Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
Directed by: Tsukamoto Shinya
Starring: Taguchi Tomorowo, Fujiwara Kei

A simple enough premise, a businessman and a metal fetishist's lives suddenly collide after a hit and run incident. Incredible images, one of these films that used black and white to save money but made tremendous use of it. The movie is deeply unsettling, it's honestly like watching a nightmare. The thumping metallic soundtrack throughout highlights the abbrasive feel of the film and when it ends you really don't know what to think.

It's tough to describe, you could sum the "plot" up in a couple of sentences but still, it's like a car crash in the way that's it so detached and surreal you can't stop watching. The director throws in some obvious homages to Lynch and the movie does indeed have a "film student who's watched Eraserhead too many times" feel to it, but it's not without its own merit, especially with its miniscule budget. If you like surreal and violent black and white movies that make you want to go outside and breath in fresh air to stop you killing yourself, then this is probably the movie for you! Either way, I suggest you RENT it first.

RATING: 4

PROS: Fantastic imagery
CONS: Tries a bit too hard

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096251/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The visuals in this film are so stunning, you swear they must be CGI or something because if they aren't, the amount of time to produce some of the shots must be astounding. Many people cannot sit through this movie because it is so graphically intense.

The acting is great, as well as the soundtrack.

5.5/5

Wickedcapedkid
Oct 7, 2002

Bam!
Saw this about a year ago. Err...can't say I thought it was fantastic. Although I did like a movie with a similar theme to it - 964 Pinocchio, but that's for another review.

This movie is very...random, well at least the first time you watch it. It unfolds much like one of the nightmares you may have had as a small child with lots of loud noise and screaming. There's mutiny left and right, rocket skates, a metal drill penis, and dragon ball z-ish fights. No, I am not joking. It's all there and in pretty poor quality. Altogether it's actually a pretty ugly movie...but that's sort of what makes half of it slightly enjoyable.

If possible I'd give this a 2.75 / 5, but I'll just settle on this.

3 / 5

Wickedcapedkid fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 13, 2006

Ayato
Jul 26, 2005

what
Incredible, and Shinya Tsukamoto's most raw film. If you are a fan of Lynch or Cronenberg this is definitely up your alley. Tokyo Fist is his best though, so make sure to check that out if you enjoy Tetsuo.

5/5

Bi Barbarian
Dec 9, 2003

quack quack
/\/\/\ Nice avatar.

This is one of the most hosed up movies I've ever seen. Very, very strong eraserhead feel to it; incomprehensible, black and white, gritty, and vaguely (hell, powerfully) disquieting.

I had no idea what was going on through most of the movie, but that's because I tried to read way, way too deep into it. Take the movie for what it is and don't try to read a deep, sociological plot into it.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Tetsuo is a bit challenging to watch, but the way the film cuts together and moves just makes it completely different even from other experimental films. Considering it also shares the same story as Akira it allows you to appreciate it from a totally different perspective while still understanding what's going on.

5.5/5 Just for the metal bar going across the teeth.

John Ford Coley
Sep 7, 2005

by Garbage Day
I rented this a few weeks ago, and I expected a much more deliberate and slow film. I was pleasently surpised about just how fast and visceral the film really was. I loved the use of stop-motion in it, and the soundtrack made me very unhinged.

I give it a 4/5, and would recommend it to fans of Lynch and people interested in Japanese cinema.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I got it after not having seen it for about 8-10 years. And back then I was high. I pretty much realize why I had those nightmares. This movie is crazy and hosed up. It's definitely an experience. Try it out if you like mindfucks and crazy poo poo and don't mind knowing exactly what is going on. The visuals are good and the black and white adds to the screwed-up-ness of the movie.

4/5

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
If you're going to watch this, you've got to be ready to throw away all traditional notions about standard narrative films. Tetsuo is compared to Cronenberg's Videodrome and Lynch's Eraserhead so often that I believe the three films together form a sort of "mind-gently caress Holy trinity."

Could you argue that Tetsuo's plot is nonsensical and chaotic? Sure. No debate there. I believe this film is closer to seeing vivid performance art / theatre than anything, in fact it, it was produced with a theatre troop. Tetsuo's gritty black and white 16mm cinematography and pounding sound design create an industrial and post apocalyptic atmosphere. If anything, the film is worth watching just for the stop motion animation alone. On a shoe string budget, they created a literal monstrosity.

Let's be clear, though. Tetsuo is an experimental film, but I feel it works. Not everyone will agree, but the important thing is that films like Tetsuo try to push limits. This isn't obnoxious "pushing limits" where the director is saying "this is art, deal with it." This is someone going in a radically different direction and taking a huge risk. I believe the cast and crew made Tetsuo as a sort of passion project. For fellow filmmakers, you may find this inspiring.

Overall, the acting, production design, insane pacing, and stunning visuals all work in unison to deliver a frantic nightmare of a movie. I don't think this movie will easily be forgotten. I thoroughly enjoyed Tetsuo. Watch it when you're ready for something totally different.
5/5

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 15, 2010