Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah the narratively satisfying thing here is that Tarquin not only DOESN’T get the finale he wants from Elan, he gets taken down by an infinitely mad Succubus instead.

Or those side characters beat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Or those side characters beat him.

Yeah if the next see we see of him is a man devoid of friends, power, and influence over the narrative, he's welcome to come back to the story

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ikanreed posted:

Yeah if the next see we see of him is a man devoid of friends, power, and influence over the narrative, he's welcome to come back to the story

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Honestly, I think her genuine attachment to nale is likely to be the tipping point against the fiends, in the classic style of "evil doesn't understand selfless motives" downfall.

Capfalcon posted:

I just don't see how she blames her bosses?

I don't think ikanreed was suggesting Sabine has any reason to directly betray/oppose the fiends; more that her feelings will drive her to take independent action or exceed or deviate from their instructions in some way that ultimately and providentially leads to their failure.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New strip - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1274.html

Ok, I'm finally in the Julia is actually Roy's dad camp

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Huh. So does thus support the really Julia theory or the Eugene theory?

Cause I don't see Eugene admitting he feels useless like that unless it was him feeling it for all the strip, but I also don't see Julia being so willing to sacrifice a child

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Whatever's happening, it's going much too fast for me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's Eugene.

"being stuck up here"

"my... family's burden"

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

my dad posted:

It's Eugene.

"being stuck up here"

"my... family's burden"

Yep, that was my first thought after reading it as well. Eugene would totally be willing to sacrifice whatever to end the blood oath, along with the two flubs there, I think the evidence is piling up.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Huh. So does thus support the really Julia theory or the Eugene theory?

Cause I don't see Eugene admitting he feels useless like that unless it was him feeling it for all the strip, but I also don't see Julia being so willing to sacrifice a child

What sells it for me is "my... family's burden." A clumsy stumble with an awkward save.

Another thing is that Eugene is Lawful Good (...ish), and having that sense of responsibility to others goes hand in hand with feeling bad about not being able to help. He's also able to speak freely without his pride getting in the way since he's speaking as someone else.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's totally Eugene. Good eye, those who spotted it earlier!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, it's totally Eugene. Good eye, those who spotted it earlier!

the question is, will Roy spot it? Or will it have to be revealed to him?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
The issue I have with it being Eugene is that he is totally okay with Roy failing and the world being destroyed. So I don't think he'd react so strongly to the idea of Roy failing. Also Julia is treating the ranger as a serious threat that needs to be dealt with and is willing to sacrifice Sunny for it. There is no way Eugene would consider a non-magic user to be such a threat to warrant ditching the one ally that could neutralize a caster to take her out.

I guess the only thing is maybe if he's trying to sabotage them by removing Sunny. Though it seems the oath would be removed whether xykon wins and the world is destroyed or loses and is destroyed himself. So I'm not sure why he'd want Roy to fail. Since for Eugene the outcome should be the same either way.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 27, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What I think is happening is that Eugene is actually learning and coming to realize the extent of his fuckups, but he's going about trying to help in the dumbest dad way possible, because he's still Eugene and he still 'obviously knows better' than his son.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think Eugene is capable of actually learning. He's dead. It certainly seems possible though that Roy's sister's personality was heavily influenced by her father's, especially since she followed in his footsteps, unlike Roy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Every time "Julia" gets into an exchange where it's ambiguous whether or not it's Julia or Eugene, "Julia" reacts with worry or stumbles over her words:

1272, panels 6-7. "Julia" is shook by Roy saying "a lucky guess" referring to how he knew his father would show up when he's alone.

1273, panel 11. "Julia" is caught off guard by Roy referencing an event that Julia attended but Eugene absolutely did not attend.

And as we covered here, "Julia" flubs by nearly referencing "my... [family's] burden" and then Roy corrects her "mistake" about being "up here" vs "down there".

quote:

"There you are, Dad. I didn't see you hiding in my sister's entire personality like that."

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think Eugene is capable of actually learning. He's dead. It certainly seems possible though that Roy's sister's personality was heavily influenced by her father's, especially since she followed in his footsteps, unlike Roy.

This is kind of where I'm at, tbh. I could also see the scenario where Eugene has started contacting her somehow as well, and thus has been in her ear about things more recently.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Putting the morality of sacrificing children aside, there is the fact that Sunny ain't an automaton, and likely have an opinion about this. So would their allies.
But if it's Eugene, it is not the first time he embraced "hard men making hard decisions ". Remember the "why won't we let Hel win? Can't the dwarves have a little civil war"?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're right on both counts. Though I think if Eugene is lonely and bored enough then I can see him making an attempt if only to make himself feel better.

Because if this is actually Eugene then he is making some breakthroughs in talking to Roy. He is taking him more seriously than he ever did in any of their previous conversations. He even said a few things that were vaguely complementary in nature and offered an actual apology when he stepped out of line. This is the nicest he's ever been to Roy.

It does seem out of character but, if there's a time for them to find some kind of resolution in their relationship that's even remotely conciliatory then this book is a pretty good time.

Yeah that seems more likely than sabotage, thinking about it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm stretching it a bit, I'd like to wait for further strips to see if I'm guessing things right, but this whole thing makes sense in a "OK, I was being an rear end in a top hat, and was wrong a few times, and Roy was right to be angry, but he's letting his anger against me cloud his judgement about my clearly correct views, therefore if I put my words in someone else's mouth, he'll finally see that he actually agrees with them!" way, and is in for a rude awakening.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

my dad posted:

I'm stretching it a bit, I'd like to wait for further strips to see if I'm guessing things right, but this whole thing makes sense in a "OK, I was being an rear end in a top hat, and was wrong a few times, and Roy was right to be angry, but he's letting his anger against me cloud his judgement about my clearly correct views, therefore if I put my words in someone else's mouth, he'll finally see that he actually agrees with them!" way, and is in for a rude awakening.

Yep, this is where I'm at as well. The only question is whether or not the airship exchange was Julia or Eugene. I think the airship was definitely Julia, Eugene noticed her using the blood oath, and also noticed how Roy was actually listening to her on the airship.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Roy doesn't seem to have figured out who "Julia" is and doesn't seem like he will given he's filling in the gaps himself (end of 1273 and end of 1274), so I bet this resolves with Julia also appearing to Roy.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It's kinda interesting that Roy says "someone your age shouldn't have to worry about this" which works whether he is talking to Julia or Eugene.

Yeah I think Roy will eventually figure it out, but the question is will he play along or not. Eugene could still have some useful input and he's definitely more cooperative like this. I guess it depends on how long the last book is but I can see them having a couple conversations before the "reveal".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was pretty well convinced it's Eugene after the last strip but "my...family" is the giveaway.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I am now fully on board the "That isn't Julia" train myself. Does her "Sending" appearance look different compared to previous ones? Is she more transparent?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kruller posted:

I am now fully on board the "That isn't Julia" train myself. Does her "Sending" appearance look different compared to previous ones? Is she more transparent?

Looks identical to me, though I note Airship Julia is much sassier and funnier than Cave Julia. She also doesn't bring up Roy being a fighter at all, while Cave Julia has made 3 separate cracks about it.

For reference, 1191-93 and 95-96: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1192.html

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gun Jam posted:

Putting the morality of sacrificing children aside, there is the fact that Sunny ain't an automaton, and likely have an opinion about this. So would their allies.
But if it's Eugene, it is not the first time he embraced "hard men making hard decisions ". Remember the "why won't we let Hel win? Can't the dwarves have a little civil war"?

To be fair to Eugene, that was in context of "If the world blows up, lots of innocent people are going to spend eternity in an awful afterlife." Which he accepted as a valid issue and said, "Yeah, that is a problem. Hey, here's a solution so everyone can get to a nice afterlife like me!"

It's not a great look, but once you're dead, you probably get a lot more philosophical about the short time you spend alive and a lot more focused on eternity.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh man, was I ever wrong.

It does leave the question of "why though"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ikanreed posted:

Oh man, was I ever wrong.

It does leave the question of "why though"

the only real reason is being embarrassed but that's out of character for eugene normally so :iiam:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Parahexavoctal posted:

Will the revelation be simultaneous for the Roy and the audience, or will he catch on pages before we realize he did?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
"That's easy for you to say" in response to "not my problem if I'm dead" is the earlier of the giveaways.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Rich underscores the "up here" so that's got to be important. But why is Eugene bothering to disguise himself as Julia?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The X-man cometh posted:

Rich underscores the "up here" so that's got to be important. But why is Eugene bothering to disguise himself as Julia?

because there's no way Roy would listen to Eugene.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It wouldn't be the first time Eugene's disguised himself as someone else to try to accomplish his personal goals at the expense of the Order, either.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Roy knows, it at least suspects. He's smart as hell when he isn't letting his ego or his frustrations get in the way. It's already been mentioned in this thread that he already tested "Julia" once in this conversation. At this point I think he's playing along for two reasons. The first is to pump Eugene for useful information. After all, he may have some insight on how to fight an epic caster. The second is to keep him away from Julia. Sure, there's the promise, but better to not give Eugene a reason to break it and possibly get Julia sent off to her death.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Definitely getting more and more sus, but having "Julia" turn out to be Eugene would be such a waste of a female character when those are already known to be in limited supply.

There is, of course, a third possibility: Julia claims that her sending spell runs off of Eugene's situation. What if it somehow triggered a splice of sorts? Maybe Roy is talking to a Julia technically possessed by Eugene, or a strange hybrid of the two.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The possibility that it IS Julia, but one being peer-pressured by Eugene, is interesting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Eugene feeding Julia lines for some reason?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Personally I'm hoping that the real Juila comes calling mentally while this Eugene-Julia is still there.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

ArchRanger posted:

Personally I'm hoping that the real Juila comes calling mentally while this Eugene-Julia is still there.
That would be amazing. We know Roy's been wanting to tell her about Pops and their little brother for years weeks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looks identical to me, though I note Airship Julia is much sassier and funnier than Cave Julia. She also doesn't bring up Roy being a fighter at all, while Cave Julia has made 3 separate cracks about it.

For reference, 1191-93 and 95-96: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1192.html
I don't think Eugene would correct Roy on or even know Julia's actual age.