Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
Directed by: Bradley Beesley
Starring: The Flaming Lips

Bradley Beesley is a friend of The Flaming Lips' lead singer Wayne Coyne. He filmed over 400 hours of footage and sorted through that along with countless hours of home video, to compile this very well done documentary. I have been a fan of the Lips's music for a few years now, but never knew much about the band members or their history. This film provided great insite into the bizarre yet somewhat normal world of The Flaming Lips. I think anybody could enjoy this, because it is so well done. You don't necessarily have to be a fan of their music.

It's amazing to see how much their music has changed since their early punk roots to their symphonic psychedelica of today. The darkest part of the film is when we see drummer Steven Drozd battle his heroine addiction. Beesley even filmed him shooting up as he eerily describes what the drug does to his body. Wayne Coyne is portrayed as a hard working innovator, with a genuine love for what he does. I have a new found respect for him.

Overall, this is a very intimate portrait of one of the most interesting rock bands of the last decade or so. I highly recommend it to any music or documentary fan.

RATING: 5.0

PROS: Heartfelt and honest look into the history and evolution of the band.
CONS: Leaves out a few major events such as the making of Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots and their tour with Beck.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441758/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU