best known around this forum as the director of Ichi the Killer, though he has a pretty impressive resumé.

Masao Katakuri (Kenji Sawada) was laid off from his job as a shoe salesman, and decides to start up a guest house on the rarely-visited slopes of Mt. Fuji. Along with his father (Tetsuro Tamba), his wife Terue (Keiko Matsuzaka), his son Masayuki (Shinji Takeda), his daughter Shizue (Naomi Nishida), and his granddaughter Yurie (Tamaki Miyazaki), he readies his little guest house for visitors in the hopes that a major road is built nearby.

But things start to go sour when their first guest winds up dead. Resolving to bury the body so that people associate the Katakuris' guest house with death, the family cheerfully presses on... until it happens again.

It's a musical with a little bit of comedy, a little bit of drama, and a little bit of horror. The scene where they discover the first body turns into an 80s glam rock music video, complete with dry ice and crazy blue lighting.

Also, there's a song where zombies sing and dance.

All in all, definately worth seeing. There are a couple things where I felt left out of the lurch because I don't understand certain minutae of Japanese culture, but it's still enjoyable from a Western standpoint. There are a couple other things I feel I missed because things just went by so fast in the beginning. I suspect, however, that this'll clear up when I watch this movie again... and again... and again.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Delightfully bizarre with great music and an interesting plot.
CONS: A little difficult to follow at times.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304262/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clown Meadows
Jul 13, 2003

YARRRR! Where be the gray matter up in this piece, son?
This movie was absolutely insane and it's constantly enjoyable to watch. The craziness and down-right absurdity was really something special, in a good way.
Thereisn't much else to add other than that I'd definitely recommend this movie to anyone looking for something a little different.

5/5