Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Big L posted:

I present to you my mismatched color DIY A/V Setup!

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch Plasma
Floor Speakers: Klipch KG4
Center Speaker: Klipsch KG2.2V
Receiver: Marantz NR1403 Slim Line
Gaming/Media: PS3 and Xbox 360

The TV stand is comprised of two IKEA Lack's modded together. And the speaker stands are cinder blocks glued together with liquid nails and spray painted black. I live in an apartment, so I opted against getting a sub-woofer for now since I am not an inconsiderate jerk-off.

Those speakers throw out more sub bass than your average retail store bought subwoofer anyways. Have you run any calibration on it yet ? What are your impressions ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I too have just finished (well, mostly finished) my Dedicated theatre. I cant figure out how to generate bbcode from an album on imgur, so I will just post the link.

http://imgur.com/a/WxsVX

Equipment is:

Mustang 106" retractable screen 1.0 gain
Optoma HD33 1080p 3D projector
Onkyo TX NR 818 11.2 receiver
Klipsch Reference RF3/RC3/RS3 speakers
Sony 3d Bluray player
Boxee Box for streaming
Xbox 360 for gaming
Canadian Tire $21 modular rack for equipment

Room is 11' wide by 16' deep with the back opening to the bar/entertaining room.

To do:
Reclining leather couch on the way from sears, backordered
Rear seating row Riser
install door for equipment room (on left)
Logitech ir emitter for devices
Center channel stand
6 pairs of active 3d glasses oh gently caress jesus better tell the ol' lady to take on more shifts at work
Subwoofers: Can't decide on dual Rythmik FV12's or a single Rythmik FV15hp.
Popcorn machine

Ol' Lady says we should black out the drop ceiling tiles. Wife acceptance factor doesn't apply in this house. She also says we should do dual Tuba HT subs stacked in the corner.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Big L posted:

I don't know what's more amazing - Your bad-rear end home theater or the fact that you've found a spouse that not only supports but fully encourages extravagant A/V setups. Either way you're a very fortunate individual to have hit both of those jackpots.

It helps to have a large finished basement. If I was piling all of this poo poo into a living room she wouldn't be very happy. A dedicated room really allows you to place function over form though. Also, getting her involved in the design and fabrication of things helps. If she wasn't cutting fabric and stapling and picking out furniture I am sure she wouldn't be able to care less.

Another cool thing, I showed her some demo's on youtube of before and after acoustic room treatments and what it does to echos. She got angry at the pricing for panels and declared that she's going to build panels herself. We will probably be doing 4" thick 24" wide square panels. The thin stuff makes a difference but anything less than 4" thick and you're just removing hi frequency without touching low frequency.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dreesemonkey posted:

Fuuuuuck that's a sweet looking room.

I think that would look nice. Maybe paint the projector cover a satin black or something as well? You probably don't notice it while watching stuff but since you mentioned blacking out the ceiling that's all I can see, haha. Looks good, though!

The one above mine looks great. Those corner trims and the lighting. Mine is kind of all business. I don't have the craftsmanship to make moldings and trim pieces like that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Snapped some photos of the nearly completed theater room.

Forgot to turn on the bar lights for this photo

Still need to install a door to the left of the front stage.

Building two LLT Sonosubs with 18" drivers as well. Just waiting on delivery of the drivers. Winisd estimates 104db at 10hz open space for each enclosure at 1meter with 600watts. In my room, should be flat to 10hz with EQ both subs combined, at reference level.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AzCoug posted:

Good looking picture and sounds like you'll have a nice sound system. The one thing that did catch my eye was the light color cabinet to the right of the screen. Seems like it might be a little distracting.

In that cabinet is the breaker box for the house. I'm eventually going to tear that whole thing out and use something cleaner looking. Moving the breaker box isn't really an option though. The walls in that room are too bright and shiny as well. Probably going to paint it a dark red. The ceiling needs to be dark as well, but I don't have time to paint the room at the moment.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm very confused at the suspended ceiling and the 2nd floor above it, unless the 2nd floor doesn't go into that area?

Also 18" drivers at 10hz? I really wish I could get away with that with the warden. When she's home I usually have to turn off my 10" Dynasty when I start turning up the volume.

edit: you talking something like this? :stare:

Confused how ? It's a T-bar ceiling. The kitchen is above it. This is a bungalow style house. Ground level main floor and then a basement. If people stomp about upstairs, it shakes the projector slightly. Noise is carried upstairs as well, but really only directly above.

The enclosure you posted is exactly what I am building, except skinnier, and shorter, and two of them. Also they will be sanded and finished, probably semi-gloss black.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

walumachoncha posted:

I hope you wear depends when listening to hip hop. That is an insane amount of air being moved.

Originally I was going to go with 2 tapped horns, but I'm not confident in my interpretation of the measurements for the enclosures. They're complex as far as an enclosure goes. 8 sheets of plywood gets expensive versus an $80 12' section of Sonotube.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451519/lilmikes-lilwrecker

HipHop doesn't really have much low frequency content. Most of the bass is in the 50hz to 200hz region. Some dubstep and the like dips down a bit further. Movies have content very low though. Down to 5hz for some movies. Max loudness isn't my goal. Accurate and clean sound reproduction is. Large drivers controlled by lots of watts with a high damping factor is what gives you that clean accurate sound.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 22, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Ah, Ok. I've never seen suspension ceiling in a house, but we don't have basements where I live either.

For whatever reason, it's really really common with home theaters. It certainly made wiring easy for me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you considered using a vertical rack for your AV gear that is out of the way ? There really is no point to having all your gear under the TV. A mounted TV with the center speaker underneath on a pedestal stand, and the L&R speakers with nothing more in view looks pretty classy.

Then the AV rack goes off to the corner, or even behind the seating area. For my parents setup I did floating glass shelves that the gear sits on, with the cords cleanly routed and bundled. With a vertical rack you could get away with a single hdmi going to the tv, and it could be hidden at the wall trim, then ran up the wall up to the tv with a pain matched conduit, or fished up behind the drywall and then out behind the tv.

For example:

The only difference is you just point your remote off to the side to control stuff, or you get an IR repeater. My components aren't even in the same room.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't want to be "that guy" but could we move this discussion to the htpc and/or xbmc threads, and start posting our badass sound systems again ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Weeeee!, got my binding posts in. Now I can wire up the drivers.

Its strange to me that shipping from parts express was $30 but shipping from Hong Kong is free.

The subs are 12ft^3 ported enclosures with 18" drivers. The enclosures are tuned to 15hz for a good balance of extension and efficiency. In room with some EQ they should be flat down to 10hz or so, at over 115db.

Powering them with a behringer inuke 3000 class D amp. Each driver will be seeing around 650 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.

Total price $150 to build the enclosures, $550 for the drivers shipped, $380 for the amp, another $50 for misc stuff.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 24, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's really nice having a clean slate when designing an entertainment room like that. Since you already have drywall in, consider using floor trim that will allow you to hide wire under it. That way you can run wires to the surrounds without showing them. Consider a t-bar/drop ceiling. It makes wiring in pot lights of your choice, projector, extra speakers etc much easier. You will want carpet or at least a big wide rug between your seating area and the front soundstage.

I highly recommend the Onkyo 709. It's got a good solid amp with lots of reserves (it does close to 90 watts per channel with 5 channels driven) and is 4 ohm stable and meets THX requirements. The calibration it uses (MultiEQ XT) is the second best available, and is the basic setup that IMAX uses for their theater calibrations.

Are you planning to keep that TV or are you going with a projector setup ? In either case, one thing I wish I had done before I set up my front stage, was to build a false wall, and put the speakers behind it.

The false wall can be constructed of 2x2 pine board. You build a frame, paint it flat black, and then cover each section by wrapping black spandex over it. The spandex is acoustically transparent, allowing you to hide your speakers behind it. The middle section of the wall can either be the projector screen (Use a double layer of white spandex, or a white front and silver rear layer) with the center channel in the middle of the screen behind it, or build a frame to hold the TV, with the center channel just below it.

Essentially what you get is a screen in a wall, with no distracting speakers. Place your gear (receiver, xbox, bluray player, HTPC etc) on a rack behind the viewing area, or, build a closet to house all the gear. It's pretty classy looking to have nothing but a view screen, with big sound seeming to come from the picture, not speakers infront of it.

As for colours, Home theaters always seem to look good with crimson or dark red walls, with black trim, and black furniture. You will want to avoid white walls, or any light colour. Same goes for the floor and ceiling. The light will reflect off any light surface and kill off your contrast.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, false wall should be light weight and easy to move. Often its just a frame, and then you put the speakers behind it, and then use fabric panels that just Velcro into place.

To dampen reflections off the floor, I got a shape shag rug from Costco. It was $80 or so.

Also check out auralex acoustic treatments. They have studio style sound absorbers that could be used on the walls to get rid of echo. They don't cost much. You can get similar products off eBay for even cheaper. If you want to spend a bit more, consider GIK Acoustics.

A small budget on sound treatments will go a long way in a reflective room like that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Avsforum.com and search for false wall in the forums. Should be a few examples of construction.

The only difference is that they generally are used with a projector screen. Since you're using a TV, you would make yours with an opening. I would even consider covering up the TV frame so its only the screen, but that's just a thought.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

You're nuts. For 700, that sub had better do 20Hz at reference volume with <1% THD.

edit: That sub is 140 lbs according to the manufacturer's website.

That sub is dual opposed 15" drivers. In room it will go below 15hz.

For something you can purchase ready to run, its one of the top 5 subs you can buy for under $1500.

Equal in performance to the Elemental Designs stuff, or the Rythmik FV15.

The Captivator and Submersive subs outperform it, but they're like $2500.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jink posted:

Not sure where the hate on audio equipment came from. Sub woofers are one of the most important aspects of home theaters and is where most of the money and time should be spent. The sub frequencies are also the most difficult to achieve good results with since the sound waves are slow enough to be affected by the room.

I guess this is a great time to introduce my setup. Be warned; I spent money to get good sound!

- Samsung 64" D7000 Plasma
- Onkyo 3008
- Boston Acoustics VR975
- Boston Acoustics VR12 Center Channel
- Boston Acoustics Bravo Surrounds
- SVS PC12-NSD

The best photo I have until I get my 3008 back from repair:

Now, why did I spend that much money on equipment? I have been optimizing my room for even bass response. What I have achieved is nothing short of incredible for a relatively little amount of money. With my 3 subs I am able to achieve a good bass response down to 15hz:

This might not look impressive, but the above frequency response is without any EQ correction (Audyssey or parametric EQ) or room treatments. There are no room mode issues disrupting the response. I have a MiniDSP waiting to correct the dips and peaks and I am hoping achieve a response that is +/- 3db:

I dont think anyone is hating on the equipment. I think Killhour just wasn't familiar with that model of sub and was skeptical of its performance versus price.
What are you using for measurements and which program to display the output ? I use REW for my plots and measurements.

Also, are you using 3 SVS subs ? I'm curious what audessey can do with them without the use if the mini-dsp. Any results without the DSP ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oops, that is REW.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would go the false wall route. The false wall could also be the projector screen. Its as easy as using 2x2 lumber and stretching spandex from the fabric store over it.

Either use in wall speakers, or if possible, build a wall deep enough to put your existing speakers into it, hang your projector screen overtop and enjoy your 100" + screen without any speakers showing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kloa posted:

Living like poo poo in my new apartment (will get to tidying cables up eventually):

Really need a center speaker for dialog when playing certain shows/movies.

Hello fellow Ashley sectional buddy! I have that couch in my living room. Its held up well after 1.5 years. It smelled off when we first got it though. That went away within a couple weeks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LoL I paid closer to $1400 for mine, but you don't really get a choice this far north. There is also a matching circular rotating love seat sort of thing you can get.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I had a condo I had the TV mounted high up like that. You just end up reclining differently to stay comfy. I do think that the left n right speakers are separated too far though. That will be fine for music, but its excessive for movies.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't envision exactly what you want, however I would look into Ikea's wall system that you mount, and then have modular units that can be changed around. Custom cabinets scare me because the A/V center of a home is always changing every few years, and people often want to upgrade and then are limited by their shelves.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
MMD3,

Whatever you decide, run your ideas by us. Its fun to play audio video dress up with other peoples money.

I really like the idea of a minimalist a/v setup. Where you have a display on the wall, and some nice lighting in the room, but no visible speakers, cords or components. Lots of furniture have built in remote and game controller drawers.

My setup has no visible components. They're all on a closet off the main room. I used a cheap 5 shelf polymer home depot garage shelf thing as an equipment rack. Allows easy access and is modular with room for anything.

I made my runs in the ceiling for the surrounds etc.

My speakers are too large to hide, but you could do in wall speakers. There are also plenty of very good high efficiency quality speakers in wall mountable bookshelf form. The subwoofer can be placed in a corner somewhere out if view or used as a corner table. If you don't want to go big on bass, you could always install tactile shakers in your furniture.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A 420 horsepower 8 speed luxury KIA is a reasonable solution for his home theater design questions. Not comedy at all!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Klipsch also has in ceiling stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Surround speakers go beside you, not behind you. I would mount the surrounds at the rear corners of the room pointing at the seating location, about 2/3rds of the way up to the ceiling. While not perfect, its not so bad as to be not worth doing.

On a side note, the sectional vouch is kind of a waste for that room. If you haven't purchased one yet, I would go for a normal couch, possibly with recliners.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dale Meets Wall posted:

Well I guess I'll finally post what I have so far. I've been building this it'system since late March and it's definitely a budget system. Everything is new(ish) except the TV. I've been using this forum for help and suggestions so I can't thank everyone enough. I'm done for now (until a sub goes on sale.)

42" LG TV
Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver
2x Pioneer SP-BS22 bookshekves for fronts
Pioneer SP-C22 center channel
PS3
HTPC I just finished building and getting windows/xbmc installed on today
It's nothing crazy, kind big but only cost $187 to build.

I built the speaker stands myself and I know they look huge, but those will eventually be used as surrounds so I didn't want to make stands twice.

Picture is from my iPhone so quality isn't great.

Nice simple setup. I cant stand the center channel off to the side like that, visually but then again I'm a psycho. One problem, having your right channel beside the wall like that is going to do some weird stuff with certain frequencies. That speaker will also be 3db louder than the other one due to boundary gain. Make sure you have the system calibrate your channel volumes. If you cant move the setup away from the wall, consider putting up some sort of absorbing material.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AzCoug posted:

Trying to figure out the best way to set this up. The yellow tape is a 65" TV while the green is a 60". I like the 65" better but I don't know if the center channel speaker at the bottom would be too close to the floor. It is about 19" off the floor to the center of the speaker. I could put it above the TV but didn't know if that would be too close to the ceiling and cause distortion etc (The top of that vent is basically the ceiling).

The center channel will be fine down low. I run a 106" screen with the center sitting about where your's is, I don't even have it angled up and voices seem to come front the center of the screen.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Legdiian posted:

I'm sitting about 10' from my 106" screen (projection) and it's glorious

For a month or so. I sit the same distance from my 106" and currently considering changing walls and going to a 140" with speakers behind.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Legdiian posted:

Really? Even the 106 was overwhelming for me the first week or so. I felt like my eyes were darting around the screen constantly. Although now I'm kind of used to it and was thinking 120... but I don't want a screen with holes in it ;)

I'm using spandex, front layer white, rear layer silver. No visible holes, acoustically transparent. My new speaker setup will not be visually appealing. Just flat black MDF so I'd rather hide it.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers/88-special/88special-kit.html

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

status posted:

So I went the ghetto route for now. The speakers are just resting on top of my couch until I can get some speaker stands or mounts.

It certainly has come a long way since last November: http://imgur.com/a/cXzcK

Stuff:
Panasonic P50S60
Pioneer VSX-823-K
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Pioneer SP-C22
Polk PSW10
Polk T15
Apple TV 3
PS3
This TV antenna (I live down the street from the CN Tower yet I get channels from Buffalo with less chop than local stuff. Dumb)
Some random Gateway laptop that overheats when I'm trying to watch Spiderman
Ethernet switch to connect everything but the TV to my home network
Some random IKEA TV stand
Some random couch I got brand new FOR FREE (+$100 UHAUL rental) from my friend's rich lazy parents

I'm pretty happy with it now. All that's left is speaker stands and cable raceways or whatever they're called to hide my rear speaker wires since they're currently inside my couch and taped to the floor. I am very afraid my couch is going to catch fire or my robot vacuum will rip the taped down bits up and pull my rear right off the couch and make me cry

Put the surrounds at the upper corners of the room angled down towards the couch. They will sound better at a distance. Remember these are not rear speakers, they're surrounds and are meant to be almost lateral to you, slightly behind.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What kind of light leak are you getting? I've been thinking of switching to spandex.

Haven't tested it yet as I am dealing with some stuff before the screen goes in. Not sure how to compare it, but others have measured the above dual layer spandex at roughly .9 gain.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I found with the hemnes stuff, the equipment fits, but the cords sticking out the back of the receiver don't.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Photex posted:

good thing it's particle board and you're a man who owns a sawzall right?

I used it for floating shelves.These days I use ugly "pro audio" stuff that gets hidden in a closet on a home depot modular plastic rack.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Onkyo's from that era are like Ford 6.0L diesels, from that era. Good on paper.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nah, it looks cool and could be dimmed during the movie. I would extend the lighting behind your display for that black level trick CRT makers don't want you to know about.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I also have an ashley sectional. I've owned it about 4 years and it's held up very very well. Bang for the buck they're a great buy, And when I get home from work and relax on it, I pretty much instantly get tired.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kloa posted:

People give Ashley a lot of poo poo but I too bought a sectional from them in 2012. I slept on it for a week straight after buying it because it was so comfy, and it's still going strong.

Yup, thats mine also. 3 of us have the same couch.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kloa posted:

goons actually watch 3D movies? in their homes?? :pusheen:

I do... They're great once the screen sizes get bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
While i've been able to hear the difference sometimes between dolby digital and DTS 1500kbps, I've never been able to hear dts 1500kbps to the higher bitrate encoding.