Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Directed by: Jonathan Jakubowicz
Starring: Mía Maestro, Jean Paul Leroux

Never before has a film scared me so much. That's right. I've sat through countless horrors, slash flicks, "psychological thrillers and this film comes out on top.

A wonderfully shot film not only tells the tale of a South American kidnapping, but puts the viewer right into the back of a car with the victims. For the majority of the movie prepare to feel gagged and kicked the poo poo out of, because you (like the couple) will not be doing anything that makes a difference for the rest of the movie.

In the city of Caracas in Venezuela express kidnappings happen so often, they rarely make the news anymore. Here is some flavour ;

"In an express kidnapping, a taxi driver persuades an arriving traveller to board for a ride into the city, then drives a short distance and picks up an accomplice, who then forces the victim to hand over his bank cards and cash. Together they drive to ATMs to empty his bank accounts and then abandon him, usually with enough money to take a taxi to his hotel. The problem is so severe that one U.S. company that does a lot of business in Caracas requires its employees to travel from the airport with a security detail."

With this mindset, through the entire film you are thinking "this really is happening” and the documentary cinematography only reinforces that emotion. It's amazing to watch the dynamics between the kidnappers and the victims. The mannerisms used, and the tactics used by different parties to get what they want out of the situation, which of course are very different things. With the gang consisting of a rapist, a ex-con, an OG (Original Gangster for you jive turkeys out there) and a middle class romantic, it's not quite the A-Team, but they get the job done.

The director has seriously tried to create a social commentary as the backbone of the film and it's a little overbearing at times, "Yes - we already understand they have no money. Yes, we know these people have money.....". It also becomes clear that the motive for the crime is not just money, but is a social revenge.

I'm a paranoid person at heart, as my "overloved" fiancée will tell you. This film brings out some of my worst fears and then some. Sometimes real life is much more frightening then fantasy will ever be.

5/5

RATING: 5

PROS: Acting,
CONS: Social Awareness Lesson

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371939/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU