Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
Directed by: Brett Ratner
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart

I have just returned from seeing this film (released in the UK today). I had been looking forward to it for sometime, the trailers showed it to be a very dramatic and action packed film and the film itself didn't disappoint on those scores.

Continuing with the theme of mutants being deviants, the story line here is about a "cure" for the mutant gene. This, coupled with the restoration of Jean Grey (left at the bottom of a lake in X-Men 2) makes for a very explosive movie.

The actors seem to be far more settled in their roles in this film: there is more of a sense of continuity and less of the "this is all new to us and it's exciting". We see more of a focus on the X-Men team themselves and less on the two opposing leaders - Professor X and Magneto. Although both of those characters have their own storyline.

In some ways there was far too much going on in this film to make for one excellent film: the "racism" storyline, Jean Grey, the politics, the 'lesser' characters. Cutting out one or more of those sub-plots would have enabled the writers to fill out the rest of the film. The characters are still pretty one dimensional - Wolverine, for example, seems to have stopped growing at the end of X2 and Storm didn't really seem to have much of a motivation. But when you look at how crap the film could have been, those are very minor niggles.

Now I have seen the film, Kelsey Grammar as Hank McCoy seems like a logical casting choice and Vinnie Jones as the Juggernaut executed the role better than you could expect. Oh, and there's a Sentinel in it!

So, a great movie which could have been better if it were longer or had less happening in it, but still a fantastic summer film. Fans will enjoy it, non-fans will still be able to watch it and not get too lost.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Great fight sequences, continues the film series consistently, good story
CONS: Too much going into one film

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376994/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I went to a screening tonight, and I thought it was a great way to end the series while it was still on top. I'd have to disagree with xavierp in that the plot is spread too thin; most of what he mentioned seemed more to me like smaller subplots that related to the main Jean Grey plot.

The pacing is probably the best I've seen in a movie in a good while and the action is non-stop, compounded with plenty of :wtc: moments if you haven't read any spoilers and you don't know what's coming. I don't think there was a single spot in the movie where I found myself wondering when the exciting part was going to get there, which is something that I think has plagued many of the less successful comic-movie translations.

Also, there was what looked like a Prince cameo in one of the mutants.

All in all, I thought it was a great movie, and the only part I didn't like was that we probably won't be seeing another X-Men movie unless someone decides to reset things for a new continuity. They did leave a very, very slight possibility open for another sequel, but the way they wrapped things up so tight, I think anything but a reset would result in nothing but tears and wasted money.

5/5

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 26, 2006

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Saw an early screening. I think this was decent, but the other two were better. I think all the problems the film had were with the characters. I didn't think there was enough character development, especially the background of some of them, or how quickly they killed so many of them, there was basically no reaction to Cyclops' death and I think the relationships between the main characters could have been expanded on (eg. Kitty and Iceman, Beast and Wolverine). I know they introduced a lot of characters, but I still miss the ones they left out (WHERE WAS GAMBIT?!?!?!?! ) Kelsey Grammer was surprisingly good as Beast, and Ian McKellen steals the show yet again (I daresay he's the most charming British homosexual around). The movie could've been longer and more fleshed out, and they could have put in another 10 or 20 minutes to make it the best of the three. To me it felt rushed. However, I loved the very last scene with Magneto.

Also, if you have yet to see it, stay after the end of the credits.

3.5/5

Cacator fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 26, 2006

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DONT FORGET TO WATCH AFTER THE CREDITS It totally changes the whole movie.

That being aside, I didn't have high exectations for this movie. All of my friends are all Aint it cool news junkies and take everything they say as gospel.

All the drama about the director walking off set, and this movie going to be the worst piece of shakey cam trash is all bs. This movie is pretty straight forward but be prepared for a lot of changes. Mostly script write outs, deaths etc.

Pros:
Explosions
Lots of cool stuff happens

Cons:
story doesn't give alot of leeway for more sequals (this could be good or bad for some people)

4.5/5

leavingharvard
Apr 21, 2006

You were never supposed to touch the turntable or the record. You'd ruin it.
I just returned from a theater that was the #1 selling theater for X3 in the Dallas area and #8 in the United States; it was full of teen angst and retardism. With that being said, I enjoyed the film, outside of a few questionable lines of dialogue; "Oh god" and "God help us." I mean seriously, can they think of anything else to say?!

On to the story though, I thought that all of the killings made the film seem more actiony, and holy poo poo, THE PHOENIX was beyond badass.

Pros: They did a terrific job IMO with sarcasm in the movie that infamous I'm the Juggernaut Bitch caused a huge rucus in my theater for a few minutes afterwards, and Wolverine did his job of witty one liners and cigar smoking. The loving standoff between Jean Grey (PHX) and X. Wow.

Cons: Where's the loving badassery I was expecting? Not even getting to SEE a Sentinel?! :wtc: It makes no sense! I think that some scenes could have been scrapped or maybe extended; a lot of things were easily implied or predictable.

Rating: 3.0 / 5, but I would see it again. However, I purchased two tickets tonight, one for the lady, so it would have to be free.

leavingharvard fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 26, 2006

DoctaBu
Dec 31, 2003

Looks like you may have a case of the HIPSTER.
I came in wanting an action movie that didn't suck like most sequels do and that was much like a comic book.

It most definitely delivered.

There were great and witty one-liners throughout the entire movie and the action was superb. Brilliant CGI effects were throughout and I most definitely enjoyed it. The acting was much like the other movies which was refreshing because I always worry if they're going to "jump the shark."

I love how the X-Men movies always feature actors that you know well from other movies or shows (Frasier, Snatch, etc.) and put them as superheroes. That's always fun to watch.

All in all, it was a great movie and the only thing I could think of to be improved would possibly be some of the cheesy lines put in here or there. The audience with me definitely caught the couple of cheesy lines that came up and would not let them go.

Great movie!

4.5/5

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
The action and cg was well done, that's about it.

Plot and character development was skimped out on. Plot holes and missed opportunities were abundant. There were a lot of question marks, and I don't mean the thought provoking kind, more like "wow, that was retarded."

Singer was able to connect emotion to the characters, and meaningful dialogue. Ratner dumbed down to the standards of Money talks and Rush Hour. I wonder how.

2/5

Matty D fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 26, 2006

Knowledge Expert
Feb 18, 2004

A great closer to the series that surpassed the first two in most aspects. Held my interest from start to finish.

Pros: Excellent action. Epic storyline. Fun dialogue that lacks Singer's cheese.

Cons: Character development is zilch because there is way to much going on.

Russell_Nash
Mar 3, 2006
Pros:
- Some of the CGI was really good.
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart were again the highlight of the movie.
- Kelsey Grammer did a really good job, and beast looked great
- "im Juggernaut bitch"
Cons:
- Weak story, mutant cure = lame. they didn’t even resolve the freaking story. They saved the kid from the island(right?) and stopped Mags but what about the cure? What about the government pressure on mutant registration? What about the aggressive stance the military took on to the school during the 2nd one? The movie just stopped after the final fight scene and 3/4ths the cast died
- Weak dialog, a lot of the banter felt very unnatural and forced.
- Weak character development; maybe if they cut out the 30mins of cameos and new mutant introductions that could have spent some time building up some relationships between some characters before they ALL FREAKING DIED!
- Nearly every important character dies within the first half of the movie and no one seems to give a crap. Scotts death was barely acknowledged
- Rogue? she had all of three lines in the whole movie. With the mutant cure it seems like there’s a hell of a lot to be said there considering that’s all her character wanted in the first two movies, to be normal.
- Kitty, Colossus , Angel, Pyro, ice-man care to contribute to the story or you just gonna sit there and take up space?

Maybe if they developed some of the characters in the series instead of just adding more newbies with zero depth this movie wouldn’t have sucked so hard. 3/10

emotional facism
Feb 10, 2006

from a lacerated sky
I really should have listened to the negative buzz, I think that would have saved me from being so disapppointed. The movie just seemed a mess to me. What's up with all of Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants being a bunch of Hot Topic rejects and otherwise powerless, leaping to their deaths, kinda guys? No Nightcrawler? Far too much tough guy action flick dialog, lame introductions (especially Jugernaut and Multiple Man), and a few shockingly stupid events. I was pretty much ready to throw my hands up in disgust and leave after the R Lee Emry voice over during the "let's get our plastic weapons" scene. I do have some Pros, but with this movie to go any deeper would just be giving up too much. I will say that the sentinel scene ended up being a huge let down. Uhm...pros...pros....Wolverine confronting Phoenix. That was pretty good.
This is really the Return of the Jedi of the series (or whatever you think the least enjoyable original Star Wars movie was). There's some neat stuff, you know the characters, but outside of that; not only is the movie a let down and a mess, it also just goes too far, tries to redeem itself, but no. It's just pretty bad.
2/5

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I typed up a whole review of this movie, but then after reading Cranky's, find it touches all my points

quote:

If you want to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Hollywood is a cesspool of whoredom and back-door deal-making, just look at the credits of the writers responsible for this monstrous piece of crap.

Between them, Simon Kinberg and Zak Penn have written "XXX: State of the Union," "Elektra" and "Inspector Gadget." Now admittedly, screenwriting is a profession where one has very little control over the final product, but just how much talent does it take to write lines like "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" (unless you're William Congreve) and "take cover!" There are also two uses of the word "bitch" that I found offensive, but more than that, I found them lazy. They're unnecessary and pointless, and that in itself is profane.

Maybe there was simply a hack reunion going on while the movie was being made because the producers also brought in director Brett ("Rush Hour 2") Ratner, who has about as much talent as an avocado pit. He's replacing Bryan Singer and it's obvious that any personal connection to the material is now completely gone. "X-Men 3" is utterly witless, soulless and utilizes the kind of music that, were it played in an elevator, would inspire riders to shatter their skulls against the walls to seek relief. Seriously, I could easily do my whole review about the music. Imagine Barbie from the sorority down the street jamming her iPod buds into your ears and blasting the entire "American Idol" repertoire at a volume of "11" until the battery runs out and you get some idea of the kind of torture I'm talking about.

Ratner and the writers churn through their character development like starving squirrels discovering a secret stash of nuts. This edition begins with the government announcing that scientists have developed a cure for the mutant X gene. This sends Magneto (Ian McKellen) into a paranoid fit and Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart) into defensive mode. Meanwhile, all the mutants, including Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), are trying to figure out what to make of Jean Grey (Famke Janssen), who's come back from the dead and has incredible new superpowers, including one that allows her to stand around and stare off into space while doing absolutely nothing for seemingly hours on end. Seriously, Janssen has this look on her face throughout the entire movie that screams "Help me. I'm in a really bad movie and I know it."

Internet chatter about the film has been dominated by curiosity about Angel (Ben Foster), a winged mutant whose ability to fly seems to stem from the fact that he'd easily get his rear end kicked if he landed in one place for too long. Sadly, you could cut out every scene the character is in and the film would lose nothing, except maybe some audible groaning.

Hopefully, I made my last stand during an X-Men movie when I got up to leave the theater.

Exactly (1.5/5)

AlbertGator
Nov 16, 2004

Alligator for Hire

LorneReams posted:

really angry review

Yeah, all that's kind of true. Except the music, that seems like he was really reaching for something to gripe about. I mean, I noticed it a few times when the "you should be sad now" or "you should be excited now" music started up, but it was by no means the ear-piercing crap he made it out to be.

All in all, though, it was an enjoyable movie, as long as you're not the kind of person who seizes up and can't deal with "OMG why are they so stupid Collosus and Wolverine fighting Magneto when Storm is right there" and minor annoyances like that. Plus could Magneto have chosen a few lamer people to surround himself with, really? That pufferfish guy? What a lovely power.

A lot of the subplots were so...forced. There was nothing behind them. Iceman vs. Pyro in the match to determine who gives a poo poo! Two whiny annoying teenagers with tackily opposite powers fight to...well, they fight because it looks cool. Rogue? What Rogue? And why on earth did Kitty get so much face time? Seriously, in what way is she important? A lot of the characters' decisions seemed random based on what little character development there was.

3.5/5

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

What happens after the credits?! I didn't stay, it was 2 a.m. and I really had to pee.

Other than that, this was a poorly directed movie. I liked it, actions scenes were good, but the characters had no chemistry, the jokes died (people in the audience actually booed the jokes), and the flow of the movie was really choppy. This was all directioral faults. I still really enjoyed myself.

And what's with calling little girls 'bitches' - it was used twice and it wasn't that funny either time?

4/5

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

York_M_Chan posted:

What happens after the credits?! I didn't stay, it was 2 a.m. and I really had to pee.

Xavier isn't dead, it's him on a hospital bed with his face covered. A nurse comes in who he names "Moira" which happens to be the person he has a child with. Oh, that child is Legion, and loving destroys everything and is the reason the age of apocalypse came about.

The movie had fun action, with lots of fan service, but on a whole the plot was filled with holes, and mediocre at best. Unfortunatley losing bryan singer did a lot to hurt this film. The actors all did a good job, and I'll mirror other people's words of Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart stealing the show, and the rest weren't shabby honestly. It was just the script, oh god. To be fair though, this one had the most comic book feel to it, unfortunatley, that doesn't mean it's a good movie.

3.5/5

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!

Korwen posted:

Xavier isn't dead, it's him on a hospital bed with his face covered. A nurse comes in who he names "Moira" which happens to be the person he has a child with. Oh, that child is Legion, and loving destroys everything and is the reason the age of apocalypse came about.

My understanding was that he had transfered his consciousness to the body of the vegetable he was talking about in class

The whole movie felt rushed to me. Most of my complaints have already been covered so I'll just say that it was pretty good, but definitely a let down in the series for me.

3.5/5

I was hoping they were going to end the series on a high note, rather than open the door for a sequel with two 5 second clips at the end of the movie. So much for going down with class...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It felt like the whole movie was a lead up to an action scene, when the action scene came, it was awful.

The only reason I will give this a 1 is because I thought the scene with Phoenix and Logan at the end was cool. The dialog was bad, the acting was bad, the logic in the movie itself is stupid.

I love how magneto could buy a box of nails and take out every guard there but no, let the pawns die! A line that for some reason had to be said twice. Also, he just attacks a bunch of soldiers and moved a loving bridge and he isn't in jail? And to pick on him once more, Xavier was his best and only friend and he isn't at the funeral?

This movie poo poo on everything the second one tried to build. Have fun with the better box-office income, Superman.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
The film definitely shits all over what the previous movies built, but I'm not a huge nerd, so I enjoyed it from a mindless superhero action flick point of view.

If movies are pure entertainment to you, you will enjoy this film. If not, well, sorry.

Spiny Norman
Aug 11, 2005

...Dinsdale?
Independent of nerdism and similar brands of nerd rage, this was a somewhat coherent movie that left little to no impact at all. It had, at best, superficial characterization, and all in all it felt like someone had hung the scenes on a shoddy frame of a plot. There's no flow, no evolution of the movie (no pun intended), no buildup - there's just scene after scene after scene, and then there's something like a resolution.

It feels the same way with the characters. All the character interactions seemed to have been planned in specific groups, like they wanted to see Xavier square off with Phoenix, Wolverine square off with Storm, Wolverine square off with Magento, etc, etc, etc. It's more about plot points than anything. I felt sort of like a ping pong ball while I watched this movie, going back and forth and back and forth.

It's not bad. But it's nothing terrific. It doesn't have the coherency of the first two films; there's no specific tone, no specific character, no specific plot and no specific theme. It tries everything at once, and gets about three quarters of the way.

It's entertaining. But nothing remarkable.

3/5

Cawdor
Oct 5, 2004
I'm not much of a comic book fanboy and I never expected to like either of the first two Xmen movies. Both times I came out of the theatre thinking, "drat! I wish I had read the comic or watched the cartoons when I was younger, Xmen kick rear end!"

This time I came out of the theatre thinking, "drat! I wish I had read the comic or watched the cartoons when I was younger, I don't know who the gently caress most of those guys were or what they could do!"

Like a few others have pointed out before, the movie was short on character development and lacked any sense of urgency. By the time they final battle and rescue the bald kid, half the characters I knew and liked from the previous movies are dead and despite doing a lovely job of introducing any new bad guys they have the gall to set up a sequel. Why the gently caress should I care if theres going to be another one now?

All in all, I didn't hate it but I did feel very let down.

3/5

Bucky
Jun 17, 2004

I was never into the comics much, so perhaps my view is a little short-sided.

But I thought this movie kicked rear end. Perhaps I'm not understanding you guys correctly: you go to comic book movies expecting great acting and character development? And how did this one ruin the others? Halle Berry was always awful, Cyclops was always whiny, Famke Janssen's delivery was always pretty mild, and most of the lines were eye-rollingly cheesy. The only bright spots are, of course, Ian Mcklellan and Patrick Stewart, and they aren't diminished at all in the third one.

What I, and most people I know, go to see when I see an X-Men movie, or any comic book movie, is action and crazy, holy-poo poo style effects.

Ok, there was a little too much love story, and Rogue was getting on my nerves. But the Juggernaut, come on! And the Phoenix was amazing. Plus, the not one, but two wonderful twists at the end of the movie...it was fun.

5/5

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
It's a very uneven movie. I liked the first half of the movie a lot. Then came the second half, which just went nowhere.

There were too many plots going on, and none of them tied together at all. You have the main plot, with the cure. You have the secondary plot, with Pheonix. Despite the fact that the first Pheonix confrontation was the best part of the film and that Pheonix was responsible for several things which should have sent giant shockwaves throughout the movie, the entire Pheonix sublot had no impact on the main storyline at all. If Jean Gray had stayed dead, very little would have played out any differently. The racism plotline, which was the most interesting, had little to do with the main storyline.

The movie felt empty. The movie really, really lost the feeling of the world existing where the camera isn't watching. When the X-Men assemble for their last stand, it's literally just the six of them walking through empty hallways in the school. Compared to the school invasion of the second movie, where you saw all sorts of minor characters with their superpowers fighting the army, it really felt lacking. Half of the characters that were there weren't important, and a third of the characters I don't even know the names of. The guy that shoots quills? The porcupine guy? The girl that ran fast? The guy that could multiply himself? I have no idea what their names are, and I don't know why they were in the movie. Even worse are notable absences from the previous movies; where was Nightcrawler? They didn't even give a throwaway line to why he wasn't there. As people have noted, character development is basically nonexistant.

The fighting was uninspired. Almost all of the fighting dissolved into fightfights with almost no use of mutant powers. The huge group of mutants that Magneto recruits? Almost all of them just run headfirst into combat and died. These are mutants; can't they do something cool? The bulk of the fighting that I can remember consists of second-long shots of Beast spinning indistinctly towards someone and shots of Wolvering slashing at people. I say at because you rarely even see his claws go into somone; he moves his hands and people fall over. I might be biased because I think that watching Juggernaut, Wolverine, Beast, or Colossus punch someone once is no more interesting than watching a normal person punch someone once, but the after the first fight scene, they were all stupid. Not once did a mutant use his powers more than twice in one combat, and they were lucky if one of those uses did anything important.

The pacing is terrible. After the first Pheonix confrontation, the rest of the movie is an undistinguished mass of scenes.

I give it three stars because it's really a good movie until you realize that, as The Dave said, the entire point of the movie is a fight scene. A lot of other scenes and plots are well done, but when you realize they contribute nothing to the focus of the movie, they lose a lot of their impact. If they were to cut out everything involving the badguys, you'd have a pretty decent flick.

3/5

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
This will be a very short review, but it's all that I think really matters for a movie like this - I was entertained. I laughed a couple times, I was interested in the story, the fights were fun even if corny, and I left with a smile on my face. That's all I wanted out of this, and it's exactly what I got.

4/5

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Terrible special effects combined with lame dialogue really made what little mindless entertainment this movie could provide absolutely worthless. Even the fight scenes were poorly done.

2/5

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

Bucky posted:

But I thought this movie kicked rear end. Perhaps I'm not understanding you guys correctly: you go to comic book movies expecting great acting and character development? And how did this one ruin the others? Halle Berry was always awful, Cyclops was always whiny, Famke Janssen's delivery was always pretty mild, and most of the lines were eye-rollingly cheesy. The only bright spots are, of course, Ian Mcklellan and Patrick Stewart, and they aren't diminished at all in the third one.

See I agree with this for the most part, except the first 2 movies didn't feel like a comic book movie. There was character development, which makes sense, because comics contain a lot of it.

But your right, Halle Barry was meh. But I thought Jackman played a great Wolverine! :)

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
I never read any of the comic books, and I never knew anything about X-Men before the movies. In fact, I have only seen the other two movies once. So this definitely is not "nerd rage"...

The movie was terrible. All the dialouge was either cheesy forced banter/quips (everytime Hugh Jackman opens his mouth); or it was really cliche, and supposedly deep and powerful (basically everytime Halle Barry opens her mouth).

Like someone else above me has already said, the movie is more or less never really resolved. It just kind of ends without a solid explaination.

There were a million story lines going on at once...some without any good reason. Was the angel guy really necessary? He was really poorly developed. Was the 13 year old girl coming between the two 20 somethings necessary....was that kid, in general, even needed in the movie? The whole Phoenix thing was really hard to understand and it didn't seem very well explained or set up.

The special effects were run of the mill and nothing to write home about. The scene at the beginning where they make Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen look 20 years younger is terrible. Patrick Stewart looks like the wax figure of himself.

I guess if you like the comic and know who the characters are and want to see them come to life, you might be interested. But from an outsider point of view, who has no huge interest in X-Men, it's a terrible movie. This is not a movie for people who aren't already familiar with the franchise/comic.

1/5

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
I am a fan of the comics, and the more I think about the movie the more it pisses me off. Beyond the spoilers that have already been said in the thread:
Colossus and Angel both brought nothing to the table. All they had were a few cameo appearances and no real showcasing of their powers. No character development at all. Very big disappointment.

If you're a fan of the comics, you won't like this movie.

If anyone is going to like it, it will only be people who just watched the movies. As said before, any connection to the characters abd material left with Singer, and thats pretty clear early into the movie.

1/5

Angry Communist
Oct 11, 2003

I'm about to break!
The movie itself was a really rough addition to the series - especially with its emphasis on blind action, much rather than the eye for relationships that the first two insisted upon. Although I'm not complaining out loud too loudly, since it was a pretty excellent blindy-mc-fight-fight summer blockbuster movie. It kept me entertained for the hour and fourty minutes, which is a good enough movie for my rather particular tastes.

X-Men: The Last Stand really does stand out as an excellent popcorn movie - fast paced, neat powers, explosions and witty dialog -- what it isn't is a good X-Men movie. While it introduced some situations that weren't entirely unheard of in the comics, the pace at which they rolled 'em out onto the audience was an absolute turnoff.

THIS PARAGRAPH HAS SPOILERS I'M A lovely POSTER.

Either way, though. If you sit through the movie as a comic book fan, your brain will weep - if you sit through it as an average John Q. America, it's a pretty good movie.

Not great, but good.

Plus. Kitty Pryde and Juggernaut both make this movie. Bar none.

3/5

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 28, 2006

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
This movie essentially sucked. The one thing that hasnt really been touched on is how Magneto is essentially a power hungry rear end in a top hat in this movie and has no other real motivation. Maybe I am wrong, but I always thought he was just a racist version of Charles Xavier, character wise. Yet in this movie he callously throws away the lives of his followers when he could easily have done the job himself with no loss of life or mutant power, and how he just abandons his long time henchmen, that just saved his life, when they are no longer useful.

And I also am thinking they could have cut out everything that didnt directly affect Wolverine, Magneto, Pheonix, Charles, or Beast and made a much better movie with the time freed up. As it is there was about 50 thousand plot holes in this movie. Seriously, why the hell did Angel appear out of no-where at the end? How did he fly all the way from the Institute and arrive at most 10 minutes after a motherfucking jet plane? I didnt know he was a relative of the Flash.

2/5

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 27, 2006

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
A laughing stock. Killed too many characters, introduced characters only to kill them. No one really felt right. Stupid drama, stupid romance, the sentinel was 2 floodlights and a model head.

Argh.

2/5 if only for the super gay transvestite mutant.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
This movie had big explosions, special effects that were at worst pretty cool and at best drat cool, a reasonably engaging story, good action sequences, and laughably clichéd and stupid dialog. Hence I enjoyed it a lot! I can't really call this movie good or bad because neither is true, but it worked because both the good stuff and the bad stuff was entertaining.

CapKrugers
Feb 29, 2004
The Lego Man
I am a fan of silly, silly things (heck, I'm a member of the SA forums!) and unintentional humor, but when it comes to the X-Men series, then I can't laugh at failure.

The action scenes in the movie were quite enjoyable (well, except for the disintegration after disintegration) and there were certainly some funny points.

However, like others have been mentioned, there was a severe lack of character development, little or no resolution of plot, and puzzling reactions by the characters to major plot points. It seems like they tried to introduce too many new characters, instead of perhaps adding little nods to fans of the comic books as they did in previous X-Men movies (such as Gambit's name in a computer registry of mutants or seeing Beast on TV in the background).

All in all, X-Men: The Last Stand is noteworthy because it is not as good as it should have been. For fans of the comics or any other interpretations of X-Men, it will almost certainly be a disappointment. For fans of the movie series, it might be passable.

TommyTerror
Feb 4, 2004

by Fistgrrl
X-Men 3 really shows you how powerful Brian Singer was as a director and how much David Hayter brought to the table as a writer.

Especially since neither one of them are attached to this piece of garbage.

While there isn't any stupid shaky cam that some feared would be here, it might as well have been all over the place for all the sense this film makes.

The first mistake was not getting Brian Singer to direct. Their second was hiring Rattner. Their third was trying to include 3 different storylines from the comics into one two hour film. It doesn't work, and everything feels like it only exists just to bring you to the final fight.

The good: Visually, the movie is pretty awesome. Mutants frolick about and kick rear end like they should. It feels like I'm watching City of Villains come to life in a really cool way.

And the actors really carry the film despite Rattner's best efforts to ruin it.

The bad: The problem with actors carrying the film is that they won't develop their characters. That's up to the writers. The bumblefuck team of Kinberg and Penn creates all these wonderful ideas on paper, and then kinda hopes that Rattner will bring them to a wonderful fruition.

The ugly: I hope Rattner dies in a fiery auto crash after watching this. My favorite comic movie franchise has been trashed.

Gone is the philosophical quandaries of X-Men past (mutant powers for good, or for evil?). The characters that could have given the deepest story and emotional influence to it are killed off or written out completely.

gently caress you, Brett Rattner. gently caress you.

3 / 5

For being a very visually entertaining movie, but just becoming another one of those eye candy pieces of Hollywood garbage.

Don't watch this, watch the first two, then hold yourself and remember; this one never happened.

r2tincan
Jul 21, 2004
Okay what the gently caress?

For the first 20 or 30 minutes of the film I was very entertained, that sentinel head in the danger room... excuse me holodeck... was pretty awesome. I would like to see a loving army of sentinels though.

I'm really confused as to why they felt the need to kill everyone. My immediate thought was the actors just didn't want to be apart of the franchise anymore so they just had them write their characters off. Killed Cyclopse? What the gently caress? We didn't even see that happen. Or the body. Or whatever. No one even cared. Killed Professor X? What the gently caress?

And then they thought somehow that I'd be cool to cure mystique and rogue and rid them of any purpose in the franchise.

So here's the death/useless list...
Professor X (sort of)
Magneto (sort of)
Rogue
Cyclopse
Jean Grey
Mystique

I don't know it all seems kind of dumb and pointless. Speaking of pointless, what was with that useless mutant who could make spikes come out of his body? Ohh poo poo! Run away! His only kill in the whole movie is killing someone by a hug? Archangel was totally useless. All he did was fly, lol.

And what about the ending? Where is it? There was no ending to this film. We have no idea what happens in the overall plotline. Just a huge bodycount, taking out half of the best characters, and introducing absolutely nothing of value.

Except for that hottie that played Kitty.

And because of her.... 3/5
(she's really hot)

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Disappointing and annoying at times but overall a film that tries to keep fans happy.

I went into the film knowing several major changes would be taking place. How far the changes went surprised me and left me feeling disappointed. Not because there was bad acting or writing but because it was well wrote and had good acting.

I was left with some questions in the end, I felt the ending could have used some rewriting. Too many special effects, not enough story.

If you are not a Wolverine fan, you might want to skip this film.

3.0/5

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.
I'm approaching this from both a film fan rage and nerd rage point of view.

This film's a classic case in point of why comic book films should only be allowed to be directed by comic book nerds. This needs bullet points...

[*]If there's one situation where you should never have to invent characters, it's with a film set in the X-Men continuity. Why the hell invent a speedster instead of using Quicksilver?
[*]You. Do. Not. Kill. Off. Cyclops.
[*]Where the gently caress was Nightcrawler?
[*]Storm's character was completely wrong in this film, and the use of her powers in terms of ninja-spinning-top thing was a case of "What the gently caress?"
[*]The Scott/Jean/Logan love triangle was hosed with.
[*]Why no Phoenix flamebird? Especially after it was flagged at the end of 2.
[*]The Golden Gate Bridge thing, oh deary deary me.
[*]Magneto playing chess in the park at the end was such bullshit. He was bound to have been arrested. Reckon this was filmed after test audiences went "you can't loving do that."
[*]Angel was pointless, just pointless. Either give him more screentime, or don't bring him in.
[*]Rogue taking the cure, didn't fit into character.
[*]COCK TEASING WITH loving SENTINELS.
[*]The Brotherhood were poo poo. They shouldn't have been all scummy alternateen tattooed idiots, there should have proper variety there.
[*]Brotherhood again, the tattoo thing, oh dear - talk about clumsly schmaltz.

I could go on, but it's bad when the two most exciting things about the trip to the cinema were the Superman Returns and Ghost Rider trailers. In short, don't go and see this if you're not a fan of the comics, and if you are a fan of the comics, buy a gun and start hunting Ratner. This isn't a film that tried to keep comic fans happy, this is a film that ignored the characters and the universe in the comics.

Low as you can go/5.

LowJack
Jun 27, 2003

A colossal disappointment (no pun intended).

The first two movies built a magnificent and solid "ship" of stories and character development, the third was basically the new directors and writers detonating land mines, dynamite and anything they could think to severely cripple/destroy the vessel.

What a loving disappointment.

2.5 / 5 Golden Manbabies.

EDIT: As a side note, the film broke the 3-day Memorial Day weekend record with an approximate 107 million in sales. The last film to do so was Jurassic Park with 77 million.

LowJack fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 28, 2006

ataridc
Aug 30, 2005

Gave it a 3.5

It was too short for the amount of plots/subplots they introduced. I can't pretend like I wasn't incredibly entertained. It was funny, there was some decent action, and Ratner's directing was a nice mimic job of Singer's. I really like this franchise, especially Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, and so I hope there is at least another story in the future. Preferably with some of Singer's heart injected back into it.

Noted Literally
May 25, 2005
I'm so confused...
I enjoyed this film immensely, but don't go if you expect it to remain true to the comics. Despite what I heard before about poor wire-work, the scenes didn't seem that bad to me. The fights were entertaining, and I enjoyed the moral ambiguity of the brotherhood. That said, there were several glaring continuity error, especially at one point where it suddenly shifts from day to night. In the end though, it was great fun, and I'm especially glad that Magneto didn't really lose his powers.

4/5

StrayChild
Feb 20, 2004

I thought it was pretty good. The sappy stuff was a bit heavy at parts for me but the movie succeeded at keeping me entertained for the duration. The fights are quite well done.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickedcapedkid
Oct 7, 2002

Bam!
Augh. I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with the lot of people. I'm a comic book fan, but not necessarily an X-Men fan. I love Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, and more, but frankly, my problem with the X-Men is that there is too many characters...so many branching storylines with absolutely no balance in character development and this movie reflects that very problem. A lot of new characters were introduced, even some brand new ones created solely for the film, and yet...none of them seem to really hold any substantial value to the storyline. In addition to that Colosus, Cyclops, Kitty Pryde... some of the "main characters" hardly have any lines in the movie at all.

The movie just centralizes on Wolverine all over again, Magneto does some bad poo poo, and by the end of the movie there's so many side-stories and characters floating around that nothing is wrapped up.

It's hard to even consider this a popcorn flick seeing as the action was rather boring and the cg looked terrible. Frankly, Aeon Flux was a better movie.

What the hell were they thinking? To put it bluntly, with the exception of a few witty lines of dialogue ("I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!") this movie sucked notably bad.

1.5/5

Edit - There's actually MUCH more wrong with the film than my above complaints, but you can read the spoilers in the above posts for that.

Wickedcapedkid fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 28, 2006