Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcasmo
Dec 1, 2003

Il me restait à souhaiter qu'ils m'accueillent avec des cris de haine.
Directed by: Chris Terrio
Starring: Glenn Close, Elizabeth Banks, James Marsden, Jesse Bradford

This is not a movie that you can simply pop into the DVD player and sit back with a couple beers to relax with. It is an intense, building drama, a collection of character studies, and you cannot simply watch this with passing interest. Either you deeply get into it, or you don't at all.

The reason I mention this is that it will take a suspension of disbelief to get to parts of it. Not a very large one; this is a highly realistic drama, one that impressively sets the atmosphere without losing sight of the actual plot. Towards the end, however, coincidences take place drive the plot that are believable, but the movie has to have you by that point. If you are not enraptured by the hour thirty mark, you cannot appreciate the last half hour.

Glenn Close plays a lauded New York actor playing Lady Macbeth in an upcoming production. She has an open marriage with her husband, one she begins to regret as she sees him grow slowly closer to his latest fling. Elizabeth Banks is a photographer who is to be married to lawyer James Marsden. She feels herself beginning to get cold feet while he battles a regrettable youthful indiscretion come back to haunt him. Jesse Bradford is a struggling but attractive actor who is tucked under Close's wing, who is apparently drawn to him as some sort of mental revenge against her husband.

I cannot go any deeper without ruining the whole thing; in fact, I've already said too much. See it. Just see it.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Excellent ensemble drama, had the gently caress acted out of it
CONS: Awfully whitewashed for a movie set in NYC

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382073/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Fantastic movie. It's not every day a movie with depth like Heights comes around. Great ensemble acting and a great script makes this a very entertaining, intense, and thought-provoking experience.

4.5/5