Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Origami Dali posted:

I can't believe I've spent this much time talking about Heaven's Gate, of all loving movies.
Why `of all loving movies'? Are we supposed to accept that it's somehow or other not worth discussing because it wasn't commercially successful? I get the feeling that you feel like you've got your back up against the wall because you said something that I disagreed with, and I'm not really pushing on that. I just don't get, or object to, or however you want to say it, the idea of rejecting out of hand any film, even Heaven's Gate of all loving movies, because of the popular opinion of the film, particularly if it's a popular opinion based primarily on fantasy. I'd say it's like the people who dismiss Battleship (2012) because it's based on a board game, but at least saying Battleship is based on a board game has the advantage of being more or less true.

I mean this isn't directed at you specifically, but there seems to be some kind of incredulity that Criterion is releasing the film, along with a bunch of very predictable jokes that are of roughly the same vintage as the film itself. I think this is kinda silly in its own right, but it's particularly silly given that it doesn't have much, if anything, to do with the film itself, rather than popular opinion (and misconceptions) about it.

I'm not raging against the negative opinions of the film---you are of course free to dislike any film you want to---and I'm not trying to champion it as a landmark of filmmaking or anything like that. The whole easy dismissal of the film as a punchline just feels really weak and lazy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Well, my dismissal is because I think Heaven's Gate is a bad film, not because of opinion A or B. It isn't particularly dismal, it's just a bore. And speaking at great length about a film that I personally feel so little towards doesn't strike me as a valuable use of time, yet here I am, hence of all loving films. My questioning the nature of this particular release of the film, however, is precisely because of opinion A or B and not because of my opinion of the quality of the film. I don't feel attacked or anything of the sort, and it's great that you can get jazzed up about it, but I didn't expect an off the cuff remark to turn into a full blown debate.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

ECLIPSE SERIES 37: WHEN HORROR CAME TO SHOCHIKU (4-disc DVD, Nov 20)

• The X From Outer Space (Kazui Nihonmatsu 1967)
• Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell (Hajime Sato 1968)
• The Living Skeleton (Hiroshi Matsuno 1968)
• Genocide (Kazui Nihonmatsu 1968)

Oh, yes! X From Outer Space is such a weird, funky movie. I'm glad it's finally seeing release.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh, yes! X From Outer Space is such a weird, funky movie. I'm glad it's finally seeing release.

I love this release. Was so happy to see this.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
X From Outer Space is what made me finally hook up my old VCR to my HDTV. I've been waiting for a DVD release forever. The fact that it comes with Goke, which I once over a decade ago and have been searching for ever since, is a slam dunk.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I can't remember, but are the November releases included in the B&N Fall Criterion sale? Or, was it just the first half of the month's releases?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Twin Cinema posted:

I can't remember, but are the November releases included in the B&N Fall Criterion sale? Or, was it just the first half of the month's releases?

I think movies that are released the month of the sale get the discount as well, but don't hold me on that. There may be exceptions if the movies come out late in the month.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I take full credit for Rashomon's arrival, since I just bitched about it the other day.

This is the first Eclipse set that I'm 100% interested in, despite my aversion to buying new DVDs instead of blurays. I mean, I'm sure they scale up just fine, but I just get this fear from bad experiences with some of my DVDs…

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Mustach posted:

I take full credit for Rashomon's arrival, since I just bitched about it the other day.

Ever since they toured the new print around select theaters last year I've been dying for Rashomon on blu-ray as well, the restoration work looked incredible.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
As far as I can recall, titles released during the sale are marked down. At the store I go to, anyway.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Dangerous Person posted:

As far as I can recall, titles released during the sale are marked down. At the store I go to, anyway.

Yeah, the more I think about it, I am pretty sure this is the case. Because I was able to get Modern Times during the November '10 sale, but not the BBS boxset (at least, I assume this is why I bought it during a sale the summer after).

I was just hoping that I'd be able to ask for Rashomon/Weekend/the Eclipse Series.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've found this Heaven's Gate discussion interesting and realized that in my head I've been conflating Days of Heaven, Gates of Heaven and Heaven's Gate all into one movie. I really should watch all three of them to remedy this.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zogo posted:

I've found this Heaven's Gate discussion interesting and realized that in my head I've been conflating Days of Heaven, Gates of Heaven and Heaven's Gate all into one movie. I really should watch all three of them to remedy this.
Although Heaven's Gate gets more poo poo than it really deserves, it's by no means a great film. The other two absolutely are.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Twin Cinema posted:

I remember a warning from last year that even though some of the later November titles were initially marked down (Rushmore in particular, which came out the day after the sale ended), they didn't honor the mistake and charged people the full amount. So be careful with preorders if they're marked down. Be careful with box sets too, because B&N shipped my Fanny & Alexander in a thin plastic mailer instead of a box and the coverbox got all dinged up.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

robix smash posted:

Be careful with box sets too, because B&N shipped my Fanny & Alexander in a thin plastic mailer instead of a box and the coverbox got all dinged up.

Criterion's pretty good about replacing packaging. If you send them an e-mail saying your coverbox was damaged in shipping then they'll probably send you a free replacement. I bought a used copy of Bad Timing a while back that didn't have a booklet. I sent them an e-mail and had it by the end of the week.

As much as I love the movies and the product, their customer service is easily what makes them the best DVD company.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

As much as I love the movies and the product, their customer service is easily what makes them the best DVD company.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this here before or not, but I had my basement flooded a couple years back. It was about 8 months afterwards that I thought to email Criterion to see how much it would cost me to buy just the cases & booklets. The next day I got a reply, saying not to worry, they'll send the 5-6 movie cases & booklets out to me no problem.

Zero charge at all including the expedited shipping out to Canada - and this included the already OOP Third Man bluray.

I can't say enough good things about this company, and I'm sure they'd have zero issue replacing your F&A set.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Criterion's customer service is seriously wonderful.

The mail carrier for my building recently changed from one who had common sense to one who is seriously terrible. She left a package from them in front of my door (I live in a large apartment building) and somebody stole it. I emailed their customer service on the offchance they'd replace it and not only did they do so, they saw I live in NYC and resent the items (to my work address this time, I obviously don't trust my current mail carrier anymore) direct from their offices so I'd get them quicker.

I hope the kids who stole my box like Anthony Asquith since that's the stuff I had ordered :mad:

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

robix smash posted:

I remember a warning from last year that even though some of the later November titles were initially marked down (Rushmore in particular, which came out the day after the sale ended), they didn't honor the mistake and charged people the full amount. So be careful with preorders if they're marked down. Be careful with box sets too, because B&N shipped my Fanny & Alexander in a thin plastic mailer instead of a box and the coverbox got all dinged up.

I ordered a few things that were accidentally marked down for the first few hours of the last November sale (Rushmore, Belle de Jour (which released in January), and one other I can't remember) and I was charged the sale price correctly.

Also, I had an Eclipse set damaged in shipping from BN, so I found that title in a local store and went and traded it in for the undamaged set. BN needs to learn how to package things if they don't want to eat the cost of replacing them. As long as you have the packaging slip and the product it shouldn't be a problem at all. I probably wouldn't order just a box set anymore. In the most recent sale I ordered a few box sets on one order (when the b2g1 free stacked) and it all came together in a sturdy box.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

leokitty posted:

I hope the kids who stole my box like Anthony Asquith since that's the stuff I had ordered :mad:

"Awwright, free movies!"
[unwrap]
"...'Jeanne Deal-man'?"

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
I've gotten free cases from them before too, and have gotten check up emails from them as well to make sure everything came properly. The F&A box isn't damaged enough to bother with it really.

zeroordie posted:

I ordered a few things that were accidentally marked down for the first few hours of the last November sale (Rushmore, Belle de Jour (which released in January), and one other I can't remember) and I was charged the sale price correctly.
Well drat, I got jumpy when whoever posted that and cancelled my Rushmore order and had to wait until the last sale to get it.

Got my copy of Tenenbaums in the mail today. :swoon:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm glad to hear they're good like this. I bought a used copy of the Aki Kaurismaki Proletariat Trilogy online a few months ago and when it arrived, it was in pretty rough shape: no slipcase and the copy of Match Factory Girl didn't work (it looks like it'd been stored underwater). But since the rest of the set is fine, I don't really want to buy another copy of the set, so I figured I was out of luck. I'll send them an email and see if I can get a new slipcase.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Joe Der Maus posted:

Even though I love me some Godard, I don't really like Weekend. I was planning on buying it anyway, becuase I find that if I don't like the movie, Criterion's extras are worth the cost, but this release has so few, that it doesn't seem worth it.

I wish they'd release Bande a Part...

Weekend is definitely one of my least favorite Godards though. Down there with like, les carabiniers and tout va bien. I'd say it's my favorite of my least favorites however.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I wish they'd release Bande a Part...
You're in luck! http://www.criterion.com/films/291-band-of-outsiders

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I meant on blu, but I also thought the DVD was out of print? Guess not!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Criterion Cast just posted a link to this on Twitter: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-20/merchant-ivory-sues-janus-films-over-movie-distribution

quote:

Merchant Ivory Productions Ltd., the maker of films such as “A Room With a View,” accused movie distributor Janus Films LLC OF infringing copyrights by distributing films after their licensing deals expired.

Janus, which handles the so-called Criterion Collection, initially was granted rights to 26 Merchant Ivory films in 1999, according to a lawsuit filed today in federal court in Manhattan. The agreements for all of the films except “Howards End” expired by Dec. 31, and Merchant Ivory later learned Janus was still distributing them, according to the complaint.

“Plaintiffs therefore bring this action to protect their copyrights in and to the films being exploited by Janus without plaintiffs’ permission,” Merchant Ivory said in the complaint filed by attorneys Zeynel Karcioglu and Stephen Nakamura.

“Janus denies any unlawful distribution of any Merchant Ivory title,” Jeffrey Ullman, a lawyer for Janus, said in a phone interview. He declined to comment further, saying the company hadn’t been served with the suit.

Not sure what this means really in the long run but I guess you might want to grab Howard's End if you were considering the purchase?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Geez, they should be happy anyone would care to make the Merchant Ivory films available.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Hi everyone! I'm back from (deserved) probation and ready to continue discussing the notion of a "flop" (albeit more civilly).

Origami Dali posted:

Like it or not, that is the popular consensus. I'm not saying that it's therefore ipso facto valid, but Criterion is a company that prides itself on being comprehensive. To treat this consensus as some aberration of oversimplified history that bears no mention is to compromise the analysis. And I do think it's a view that holds some validity (and I never said that the film holds sole responsibility, though I get the impression that you believe that I have). But as you said yourself, any theories about the end of the era are speculative. I think the history bears evidence that the film contributed to the downfall of the auteur model in American cinema and you, apparently, don't. There really isn't much else to say.

Personally I tend to prefer a Jeanine Basinger/Thomas Schatz producer-oriented approach to an auteur approach, so I don't put much faith in auteurism anyway. But when the press overwhelms the actual film, consensus is always an aberration of oversimplified history. Ishtar is a perfect example. Morocco location shooting only happened because Coca-Cola had money there it couldn't repatriate, and lots of its bad press came from its own studio, thanks to David Puttnam, Guy McElwaine's replacement as head of production.

I guess I don't know what you're hoping for here, and where the line between "I don't like the film" and "opinion A and B" is, since you keep switching back and forth with abandon.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
On a whim I watched Black Lizard on the Criterion Hulu channel, and man was it an enjoyably campy romp. Anyone know if there's rumors of a disc release?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Here comes Brazil, apparently.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Ah, poo poo. I just bought the DVD about a year ago. The 25th anniverary came and went and then Universal put out their own Blu-ray version and Criterion stayed silent the whole time so I figured it wasn't going to happen.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I would just assume that Criterion is going to get around to releasing a bluray of every Universal property they have the rights to.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
What's the word on current Wes Anderson movies? The existing Fantastic Mr. Fox blu-ray is fine, but I'm curious as to whether or not it and Moonrise Kingdom will get Criterion releases. I was shocked when Darjeeling Limited did, but then again it never got a blu-ray release at all from Fox Searchlight.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I usually hold off on buying any Wes Anderson movies because Criterion loves him enough that I figure they'll eventually get around to it..

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

The going criterionforum theory is Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi/Naqoyqatsi (caught-C trilogy, geddit?).

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
While that is almost certainly correct, I was really hoping for a triple whammy of Straw Dogs, A Man Escaped, and something else.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

kaujot posted:

While that is almost certainly correct, I was really hoping for a triple whammy of Straw Dogs, A Man Escaped, and something else.

For what it's worth, A Man Escaped is as certain as anything they haven't announced yet, though who knows when.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RichterIX posted:

What's the word on current Wes Anderson movies? The existing Fantastic Mr. Fox blu-ray is fine, but I'm curious as to whether or not it and Moonrise Kingdom will get Criterion releases. I was shocked when Darjeeling Limited did, but then again it never got a blu-ray release at all from Fox Searchlight.

Have they even released any animated films ever? (other than like, Stan Brakhage, or something).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Have they even released any animated films ever? (other than like, Stan Brakhage, or something).

Akira. On Laserdisc.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The going criterionforum theory is Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi/Naqoyqatsi (caught-C trilogy, geddit?).

*fistpump*

I don't usually actively anticipate extras on discs but boy howdy I hope they deliver here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensurround
Feb 6, 2003

This may not be the best place to post this, but would anyone consider trading a blu-ray? I picked up the La Jetée / Sans Soleil set on a whim when trading in a bunch of old DVDs and I enjoyed them but would probably rather have something else in my permanent collection. I'm open minded to almost anything, but already own these: Antichrist, Chungking Express, Dazed & Confused, Fish Tank, Gomorrah, The Great Dictator, Mystery Train, Paris, Texas, Rushmore, & The Thin Red Line.