Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
Directed by: Bruce Robinson
Starring: Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths

I had a hard job deciding whether this is really a comedy or a drama. I guess it's somewhere in between, you'll have have to watch and judge for yourself.

London 1969, Withnail and "I" are two out of work actors who spend their time counting the minutes until their next welfare cheques arrives. Infuriated by lack of work and city claustrophobia, they manage to coerce Withnail's uncle Monty into loaning them his country cottage for the weekend. Key in hand, they head off to fight the elements. What they don't bargain for, however, is that "clearly a raging homosexual" Monty has plans of his own.

Most of the humour is fish-out-of-water stuff, two arty city types struggling with rustic life and its difficulties, but some of the scenes are seriously hilarious. Griffiths plays the fantasticly camp Uncle to a tee, with plenty of homo-erotic hyjinks throughout. This movie is somewhat unique in the way that there are no women in it whatsoever bar extras.

Usually comedies are pretty linear; the characters get introduced, the characters get into trouble of some sort, problem is solved, happy ending. However Withnail & I is of a different ilk, there's no real dillema for the characters, and certainly no happy ending. Despite both characters apparent disapproval for homosexuality, the final scene suggests that maybe something more than friendship grew between them, coupled with the sadness of their parting.

RATING: 5

PROS: Beautiful, sad, but very funny
CONS: Drags slightly in places

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0094336/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~
Need to resurrect this, as it's been on my mind.

This film is a good test to see if someone shares my sensibilities.

It's very British, and it took me ages to decipher all of the slang and references. Most people will give up, but some will persevere and see that the British references can simply be substituted with your own country's stuff. The underlying humor is all solid.

OK, Richard E Grant is on FIRE in this film. I think much of it was method if I'm to believe written accounts. He truly looks insane during a few ranty scenes.

And there are plenty of ranty scenes. The first half of the film is basically a paranoid spiral, with the two leads getting deeper and deeper into drug-induced freakouts. I personally think that this section of the film is one of the funniest chunks of cinema I have ever seen, with dialogue, acting, and characters from high above.

The second half of the film is mostly set in a rustic cottage and becomes a power play between the three inhabitants. It's still funny, but a lot more uncomfortable.

In a fine British manner, the film ends on a somewhat tragic note, which is made worse if you've ever experienced similar "abandonment".

I love this film, and it's definitely moch closer to me than Robinson's "How To Get Ahead In Advertising".

5/5