Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

I think you have to buy the app on the roku, which is what he was talking about. PS3 just sees it as a DLNA server.

I have Plex on my Roku, and it's free.

It's also completely amazing. Get it. My only regret is that I only bought the 720p Roku, since I was going to use it in my bedroom. I liked it so much, I moved it into the living room, and it replaced my PS3 as my DLNA client of choice.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It works with MKVs just fine. I'm not sure about DD/DTS, since I've never looked, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

I basically think of it like an Apple TV, except replace iTunes with Plex.

The best part is because of how small it is, it's easy to pack in your carry-on so you can watch Netflix in your lovely airport hotel after your flight gets cancelled.

Seriously, just buy one. They're 50-100 bucks, and you can just return it to Walmart if you don't like it.

Edit:

Actually, with Plex, you can stream from your NAS/Desktop TO your lovely airport hotel room. Doesn't get any better than that.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 10, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Laser Cow posted:

It's fabric, the idea is that you can put a centre channel in it. But it is also IR transparent. Smoked glass would be awesome though.

Where did you get it? I want one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Christ, dude, how heavy is an amp with a linear power supply?

That's some audiophile-grade crazy right there. I'm afraid to ask how much it cost.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 2, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mrbass21 posted:

loving heavy. It's like 75 lbs or so, and is a bitch to move. It's a toss up if the subwoofer or the amp is heavier.

I bought almost all of this when I got a programming job that was pretty much Office Space right out of college and hated it. So I spent the money as quick as I could. Luckily for my finances, and wife, I have a job I love now.

Iirc it was

Sub: 700
Amp: 500
Processor: 750
Bookshelf speakers: 350 (each)
Rear speakers: 250

It's been a while, but I think that's what I paid.

The amp and the sub are well worth the money. If you're getting a sub, get Epik. They are incredible.

You're nuts. For 700, that sub had better do 20Hz at reference volume with <1% THD.

edit: That sub is 140 lbs according to the manufacturer's website.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 2, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

snuff posted:

As an owner of a ST50 I am already worried about burn in from that static Windows desktop.

Wait, he used a plasma?

Oh God, he did. :doh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finsihed setting up my system last night. Just need to paint, now.

TV: LG 55LA6900
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Fronts: Aperion 5T
Center: Aperion 4C
Surround: Polk TSi 200
Subwoofer: Polk PSW 505

I have the 4T speakers next to the 5T's because I was trying to see whether the upgrade was worth it. It definitely is. The thing that swayed me is that with the 4T's, I had to turn the sub way down so they weren't overpowered. The 5T's kept up nicely.

Both are pretty badass speakers, but I'm going to keep the 5's and return the 4's.

The 5's look better, in my opinion, as well.

Surrounds:

Sub:

Mess from installing:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

niss posted:

Looks good, but I think you reversed those two steps.

Nah, I had to do a bunch of wallfishing, so I wanted to handle the "cutting holes in my walls" part before the "making the walls look nice" part. As you can see from the spackle, I'm not the best with a drywall saw. Taking down the TV and speakers is easy enough for painting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ramadu posted:

I'm not one to criticize another man's AV set up, but man, that TV seems to be really high. Won't your neck hurt? Other than that height issue it looks awesome.

I thought it would, but surprisingly, no. You don't really get a sense of how wide the room is in the pictures, and the couch is on the opposite wall.

When you combine that with the fact that the couch naturally leans you back a bit, it's about the same as sitting in a movie theater.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It was a WAF thing. She didn't want speakers on the middle of her wall. It was that or right next to the fireplace.

We have a room set aside for a home theater, anyways. This is mostly for tv and music.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

lowcrabdiet posted:

What couch is that? I'm looking for a grey tufted sofa and yours looks nice!

It's a very nice sofa. James collection by Younger.

http://youngerfurniture.com/products/sofas/James-Collection

The only thing I don't like about it is that the buttons will have extra slack on their threads when you sit down (because you're compressing the cushion), which makes them pop out of their holes. They go back when you get up, but it can be annoying when you're trying to lay on it and a button is digging into your back. Also, I worry that they'll come off, but they seem to be holding on. :shrug:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I love how new TVs have such narrow bezels. It looks very futuristic, and makes a nice contrast to the fireplace.

Does the fireplace work, or is it just decorative? Do you get cold winters?

As an aside, how common are fireplaces in the living room in North American houses? It seems like this thread is full of them.
Over here in Scandinavia, only old houses have them. Nowadays, people tend to install a closed stove/wood heater instead, because open fireplaces tend to "leak" smoke into the room, and also let most of the heat out through the chimney.

It's a wood-burning fireplace. Fireplaces are pretty common in larger homes - many consider them to be status symbols. Newer homes tend to have gas fireplaces that don't need ventilation. I have another fireplace in my basement right below it that is hooked up for gas (but could burn wood as well), so I could convert this one fairly easily if I wanted to.

The nice thing is that the chimney is actually on the outside of the house, and the chimney-shaped piece that my TV is mounted on is just hollow drywall with studs, so I'm not worry about the TV overheating or anything like that (Also made it much easier to run wires through).

The wood-burning stoves used to be pretty popular in the US, but I hate the way they look.

I'm in Buffalo, so yeah, winters get pretty drat cold (Not as cold as yours, though!).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My office setup is complete (for now):

Speaker-wise, I have a 2.1 system with Aperion Intimus 4T towers and a Polk PSW10 sub.

The Aperions are powered by an Onkyo TX-8020 stereo receiver with a Behringer Super-X PRO CX2310 crossover making sure I don't blow them out.

My Fiio E09K does double duty as a headphone amp and pre-amp for the speakers, while a Fiio E17 handles Digital to Analog conversion.

A Sennheiser HD598 handles my jam sessions when the wife is sleeping.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

MMD3,

Whatever you decide, run your ideas by us. Its fun to play audio video dress up with other peoples money.

I really like the idea of a minimalist a/v setup. Where you have a display on the wall, and some nice lighting in the room, but no visible speakers, cords or components. Lots of furniture have built in remote and game controller drawers.

My setup has no visible components. They're all on a closet off the main room. I used a cheap 5 shelf polymer home depot garage shelf thing as an equipment rack. Allows easy access and is modular with room for anything.

I made my runs in the ceiling for the surrounds etc.

My speakers are too large to hide, but you could do in wall speakers. There are also plenty of very good high efficiency quality speakers in wall mountable bookshelf form. The subwoofer can be placed in a corner somewhere out if view or used as a corner table. If you don't want to go big on bass, you could always install tactile shakers in your furniture.

If you did a projector, you could conceivably hide even the screen. Either have a motorized screen come from the ceiling, or paint the wall with special screen paint.

The projector would be easy enough to hide above a fake ceiling.

Edit:

Comedy option?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFXlAt5-hTk

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 11, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

A 420 horsepower 8 speed luxury KIA is a reasonable solution for his home theater design questions. Not comedy at all!

It has an optional 17 speaker, 900 watt Lexicon sound system! (I'm bad at tabbed browsing. :downs:)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rivera82falcon posted:

Originally I was going to have my Man Cave in the basement of my house, however, after some battles with the Mrs., I won and moved it to our spare bedroom. This is what I've done now and am looking for additional ideas:

Sony 47" LED screen
Wii
XBox360

Note: The walls are plaster and a PAIN in the rear end behind it due to the house being old so there are some "odd" beams behind the wall forcing me to use molding on the bottom half of the room. Also, I have a DVI cable running nicely on the bottom molding of the room to my PC on the other side.

The case will be changed later if I get time but there is a small table going where the PC sits now that I'm making.

This next pic shows a problem I ran into that forced me to make the two holes you see due to the edge of the house being there and a huge support beam I couldn't drill through mainly from the roof.

I need this covered as nice as possible but could use some ideas how to do this. Only thing that comes to mind is adding a small fake wall but I wanna hear other thoughts on this.

Thanks all!!! I'll definitely post more later as I update this room.

Get some crown molding to cover the wires up?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lynea-Molding-Wave-Collection-6-in-x-8-ft-Polyurethane-Crown-Molding-WC46401/202696520?N=ara1Z1z0winrZ1z135qv

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 2, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

A cheap RCA switch is exactly what you need.

Something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011007&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

(Just use the stereo RCAs and ignore the component and digital connectors)

But then you'd have to switch 2 things over whenever you wanted to change. Does the monitor have more than one HDMI input?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Ah, yeah my monitor can only do one HDMI input, which is why I'm using DVI for the PC.

Use an HDMI switch. Monoprice has some good ones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Silly me, another reason I use DVI is because my graphics card doesn't sport an HDMI port. With that said, will my messy fix (as illustrated by the expertly-crafted images above) work? I don't see why not but I'm not a pro when it comes to a/v hook-ups.

Basically as long switching between the two is a matter of changing the source on the monitor, it'd work for me. As of right now, having to get off the chair to un-plug and re-plug my speakers has been a surprisingly effective deterrent from playing PS3.

No, it won't work.

Get these:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=8124&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8150&seq=1&format=2

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Yep, that definitely looks like it'd do it. Ehh at $50 I might just deal with moving my lazy rear end off the chair, at least until my tax refund comes in.

Would you care to enlighten me as to why my "solution" wouldn't work? Not that I don't believe you but rather I'm genuinely curious about the "rules" of audio cables and why the idea isn't feasible. I'm probably missing something pretty obvious as the most intensive work I ever do with wiring and routing audio involves my Roland drum set, which is mostly self-explanatory.

Because you can't use a Y connector to connect two sources together. Best case, you get interference; worse case, you damage your equipment.

You'd need one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221261023292?lpid=82

However, you'd need to switch both your monitor and audio switch, which can be kind of a pain (although less of a pain than physically moving the cables).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KingSlime posted:

As I'm on a monitor, it only has one audio output and the speakers have the one input. Likewise, the computer has one audio output so the speakers are either connected to that port or the one on the monitor (when playing PS3).

On that note...DVI wouldn't carry sound would it, even with the HDMI adapter? That sort of messes with my plan. Do msot TV's have an audio input these days which I can connect to my computer's audio jack and route sound that way instead?

You'd need to get the DVI to HDMI+audio converter I posted. Or a video card with HDMI out, I suppose.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Photex posted:

been awhile since I have updated my setup, I added an HDMI switch (I wish i could have afforded a 4x2 matrix switcher..)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6416&seq=1&format=2

40 bucks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Photex posted:

I should have been more clear a matrix. Switcher with cat 6 transmission

Does the extender need to be integrated into the matrix switch?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8121&seq=1&format=2

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm trying to come up with a good reason to have both a Wii and Wii U hooked up. I can't think of one.

If you get any more game systems, you're going to need a bigger component switch. Try this one:

http://www.wiredathome.com/home-aud...CFRQS7AodVysAxA

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MMD3 posted:

bwahaha... well, this is what it looked like pre-remodel

The house is a 1925 craftsman.

I remember that basement in DIY. You did a great job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like the concrete pattern he chose. You can do pretty much anything with concrete, now. It doesn't have to look like a garage floor.

For example:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Adam's Website posted:

Frequency response 50 Hz - 50 kHz

:raise:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

That scene needs every award it can win.

I don't recognize the scene, but is that Alison Brie? :fap:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AzCoug posted:

Ear level when sitting down?

Yes. Speakers should ideally be mounted at head-height. Obviously, that's impossible for your center channel, but you really won't notice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm starting to wish I went 65 or 75 for my TV. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Green is the "ideal" location for them, but probably inconvenient. Blue is where I'd probably stick them, if it were me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-rf-modulator/2635031.p?id=1218343206935&skuId=2635031

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

niss posted:

You could potentially build some shelving/cabinet above the fish tank. There is obviously an outlet powering the fish tank, so you could just put another outlet up above it to use for power of equipment, that way you wouldn't have to worry about power cables hanging down. It would also be a really short run from the equipment to the TV and speakers. I would think done properly it would look pretty nice, the only potential downfall is that it is a bit to close to the kitchen cabinets, which might end up clashing or looking a bit strange.

Also the whole electricity and water thing.

That fireplace is all hollow behind that drywall. The duct for the exhaust is like 10 inches diameter. You could reroute it to make room for a rack.

Alternatively, is there a closet nearby?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Nah, it looks cool and could be dimmed during the movie. I would extend the lighting behind your display for that black level trick CRT makers don't want you to know about.

People still make CRTs?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think I speak for everybody when I say "gently caress people THAT rich."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Spent the night rearranging my office setup. I really need a bigger desk....

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Hand posted:

What is this equipment?

Gorgeous setup btw. :)

Thanks!

Signal chain goes right to left:

Fiio E17/E09K AMP/DAC stack - this pulls double duty driving my Sennheiser HD598 cans and also acts as a DAC and master volume control for the stereo setup.

Behringer Ultragraph Pro 15 band graphic EQ - good for making quick EQ adjustments. Also has plenty of blinkenlights for :pcgaming: and/or :rice: factor.

Behringer Super-X Pro stereo 2-way crossover - does what it says on the tin. Keeps my speakers from suiciding when I get drunk and turn on "This Is Spinal Tap" mode (+8dB gain switch on the back of my E09K).

Onkyo TX-8020 stereo amplifier - powers the speakers (duh).

Aperion Audio Intimus 4T speakers - I actually like these better for music than the 5T's I have in my living room. They punch well above their size and price class.

Polk PSW10 subwoofer - plenty of bass for annoying my neighbors and/or dog. I have a PSW505 in my living room, but again, I prefer the smaller system for music.

Also seen: Behringer Xenyx Q802USB mixer, cheap CAD USB microphone.

If you're wondering why I skipped a box, it's because that's just a rackmount PoE midspan I had lying around. It does a pretty good job keeping my monitors at the same level.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 29, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Thousands of dollars worth of AV equipment and no mouse pad.

I hate mouse pads.

Also, I was going to correct you on your "thousands" comment, but then I realized you're right. :shepspends:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 31, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Legdiian posted:

What's the justification for 20 DTV boxes with a video distribution system?

What if 20 people want to watch different shows at the same time?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Legdiian posted:

That's why I'm asking. If more than 6 people live in that house I'd be surprised though.

I was being sarcastic. The real reason is "gently caress it. We're rich!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

poppingseagull posted:

I didn't design it. But it makes my life easier when every TV has a dedicated box. There's a jacuzzi room with 3 TVs so that alone gets three boxes.

Also if there are guests they could use maybe half at the same time.

But isn't that the point of a home distribution system? They could save a lot of money by just putting the boxes behind every TV and buying an XBox for every room or something.