Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

RadioPassive posted:

My big backup bank that can jump a car is a big thick brick of lithium.

Chances are it's just a bunch of 18650s wired together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I've had it open, it's one of the rectangular lithium packs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

My first and last digital radio had a slot in the back to take a bunch of D cells, but you could also buy a lithium pack that went in the same hole.

It was expensive and I never bothered getting it.

Completely off-topic now, but what the gently caress is it with DAB radios somehow being more expensive than actual televisions that can also receive DAB? Are they basically relying on the fact that the only people who want a standalone radio receiver are 87 years old and just assume a new radiogram costs a week's wages?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I worked briefly at a battery startup where we made custom cells with a specialized chemistry. It involved dumping precise amounts of various powders into a big rear end industrial dough blender, then taking well mixed goop and running it through electric kitchen pasta rollers. After some hydraulic pressing, sonic welding and some other steps, we'd drop the stack in a little box and fill it with diluted KOH and put it on a test stand to watch it rapidly fall short of expectations. The KOH is stored in these huge 55 gallon drums with janky hand pumps for retrieval, but when it's being prepped for use they pull off the pump and drop in an electric propeller on a stick to keep it stirred up.

Well one day the propeller got loose and began to rub the inside of the barrel until it eventually popped open, resulting in a beautiful laminar flow arc of skin melting liquid pouring out at full force. Fortunately someone was quick with the spill control kit and was able to contain it by dropping sorbent tubes and dumping hydrochloric acid all over it, but not before a few of us got splashed by it. I still have a speckling of scars on one arm. Sometimes you'd get a drop or two on your shoe and not realize it until you were halfway home and felt a strong burning sensation on the top of your foot. None of that was half as bad as they time I rolled my bike into the shop to mount a Givi Monokey top case to my motorcycle. Now THAT was a nightmare.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen USB-charged batteries in AAA and AA, but never C and D, which is weird. Internally they're just normal lithium cells and overload protection (with like you say a step-down transformer), I wonder if it's something to do with the amount of potential current that anything using C or particularly D batteries might draw being a problem?

Or it could just be that everything using the big batteries is stuff like incandescent lamps/torches, ghetto blasters, and big motorised toys that all have much better total replacements available nowadays (or has the option of mains power) so there's just not the demand to make it worth even the obscurest alibaba merchant to start churning them out.

I just got an Eneloop rechargeable AA pack for work, and it includes these things that look like pill bottles with metal nipples sticking out, you fit one of the rechargeable AAs in there, and it makes it fit in a C or D hole.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

I had to get some for a child toy last week. Took three shops before I found a packet that wasn't out of date.

Coydog posted:

What do you think a millennial is, exactly?

Also LMAO dealing with D Cells ever. Even back in the 90s they were an expensive unicorn.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Even for younger millennials, flashlights and radios and poo poo all ran on Ds when we were young. Lithium batteries and usb charging is an extremely recent thing, relatively speaking.
I still have electronic equipment for my job that runs on them. It’s a pain in the rear end, but poo poo works.

Guys I'm sorry. I was just shitposting. I am a millennial. I am well aware of what D-cells are. But I don't have any children so I have no idea if modern kids toys still use batteries like that.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elviscat posted:

I just got an Eneloop rechargeable AA pack for work, and it includes these things that look like pill bottles with metal nipples sticking out, you fit one of the rechargeable AAs in there, and it makes it fit in a C or D hole.

Please don't put batteries in your d hole.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MetaJew posted:

Guys I'm sorry. I was just shitposting. I am a millennial. I am well aware of what D-cells are. But I don't have any children so I have no idea if modern kids toys still use batteries like that.

I read an unhealthy amount of ADVRider so when I see the word millennial on a forum I just assume the worst.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Please don't put batteries in your d hole.

Cycle pictures and videos: sticking C's in your D-hole ITT

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have a bunch of c and d cell Maglites I've picked up at thrift stores for a buck or 2.

I just buy the led upgrade bulbs.

Not the brightest lights but indestructible and if you take the batteries out you have a breakerbar extension for tire changes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Just a normal day on the West Coast.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztugr9L5mwk

this is so stupid I kind of want one

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo, I have a particular affinity for centrifugal pumps, and that makes me want it bad.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Dang, there's that much air in the mix? Is that normal?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

RadioPassive posted:

Dang, there's that much air in the mix? Is that normal?

Cavitation, perhaps?

mewse
May 2, 2006

FBS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztugr9L5mwk

this is so stupid I kind of want one

I think it's available here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001023191822.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Cavitation, perhaps?

I thought that too, but cavitation bubbles should collapse immediately in the discharge of the pump

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I think it's both cavitation and a bunch of air in the system, you can see lots of bubbles coming down the intake pipe.

If my bike was closer to needing a coolant service I'd be all over this and I might order it anyway just to have it on hand when the time comes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The person filming that video probably literally just installed it, started it and filmed it.

You would have to do an awful lot of convincing me that a plastic water pump cover off aliexpress wouldn’t just crack within the first 10 miles

That’s an awful lot of heat cycling and vibration to trust to Chinese plastic

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Made this a while ago for the minimoto racing club in Washington state. Follow us and then put slicks on your kid's dirt bike so you can race with us.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-w62CwH9Ks/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Slim Pickens posted:

Made this a while ago for the minimoto racing club in Washington state. Follow us and then put slicks on your kid's dirt bike so you can race with us.

That's awesome and also great race traiing for bigger bikes too. The pro racers used to spend time on XR100s on flat tracks as lower consequence training.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

You can crash with comfort
https://streamable.com/eue4g1

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slim Pickens posted:

minimoto was a lot of fun-- are there any options these days for a 100-125cc with disc brakes that's not a grom?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slim Pickens posted:

How did you shoot this? Looks really cool.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Razzled posted:

minimoto was a lot of fun-- are there any options these days for a 100-125cc with disc brakes that's not a grom?

TTRs converted to supermoto seem to be the most competitive in that class, with the try-hard team running a B bike with a built TTR which gives our RM85 a challenge. There's a Kawi Z125 racing but they're not on pace. Tires are huge; we're able to run 17s with Dunlops.

Last season you could rent Ohvales but they're $7k new.

Edit: here's onboard from another TTR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wlseZip_xo

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 16, 2020

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

I was on board to do cascadia mini moto this year but well, you know. Ended up buying a grom to play in the city on, but am hoping to pick up a cheap ttr, 65 or 85 smoker. The prices were insane over the summer but hopefully they drop when they're just taking up space over the winter.

Are you running 12" or 17" wheels? It probably depends on the track, but what seems the most competitive?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The opening scene of the new season of Archer heavily features a weirdly detailed first-gen katana. It is both very strange and very awesome

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't that a gpz900 on the left too?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Looks like a 3D model so I'm gonna guess they bought them predone out of a model library, which would explain the level of detail

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Could be. The archer animation staff is also known for being super into vehicles if all kinds and making them extremely realistic.

It’s probably a mix of both

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
2-stroke 1/4 mile racing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2hgK-wZ1XA

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ant mouth posted:

I was on board to do cascadia mini moto this year but well, you know. Ended up buying a grom to play in the city on, but am hoping to pick up a cheap ttr, 65 or 85 smoker. The prices were insane over the summer but hopefully they drop when they're just taking up space over the winter.

Are you running 12" or 17" wheels? It probably depends on the track, but what seems the most competitive?

The quarantine threw a bunch of race series into chaos this year. Lots of cancelled races, and motoamerica couldn't have spectators on it's first year at the Ridge(which actually helped bring a few more teams to the last race). Fastest bikes are the CRF150s, with the 85cc 2-strokes just behind them, then ttrs, 65s, groms, pitbikes, xr100s etc. The grom might be fun to try in a minimoto sprint race, or find a few dudes and field an endurance team after wiring up and putting sliders on the grom.

Our team runs 17" wheels with a fuckoff huge brake that came standard on much larger 450 sumos and 650 pegasos. It's not bad once you get used to it, but it's an instant endo button.

Peep that prototype caliper adapter

SEKCobra posted:

How did you shoot this? Looks really cool.

Shoot the same corner on a tripod 30 times, then import the good shots to after effects and spend hours tracking, cropping, and syncing. I set up for another one at Mac track, gonna try to make it a seamless loop which'll push the limits of my after effects talents.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Slim Pickens posted:

The quarantine threw a bunch of race series into chaos this year. Lots of cancelled races, and motoamerica couldn't have spectators on it's first year at the Ridge(which actually helped bring a few more teams to the last race). Fastest bikes are the CRF150s, with the 85cc 2-strokes just behind them, then ttrs, 65s, groms, pitbikes, xr100s etc. The grom might be fun to try in a minimoto sprint race, or find a few dudes and field an endurance team after wiring up and putting sliders on the grom.

Our team runs 17" wheels with a fuckoff huge brake that came standard on much larger 450 sumos and 650 pegasos. It's not bad once you get used to it, but it's an instant endo button.

Peep that prototype caliper adapter

Shoot the same corner on a tripod 30 times, then import the good shots to after effects and spend hours tracking, cropping, and syncing. I set up for another one at Mac track, gonna try to make it a seamless loop which'll push the limits of my after effects talents.

Oh so it's not the camera following the motion, but rather just motion added in post, that explains it. I was wondering how you could get such consistent motion and tracking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The camera is still panning, he's just stabilizing it in after effects while cropping the shot a bit so that you can't see the border jumping around.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah exactly. I didn't lock down my tilt so it got cropped pretty tight, and I had to junk a few otherwise good clips because my framing got too close to the crop marks.

E: quick bts to show how much the frame is actually dancing around.

https://streamable.com/i0x4ui

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 18, 2020

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Ah right, gotcha. When I first saw it I was wondering if you used some kind of motion rig, but getting the riders to be consistent enough for that seemed improbable.
Thanks for the breakdown!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/6GmLvOI.mp4

I'm the little angled flat ground onto the bottom of the hitch assembly

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6GmLvOI.mp4

I'm the little angled flat ground onto the bottom of the hitch assembly rear tire

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: idk wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

No lack of truck will stop me from living my life to the brapest