Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Directed by: Ingmar Bergman
Starring: Gunnar Björnstrand, Ingrid Thulin, Gunnel Lindblom, Max von Sydow

I really think I am beginning to understand Bergman a little bit more now since this is my...fourth film of his, I think.

Anyways, Winter Light focuses on a disillusioned priest and his coming to terms with his religiosity. The priest,played by Björnstrand, goes through his daily routines with almost a robotic rigidness, clearly the shell of a man. We later learn of his lover Marta (Thulin) and how he resists becoming attached to her. The breaking point for Tomas comes in a one-two punch of reading Marta's letter to him criticizing him and then failing to console a parishioner (Sydow) and his worries of nuclear destruction.

The rest of the film is Tomas exploring his relationship with religion and, as a parallel, with Marta. I think one conclusion that Bergman draws is that regardless of the existence of a God, the one thing that can keep us going is connections with other human beings. This is explained in a beautifully delivered speech by a hunchback sexton. As the film ends, hope is very apparent in the person of Tomas and it fits well with the tone of the film.

I thought this film was brutally bleak, almost to a point of asceticism. All of the sets are of plain stone walls with religious imagery adorning them. But don't let the hope at the end fool you, there is a strong sense of universal aloneness for man throughout the film.

As for the acting, it is topnotch and Sydow turns in a great performance even with the scant amount of lines he is given. I think that if you've seen some Bergman films, then you know what to expect out of his troupe of actors--greatness.

5/5

RATING: 5

PROS: Bleak setting, deft acting
CONS: Brutally depressing (might be a pro)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057358

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU