Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOMOSEXIAN
Feb 26, 2004
axman
Directed by: John Singleton
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Tyrese Gibson, Andre Benjamin, Garrett Hedlund

The entire time I was watching this movie, I was excited. For what was to come, or what was happening. The intensity of the characters, and intensity of the scenes keeps you in the entire time. Nothing is out of place, timing and spacing is all perfect. Plus, there are some old school, hardcore beat downs and rear end whoopins. Which just adds to it.

RATING: 5

PROS: Has some INTENSE fights, and a great comedy element. Nothing is over played, everything fits. The character dynamic is excellent, as is the relationships shown thorugh the movie.
CONS: Stupid girlfriend of Tyrese's characters

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430105/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
This is the only movie I've ever seen that's made my body create adrenaline, which resulted in a slight case of the shivers. It's loving intense. Just wanted to state that before everything else.

Review
I cannot believe how original I think the story of this movie is. At several points during the movie, I expected a cliche plot device, only to have it turned around and surprise me with a different one. Some scenes are extremely emotional and I got a little teary eyed during some of them. The main characters are fleshed out enough that you actually become attached to them. However, the main plot is somewhat complex and you need to pay attention. One of my friends watching the movie somehow had the main plot's details go completely over his head and ruined the experience somewhat.

That being said, the action is just as impressive. Many scenes of violence and fights exist throughout, and there's never a feeling of dullness or stalling for time. Definitely my favorite movie of 2005, and one of my favorites ever.

Rating 5

Oprah Moment
Nov 21, 2004
The film's intensity balances out the forced acting. It's an action movie that tries a little too hard to connect emotionally with some die-hard characters. The punchlines don't stick and sound forced. The dinner scene was unbearable.

Rating

Oprah Moment fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 26, 2006

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This movie rocks. Action, Drama, Comedy, Mystery... What does this movie not have?!

5.5/5

Straws
May 16, 2004

Review
This movie was absolutely fantastic. It was funny, action packed, well written, well acted, well...loving everything. Name an element about a movie and this one did it well. It seemed to combine about 5 different movie genres into one movie that keeps you enthralled the entire time. I really am still amazed as to the quality of this movie. The characters are so well written and acted that you really become attached to them and their objective. You are emotionally invested in this movie within the first 30 minutes and it only gets better. If you think this is just an action movie you need to pay attention. The plot is very well conceived and some plot devices can elude some audience members but that's not a bad thing. It almost seems like a sopranos movie set in detroit but only dealing with the basics of gangbanging. I was constantly waiting for the movie to turn into a cliche of violence and street justice but every new element brought into this movie made it more unique and interesting. I highly suggest anyone go see this movie.

This is without a doubt the best movie I've seen in a while and has now become one of my favorites. I'm sure I'll see it again in theaters and then buy the DVD when it comes out.

rating

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wow, I'm amazed I'm the only one here who didn't like this movie. In fact, I thought it was horrible.

I'm not sure where to start. I wasn't even expecting it to be more than a fun summer flick, and it didn't even reach that level.

I thought the story was pretty lame and you could easily guess where it was going to end, if not exactly how the pieces fit. I guess the way the characters were written fits with their upbringing, but I found most of it terribly unnatural and super-sterotypical "street." Pretty much every character who wasn't one of the brothers (and even they could and were described in one sentence) may as well have been named Cop #1, Gang guy #1, etc. And it seemed as if the main villian was living in some bizarre 80's reality.

The action came in bursts that were way too short, and you neve really felt like anybody was even slightly fazed by the flying lead.

Sometimes people say "It's not that it's bad, other things just do it better." I want to say that about 4 Brothers, cause Man On Fire tells a much better vigilante revenge story, with much more satisfying violence, but really, I thought the movie was bad no matter how you slice it.

Pros: When Angel said "Heh heh...they look like nipples."
Cons: Everything else

I gave it a 0.5, it may have surpassed Charlie's Angels 2 as the worst movie I've ever paid to see.

JazzManZach
Sep 15, 2004

I agree with Inspector_71, I thought this movie was average at best.

There were just too many scenes that felt out of place and akward. I was still confused at the end whether this was supposed to be a comedy, drama, action, or whatever. It just seemed to switch directions so many times, and I felt like the story never really gave me a chance to catch up.

2/5

Sinister Rouge
Oct 19, 2004

I immediately regret this decision.
As fan of Singleton's "Boyz 'N The Hood", I as excited to see this movie. I'm also a moderate fan of Wahlberg's acting, as well as Andre and Tyrese's. I like revenge tales, and this looked very promising.

Thankfully, it met and almost surpassed my expectations.

The plot held together quite well, and the acting was up to par with a film of this caliber, the directing had some neat moments and the music was tense. The car chase was one of my favorite scenes in this movie, not only because of the exciting stunts but the setting was rad as well.

5/5.5

Pros: Plot, acting, writing, directing all came together very well.

Cons: That slutty girlfriend.

Matteo44
May 18, 2004
Review

I heard good things about this movie going in, and I have to say I was very satisfied with what I got. I thought that the movie was very well cast, and the characters well fleshed out. The story was compelling enough, and the action scenes were quite good. Very good balance of many different elements, as was mentioned.

Rating

4.5/5 just because I don't like to give perfect scores unless I'm completely blown away.

Real Dad
Mar 3, 2004

by Fistgrrl
This movie had style. I was absolutly riveted to the screen the entire time not only by the flow of the action scenes (brick to the head anyone?) but also just by the depth the characters had. As for people talking about lack of a genre, I think that was the point - everything was always changing. However, the excellent use of cinematography, music, and sound from the very first scene makes me regard it as something I'd much rather call art before a "summer flick".

Pros: Character depth, k'rad style
Cons: Angel's girlfriend made me hate Hispanic women

Rating: 5/5

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
It's good to see Singleton make something this good, but he was really just riding the coattails of the four main characters. The dynamic among them was excellent, and I think that was arguably Wahlberg's best performance.

Very enjoyable movie.

4/5

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
Definatley worth the entry fee, I liked it.

The one thing I hated was how much Mark Wahlberg was trying to act like Edward Norton (AHX).

I think they should have cast Ed.

4.5/5

the_annex
Jun 19, 2005

YO. SLEEP GIRL. WAKE UP. YOU NEED TO LEAVE.
I really, REALLY thought I was going to hate this movie. I saw the poster on the T and thought, "Oh you've got to be kidding me. Wahlberg plays a ball-busting tough guy in a film about revenge? I don't even believe it."

However, I saw the movie last night and was thoroughly taken aback by some of the performances, especially that of Wahlberg and Andre Benjamin. Sure, Wahlberg crying was a little less than convincing, but he actually lended a very human overtone to a seemingly by-the-book rear end kicker.

Other people have already said what I think about this film, so I'll just finish up with a rating:

A very unexpected 5!

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
The parts that worked really worked and the parts that didn't...well, let's just say they felt a little out of place. Great chemistry between the four brothers and a motown soundtrack overcame a lot of the problems with the dialogue and more absurd plot twists (you think marky mark is going to be the only one with a gun in a rec center in urban detroit during a basketball game? pshaw). Less over the top comedy and this movie doesn't miss a step

Viperblaze
Sep 10, 2004
Banned Jerk
Awesome awesome movie. Revenge flicks should all be this good. Like everyone keeps saying, really loving intense. Plus any annoyance I felt towards Angel's girlfriend is forgotten because of her total hotness.

PROS-Everything
CONS- Jack :(

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Who said you can't have fun with a revenge story? The first action movie in a long time that had me saying "Oh poo poo!" "What the hell?!" and similar things despite its predictability. Andre Benjamin can act. Maybe not well, but for a rapper-turned-actor, he is definately making up for disadvantages that he may have had for being niched in one area of entertainment.

quote:

Viperblaze came out of the closet to say:

CONS- Jack :(

I understand :cry:

Another 5 for this film. As others have written, the quality of Four Brothers came out of nowhere.

AngryTurtle
Sep 18, 2004

Freude am Fahren
I really wasn't expecting anything from the previews except for a mindless revenge flick. Well it was, however it had more to it. I think the character development was really good, the action was intense and most of all it was a fun movie.

5/5

Crab Warehouse
Aug 15, 2003

by Lowtax
I agree with the previews making it really look like poo poo, another mindless action flick. However, the reviews were excellent. I thought this movie was pretty awesome, the acting was good, and the whole atmosphere was good.

5/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
An awful, cliche-riddled piece of poo poo with the whitest sounding black dialogue you will ever hear.

nightkids013
Apr 30, 2004
And thats the second time I got crabs
RATING: 5

Amazing. Best movie I've seen this summer. I know that doesn't say much given the crap hollywood has been shoveling out, but if you want a good story of family and justified revenge, this is it. Also, To those who said the dialogue was too white or too black or that the bullets flying never phase anyone, maybe you should spend a little time in Detroit.

PROS:Connection to the charecters. Violence and its severity is just right.
CONS: Final act of revenge could have been more painful

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

quote:

NADZILLA came out of the closet to say:
the whitest sounding black dialogue you will ever hear.

Mark Wahlberg: "Stick that canon out the window and pop some shots!"

I went and saw this for the second time last night and wasn't as impressed. The starting is too slow, and the dialogue sounds really forced. I still enoyed myself though, and the gunfight near the end is awesome.

4/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play

quote:

The Duke came out of the closet to say:
Mark Wahlberg: "Stick that canon out the window and pop some shots!"
"Yo!! Police in da house!"

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Easily one of the most entertaining films of the summer, one of the scenes towards the middle was incredible, worth the price of admission alone. I was laughing throughout the whole thing, some of the lines were money.

The most entertaining theater experience of the summer

5/5

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Wasn't bad, but on the whole I prefered the original, "The Sons of Katie Elder," which had cowboys in.

2.5/5

Developer
Oct 12, 2004

We must not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time.
Apparently in Michigan you can pull out a gun anywhere anytime and either wave it around or just start shooting with no consequences at all.

There is a scene where Marky Mark walks into a basketball game, right out onto the court, pulls out a pistol and starts babbling. Everyone just ignores the gun and is like 'Dude get off the court'.

The fact that there are no civilians in this entire movie and that it feels like all the characters are in their own world where gun battles are as normal as going poop bothered me intensely.

I couldnt seperate myself from reality enough to enjoy this movie. I had mediocre feelings coming out of the theatre, but I know I do not want to see this movie again.

Oh yah, and no one, NO ONE cared about the Pakistani dude that is capped at the very start of the movie. He's murdered and thats it, he's gone forever.

2/5

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I didn't have high expectations going into the movie, but fortunately for me that was a good thing. I was pleasantly surprised with the movie. Although I don't think its a fantastic movie I was still entertained, definately worth seeing.

PROS: The movie had me wanting revenge
CONS: The whole introduction and explanation of the villain felt rushed oh and of course jack :cry:

4/5

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Zee Deveel posted:

Apparently in Michigan you can pull out a gun anywhere anytime and either wave it around or just start shooting with no consequences at all.

There is a scene where Marky Mark walks into a basketball game, right out onto the court, pulls out a pistol and starts babbling. Everyone just ignores the gun and is like 'Dude get off the court'.

The fact that there are no civilians in this entire movie and that it feels like all the characters are in their own world where gun battles are as normal as going poop bothered me intensely.

I couldnt seperate myself from reality enough to enjoy this movie. I had mediocre feelings coming out of the theatre, but I know I do not want to see this movie again.

Oh yah, and no one, NO ONE cared about the Pakistani dude that is capped at the very start of the movie. He's murdered and thats it, he's gone forever.

2/5
Unlike this fellow, I felt that this movie was an accurate portrayal of Detroit. I've lived there for 10 years of my life and knew a lot of the places that they were at in the movie(hey, that one scene before they went out on the Detroit River was right off of Woodward Ave. I love being able to point out where things were shot).
The dialog seemed pretty accurate, though Markie Mark's poo poo may have seemed a little out-of-place, it was still accurate.
The movie had excellent action scenes and a lot of emotional involvement. I almost cried at several parts of the movie, and other parts had me busting out in laughter.

Pros:
The actors are awesome
Great action
Good usage of the audience's feelings

Cons:
Are you telling me that nobody at that basketball had a gun? Hahahahaha, right... Or in the crack den?

I loved Jack, he was awesome damnit

5/5

SloppyBob
Oct 28, 2003
The scene at the table where they were each talking to their mom really annoyed me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I saw this movie, and it bored the hell out of me. There was almost nothing riveting about it, and after Jack died -- by the way, one of the most gutwrenching death scenes I've ever seen, I had no interest left in watching. Also, all I could hear when Sophie talked was "BLAH BLAH BLAH I'M A SHRILL ANNOYING HAG BLAH". All in all, nothing worth seeing.

2/5

Pros: Jack running his fingers through his hair in the shower, and Jack coming out of the shower naked

Cons: Jack getting shot :cry: drat it all, he was so hot, and Sophie's big fat trap

Thunderwoot Booya
May 3, 2005

I didn't go into Four Brothers expecting much quality, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a pretty good movie. The main characters were likeable and I was interested in how their story would turn out. I liked the story, and there were a few elements to it that escaped my awesome powers of CINEMA GENIUS deduction until they actually happened.

The one element I'm unsure on is the sheer intensity of the film. I had the same qualm with Sin City: does the fact that I went into a kind of sensory overload during the movie make my sensibilities outdated? This is the second movie I've seen in the past few years that has overwhelmed my senses and tolerance for violent and intense action. That said, however, I think it works to this film's advantage in that it will pull you in; the violence has a riveting effect, especially in That Scene. You know the one. Jack

I laughed, I cried, I pondered, I was sucked in and affected by a piece of fiction, and I loved every minute of it. Good movie. Go see it.

4.5/5

lan sam
Jan 17, 2005

'Ey Holmes
It really just sunk in how much I loved this movie. It had an awesome car chase, a gutwrenching fight scene holy poo poo when Jack is yelling MOM! HELP ME! or whatever and the saliva is dripping out of his mouth. Oh my god, that was awesome, awesome performances, awesome acting, a much better that average plot. This movie was awesome.

5/5.5

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

lan sam posted:

It really just sunk in how much I loved this movie. It had an awesome car chase, a gutwrenching fight scene holy poo poo when Jack is yelling MOM! HELP ME! or whatever and the saliva is dripping out of his mouth. Oh my god, that was awesome, awesome performances, awesome acting, a much better that average plot. This movie was awesome.

5/5.5

Actually, I think it was BOBBY!!!! Either way, holy loving crap -- I felt like -I- was dying when I was watching that scene. :eng101:

Going to put my vote in now.

Butt Cord
Jan 28, 2005

The State was not formed in progressive stages; it appears fully armed, a master stroke executed all at once; the primordial Urstaat, the eternal model of everything the State wants to be and desires; the basic formation, on the horizon throughout history.

Inspector_71 posted:

:words:

I agree, I thought it was a terrible collection of catchphrases and old jokes. Not to mention corniness, geez. Ex: The drive-by shooting scene where the picture of dear sweet Mama falls in front of one of the protagonists in slow-motion. Please, this movie insulted my taste. The director should stick to the F&F franchise.

Rating: 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Absolute crap. I think the story was amazing, but as has been said before, it embodied every horrible cliche that I can think of. On top of that, it was if Jon Singleton had just discovered the zoom-dolly shot, and had to use it in every loving scene. I think this would have worked better with possibly a younger more "indie" director as it seems that they are much more capable of pulling off the incredibly dark theme that this film could have portrayed so well.

0.5/5 (Only because I can't vote -5)