Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's one of the prettiest bikes ever made. I will not be taking questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's a nice Harley. Looks badass without cases and rear seat

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

LimaBiker posted:

I went like "Whaaaaaaa?!!" when i encountered this one. I thought they only existed in pictures, with one or two in a museum somewhere.

They look much better IRL than expected. The first time in my whole life i've seen one of these.

Parts must be absolutely impossible to source for that. Especially something like the radiator.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can’t get parts for a 2023 Aprilia so I imagine it’s impossible. Really cool “what designers in the past thought bikes will look like in the future” vibe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's interesting how the fifties/sixties rocket/jet age future style has aged really well, and to some extent so has the eighties robots + lasers future style, but the nineties and early 00's 'the future is made of brushed alloy and injection molded plastic' continues to be mostly revolting

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

I went and saw a big rusty bucket.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

hey cool. is that drag line bucket for coal or iron ore. cant really tell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

It's interesting how the fifties/sixties rocket/jet age future style has aged really well, and to some extent so has the eighties robots + lasers future style, but the nineties and early 00's 'the future is made of brushed alloy and injection molded plastic' continues to be mostly revolting

it absolutely is not. there are lovely examples of industrial design from the 90s/00s (and horrible ones too, just as in every other era) and until now it was simply too recent to have a cycle of retro appreciation.

but it's coming back as we speak. the college-aged kids these days, who were born in those years, loving love it, and you're going to see it more and more as their tastes come to define what's cool.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

but it's coming back as we speak. the college-aged kids these days, who were born in those years, loving love it, and you're going to see it more and more as their tastes come to define what's cool.

I've been seeing a lot of bucket hats the past year, so yeah, the 90s are coming back

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my students are showing up to class with boot cut jeans and frosted tips and clear acrylic sunglasses and discmans and 3-megapixel digital point-and-shoots. it's absolutely back and they love all the accoutrements of that era.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair, some of the nice early digital cameras that shoot raw take so long to write to their CF cards (lmao) that it’s like shooting film. It forces you to think about composition rather than holding down the shutter button and assuming one of the shots will be good.

I have an old Nikon for that exact reason.

The kids aren’t all wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I talked to one of my students about it -- he had a little canon digital elph -- and he said the appeal was

1) there aren't a million modes and filters and emojis and tiktoks and poo poo to mess around with -- you just point and shoot and that's the picture

2) using a little digital camera feels less invasive than pointing your phone at someone (neat how these cultural connotations change, isn't it)

3) using a purpose-built device keeps you in the moment rather than getting distracted by your notifications whenever you pull your phone out

4) they really like the look of low res noisy digital images. I don't quite get it but it's a style that it appeals to them, so whatever

It's bizarre but I get it

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

yummycheese posted:

hey cool. is that drag line bucket for coal or iron ore. cant really tell

Coal. It’s Big Muskies. 500 mile round trip. I really should get a more comfy seat.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

I went and saw a big rusty bucket.

Looks like a big rusty toilet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

4) they really like the look of low res noisy digital images. I don't quite get it but it's a style that it appeals to them, so whatever

It's bizarre but I get it

Same reason we like warm film photos with lots of noise and bad contrast.

Its what we grew up with.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So uh what is this big wheel trend I've never heard of

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

About $2000 for a tyre

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Looks like a chopper ie a bike made to look cool, not ride or feel good

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

it looks like it's made out of that chromed plastic they use for wal-mart hubcaps

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

I love watching these guys wobble through intersections when they turn right or left.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Looks like a chopper ie a bike made to look cool, not ride or feel good

Technically, it is a low rider/big wheel bagger and explicitly NOT a chopper, which by definition has a fairly normal sized wheel but with a preposterously long fork. I have seen grown men have a heated argument about this.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What's with that fender/fairing combo, why hasn't anyone said anything :stonkhat:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

2 degrees of lean!

Also looks like the rotor is about the same size as on my mountain bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think that’s actually a fairly large rotor it’s just that the front wheel is comically large.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Appears to be a ~300mm rotor yeah

TotalLossBrain posted:

What's with that fender/fairing combo, why hasn't anyone said anything :stonkhat:

It goes everywhere on a trailer/at walking speed

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:supaburn:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
It reminds me of those complicated cakes you see in competition shows that are mostly fondant. It's an entirely aesthetic pursuit, which I can appreciate on those terms. But if I want to actually eat a cake, just give me something sweet and fluffy with messy icing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ax-9yJs78Y`

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

That was so much better than if it had actually landed it

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Remy Marathe posted:

That was so much better than if it had actually landed it

Best possible outcome.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Saw this parked at work today

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Took yesterday off and decided to add my bike to the 'In Front of Deception Pass' club.

Headed up 9 from Bellevue, cut across 20, down through Whidbey Island to the Mukilteo Ferry, then blasted back down 405 because I was late.

9 south of Arlington is pretty boring, but it's a nice road north of that. 20/525 was boring heading west but a nice road once it turns south down the island.

I literally drove into the ferry parking lot and right on the boat as it was about to leave, so no pics of that, instead have photos of pulling away from the dock and the other motorcycle that snuck on last second with me.

Turns out Harley of all people have the most functional free trip planner? With some random stops it took me about 7 hours. By far the most riding I've done in a single day, it was a really good time.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

Saw this parked at work today
I love it, it looks like my neighbor's "Ypan"!

Seriously though I've never seen one so new/clean. Hope you give the owner some light-hearted grief about putting it in the motorcycle parking.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BabelFish posted:

Took yesterday off and decided to add my bike to the 'In Front of Deception Pass' club.

Headed up 9 from Bellevue, cut across 20, down through Whidbey Island to the Mukilteo Ferry, then blasted back down 405 because I was late.

9 south of Arlington is pretty boring, but it's a nice road north of that. 20/525 was boring heading west but a nice road once it turns south down the island.

I literally drove into the ferry parking lot and right on the boat as it was about to leave, so no pics of that, instead have photos of pulling away from the dock and the other motorcycle that snuck on last second with me.

Turns out Harley of all people have the most functional free trip planner? With some random stops it took me about 7 hours. By far the most riding I've done in a single day, it was a really good time.

That looks like a nice route. So this was planned in the Harley app? Or just tracked and recorded?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

BabelFish posted:

Bunch of damned tourists, get off my lawn bridge

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hey I got my own deception pass pic and it's technically a cycle pic so....
I had to dig for a while, this is from 2014

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

That looks like a nice route. So this was planned in the Harley app? Or just tracked and recorded?

Just re-created so I could share/remember it, route itself was kind of organic. I’d been wanting to ride up 9 after seeing part of it in a car. By the time I was done with a lunch stop I was close to 20 and that seemed way more interesting than turning around or going back down 5.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ulf posted:

I love it, it looks like my neighbor's "Ypan"!

Seriously though I've never seen one so new/clean. Hope you give the owner some light-hearted grief about putting it in the motorcycle parking.

I have no idea who owns it, just saw it when walking out. There's hundreds of people across a few buildings. It definitely looks well maintained though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BabelFish posted:

Just re-created so I could share/remember it, route itself was kind of organic. I’d been wanting to ride up 9 after seeing part of it in a car. By the time I was done with a lunch stop I was close to 20 and that seemed way more interesting than turning around or going back down 5.

I'm wondering if you can drag your finger on the map and draw yourself a route to follow. It's what makes some motorcycle riding apps so special, and impossible to do on Google maps.