Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Just snagged City Lights, Eraserhead and M, not even having to pay for shipping. Thank you Criterion for adding to my ever expanding list of movies I (will) own that I don't know when I'll get around to watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Glad I was able to snag a few I've been meaning to see for a while: Black Orpheus, The Red Shoes, and Smiles of a Summer Night. I'd be lying if I didn't say that my girlfriend had a slight hand in this selection as opposed to the last flash sale.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Brief sale (from today until Dec. 11th) where you can add HAPPY as a promo code to get 20% your whole cart, not just DVDs/Blu-rays. So if you wanted a discount on that awesome House shirt, then this is the deal for you.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Cloks posted:

In case there was any doubt remaining, Chimes at Midnight is an upcoming Criterion release. Saw it at the Wexner Center at Ohio State today and the program director announced it.

It's coming to a theater near me in Atlanta in a few months and I can't go. So bummed out, but I'm glad to hear they'll be releasing it for real.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Quite excited to hear about PTA finally getting his Criterion recognition. Does this mean There Will Be Blood and Magnolia could also be in the pipeline?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

FancyMike posted:

Anyone here interested in The Third Man, Last Year at Marienbad, or Pierrot Le Fou?

I was gonna request it, but it looks like you could start a bidding war for The Third Man.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Magnificent Seven is a fine film on its own, and I'm glad it's coming to Criterion. The more westerns, the merrier.

Completely agreed. Now, if they could get busy on giving us The Wild Bunch, that'd be grand.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Finances have been a bit tight for me lately, but yesterday I caved and treated myself to two new additions: Do The Right Thing on DVD, a sorta blind buy, and Stalker on Blu-ray, a completely blind buy.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

If criterion gets Ken Russell's Mahler id be very happy

Absolutely this. Also, Tommy, Altered States, and Lisztomania. I’d even take The Music Lovers because it’s just so hilariously bad.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Wes Anderson haters exist? (I get that The Darjeeling Limited is not his strongest, but it's still excellent.)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Well, yes in general Wes Anderson haters do exist. But The Darjeeling Limited is often criticized even by people who like Anderson. Not me, I put it up there on the second tier right below Grand Budapest and Moonrise Kingdom. I love the setting though.

The only criticism I could level at it is that it feels like more of Anderson's style over substance, but I like his style enough to where that doesn't bother me. True it's not as good as The Royal Tenenbaums or Moonrise Kingdom, but not every work can be paired too much against his best stuff.

I suppose I'm just eagerly awaiting Grand Budapest Hotel's inevitable release.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

drat. Doesn't work on shirts.

I guess I'll pass on the sale this time since I counted and have 21 movies that I bought and haven't watched yet (or have seen but not the Blu-ray copy.). Not even counting boxed sets.

Same. On top of having a super tight budget right now, my wife keeps saying we need to watch the ones we've already bought, and I concede that to be true. Oh well, hope the next sale isn't too far off.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

September titles:

Cold Water
A Raisin in the Sun
Andrei Rublev
My Man Godfrey
Scenes from a Marriage (Blu-ray upgrade)

Andrei Rublev will have both the 185 min and 205 min cuts from new 2K restorations.

Feels like one of those months where each release is an instant buy.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Space Fish posted:

Just saving money over here by staring at the criterions (criteria?) that I haven't watched yet and pretending I just got them in the sale.
Someone make sure to play them for my skeleton after I go.

No no, that's the stuff they use to determine which movies they need to preserve.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's shameful how few good opera adaptations there are. We have this, The Pirates of Penzance, and arguably Branagh's version of The Magic Flute.

I guess Topsy-Turvy kind of counts?

It may be a bit dated, but The Mikado is another great one. Admittedly operettas are far easier to adapt, but they're still enjoyable.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

I would kill someone for commentary tracks. Anyone. Even... you.

I need to rewatch IV. Each time, I was falling asleep and I didn’t really take it in. Still need to see Phantom Thread.

Forget that first one, and move on to that second one.

I might be completely in the minority on this, but I think PTA’s collaborations with Daniel Day-Lewis are far superior to this collaborations with Joaquin Phoenix. Not that they’re bad of course, but I’d take There Will Be Blood over The Master any day of the week.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

The geniuses at Criterion Forum pointed out so far:

Klute
An Angel at My Table
Swing Time
Bamboozled (bamboo sleed)
La vie de Jesus
Diamonds of the Night
One Sings, The Other Doesn't
War and Peace (Rabbit warren and peas)
Bringing Up Baby
The Koker Trilogy (three cokes)

They'd go from Do The Right Thing to Bamboozled? I mean, I love any Spike Lee getting added, but I figured they'd go with something safer like Malcom X or 25th Hour.

Samuel Clemens posted:

No joke, if they released a special edition of Cool Runnings, I'd buy it on day one.

:same:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

July releases:

Do the Right Thing
The Baker's Wife
BRD Trilogy
Klute
Europa Europa

I'll be ruined that month. All those releases are perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Hot drat, wasn't expecting Mildred Pierce. That'll be a good one to have.