Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
My order from the sale came very quick, I didn't expect it before the weekend, but it was there when I got home friday. I'm excited to tell myself "this is the weekend I finally get around to watching 'Eyes Without a Face,' this time for sure" for the next three months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
For a real time, watching Godzilla then the Raymond Burr american version. It’s really a change.

The whole Godzilla Spine is really fun, several years ago we watched all of them when it was a pain to wrangle them up. Nice to have everything together & I could justify it because it was for my gf’s b-day, she’s more of a fanatic than I.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It's nearing the end of April so I'm trying to figure out which movies I should watch that are leaving criterion channel soon. When looking at this list, are there any that stand out to people?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I come again, hat in hand, and request people to look over the movies leaving on june 30th then tell me what they think I should make sure to watch. I only know a few of these, so don't be afraid to shout out anything, even if it seems obvious.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I watched Mulholland Dr back when it came to the channel in December I think. Otherwise it would be a perfect one for me. Apart from that, I’ll do as many movies from what was recommended as I can, thanks everyone for the suggestions! Whoever noted Oslo, August 31st the last time I did this: thank you, it’s a very good movie.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
We watched God Told Me To last night and, in a fit of boredom from a meeting, I decided to google any reviews. Roger Ebert did not like the movie. I didn't find it quite as confused, my fiancee described it as "pulp-y" which I think is accurate. The dialogue was bad in a few places and I don't know that it was overall a good movie, but I'm glad I watched it. Definitely interesting to see religiosity as a sort of painful isolator from humanity. Thanks for the recommendation, everyone. We're going to watch In a Lonely Place, and I'll try and see Raging Bull as well, but the past few weeks have been so busy. I'm glad that we watched Mulholland Dr. back in December though, would hate to have missed out on it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks to all who recommended Aguirre, the Wrath of God. We watched it last night in a double-feature with Lady Snowblood (bought two years ago and sat collecting dust) and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie make so much out of a lingering shot where nothing is explicitly happening. Really interesting stuff, especially to compare with Snowblood which came out around the same time.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It’s the middle of the month so I’d like to know what movies are leaving the channel that we should be sure to watch. Leviathan has been on my list for a while so that’s one. There are several particularly old movies leaving & I don’t know how easy they are to see, so if any of them are fun or interesting don’t hesitate, but I do have Nosferatu on physical media so I’m not worried about it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Years ago I watched Color Me Blood Red with some friends. Last night we decided to watch a movie so I took a look at the list of what's leaving and saw that it was on there, along with five other movies by the same director. We settled on The Gruesome Twosome, so I guess I should ask if any of the others are worth watching. Or if any of the other movies that are leaving this month shouldn't be missed. We watched A Fistful of Dollars last year, no worries there.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
We watched Shivers the other night and I couldn’t get over the decor and outfits. It’s easy to see how the same writer a director would go on to make Videodrome though.
Kinda felt like the movie lost the plot a little in the second half, and the ending was, by todays standards, bad hack work. For others that have seen it and know horror better than me, is that fair? I’m willing to believe that I missed some stuff that made it good or that I don’t have the proper context, but for a movie with a really intersting hook and engrossing first 30 minutes it really just falls flat at the end.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Faculty of Horror podcast did an episode about Shivers and it's context in Canadian filmmaking: https://www.facultyofhorror.com/2015/11/episode-32-i-want-your-sex-david-cronenbergs-shivers-1975/

We discussed Shivers in the Horror Director Bracketology thread from pages 37 to 39.

Thank you, reading the discussion was useful and I'll listen to the podcast today/tomorrow. I'm so rusty in horror that I forgot it really is a genre all its own, lol. That the best way to watch most of it is to ask "what sort of society produced this situation?" With that in mind, Shivers makes much more sense as an indictment of both the insulated and touch-starved denizens at the start of the movie & the backlash of disgusting excess they enjoy as soon as those barriers are broken down. I am a little torn in that I didn't like the ending, but (as pointed out in the Horror Bracketology thread) to have the inversion of what would be a normal happy ending to a horror film was good.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same.

I bought it during the last sale, but tonight I watched Mikey & Nicky with some friends and that’s a hell of a movie. Falk and Cassavetes being friends in real life gives the whole movie a very natural off-the-cuff vibe and they’re just entertaining as hell in every scene. I don’t know that I’d recommend blind-buying it unless you’re a fan of either guy, but definitely give it a watch if it ever pops up on Criterion Channel.

It was on the channel, because I watched it (twice, three times? with people to show it after it was recommended here) but I think it’s off right now. It is a fantastic movie, and BWDR had a solid essay on it that really sold me.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
This was, what, eight years after Birth of a Nation got screened at the white house and a little quote from president wilson talking about how important it is? The revival of the Klan was in full force by ‘26.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
We watched The Parallax View last year and it was great.

I managed to distract myself so I didn't buy anything last night, but this last 90 minutes has me really fighting the urge.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
G-Gundam is great because it starts out as a noir story, a man shows up in town with a torn picture asking everyone if they’ve seen the guy in the picture and getting the crap beat out of him by cops in a smoky backroom, then it almost completely loses that veneer and is a childrens tv show for a while, with some really goofy and fun gundam designs… then there’s a tournament arc.
It’s such a baffling show, and has some really fun moments, plus it’s not very long.

More on-topic, The Doom Generation is great. I saw Nowhere a couple years ago and wanted to watch the others he’s done, and drat is it good. I’m excited to round out the trilogy. I am glad I saved Nowhere because it’s impossible to find.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

distortion park posted:

This made me think of trying chromecast - it looks like I might need the chromecast dongle (gently caress samsung) but in theory that should work as Criterion has instructions on how to cast from your browser.

Yeah, we have a normal TV and sometimes I chromecast from my computer, it works just fine.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, Doom Generation is great and whenever you have the chance to see Nowhere: do.

There's so many good movies on right now, I'm excited to catch The Devils for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

On-Gaku/Our Sound is leaving the channel this month. Cute little anime movie about a group of numbskulls starting a band. Great music, very funny, and less than 90 minutes. I love this little movie.

Gripweed posted:

On-Gaku is so fun. I've never seen a movie about the joy of music that comes down so strongly on the idea that you never ever have to get good, or even try to get good, to enjoy making music.

Chris Knight posted:

On-Gaku is loving great. Add 10 years to all the characters and you'd have an Aki Kaurismäki movie.

We just watched it, and you're all right. On-Gaku is great!