Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Video:
Infocus X1 projector
100" painted screen using Behr SilverScreen mixture

Audio:
Denon AVR-2604 Receiver
Mission 77C Center, 773 fronts, and 771 rear (left right center) speakers
Mission 700asi Subwoofer

Source:
Oppo OPDV971H DVD Player
Mediacom Cable HD Receiver
Xbox non-hacked for the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

Scrapez, you have some great components, and a projector that's on its way out. Thinking of upgrading?

Definitely. The X1 (4800) has been great to me but it is definitely the weakest link in the chain at this point. I am waiting to pull the trigger on a true HD projector. That will definitely occur here in the next couple months.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

eshbach posted:

Awesome Vintage Audio...

That is quite an awesome setup you have there. I have a couple of lower end old receivers that I use with computer and in bedroom.

A Marantz 2235b and a Pioneer SX-3700. The old stuff is so beautiful. Someday I'll snag the JBL L100's that have been sitting in my father's attic since the 80's.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

jebeebus posted:

Isn't it a bit straining to have to look up at the TV like that?

I was thinking the same thing. The armoire is cool but it's just too tall to have the TV on top I would think.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I believe my painted screen is comprised of Behr SilverScreen and a Misty Evening but I can't recall who makes the misty evening.

I used much of the ridiculous amount of testing people did with different paints on avsforums back when my X1 was new.

Their were so many drat competing paint brands/colors and painting methods it was unreal and they kept getting better and better.

I just rolled mine onto a piece of whiteboard from Home Depot and it really does look pretty good. I never really had much of anything to compare to other than the pure whiteboard and it was miles better than that. The whiteboard washed out the whites horribly and was all together too bright on all colors.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

wolrah posted:

No pics because I'm across the state ATM, but here's the core:

InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 (480p widescreen DLP projector)
Homebrew 96" screen
Onkyo 1000w 7.1 HTIB
XBMC-powered Xbox
Windows XP MCE PC w/ Hauppauge PVR150 and a VBOX Cat's Eye 150 HDTV tuner
File server w/ 1.5TB of media storage, about 70% full of movies and TV.

With this setup, I can play any digital format I've ever cared to try, from TiVo exports up to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray rips all with the push of a few remote control buttons. My whole design goal for my AV setup is to never have to leave the couch to change media.

What are your using for your screen? Blackout cloth? Paint?

You have essentially the same projector as me (X1/4800).

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

Inter-pixel gap on the older 480p projectors isn't too bad at all. Sure, it's worse than the newer stuff in 720p and 1080p, but that's where viewing distance comes in.

If you're sitting at 1.5x the screen width like you're supposed to, you're sitting far enough away that the pixels blend together a bit, and all you see is a pretty picture.

Definitely, If I come up close I can see the screendoor effect but at seated distance I don't see it at all.

I am also lucky in that I've never experienced the rainbow effect that many people get with dlp projectors.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

tribalmunky posted:

Sorry about the lovely lighting. I didn't realize it would look that bad. :barf:

(That, and it's a slightly old picture, bout a couple months more or less. But still looks the same.)

So I see:
A Motorola cable box
An Xbox 360
Oppo dvd player
What appears to be a slot load pc dvd player hooked to a hidden htpc?
Mystery device on top of the Oppo

How'd I do?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Pibborando San posted:

That's a Wii dude.

And I don't know what the mystery device is either. Perhaps an input switcher?

edit: Oh poo poo I missed the PS2 hidden to the left of the TV!

How dumb do I feel? lol

Obviously I am Wiitarded when it comes to gaming systems. As you can tell I am not the owner of a wii.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

What kind of stands are those fahrvergnugen? I really like the component stand.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

mrk posted:

Just a minor yay, I thought this would end up costing more but was lucky to get a last moment bid in and win at a super price of £8 !

Audiphile SA07 to bridge the preamp>poweramp on the NAD, there is slghtly more low range detail and bass punch over the Monster interlink 301 cable I used before whilst both offer more than the stock "Pins" nad use \m/

You have really good ears.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Modena posted:

hello new sub

Nice. Is that an Elemental Designs and what are you powering it with?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Modena posted:

It's an Elemental Designs A3-300 and it's internally powered (im assuming you didn't know they make full subs now), but I'm running it through a Denon 1082. The other sub is an HSU STF-2.

My blurry av 'rack' from an earlier post:

No I didn't even realize that. I thought you built it. Very cool. Those guys are from Cedar Falls, Iowa I think. I remember when they were first getting started into car audio on the forums several years back.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Modena posted:

Their HT stuff is garnering GREAT reviews from all over the place (AVS etc). Compared to my $300 HSU, the $450 Elemental Designs is much much much better. I'd say it's comparable to an SVS PB12-ISD if not slightly better.

That's cool. I'll have to take a hard look at them when I finally kick my POS Mission 700asi to the curb.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

LofwyrSai posted:

These pictures didn't come out that well - blurry for some reason - but gives an idea and I'm lazy.

Main setup in the living room. 47" HDTV with Klipsch all around (built in dual 10" subs) hooking through a Sony DD5.1 preamp. Moto DVR and Progressive Scan DVD player. Not showing the surrounds here but they are high end Klipsch as well.

Picture of living room stack

Bedroom Hitachi 47" Plasma with a DVD player.

Computer setup. I have both the Xbox360 and the computer going in optical to a Pioneer receiver with Klipsch speakers including a 12" downfiring sub (not shown - in the corner). Viewsonic 21" monitor for the computer and 19" lcd for the Xbox360. (First glass of wine shown - not drunk posting... :) )

Rear surround in office - these are the cheapest things I have - some junk bookshelfs. Eventually I'll get better Klipsch speakers to match the front 4.

Get this man some component racks and some Parkinson's meds stat! I'm just kidding ya :)

You have some nice components there man. Is heat an issue with them just stacked on the floor like that?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Juriko posted:

Awesome speakers impress me more than TV's anyways.

Amen brotha. Bring on the cool audio components.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

tropical posted:

Here's my setup with my new LCD:

Sharp LC37D43U
DVD player: Pioneer DV-353
Receiver: Kenwood VR-509
Fronts: Paradigm 5se
Surrounds: Paradigm Atom
Center: Paradigm CC-70

I'm pretty pleased overall; the front speakers are getting pretty old (I inherited them from my dad who bought them close to 20 years ago, if not longer) but they still sound really nice. They make enough bass that I don't need a sub, especially in an apartment. I need to angle the center speaker up a bit, it's kind of low and I think it's affecting the audibility of dialog in movies.

Nice clean setup and I really like the floors in that room.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I think a lot of us are waiting for the format war to end before we chuck down some cash on a player that could be obsolete.

For now, I'm content with watching standard dvds upconverted and if I want to orgasm from the picture quality, I watch HD TV.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

Can anybody suggest a soundproofing system for a small apt.??
I live in a tiny shoebox apt. and bought a pioneer 600watt 5.1 system. Thread here.
Unfortunately it is far too loud for my tiny apt and I need a way to soundproof it somewhat. Foam baffling? Dynamat? Has anyone tried to soundproof their apt before?
What is an affordable way to do it?

I would say your best bet is to disconnect your sub and get a buttshaker setup. They are a bit pricey but one setup should work fine for after-hours viewing. My guess is that your neighbor is only hearing/feeling the bass so that would solve your issue.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Agedashi Tofu posted:

Apparently I was having lighting issues when I went to take these, because they look terrible. I was, of course, too lazy to go back downstairs and take new pictures once I noticed this - mainly because I'm sick of my 2nd hand craigslist furniture and will hopefully be posting my new and improved set up sometime next month after I've done some shopping.

Here is the room now:

- Sony XBR4 - 46"
- Low rent Sony receiver (will replace when I actually get surround sound)
- Paradigm Monitor5 speakers
- Sony subwoofer (looking to replace with a Hsu Subwoofer after the furniture re-tool)
- 360/PS3/Wii
- Apple TV
- Harmony One remote (I had to mention it because I love it)

Here's a head on view:

And just for fun, since they were nearby and all, a blurry shot of my headphones:

Also - I promised I'd take some shots with my bais lighting on a few posts back, so here they are. Should be obvious which is which. The pictures really don't do it justice at all, and Iike I'd said before - it doesn't do much for the overall picture quality, but more for how your eyes adjust to light and dark scenes:

Nice PenguinAmp. I have one as well. If only I could find my Etymotics I could use it again.

Nice clean looking setup you have there. The furniture doesn't look bad at all. The only problem I see with it is that you couldn't lay down on it with those arms.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

theo400 posted:

I don't know what you consider high dollar, but you can get some of these

http://www.amazon.com/WS4777-3-WAY-Remote-Dimmer-Switch/dp/B00022OCFK

with a harmony 890 and you should be able to connect everything using that remote, remote goes for about $300 if I recall correctly.

I was also going to mention the x10 stuff. You can get x10 lots for pretty cheap on Ebay a lot of the time if you aren't opposed to Ebay.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

King-Kong posted:

Center - none! Sold years ago, used to be a B&W LCR300. Center channels are scams!

That's a pretty bold statement and a pretty ridiculous one too.

A phantom center CAN sound just as good as have a true center channel speaker but it completely depends on the listening environment/setup and the listener.

I've experimented with this a bit in my theater and it always sounds better to me with the center channel in place than with the fronts handling the duties.

To say center channels are scams is going a bit overboard in my opinion.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Dogcow posted:

With the perfect little nook above the fireplace (I don't use it) and the opposite wall blank white and perpendicular, I knew I'd probably never have an apartment more perfect for a projector setup.

The speakers are Energy C-5, I love em, think they're discontinued now though.

Mitsubishi HC4900 (beautiful, black performance is the only real weak point)
NAD C320BEE (with an HDMI auto switch dealie on top)
Completely lovely LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player that has shat itself on 2 different Blu-Ray titles (Sunshine and The Bourne Supremacy, both times with multiple discs tried). It's also incredibly slow, I only got it because I already had Planet Earth on HD-DVD and my 360 HD-DVD died completely (well out of warranty).
Music Hall MMF 2.2 and the little red guy is a tube phono preamp, sounds fantastic

I actually don't even use this screen and was just taking these pictures in order to sell it. The screen was pretty cheap (for a 100") so you can barely tell the difference from just the bare wall (I stupidly bought the screen before moving in), and using the wall it can throw a roughly 120" image.

Watching Planet Earth on a 120" screen is the reason Jesus gave us 1080P. You can just barely see the not-full-height wall from the 1st picture off to the right to give some scale.

That's a nice little setup. Your seating seems a bit close for a 120" screen, though. I am running a 135" now and with my chairs at about 12' it seems a bit close to me. They recommend 14' at the closest for the 135" screen.

It is all subjective though so it comes down to what looks good to you. I am running your projector's little brother...the HC1500. When I got the 1500, it was $749 and the 4900 was $1500. I had a hard decision but haven't regretted it since 99% of the stuff I view isn't available on blu-ray yet.

My next projector will be 1080p and who knows, at that time I may have to try to find a low hour 4900.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Acc-Risk posted:

drat Listen Up had a clearance sale on some Rotel stuff. Picked up an RLC-1040 conditioner, (same as the APC, but with Rotel styling,) and an RDV-1045 that I'm just using as a transport. More convenient than using the PS3 for just a quick audio CD. Also built a Sanus rack. Found out that if you buy a a bunch of the small 5" pieces, and some threaded rod from Home Depot, you can piece the small pieces together and get pretty much create any shelf height you want.

And before someone mentions it, the Sub isn't sitting on that shelf. I'm spiking the sub THROUGH the shelf with 4 holes drilled into it. That way I could have it still there but have it isolated from the rack.

And I got rid of that DLP. Much happier now. Still trying to get a hold of an RMB-1085 to drive the rear channels. That'll take up the last space with the processor.

After a long weekend and many monoprice orders later...

Beautiful equipment.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

GOOCHY posted:

I just wanted to post in here to update on the APC H15 power unit/surge protector. When I posted my setup several pages ago there were a couple of people asking me how I liked it. Well, a few days ago it failed on me in the middle of a movie. Total failure - it wouldn't power up at all, the front LED was flickering and clicking, nothing plugged into it would power up. I called APC and did some very basic plug/unplug troubleshooting and described what it was doing. They agreed that it was hardware failure and setup an RMA for me. That was 4 days ago and today I have a brand new APC H15 sitting in my theater again. The support process was very painless and all of it was based in the United States. While disconcerting that the unit failed this quickly, I'm happy to report that their support is courteous and responds quickly to issues. I'd still recommend the unit to those of you looking for a surge protector/power conditioner to mount in your AV rack.

It's refreshing to hear a story about receiving GOOD support. I'm at a point now where I will pay more or put up with a bit lesser of a product if I know the company behind it is going to give solid support.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Well not so much a picture of my AV setup but a picture of a few of the components that will comprise it. Currently building a house that will be done next month. AV setup will be in the living area. Needed to do either in-wall speakers or something small for WAF and had read good things about the Anthony Gallo speakers. These will be my LCR and looking at doing in-ceiling for the surrounds.

I think I got the steal of the century! Got 3 Anthony Gallo A'Divas off Ebay for $173.

UPS guy just came and I have them hooked up to an old Marantz 2235B testing them out. I'm blown away that a speaker this small with a single driver can sound this good!

I A/B'd them with my Mission 771s and they honestly come fairly close. The 771s play deeper but I'd say the Gallos are right there as far as midrange and highs.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

For what it's worth, when we were home shopping, we saw many homes built in the 90's where people had built ins for either a large CRT or rear projection and then they would have their LCD on a stand in front of the built ins.

It looked absolutely terrible.

Standards change all the time. I certainly wouldn't make a built in for a tv.

Components have pretty much kept the same form factor but then again you have things like blu ray players and gaming systems that are smaller.

If it's your forever home, might be fine but if you plan to sell it someday, I'd keep that in mind.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MMD3 posted:

My thinking I guess was to have everything hidden in drawers (w/ IR repeater or something mounted somewhere) other than the TV and speakers. Component size wouldn't matter if there is a cabinet w/ adjustable shelves in it... even if components all go away in the next ten years you could still use the shelves for other gadgets or cleaning supplies that you want to keep out of sight. The TV hole would be the only thing that would be harder to deal with. I'm still open to the idea of just mounting a tv on the face of a wall like this, I was just hoping to track down any examples of people who have done this slat-wall style. The idea is we have a basement den that has one wall that will be the most obvious for putting a tv on, it's a common wall between the den and the laundry room so it would be easy to cut holes in it to pass cabling through if we needed to. I just thought it would be a nice clean way to build a unique media center w/ everything but the tv being hidden away in drawers/cabinets.

No reason not to do it if you want to for aesthetics. Just keep in mind that components in drawers could have cooling issues unless you implement some active cooling. A lot of people use computer case fans and so forth for that.

I certainly understand the allure of having everything look seamless and "built in" to the home so don't feel like I'm saying don't do it. It is a large reason I'm going with in-ceiling speakers in the living room of my house even though the sound won't be as good as stand alone speakers.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Putting a rug or rubber footings under the stand might dampen the vibration a bit.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MMD3 posted:

are there any strong opinions in this thread on which brands I should be looking to for a TV wall mount? It seems like Sanus has some good ones anybody else I should look at? I'm hoping to have something that is fairly low profile but also has full motion tilt so I can point it towards another room to some degree.

I've had good luck with Omnimount. Had a ceiling mount for my projector from them and an articulating TV mount and both seemed to be high quality. They were a bit more expensive than some other brands though.

In my current house, I have two of these and they are surprisingly great for the $$: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NMFCIA/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, they just tilt down up to 15 degrees. They aren't articulating to allow you to point the TV left or right which it sounds like you need.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

BigFactory posted:

That looks like a good one. Most side-to-side tilt mounts are pretty bulky.

Yeah, in 88h88's defense, I didn't realize they were making nearly flush mount articulating mounts now, either. It used to be that your TV sat at least a couple inches from the wall.

Here's one from Omnimount that's flush/articulating. Looks expensive though:

http://www.omnimount.com/products/tv_wall_mounts/full_motion/ledp75/

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 28, 2014

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MMD3 posted:

ahhh, $135 isn't too bad at all... definitely more than a $30 mount but I understand that articulating mounts are going to cost considerably more than just a tilting wall mount.

It just seems that if you're purchasing a tv that is 3/4" thick now or whatever the current LED's are down to what's the point of a mount that holds it 4"+ from the wall?

Yeah, it's not as expensive as I thought it'd be. However, check the Amazon reviews because some of them said that it sagged with larger TVs. Not sure if those were just people that assembled it half assed or if it has a flaw.

Like I said, I've always found Omnimount to be good quality but who knows.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I ended up moving to in-wall/in-ceiling speakers for aesthetic reasons. I thought I would see a big drop off in audio quality but I am very pleasantly surprised. I was previously running Mission 771s up front.

Equipment list:
Onkyo TX-NR626
Sonance S625T Fronts
Sonance S624TR Rears
Klipsch KW-100 Sub

It's a big open room so I could use more in the LFE department but the Klipsch actually does way better than I thought it would. Being corner loaded helps quite a bit. I like the cleanliness of the install with the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and having the A/V equipment in an adjacent room closet is nice.

Edit:

The rest of the setup. Patio is a JVC 55" running off the 2nd HDMI output from the Onkyo TX-NR626. In-ceiling speakers are Monoprice 8". They do a decent job for the money. The garage has a set of Definitive Technology AW5500. I have the powered zone 2 output from the Onkyo going to a Niles HDS-6 speaker selector which distributes sound to the patio, garage and my office. The office has a set of JBL L100s.

I really wish there was an affordable speaker selector that is controlled wirelessly. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end manually selecting between patio, garage or office when I want to listen to music in those locations.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 10, 2016

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

They do surprisingly well. I think it helps that it's a tall ceiling so they aren't right on top of you.

I do get a sense at times that the sound is coming from overhead but not often and with the open layout, conventional rears just weren't possible.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the Sonance Syphonys.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I'm running a phantom center (no center) and honestly, I think I prefer it. My previous setup was Mission 771 fronts and 77c center and the center overpowered things.

Unfortunately, the layout of the house/room dictates the TV being above the fireplace. It isn't ideal but I've gotten used to it. Most of the time I'm fully reclined so I'm not having to look up. The next house we build will have a dedicated theater.

I'll have to look at the sonos amps. I agree that sound quality is not paramount in locations other than the main listening area. The Def Tech speakers in the garage are overkill. I had them given to me or I'd have just done monoprice in ceiling speakers there as well. I like having control over volume and source with the Only I android app and wish I could control output destination as well.

Edit: I stumbled across a thing! Wifi android app control of speaker selector:

http://www.33snowflakes.com/blog/arduino-android-speaker-selector/

How cool is that?

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 11, 2016

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The builder installed the patio mount in that location. I could move it down but then I'd have holes in the masonry. I'm used to it I guess from the living room tv. :)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

It would have to be a mount that extends out from the wall around 12" to clear the mantle and then extends down. Is there such a beast?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Pretty awesome. May have to pick one up. $400 is pretty steep, though. Yikes.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I just ran 50 foot hdmi cables from my equipment closet to tv locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

You have nice things. For ultimate WAF, find a closet or corner of the basement and put all your equipment there and run cat6 and speaker wire to your TV locations. This is assuming you have access to do so.

I have a single story with an attic so it was a breeze. Having everything tucked away out of sight is nice, especially now that I have a 2 month old. She'll be in "Ohhh shiny button thingies that I must smash my booger infested fingers on" mode soon. The Wife likes having things out of the living room as well.

Plus then you can start looking at whole home video distribution and whole home audio and get way too invested in it like I have.