Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Ahem. Gee, I hope Rich is okay. :ohdear:

(...Did it work?)

Yes, yes it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

Uranium Phoenix posted:

On one hand, I like how Burlew resolved it without any bullshit.

Actually nothing has been resolved. Aside from killing his opponents rather incapacitating them, everything we're assuming on his motives (i.e., still a friend to Roy, no worse than Belkar, wants to save the world, etc.) we only have Durkon's word to go on, and he's not exactly the most trustworthy source now. Maybe everything is as it appears to be, or maybe he thinks he gets to travel a bit with five humanoid snacks for the road.

flyingkiwi posted:

That is some really crappy dialogue toward the end, reminds me of the MitD strip just before. Maybe Rich should go back to updating once a fortnight to smooth these over better.

Feel free to show us how you'd do better. Okay, the MitD might have sounded a little forced if at least was still in line with the character growth. But you're complaining here on first reactions in four panels. At least wait until the next strip for a genuine denouement before you start declaring the comic ruined.

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 6, 2013

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

flyingkiwi posted:

Mother of overreactions, I said the dialogue was crappy in two places. I love the comic, you're a loving nutbar though.

Easy there, Tex, I think we have a misunderstanding of tone here. You were critiquing Rich and suggesting he lay off updating without really saying why. I was critiquing your critique. I'm not saying you have to be a web artist to make any comment. Heck, I even conceded on the MitD point but feel you're jumping the gun on decrying what's clearly a set-up for a Durkon/OotS scene. At least without even saying why. I meant my statement literally; tell me why its so terribly crappy that it requires a breather. What should have been done? Just look literally one post down from your response to me for an example of someone showing why they think it should be called out. Do I agree with the criticism? Doesn't matter! I'm not the arbiter of people's opinions. But what the hell do I know? I'm just a loving nutbar.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

I'm sure 50 people have the answer to this, but why is Haley flying? When did this happen?

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

Sodium many posts.

Well, thank you for getting this stuck in my head. Again.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

If he didn't want to get pregnant he shouldn't have shapeshifted that way.

Neigh means nay.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

AnoHito posted:

The reprinting kickstarter he did alone raised over a million dollars (that he then kind of squandered because he's a weirdo who refuses to just let people give him money).

I wouldn't say squandered so much as 'didn't keep a dime for himself', but you're spot on with the rest of it. Speaking of which, did he ever finish that Work-O-Meter or is there still "Patience" drawings to go?

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, I'm arguing that the book undermines its own ethical argument which is the focal point of its conflict by placing O'Chul in a starkly similar position, only his actions led to an even greater loss of life, and then never bringing that up ever again.

No, you're arguing that "fantasy" genocide is totally cool because maybe, possibly, one day someone will do some bad from that group and O'Chul should be sad he didn't bathe in the blood of the foreigners. And if they did wipe out the hobgoblins and so Xykon never took Sapphire City, should they feel bad because they killed off an entire group for no reason since no one would have known what could have happened otherwise? If not, well, then that says they should always slaughter anything that might if you squint hard enough be a threat one day since you can just assume there totally was going to be a problem one day you guys. I don't know how you could possibly read this webcomic and take away the "mass murder is great!" message, but just stop. You are absolutely reading it wrong.

EDIT:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What do you think the invasion of Azure City was if not a hobgoblin genocide of the Azurites
And apparently you've decided that you're going to die on this hill of hobgoblin corpses. Lovely.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

nobody really wants to kill the pandas for its own sake

Pandas do. Every panda on earth hates every other panda and will only breed under the most begrudging of circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

Gynovore posted:

OMG, the Spider-Man newspaper strip. I remember that from when I was way younger. Turns out it kept lumbering on and on until finally shutting down in 2019. In case anyone's curious, here's the final strip:

At first glance I thought Peter was an rear end to his boss and MJ. Then I quickly realized it wasn't meant to be read top-down in columns.