Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd never bought a Criterion release until I stumbled upon the B&N sale a few days ago. I bought For All Mankind on Blu-ray because I'm a huge space nerd.

:stare: Holy poo poo. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Lucas posted:

please send me a 25% off coupon if you have an extra :) lucaskollauf @ gmail.com

I would also like a coupon if anyone has an extra!

mechmaster6 @ gmail

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I would pay so much money for a Criterion GoodBurger.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
In the time it took to go from My Wishlist to My Cart, Seven Samurai sold out. :negative:

Ended up with Broadcast News, Sanjuro, and Jimi at Monterey blu-rays.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
:siren: The Buy Two Get One sale is over at 02:59 AM ET online and it ended yesterday in store. Those debating between titles should choose quickly. :ohdear:

High & Low, Charade, and The 39 Steps for me. It was very tempting to toss in three more, but I do need money for food.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I drove by B&N on the way home and picked up Seven Samurai and Anatomy of A Murder. gently caress this sale so hard. :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
What's the general opinion on these?

Good Morning
The Lady Vanishes
Night Train to Munich
The Killing
Le cercle rouge
Blow Out
Army of Shadows

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm thinking of getting Solaris

Solaris is fantastic. You'll still be thinking about it a week after you watch it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Got paid today, which means Godzilla, 12 Angry Men, The Lady Vanishes, and Blow Out are on the way from bn.com.

Watched Anatomy of A Murder last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FitFortDanga posted:

apparently Criterion is working on The Man Who Knew Too Much

The original or the remake?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Rob posted:

I am in the mood for a 70's sci fi film so I am trying to decide between Solaris, and World on a Wire.

Solaris. That film will haunt you for days afterward.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm limiting myself to one blu-ray for this sale, and I'm pretty sure I want another Kurosawa. I've already got Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Kagemusha, Seven Samurai, High & Low, and Rashamon. Any suggestions?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, he would only waste four less dollars then.

It's recommend Hari Kari. It has an actor who's in a ton of Kurosawa and its a really interesting political satire.

I'll have to look into that one. Since I have no self control, I ended up with The Samurai Trilogy, The Blob, Three Outlaw Samurai, House, Tokyo Drifter, and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Samurai trilogy has been so much fun, I really don't want to watch Samurai III and bring it all to an end. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Should I get the Eclipse Postwar Kurosawa set or When Horror Came to Shochiku?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
ComicsAlliance has an article about the artwork used in the upcoming Zatoichi set.

And apologies for the shameless plug, but I'm selling my Blow Out and Charade blu-rays in SA Mart if anyone's interested.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is Shoah worth getting? With the sale and that coupon, it would only be $37 after tax. I've been interested in it for a while, but I rarely see anyone talk about it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Any thoughts on Hidden Fortress, Devil's Backbone, and Cronos? I dig GDT's other films, but I've never seen those two.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Red posted:

Cronos is a vampire flick that's also in Spanish (with some English), and I don't think I have much to compare it to. Maybe, in tone, because it's so different (focuses on an older man), you could compare it to an old Twilight Zone episode. Ron Perlman is awesome in it, too.

I like everything about these sentences. I'll probably pick up both of them because I have no self-control.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I would also like to use my coupon on some samurai films, what's a better set: Samurai Trilogy or Yojimbo & Sanjuro?

Haven't seen any of the films, just looking for opinions.

Yojimbo/Sanjuro if you're looking for something you'll watch more than once. Samurai Trilogy is great, but as a historical epic, it can be dense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Any thoughts on Red River, Overlord, or Ace in The Hole?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is it even a children's film?

Well...

...hmm.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I once waited 5 weeks for B&N to ship a single Criterion. In-store is always the better option for them.

Just a reminder that the B&N 50% off Sale ends this coming Monday, the 28th. Final weekend, folks.

My haul this time;

Red River
Stagecoach
Cronos
The Devil's Backbone
Scanners
Sansho the Bailiff
The Hidden Fortress
A Brief History of Time
Ace in The Hole

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

I picked up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set and I already have Seven Samurai. If I love all three of those then can I assume I will also love Hidden Fortress? I don't usually blind-buy Criterions but I haven't been disappointed in a Kurosawa film yet.

Hidden Fortress is fantastic and well worth your $20.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Folks will probably jump on me for this, but being a huge Star Wars fan greatly increased my enjoyment of The Hidden Fortress. The characters and plot were instantly familiar so there wasn't that 10-15 minute period in the beginning where you're still getting into the movie. Toshiro Mifune is great, as always, but the two peasants steal the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've actually never seen a Charlie Chaplin or Harold Lloyd film. What's the general consensus on these?

Safety Last!
The Freshman
Gold Rush
Great Dictator
Modern Times

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

penismightier posted:

All masterpieces but City Lights (which is also Criterion) is the best Chaplin.

This is especially convenient, as my sister just bought it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
When does this sale end? There's usually another around thanksgiving, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If I really liked Tokyo Drifter, would I like Branded to Kill?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've been very satisfied with my blind buys, which probably make up 80% of my Criterions. The only blinds I've hated or were really indifferent to were Blow Out, Broadcast News, and Overlord.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Swagger Dagger posted:

:cry:

I love it so much.

On paper I should have liked it, but I just couldn't get into it. Albert Brooks felt really wasted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

justlikedunkirk posted:

Inside Llewyn Davis was hinted at in the New Years' drawing.

Man, I hope so. The blu-ray I have is extremely bare-bones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Tokyo Drifter is a lot of fun and the theme will be stuck in your head for days.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

I have this set, and highly recommend it to any fan of the genre/film-series.

I'm probably an idiot, but I was on the fence about this until I found out Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo exists. Now it'll be here friday. :shepspends:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
In a strange turn of events, I ended up with an extra Zatoichi complete set. It's still in shrinkwrap, but has two small indentations in the box courtesy of USPS. Anyone interested? Shipped from US, 77059.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My dad actually introduced me to Repo Man years ago. The plain labeled BEER has become a running joke whenever we're shopping.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

morestuff posted:

There's a Criterion Hitchcock set?

It's just a bundle of previous releases. Nothing new.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

RichterIX posted:

Everyone should buy Zatoichi.

I'm rewatching it right now and it's great even the second time, although, uh, HD is not kind to baldcaps in old samurai movies.

Oh man, this. I was a little worried when I bought that set blind, but every movie I've seen so far has been fantastic. Zatoichi might even overtake Yojimbo as my favorite samurai.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I personally would love it if Criterion did a few more "blockbusters". You know for a fact that Criterion is going to spend more time restoring whatever they work on, plus you have incredible features. Inside Llewyn Davis isn't obscure either and the initial blu-ray release was barebones as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I need to watch Seven Samurai. It's been sitting on my shelf since I bought it two years ago, but it's surprisingly hard to find time for a 3 hour movie.