Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Directed by: Jake West
Starring: Emily Booth, Jamie Honeybourne, Jodie Shaw

Evil Aliens is a British film that opened in March in the UK but opened this weekend in select theaters in the US. I went to see it at a midnight screening last night in Minneapolis. Standing in front of the theater were three people dressed up like aliens and time-travelers trying to wrangle people into seeing the film and giving away free little alien figures.

For the movie itself, think of a sci-fi Shaun of the Dead but with ten times as much gore.

Michelle Fox [Emily Booth] is the host of a tabloid alien news program and as she and her crew come up with the best possible story [woman pregnant with alien baby], the story comes to life as aliens invade the planet and dismember, behead and impale anyone who gets in their path. It's a classic battle between humans and aliens with horrifying images and hilarious dialogue. I counted over 10 movie references in the whole thing.

It's more silly than scary. Who could pass up the perfect gag of an alien actually slipping on a banana peel complete with a cartoony sound effect? What about fighting an alien with deer antlers, the scene being shot Evil-Dead style? And how about a wheat thresher scene that rivals Peter Jackson's lawnmower sequence in "Dead Alive" without a doubt? Oh and the opening sequence? Wonderfully stomach churning. Who knew aliens really probed people?

Almost every character is hilariously stereotyped [the slut, the gay guy, the nerd] and the three inbred brothers are priceless. Jamie Honeybourne is laughable as Gavin Gorman, the whiny diehard UFO enthusiast.

If you are into excessive gore and quirky-shot scenes with groanable dialogue by characters that just look like they are having fun [like me], you'll love this movie. Everyone else would probably never want to watch it again.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Gallons upon gallons of blood and gore, hilariously stereotypical characters
CONS: Took about a half hour to get the movie underway, a "who's" when it should be "whose" in a subtitle [I notice those things]

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383353/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU