Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The late 90s were a fantastic time for motorcycle design. That's when the Aprilia Moto 6.5 was around :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I hate vrods for a variety of reasons

You can't be Slavvy in a thread and say this phrase and not say what the reasons are

I did test a vrod once and I didn't hate it, but I was coming off the sportster 48 where the seat somehow put pressure directly on my dirt button. At that exact point in time, a list of motorcycles that I would enjoy would have included my childhood tricycle with a cordless drill duct-taped to the wheel hub, so long as there was a pillow on the seat

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Those supermoto jumps look so sweet. Is that a motorcycle specific park?

Adams Motosports Park, around an hour from LA. I thought it was only karts and small bikes (max of 450cc) but it looks like they're doing some time attack and drifting events for cars now. The photos are from socal supermoto, pretty cheap class (<$300) that includes the use of their leathers + gear plus DRZs. I've only been once but two of my buddies and I have gift certificates to go again, it's just hard to find a time where all three of us can be gone all day on the same day.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The late 90s were a fantastic time for motorcycle design. That's when the Aprilia Moto 6.5 was around :allears:

Counterpoint:

Presumably some Bavarian market research company told them "Listen you've got a lock on *one* section of the dentist demographic, but Harley take all the others" and this was the result.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Counterpoint:

Presumably some Bavarian market research company told them "Listen you've got a lock on *one* section of the dentist demographic, but Harley take all the others" and this was the result.

The back looks like it really wanted to be a trike but just never got the third wheel.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

“Your bike looks like a two-wheeled trike” is a pretty sick burn.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

You can't be Slavvy in a thread and say this phrase and not say what the reasons are

I did test a vrod once and I didn't hate it, but I was coming off the sportster 48 where the seat somehow put pressure directly on my dirt button. At that exact point in time, a list of motorcycles that I would enjoy would have included my childhood tricycle with a cordless drill duct-taped to the wheel hub, so long as there was a pillow on the seat

I tried a few different ways of doing this and decided there's just too much trauma to unpack, too much blood and pain and substance abuse so instead, here's an anecdote that happened to a friend, as I watched, two days ago:

The world's worst vrod, meaning one of thousands, replete with home built drag pipe, ridiculous narrow tall t-bars, sprayed black to look like a nightrod (factory black vrod yes it's dumb), turns up with a worn out rear disc.

He began by attempting removal of the wheel, wherein it immediately became clear someone had rammed a significantly wider wheel from a later model in there, with a ball bearing inner race crudely 'machined' down as a wheel spacer. I know now the vrod swingarm can accommodate approx 25mm lateral splay without any visible problems; a prybar was needed to remove/fit the wheel.

Disc removed, new one fitted with blue loctite on the threads with correct torque, wheel levered back into place. He spun the wheel and whoops - the disc screws now impinge on the swingarm, owing to the part being for a narrow wheel like the bike is meant to have.

Then when attempting to remove the screws that had been in the wheel for all of ten minutes, two refused to come out with normal measures and one broke three torx bits including a brand new snap-on and had to be destroyed. The correct disc is unavailable.

Every step of this process was bog standard vrod stuff. None of it has to do with the machine itself though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So what you're saying is the worst thing about the vrod is its owners?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The best V-Rod is the Street Rod, since it was the only one with mid mounted pegs. It was only offered 2 out of the 16 years of V-Rods.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tranten posted:

:drat:

In the same vein as “your shirt look like a dishrag”

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I saw a video the other day where a guy rides a harley for the first time in his life, and the bike proceeds to melt his right boot. His companion tells him "oh yeah that's a harley thing, you need to place your feet accordingly, not like on other bikes". What?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Posting this bike is violence.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This

looks way better than this

But neither look good. At least the bmw has some artsy style going for it, while the HD is just an awkward lump of blah. The HD does get the bone line thing right, I'll admit.

edit: I think the HD could be fixed by adding a traditional round headlight. And maybe less silver/chrome. Nothing can fix the BMW.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Black Vrods look nice.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
vrod night special is the only harley id consider owning

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I think they do look excellent from the sides and back, from the front, the headlight is a bit... not as mean as I was expecting.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
not even James Bond + Michelle Yeoh could make the R1200C look cool

and the touring package just made it worse

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It's not any uglier than any of the umpteen adv bikes out there. I say that as a Vstrom owner.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maybe I'm just a broke brained idiot, but I've always loved the Guzzi V7, and now it's got an 65hp 850 and looks like this for 2021 and omg I want it.

The original chrome finish Racer looked amazing, but clipons are kinda dumb on that kind of bike. It only took 12-13 years but I think they finally nailed it with the new Special.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our shop has one of these right now, sadly. We call it the Buick. If you need to remove the air box you have to remove the swingarm and subframe.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

tranten posted:

I am taking credit for this title change, even though I didn't mean it as an insult, more like a factual observation.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

Maybe I'm just a broke brained idiot, but I've always loved the Guzzi V7, and now it's got an 65hp 850 and looks like this for 2021 and omg I want it.

The original chrome finish Racer looked amazing, but clipons are kinda dumb on that kind of bike. It only took 12-13 years but I think they finally nailed it with the new Special.

Everyone loves the look of a guzzi, without exception. But what happens if it falls over even once?!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

Everyone loves the look of a guzzi, without exception. But what happens if it falls over even once?!

You spenda de money, yes?

(my understanding is the valve covers are like a BMW boxer - robust enough to rest on or take a light knock, and replacable/sacrificial in bigger crashes)

(edit 2 - I guess I'm mistaken vvv)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 24, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

TBH of all the many issues with Guzzis that's one of the least worrying - those engines are big lumps of pig iron and at worst you'll have to bend the cooling fins straight again. They don't even have sacrificial rocker/cam covers like boxer BMWs because of the v angle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think this little nose is the bit that's designed to scrape/take dings in a drop.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was thinking that too, but it still seemed like it would damage the engine. I don't need to start seeing guzzis as a viable motorcycle. That one looks especially good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I think this little nose is the bit that's designed to scrape/take dings in a drop.

If a bike needs a sodding crumple zone, it's not a bike worth having.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

No way that holds up. That cylinder is toast if it tips.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Just don't drop it? :shrug: I guess you could put crash bars and bobbins and poo poo on it if you're really worried.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

That's a cover for the spark plug.

Stupid design. Not like these run long enough or get ridden anyway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah, well, when I get $10k or whatever they're gonna go for in Canada to spend on a bike, I'm gonna get one, and I'm gonna ride it, and post pictures, and have fun, and then all y'all gonna be sorry!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Go for it. Mile that fucker to its death. Post your findings as you do.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There's always the off chance that if you get the km's high enough, the manufacturer will buy it back to study.
Competing for odometer high score is a worthy and noble goal that everyone should aspire to.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm gonna have all the old men coming up to me at gas stations and all the sexually ambiguous hipster dudes wanting to talk to me about my cool fuckin bike and you'll all be like "please forgive us Finger Prince, we were so wrong, Moto Guzzis are cool and I wish I was cool enough to own one like you, but alas I'm stuck riding this Vstrom or Versys or whatever practical, reliable bike that I never even look at when I get off and walk away."

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
LOL It is not a Honda.

I'm hardly the voice of reason here..

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

No way that holds up. That cylinder is toast if it tips.

It's a >15kg lump of iron and you think dropping it two feet is enough to do anything other than the tiniest amount of cosmetic damage?

Steakandchips posted:

...what do you think R&G have been making for like 40 years now?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Finger Prince posted:

I'm gonna have all the old men coming up to me at gas stations and all the sexually ambiguous hipster dudes wanting to talk to me about my cool fuckin bike and you'll all be like "please forgive us Finger Prince, we were so wrong, Moto Guzzis are cool and I wish I was cool enough to own one like you, but alas I'm stuck riding this Vstrom or Versys or whatever practical, reliable bike that I never even look at when I get off and walk away."

My comments were meant as a full encouragement in getting a 'Guzzi. The more interesting bikes on the road the better. Hell, I still want a MV Augusta Brutale 1000 RR and there is not a chance in hell that thing doesn't blow up or burn down in spectacular fashion. If it even starts.

Edit: Oh dear, this is new: https://www.mvagusta.com/bespoke

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

busalover posted:

I saw a video the other day where a guy rides a harley for the first time in his life, and the bike proceeds to melt his right boot. His companion tells him "oh yeah that's a harley thing, you need to place your feet accordingly, not like on other bikes". What?

Morons + lies like usual. Almost certainly due to dumbass pipe+peg combination, or lean running, or usually both.

Coydog posted:

This

looks way better than this

But neither look good. At least the bmw has some artsy style going for it, while the HD is just an awkward lump of blah. The HD does get the bone line thing right, I'll admit.

edit: I think the HD could be fixed by adding a traditional round headlight. And maybe less silver/chrome. Nothing can fix the BMW.

Seek help, your eyes and brain are both faulty.

Finger Prince posted:

Fun fact: when you brake moderately hard on these, your left shin crashes into the back of the cylinder, it is excruciating. There is also no room for your feet if it's one of the ones with the more central controls, there is also nowhere for your knees to grip the bike, hence the shin shattering.

They are also horrible pieces of poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a >15kg lump of iron and you think dropping it two feet is enough to do anything other than the tiniest amount of cosmetic damage?

Lmao no, they very much do get completely hosed by a driveway drop. It isn't a Honda, they did not think things through or protect the head adequately. R&G make damage mitigation devices but the bikes aren't all equally fragile to start with; you can push a Fireblade over and ride away.

cursedshitbox posted:

Go for it. Mile that fucker to its death. Post your findings as you do.

So one service interval, then?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 24, 2021

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There is actually a Guzzi dealer here in town - more than can be said for Ducati or BMW - and they seem to sell a decent number of bikes. I'm 99.999% certain they stay in business because of their shop, because they're drat near giving the bikes away.

Guzzi makes some good looking bikes, though. The V7 is classic, and the Eldorado is a looker too:

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ugly plastic tat, the equivalent of a safety blanket but for motorbikes.