Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cb_Tm4EptN7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Need this in my life. Ride down to the river, go fishing. It's perfect.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

Need this in my life. Ride down to the river, go fishing. It's perfect.

You have a Goldwing and a jetski, get to work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I made a whitworth fastener joke over the weekend to a mechanical engineer and he didnt get it and now I dont know what to believe

Engineers are rarely familiar with the products of their crimes or how they look irl

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Bally Jerry pranged my bike, right in the transom scuppers.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am not necessarily a thief

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You got owned by that k1600 though, if anything you're a victim of pride theft

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

haha that's not me, although I have nothing to be proud of that day :smith:

It might not be obvious from the picture, but that's a fully-dressed police bagger (with a baton and [empty] gun holster), with an actual cop riding it. The juxtaposition with a guy riding foot-down supermoto style amused me

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Double posting. Here's me, actually. Same corner. This was my first track day since October, and I shamefully have hardly ridden since then. I changed out the Dunlop GPR-300 for Bridgestone RS10, as well as put on rear sets. My front brake pads were low so I put in EBC sintered, why not.

I rented a truck at 10PM, loaded up my bike, picked up my friend at around midnight, got to the track at 4AM, and had the worst 2hr "light rest" of my life. My GoPro took a poo poo on me, and stopped recording after around 8 minutes, so I only managed to capture one actual lap. It was 2:30, which is slower than I was hoping for, but about 6 seconds faster than what I was averaging there a year ago, so I guess that's something (for reference, R3 race bike would lap around 2min). I feel like I put in a few laps faster than that once I got back in the groove at the end of the day, but who knows. However, I now officially have chicken strips. Before I could blame my pegs, but now I'm just a sissy. In my defense this is track is both fast and a fairly technical. I feel like if I had a few more days I could get the hang of it, but ugh, it's just so far away (250mi/400km). New tires plus the rear sets makes a huge difference. I need to reset my expectations, because more than a few times I found myself running wide only to realize I can in fact lean more. In my mind I was worried I would be leaned over more and going faster than what was intended and the suspension would poo poo the bed, but this track has at least 2 pretty nasty bumps, and it held up just fine, so it's still definitely me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh that's fucken rad then, as are your leathers!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

haha that's not me, although I have nothing to be proud of that day :smith:

It might not be obvious from the picture, but that's a fully-dressed police bagger (with a baton and [empty] gun holster), with an actual cop riding it. The juxtaposition with a guy riding foot-down supermoto style amused me

fwiw they're dangling their foot completely wrong.

Also hell yeah awesome, do more trackdays.

grab some cones from amazon or whatever, do parkinglot drills to do some skill building. work on body position, balance, and get acquainted with leaning the poo poo out of your bike at low speeds.
You'll be surprised at what your bike can do.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I didn't think BMW made a cop version of the K1600 - they only show the RT1250-P on their website. Wonder where the fuzz got that conversion done

e: actually I think that is an RT1250-P but the headlights look different than what BMW shows on their own site

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 20, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah its the 1250. You can see the twin headers below the crashbars.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

cursedshitbox posted:

fwiw they're dangling their foot completely wrong.

Also hell yeah awesome, do more trackdays.

grab some cones from amazon or whatever, do parkinglot drills to do some skill building. work on body position, balance, and get acquainted with leaning the poo poo out of your bike at low speeds.
You'll be surprised at what your bike can do.

Got any suggestions for parking lot drills? I need to ride my bike way more than I do-- which is currently a few track days a year.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some of what you did in MSF.

Circles and then figure 8s, slow as you can go, and increasingly tighter in the turns as you get used to them. Invert your direction every now and then! You can scrub tires down pretty good just with this alone. Low speed? push the bike down under you, not move yourself inward relative to the turn, this work is too slow for that.
Slow-race. Go as slow as possible in a straight line without putting your foot down. Bonus if you can get your speedometer to read fuckall. Rear brake can be dragged here, use your clutch, and engine rpms. Use the brake and clutch to modulate your speed. You *can* use the front brake too, just don't start there. Your clutch won't care that its being put to work.
Brake work. Get up to a speed, 30 ish, and brake as hard as possible without crashing. Use a cone to determine where braking zones start. work to shorten the distance that you can stop. This is also good stoppie practice. If you get rear wheel chatter, lighten up on its brake or scoot back on the seat more. Support yourself with your legs and core, try not to weight the bars under heavy braking. Scoooot back on the seat. This is also a good exercise for rapid downshifts while properly revmatching.
Later on when you're good with the above, use your rear brake if your bike has switchable abs or none at all, to turn around cones using a locked rear wheel. This involves weighting pegs and leaning your body position in to the direction you want the bike to go. Best done with a tired tire but 15 mins of practice won't hurt a fresh set unless its a super soft compound.

Do this seated, standing, whatever. Move yourself around on the bike, this is a must.
Bonus: stretch yourself before doing drills. Maybe spend 5 minutes doing some one-foot balance work.
You're primarily working on low speed balance and smooth precise control between you and the motorcycle.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 21, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Got any suggestions for parking lot drills? I need to ride my bike way more than I do-- which is currently a few track days a year.

This YouTube channel has lots of great demo videos/instructions

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC0dZgVosHtvUsH74yJXQ1B0ge-C1Rzp1

He also has track day specific stuff too.

The number one thing you have to practice consistently is emergency braking imo(even just a handful of stops). I do this every time I go out to ride.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There was a fire up there.

Those are the Nokhu Crags.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
v nice.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My dad met this guy this week:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

those racks are sick and I’ve been thinking about getting one for awhile. having my ebike along while moto camping would rule

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

My dad met this guy this week:

Holy poo poo I need this

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Those Maxxis have more tread than the moto tires.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
fully plan on getting one of those racks when i dig my poo poo outta storage. They're fuckin baller.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That's ingenious. It looks super sketchy at first I see no reason that wouldn't work fine if I understand it correctly from those pictures.
I assume it's just an adapter that fits on a normal luggage rack? I had to look up local legality and as I understand it it's fine as long as the rearmost part of the protruding load is clearly marked with a little flag or something and total vehicle length is less than 24 meters. Lol. If I loaded my rear heavy commuter e-bike on my little honda like that it would probably become a wheelie machine, but with an added wheelie bar so that's no problem :)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Invalido posted:

That's ingenious. It looks super sketchy at first I see no reason that wouldn't work fine if I understand it correctly from those pictures.
I assume it's just an adapter that fits on a normal luggage rack? I had to look up local legality and as I understand it it's fine as long as the rearmost part of the protruding load is clearly marked with a little flag or something and total vehicle length is less than 24 meters. Lol. If I loaded my rear heavy commuter e-bike on my little honda like that it would probably become a wheelie machine, but with an added wheelie bar so that's no problem :)

bingo. they have photos of a mtb on a tw lol

dema
Aug 13, 2006

right arm posted:

those racks are sick and I’ve been thinking about getting one for awhile. having my ebike along while moto camping would rule

eBike might be a little heavy. But, I have a friend who does this all the time with a lighter mtb on his Africa Twin.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dema posted:

eBike might be a little heavy. But, I have a friend who does this all the time with a lighter mtb on his Africa Twin.

I’ve put 40 beers in my top box before so I think if I pull my battery I should be fine since the bike itself isn’t too terribly heavy :D

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I hope he wears the motor bike gear once he gets somewhere and rides the pedal bike

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Dog Case posted:

I hope he wears the motor bike gear once he gets somewhere and rides the pedal bike

Lol

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My girlfriend and I's obsession with videos of Indian factories led us to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojVsXB12zC8

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Spotted at a bike meetup today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

sorry buddy, but its gonna let you down like a KTM

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Carteret posted:

sorry buddy, but its gonna let you down like a KTM

Yeah no kidding. If they wanted the Astley of bikes they should have bought a Honda

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

Spotted at a bike meetup today

Confusing cause that is clearly a ktm with all the orange excised

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

You can take the bike out of the orange, but you can't take the orange out of the bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Austrian bike cosplaying as a Swede

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0V-ct_sdZs

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

From the thumbnail and title of this video, I never could have guessed this man looks the way he does. That said, after seeing him, I could have guessed that halfway through the video he'd suddenly start some light birdwatching.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ngl I like his projects but that guy gives me mad creepy uncle vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Love the center stand. So much attention to detail in this build.