Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hidden Fortress is fantastic, definitely my favorite of the Kurosawas I've seen so far. I also prefer Sanjuro to Yojimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

friendo55 posted:

I still think Ikiru is my favourite Kurosawa, but I'm absolutely in lockstep with this... WATCH HIGH AND LOW

That being said, an interesting discussion on what's the most accessible foreign film to someone brand new and/or hesitant to have to "read" a movie?
For me, I've had the best luck with things like The Raid films, Headhunters, City of God, Oldboy, and Almodovar's The Skin I Live In - fun for watching the person's expressions alone. For lighter options, any Miyazaki film (I'd choose My Neighbor Totoro), Amelie, or one that I'm not a fan of but the rest of the world seems to love - The Intouchables. And for Criterion films specifically, I'd go with Bergman and Wild Strawberries.

....and add me to the 'Lawrence haters. That was a chore to get through, even on blu-ray.

I haven't seen the sequel, but The Raid is an incredible martial arts movie. I'm not squeamish at all, but the way those dudes bust each other up in that film is horrifying. As far as Miyazaki, I can't stand Totoro. I think Porco Rosso or Nausicaa are much stronger films.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Raxivace posted:

Second film is better and has a great climatic fight scene, the third movie isn't bad but is the least interesting of the bunch imo.

Basically this, but the set is still worth buying for 1 & 2 alone. The last duel in 3 is amazing though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Forgot about the $10 credit they gave me, ended up with The Kid, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Don't Look Back.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You had to follow a Facebook link or something of that nature back in November/December IIRC.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anyone have any issues with their orders from that flash sale? I received shipping info and a tracking number but it's been stalled at a facility in Kentucky and so far I'm out $50. Called USPS, who were incredibly unhelpful, and emailed the Criterion help email but that was last week and still no response. Is there some other contact I can use?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I contacted them the other day and they labeled the original shipment as lost and sent a replacement free of charge. Prompt reply, great service.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just got a Hulu account, any suggestions for stuff that hasn't gotten a physical release?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

friendo55 posted:

I was browsing eBay to see if there was any affordable option for the Josef Von Sternberg OOP boxset, and stumbled across this $20 price-tag for a blu-ray of CHUNGKING EXPRESS for anyone interested? I already own it or else I'd be all over this.

I would but the shipping kills it for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've got a sealed Don't Look Back blu-ray and an open Art House Essentials Ikiru DVD I'm looking to trade. Not looking for anything in particular, just something I don't have. Here's my collection: https://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/66898-mech/collection

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Has anyone else had problems with the quality of the discs on the Zatoichi set? So far, of the 3 discs I've gotten around to watching, 3 have issues with skipping and not playing properly. I've never had this issue before with any other Blu-ray I have.

I emailed Criterion, and I asked them just to send me copies of the movies in a normal case or even a CD-jewel case for all I care. I just don't trust the sleeves the discs come in. Or maybe I've been given a lemon. But I'm a creature of psychology, and so I have made the connection that this unique packaging, without strong evidence, is why I've been given a lemon set.

Did they ever get back to you on this? My set is doing the same thing. The second movie is completely unplayable, it always stutters and eventually freezes for good 31 minutes in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I would love to see Hell's Angels get the Criterion treatment.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I sent in the email on Sunday, so I'm not worried. They're not a big company, and so I'm willing to accept that their customer service department might be a little slower than I would prefer. Part of me imagines that there's someone who spends an hour or two every day going through emails before getting back to other work. And I imagine that their email can be filled with variety of legitimate needs and people kvetching about something minor like "I notice that this release isn't as grainy as I like!"

You just got to be patient.

Just curious,did they ever give you an update on your set issues? My email has gone unanswered for nearly three weeks now. :sigh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Raxivace posted:

Bought Ikiru and The Player and blind-bought Ace in the Hole, In a Lonely Place, and The American Friend today. Should be a good time!

How is The Player? I'm trying to stick to ten blu-rays this sale and I was waffling on that one

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The In-Laws
Lady Snowblood
Only Angels Have Wings
To Be or Not To Be
The Manchurian Candidate
Rushmore
The Kennedy Films of...
My Darling Clementine

Everything but Rushmore is a blind buy. My B&N didn't have In A Lonely Place, gonna try to grab that at a different one tomorrow.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Tokyo Drifter might be my favorite Criterion, even more than Yojimbo. The theme will be stuck in your head for weeks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rollersnake posted:

The Golden Age of Television boxset

Not only was I completely unaware that this existed, but it also apparently has Rod Serling's Patterns and Requiem for a Heavyweight. Thanks for making me spend more money, jerk! :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Most of the early stuff is well worth a Blu-Ray rewatch. I can't speak for all of their Studio Ghibli releases, but Porco Rosso is a huge upgrade from my old dvd copy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I thought the Miyazaki set didn't have any special features?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

GrandpaPants posted:

All this talk about good animation and not one mention of Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist starring animated Jacques Tati.

Finally saw this a few weeks ago. It's fantastic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I blind-bought Blow Out, didn't like it, sold it. I've only ever done that with one other Criterion; Charade.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is that box set going to have any supplements the three individual releases don't already have? I really don't want to rebuy two movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Watched Branded to Kill last night. Took me a while to get into it, but I loved the last 30-40 minutes. I think I may have to give it a very slight edge over Tokyo Drifter.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ineffiable posted:

I'm getting triggered by all these people who don't display criterions.

Enjoy my wonky phone panoramas

It's missing a couple of things I've loaned to friends, but that's everything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I couldn't get into Charade, Blow Out, Broadcast News, or Overlord. Ended up selling all three.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

blue squares posted:

I watched THE BLOB. Surprisingly good, especially for its time. The ending is hilarious in light of current global ecological problems. Definitely time for a sequel.

50's sci-fi loving rocks. I don't care if it's a celebrated classic or an obscure forgotten relic, it's all worth at least one watch. I love it. You should check out the Monsters & Madmen boxset.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 31, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really hope that gets a bluray transfer sometime. Darwyn Cooke was my favorite artist so his covers would make it an immediate purchase for me.

I'd probably upgrade, but I think part of their charm is that those movies aren't in HD. Blu-Ray isn't always kind to cheap sci-fi.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think I paid $32 a couple sales ago after a coupon. Not too bad for 4 films.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There should be a B&N sale in November, correct? If so I may just pick up Blood Simple and wait on the rest.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Does the del Toro set include any new features for Cronos and Devil's Backbone that aren't on the existing releases?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Same disc content, just different disc art and the book/packaging.

Hmm, it's tempting to upgrade just for the book.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know this thread talked about them not long ago, but Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill are two of my favorite blind buys and everyone should own them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Trying to limit myself to Lone Wolf & Cub and Pan'S Labyrinth this time around

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

For All Mankind is a great film, it's on my list to get during this sale. I've only seen the 1999 DVD pressing, but even that looked gorgeous.

For All Mankind was my first Criterion and I went in completely blind. Absolutely wonderful experience. The supplements on that disc are also great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I told myself I'd go easy this sale, but :shrug:

Dr. Strangelove
A Touch of Zen
Pan's Labyrinth
Blood Simple
Eating Raoul

Pan's and Blood Simple are blind buys but I've really liked all the del Toro and Coen movies I've seen so far, Zen is a total blind buy, and Raoul was suggested by my dad. Hoping to pick up Lone Wolf & Cub on tuesday too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

blue squares posted:

Why are people so hot for that film series anyway?

I was actually introduced to it through a really great episode of Bob's Burgers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObyK8sT-sl8

I've only ever seen the US "Shogun Assassin" edit, but it's still pretty great and I'm pumped to see the unedited originals.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zandert33 posted:

I'm a huge fan of "Lone Wolf and Cub", but in honestly it's not a perfect series. I'd say the first three are fantastic, the other three vary a bit in their quality.
They are fun and entertaining movies to watch, they feature some insane over the top gore effects, and don't overstay their welcome (most are under 90 mins long).

Aside from that there was the interesting recut of the first two films into "Shogun Assassin" which were kind of a big deal in the underground cinema scene in the early 80s, and the popularity in the underground extended into bootleg VHS tapes and then bootleg DVDs (in the early 00s you couldn't go into a shady DVD shop in NYC without seeing a stack of Shogun Assassin DVDs). The movie's reputation was also built up due to it being heavily sampled in Wu-Tang member Gza's album "Liquid Swords" which is a very highly regarded rap album. "Shogun Assassin" is also included in the Criterion set, and though I feel it's not as good as the original movies, them including it is significant.
Speaking of Shogun Assassin, is the soundtrack for SA the same as the soundtrack for the original film? I picked up the Shogun Assassin vinyl last year and it's pretty killer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Lone Wolf and Cub set is great so far. I've read a decent amount of the manga, but I didn't expect it to be so close to it. The first movie was probably the most brutal samurai movie I've ever seen. (Mostly seen Kurosawa's stuff and Zatoichi films) I'm less than two minutes into the second movie and he's already killed two dudes. This movie doesn't gently caress around.

Edit: I'm pretty sure what those women did to that ninja was a Mortal Kombat Fatality. :stare:

Yeah, this is definitely my favorite Criterion in a long time. I love that surprise moment near the end of the first movie where he pulls all the staff-sword pieces off of the baby cart, and then immediately lops a guy's legs off.

Speaking of samurai sets, I've now emailed two separate Criterion folks about the issues with my Zatoichi set and gotten zero replies. Emailed mulvaney back in august, and orders@criterion three weeks ago. Who am I supposed to contact now?

I just want a functional set. :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't know a whole lot about Lone Wolf and Cub. Is there anything that might be comparable to it? I know its based on a manga series, is it only for people who are into manga and anime or would it have a wider appeal? I love stuff like Lady Snowblood and the Samurai Trilogy(Inagaki's), just for reference.

Lady Snowblood and Lone Wolf & Cub are both based on manga written by Kazuo Koike. LW&C is fun, you'll like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I want to live in a world where Corman's Fantastic Four is in the Criterion Collection.