Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Directed by: Rick Bota
Starring: Doug Bradley, Kari Wuhrer

Hardened bitch learns of a cult of "Deaders" after watching a videotape. After that she is drawn into a world of mysterious mysteries where nothing is as it seems and in a world where everything you know is wrong one woman will find the courage to face her fears and triumph over evil or not because it may just be in her head or maybe she's been dead the whole time and hey look at these birds, aren't they creepy?

This movie was trash of the lowest level.

Hardened bitch with obnoxious tough girl act who falls to pieces? Check.
Creepy shots of children? Check.
Black and white shots made to look like old film? Check.
Random flapping bird as a cheap scare? Check.
Gratuitous shots of girls making out? Check.
Unreliable protagonist? Check.
Cryptic talk for the sake of cryptic talk? Check.

This film had nothing to do with Hellraiser. They just put the box and Pinhead in superfluous scenes, then filmed a lovely psychological thriller. Everything went on for too long. Strange poo poo happened for no reason other than to keep your attention for another couple of seconds. This was Inferno done wrong.

Don't know how to end a scene? Have the character wake-up. Repeat until you run out of time. A character will randomly be chainsawed by hobos, run over by a tank, or hosed with a broadsword and no one will ask questions as long as they wake up in the next scene (like "hey, what does this have to do with anything?").

A couple of times the camera would try to do a panning zoom in on a person or object and miss for a second before getting back on center. By the fourth time this happened I realized this was intentional instead of some massive fuckup. Ooooh creepy, the cameraman is drunk. Who knows what he'll miss the mark on next!

Add a couple shots of a young girl bouncing in front of the camera as she's (implied) raped by her hairy father and you have a disaster of a movie. It was held back for two years for a reason.

Personal - 0
Technical - 1.0
Rating - 0.5

RATING: 0.5

PROS: Guy takes flying leap into oncoming subway train, Pinhead fucks poo poo up at the very end
CONS: Cheap scares, Bad Acting, Dumb Twists, Child Rape, Retarded Directing, Pointless Bullshit

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337636/

Knight fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 5, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I was one who did not like Hellraiser 6. I did like Inferno (5). I did not like 6 not only for the rehashed story, but for the lovely, lovely directing. Not to mention the mishandling of certain characters, and plot elements that did not hold up. When I found out that 7 and 8 were going to be directed by the same person, I held little hope.

The post above me sums up the story fairly well, and sums up its problems well too. I'll reiterate:

Biggest offender: it's not a Hellraiser movie. There is very little to tie it in with the Hellraiser mythos, except for a few lines which are pretty throwaway. I don't know why they don't just lift some stories directly from the graphic novel line, some of them are real stinkers but there are a few gems as well. I'd much rather see a movie of short stories a la Creepshow than a long drawn out boring romp such as this. The cenobites really have nothing to do with the story at all, and they make an appearance but there's not much meat to it.

The directing is actually better than the last, but that's not saying much. You could have a drinking game for the "look! something's there, and then it's not!" sequences. Also, be sure to hit us over the head with flashbacks too.

The one plus: pinhead's dialogue seemed to fit this time around, at least in his last speech. It's not the cold emotionless soul from 1+2, but its better than the other sequels. Enjoy it for the 30 seconds you get.

All in all, the problem is... it's kinda boring. At first I thought "hmm, I can't predict what might happen next!" I found out that it was because not much really happens at all. It's not even laughably terrible, it just... is bleh.

Voted 1.5/5

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm going to go slightly against the grain here because I quite enjoyed this movie, though it has a good deal of flaws. I am, admittedly, a Hellraiser fanboy.

The first Hellraiser movie is probably my favourite horror movie of all time. It was gory, immensely atmospheric and actually left the viewer with something to think about (the pleasure and pain divide, the notion of sin and trying to escape the bad things you've done). The second installment was also great and introduced us to 'Hell' in the Hellraiser mythos; "When you're dead, you're dead" but it's possible to be directed to a place other than death if you really wanted to.

Then Hellraiser turned into a terrible slasher-flick franchise. The Cenobytes were no longer cold, indifferent spirits ("Angels to some, Demons to others") that simply granted the most fetishistic desires to those that really sought them, but they just went around killing stuff for two movies. Great.

The newer films have gone back to the roots of the first two movies: Each character's personal hell that they have created for themselves in their efforts to discover ultimate hedonism and forsaking morality and decency. Inferno (V) is my favourite of the new three by a long shot; Hellseeker (VI) felt a little drab as the story was almost completely rehashed from Inferno but hey, look! It's Kirsty! You remember Kirsty don't you? Below-par directing didn't exactly help, but I still enjoyed it as a Hellraiser tale of sin, corruption and guilt leading to nihilism.

Deader, I feel, was a vast improvement. The lead character is struggling with their own horrible past and is already very self-destructive. She deliberately does very dangerous things - including opening the box, against all warning, which is quite Faustian. She has already created her own personal hell and is living in it, like in Inferno, but is out to actually destroy herself rather than indulge. The divide between pleasure and pain is very much revisited with the cult members and Joey's gang on the train.

And of course, what would Hellraiser be without Pinhead? And for once, he actually is taking an active role in the proceedings but rather than just being a) a slasher or b) the manipulator, he's a much more neutral, judge-like character out to teach people a lesson for meddling with things they shouldn't be (like in the first Hellraiser movie). But he's still in it for profit...

Sadly, there's throwaway lines to make Deader link to other Hellraiser stories were contrived and unnecessary, just like in Hellseeker. Inferno shone because it was a completely new story about new characters - Deader and Hellseeker fail because of throwing in random characters from other films (Le Merchant in this case). There's also a lot of pretty crappy camerawork in some places (like the aforementioned panning zoom).

Pros: An interesting character-driven storyline, tense and surreal in its depiction of hell. Excellent use of Pinhead (Anyone that claims he is the centre of the Hellraiser movies bugs me, apart from III and IV, the worst in the series, he's never been on screen for more than couple of minutes). The story really does make movies for me, and I felt the theme of this was solid.

Cons: Not a good director. Pontless links to other movies (Maybe to appease stupid fans, much like random placement of characters in the Star Wars prequels). Too many 'phew, it was just a dream. OR WAS IT?!' moments - these worked in Inferno, as they weren't so frequent. Annoying techno-pop soundtrack.

Overall: 2.5/5

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It pains me to say this but this film was on the mediocrity level of Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth.

After the third or fourth dream sequence I got really confused. The whole cult aspect was confusing and was never explained at all. And I have NO idea who that fat guy was who starred in about 20 minutes worth of flashback scenes.

PROS: It was scary for short moments.
CONS: Most confusing of the series.