Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Directed by: Shinji Aramaki
Starring: voice actors you've never heard of

This movie kind of came out of nowhere for me. I hadn't heard anything about it anywhere and rented it on a whim. I was not disappointed.

The premise is that a non-nuclear war has left Earth pretty messed up. The movie opens with our protagonist on patrol with her compatriots when they are ambushed by some mechs. A beautiful and exciting CGI fight sequence follows that ends with our protagonist being tranquilized by a different band of mechs and carried off to their utopian city.

What follows is a rather average science fiction story that is vaguely reminiscient of Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell. It's not great, but it's not bad either.

Where this movie really shines is in the animation. It's a blend of CGI and handdrawn stuff that really delivers. The soundtrack is also very entertaining, with tracks from Paul Oakenfold, the Basement Jaxx, and other names in electronica.

I would recommend this movie to anyone who wants a good sci-fi fix and doesn't want to think too hard. A good movie for a night on the couch with a sack of weed.

RATING: 3

PROS: Beautiful CGI, awesome action sequences, good soundtrack
CONS: Story is kind of cheesy

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.appleseedthemovie.com/

Dipes fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 27, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
My teacher showed this to us on the last day of a CG course, and even he admitted that some parts were downright corny.

The animation looks phenomenal during the action sequences (Hell, there were a few bits where the cel shading looked good enough to be 2D), but there's a lot of boring and cliched conversation bits, where the characters sit around and look stilted and robotic while talking. It doesn't go together well at all.

tigro
Aug 15, 2003

zombie fetus army
i felt that the pacing was kind of slow, and the plot was just downright corny. the whole "humans only purpose is to kill other humans" message was really grating, and dumb. What really turned me off was the CG eyes, they were enormous and creepy as gently caress. It was like they were trying to peer into my soul, I couldn't watch without getting shivers.

To me its just like 99% of japanese sci-fi out there, it carries the same message and has the same conflicts, just this one was particularly creepy.

1/5

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
The story was your typical cheesy anime type of thing. It wasn't the worst I'd seen, but it definitely wasn't one of the best. What really made me not enjoy it was that it really seemed to me that all of the characters were dolls. I couldn't accept them as being real. So all of the talking parts looked really forced. The actions scenes however were quite enjoyable and well done. They really pulled those off, but the rest was pretty lovely.

If you want to watch this, turn off your mind. Enjoy it a bit. It is an OK time killing movie.

1.5 / 5

TommyTerror
Feb 4, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Watching this movie is like watching some really cool CG scenes in a video game. Of course, in said video game the CG scenes don't tell the story as much as the actual gameplay does, and that is the case here.

I think it tends to be a problem with most Japanese/Anime films that make it over here. Movies like this were made with an existing fanbase in mind, expecting viewers to have some sort of knowledge about the world.

That's not how it works here in the States.

The film is fine on its own if you just accept that you're thrust into the world, unfortunately there is so little explained about the history of the movie's universe (which is a big influence on the story) that by the time you figure out what's going on, it's over.

The animation is actually quite stiff in parts. On a lot of characters it looks like they used only a half assed form of motion capture, you'll see an entire arm move and keep a stiff wrist, the movement is very mannequin like.

The robot battle sequences however are amazing. It's just like watching the CG scenes in an Armored Core game.

3.5 / 5

For a movie with great Robot Battle CG, Awkward/subpar Character Animation, and a story that really could've used more background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

A stunning visual presentation let down by poor scripting.

Anyone who has read and enjoyed the original manga will find alot to love about this movie, anyone who hasn't will probably be confused by the apparent lack of character motivations and backstory.

3/5