Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
Directed by: Ronny Yu
Starring: Jet Li

Fearless tells the story of Huo Yuan Jia, a Chinese martial artist (played by Jet Li) in the early 1900's who used Wushu to show China's strength at a time when China's power was being questioned by the West due to infighting amongst the Chinese.

This movie was a huge dissapointment after Jet Li's last movie, Unleashed (Danny the Dog). The concept of Fearless was excellent, much like Unleashed, in my opinion, however, it was extremely poorly executed. Fearless felt like it had several directors and several choreographers working on the movie who had never met each other. Huo Yuan Jia is often shown in two diametrically opposing lights, and not in a way that shows the character's depth, but more in a way that confuses the viewer. For example, the first scene when we see Jet Li as a young man shows him to be a loving father playing with his daughter, but about 5 minutes later he's shown that he's an extremely negligent dad. Additionally, so many different things happened, I felt as if they had put together 6 or 7 different Kung Fu movies all into one. While the movie was only an hour and 40 minutes, it felt more like two and a half hours because SO many extranneous events occurred. After watching the movie, I read the Wikipedia artcile on the real Huo Yuan Jia and it occurred to me that if they had left out all of the added twists to his life, the movie would have been MUCH better.

Seeing as this was a Kung Fu movie, however, bad plots are often expected, and so what really matters is how good the fight scenes are. Many of them were excellent, with several weapons fights and appropriately placed comedic moments, like when Tanaka hits himself on the head with a 3-piece staff after he and Jet Li exchange weapons in a fight. However, there were several fight scenes that just didn't fit. There were inconsistant uses of Wire-Fu; most fight scenes had no visible Wire Fu (as in the martial arts would do flips that were probably aided by wires, but no flying through the air on treetops), but a couple fight scenes had blatant Wire Fu. Furthermore, some of the fight scenes were sped up unrealistically, and it just started to look silly.

I was very dissapointed by this and felt it could have been so much better. I would skip this in theaters, and maybe rent it for a few of the really awesome fight scenes.

RATING: 2.0

PROS: A few great fight scenes
CONS: Movie felt like it was mashed together from too many different things

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446059/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
I liked it, and was honestly stunned when I played it to a couple of friends and they refused to watch the rest at the 3/4 mark. I agree it's nothing ground-breaking when it comes to storyline, acting, martial arts, well basically everything but it's still very entertaining and I'd definitely recommend it due to the sheer volume and intensity of the fight scenes.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I was dissapointed. This movie was very slow, the characters weren't believable, and the fights (which were few and far between) were subpar. Unfortunate, since I love Jet Li's Once Upon a Time in China series and was hoping for basically a new entry in that style.

2/5

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Fearless is to me a completely average HK wire-fu non-wuxia movie, which was really disappointing - I expectd a lot more for Jet Li's last movie.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

ZerodotJander posted:

Fearless is to me a completely average HK wire-fu non-wuxia movie, which was really disappointing - I expectd a lot more for Jet Li's last movie.

Actually, contrary to popular belief...Fearless isn't Jet Li's last movie. Rather, its his last "martial arts epic". Whatever the hell that means.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Fearless is Li's last wuxia movie (the technical name for "wire-fu" movies I've been told).

Fitret posted:

Huo Yuan Jia is often shown in two diametrically opposing lights, and not in a way that shows the character's depth, but more in a way that confuses the viewer. For example, the first scene when we see Jet Li as a young man shows him to be a loving father playing with his daughter, but about 5 minutes later he's shown that he's an extremely negligent dad.
I felt this part attempted to show HYJ's humanity, that he enjoyed the good things, but ignored what he didn't like. He was arrogant and ignorant. After his family is killed the movie is pretty much his realization that his life up to that point was lived and fought in vain, that he didn't understand his father's teachings, and that he was dishonoring his family name. I felt that the movie, which was all about that redemption motif, played it out well.

I thought it was a good movie overall, but parts of it smacked of propaganda. Granted, in the context of time, HYJ wanted to show the West a more united China, I can't help feeling that patriotic parts were played up a bit too much. Of course, I'm quick to point that out in American film too, so who knows.

3.5/5

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 14, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

"You can't live on hopes and dreams alone."
Fearless was a big let down for me.

I felt like the whole thing felt too scripted and was cheesy. The fights weren't anything great, the acting was decent (though Jets voice was a bit disturbing)and I was glad about what happened at the end because this movie almost bored me to tears.

All in all I was pretty dissapointed with this movie.

2.0/5