Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I have a bit of something in my head that's either in the chorus or the ending of a song.

Style is kind of late 60's early 70's British psychadelic-tinged rock.

This is a rough guess at it, using Musipedia format : f''4 f''8. f''16 g''16 f''8. f''4 . About 80 bpm. I'm more confident about the rhythm being closer than the notes.

I don't think I've ever known the proper lyrics, but it might be something like "We're in another land, another land", but I have a feeling I'm way wrong. Although if you imagined the Rolling Stones "In Another Land" ending with a chorus of people singing "We're in another land" that'd be sort of what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Heard this coming from a passing car, and I wonder if it's a newer song or one I can't remember. It's a repeated piano sample, 8 notes + 1 on the same tone, followed by 7 notes a step lower, with the notes going by at least 160 bpm or faster. I'm pretty sure the piano part has been used on This American Life, but I think the song I heard had more than just piano, and maybe a sort of hip-hop beat behind it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There was a Conan bit (or possibly some other late-night show) that I saw that kept using a piece of a song. It had kind of a smooth boy band sound, maybe autotuned a capella or synth-backed. It was possibly just the intro to the song, as they only used a few seconds.

I think the lyrics were something like "Oh, say what you wanna do".

VVVV That's it, thanks!

Kangra fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 6, 2015

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I heard this playing in the background at a fast food place, so it was probably satellite radio or Muzak or similar. A male singer, kind of 'intensely emotional' type of song. The lyrics had 'mountain' in them, and at one point something that may have been, "I drove my car out in the rain". Mostly rock guitar, sounding a little like early U2 but this was almost certainly 90's or later. A bit of the melody reminded me of the chorus of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", if it were sped up and altered.

The song that played right before was "It's a Shame About Ray" and right after it was "The Best Day of My Life" or whatever that currently popular one is called, so it could probably be from any point in between.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

calicokitty posted:

This has the mountain and the bit in the verse that's a bit like "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Might be it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnAxOQxQIU

No, I would have recognized that one. Although I never knew that the title was "Truly, Madly, Deeply" so thanks for that at least.

The one I heard had fairly prominent guitar, and sounded a little like (more recent) Third Eye Blind now that I think about it. But it's probably not a Third Eye Blind song.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

DrTempest posted:

With the exception of the "mountain" lyric, it sounds like Runaway Train by Soul Asylum.

Not Runaway Train, either. It's a bit harder and slightly more up-tempo than that. It did have kind of a 90's sound from how I've described it, but I feel it might be more recent, if only because if it were older I'd likely have recognized it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

After listening to a few songs, I would almost think the one I was looking for was "Tear in My Heart" by Twenty One Pilots. Except that I really don't remember the slower/quieter parts. Then again, it was fairly noisy and hard to hear in the place. Are there similar songs by them that it could be? I tried a few but the ones I heard had some reggae/rap-influenced bits, and I know that wasn't it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I heard this at a cafe but couldn't quite get much of it since a crowd of talking people walked right in about halfway through the song.

It had a driving beat, about 140 bpm and I think the lyrics might have been something like, "a hero tries[?] to ? ? ?".
It was probably a 1970's or 80's song -- it had a more upbeat 80's sound, and the station (probably XM or some such) also played "Rich Girl" and "Lyin' Eyes" while I was there.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 25, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No, it was definitely a male singer. It sounded like something that could have been on the Iron Eagle soundtrack (though the song I heard was a bit more gritty than most of those). It may well have been used for a montage at some point.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

I swear this is from some Chevy Chase movie and it's killing me:

The only lyrics sound something like "All the way... All the way... All the way", but it's sung pretty deep and sounds vaguely African so it might not even be english. There's a guitar strumming some pretty upbeat chords in sort of a choppy way. From what I remember it's a song that plays after the comes to a realization and makes his peace with something. Wish I could be more specific.

I can hear this poo poo in my head day and night but I can't come up with any way of identifying it other than looking at the soundtracks of various 70s/80s/90s movies that I would have seen on TV as a kid and hoping to find it.

I don't know about the movie, but could the 'all the way' be 'Wimoweh'? That would probably be the Weavers version, since it doesn't have any other words. The later 'Lion Sleeps Tonight' of course has more lyrics. The original 'Mbube' has a few other words, and the original is probably too old for the movie, but there was a version by Ladysmith Black Mambazo that could fit.

Wimoweh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77VUYPVMtWY

Mbube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJF87m4_k88

Kangra
May 7, 2012

burritonegro posted:

What's the song that's being teased by this keyboard solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHuQuYyOBM&t=69s

Runaway by Del Shannon (specifically the electric keyboard solo around a minute in).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S13mP_pfEc

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Any chance of it being Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds? It's the whole band, and not quite a mountain-top, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIQo1OHkTI

I'm trying to figure out the name of a song that's being used in a commercial recently, and I've heard used in movies/TV before but never really paid attention to the lyrics. The song is very toe-tapping and bouncy. Probably from the 1970s. I thought I heard the words 'handle' and maybe rhymed with 'candle'. The first few notes (tonally) roughly match 'Bang a Gong'.

The commercial it's in is for some crap food chain restaurant, I think, maybe selling baked potatoes? I heard it from another room but the song under it was immediately recognizable.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Figured it out: "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates. Don't know about the commercial, but don't really care.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I heard this song playing at a Goodwill and they had the video on the monitor so I can describe that too. It was probably a minor hit from the 90s or later (other songs played on the channel were "Rhythm Nation", Gary Numan's "Cars", and "Smells Like Teen Spirit").

The one I'm looking for was vaguely melancholy/uplifting rock-pop. I think the lyrics might have included something about "now I know" or "I'm beginning to understand". I realized it sounded a bit like something Brandon Flowers might do (but like most things he sounds like, probably predates him, and it's definitely not him).

The video was mostly just the band on stage, but I think they had audience shots too. It actually looked more like they filmed most of it in a studio but pretended it was a live show by cutting in the footage. I think it was all in black & white but the color on the monitor was pretty washed out. The lead singer was a young white guy, and he had kind of a full babyish face.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

Yeah, neither of those. I realize how worthless that description is. Especially since I tried to Google around this morning and found a bunch of similar songs. One male singer, up tempo but not a positive vibe, the bass was real fuzzy, the horns were used kind of like punctuation, there was a section where the drums were doing kind of a pitch shifting thing. Sounded almost industrial without the horns.

Possible bands to consider : The Jam (can't think of anything with horns punctuating it), The Specials (strong reggae influence), or Fishbone (funky American style).

Another shot with a popular song: BIg Audio Dynamite's "Rush" (rhythm-heavy, but no real horns, and has a very weird middle section)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8zs898lr4

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Another one heard at a noisy cafe, so I couldn't catch any lyrics, just some of the music. One bit of it was very reminiscent of 'go wild, wild, wild' in "Cum on Feel the Noize", but the singers were women. It had a 1960s slightly Motown sound to it; another part of it made me think of "I Only Want to Be With You".

Played on what was probably a 60s to 80s station.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

precision posted:

Are you sure it wasn't the Tourists' version of "I Only Wanna Be With You"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsTIuNikq4w

No, it resembled the style of Dusty Springfield, but not really the melody. I was able to catch that it was almost certainly 1970s — in fact, it was Sirius '70s on 7'. I don't know if they publish playlists, but it would have been this Sunday ~ evening UTC.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Erebus posted:

You can use this site to see recently played songs on the '70s on 7 station, but they're only listed by "x days ago" and not time. So you'd have to do some scrolling and hopefully remember something else that was played around the same time.

This got it for me, since I knew that 'Me & Julio Down by the Schoolyard' played some time after it.

The song is "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" and the style is a not quite as Motown as I thought it was. Also, many of the singers were men as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSNSTerj2Kc

e: That midi song sounds like it could be Styx, but Night Ranger seems close too. Definitely of that era or a throwback to it.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 16, 2018

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Blood Nightmaster posted:

So I heard a song too far away to Shazam this morning; the chorus consists mostly of the word "please" in a drawn out, harmonized falsetto by a male singer. So more like "Pleee-EEEeeEEEeeeEEeeaaase"--the capital Es being sung higher. It was in the style of like, a Frankie Valli song? Probably wasn't actually Frankie Valli, I just got Who Loves You vibes from it

The only other lyrics I could hear were something like "I want you, I need you" right before the last chorus but the number of songs that include all three of those lyrics make trying to Google it useless :(

Chris Isaak's "Somebody's Crying" maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWqjBWb6lX4

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I’m looking for this pop or alternative song that has a bright sounding piano intro. It’s a bit heavy on this piano sound throughout the song, and kind of reminds me of the wii sports resort theme. I think at some point the singer repeats a couple of “take me now, take me now” although the word “take” could be “hold” or “love” maybe. I feel like the album cover had a small boat on it and the artist name maybe had a Z. But I could be way off on those last two clues.

I’ve been creating iTunes stations with MGMT, Zedd, and a few others to try to catch it, but I’ve been unsuccessful.

Everything but the clues about the album and artist suggest Natalie Merchant/10000 Maniacs' cover of "Because the Night".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKbP0L9qcE

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Or Am I the Same Girl?, but "Soulful Strut" is the more famous 'cover'/instrumental reinterpretation.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Robokomodo posted:

Lookin for a rap song, 99% sure its KRS-1

Some of the verse (paraphrased) is “I’m not a rap n****, I’m not a crack n****, I’m the type to whip and snap and break your back, n****”

Google isn’t giving me any luck. But I’m certain it’s KRS.

Pretty sure most of the song has the above internal rhyme scheme

Doesn't really fit, but as a long shot, maybe Immortal Technique's Reverse Pimpology (he's kind of similar to KRS-one) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_PfXEyCoWY

At around 2:50 is the lyric: "I'm not a crack rapper, I'm not a back packer, I'm not a wack rapper moonlighting as a bad actor"

I'm guessing the beat hits are on 'rap', 'crack' for your lines?

Kangra fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 9, 2018

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I have two that I'm trying to figure out:

The first is somewhat well-known and I know I've heard it quite often, but never knew the name. It's from the 70s or late 60s at earliest, kind of a soul sound with an upbeat, positive vibe. My only clue is that the melody reminds me a lot of "The Muffin Man" (kid's song) if it were something like "Do you know the muffin man, the muffin man?" To clarify those aren't the lyrics at all, just the rhythm and almost the melody. I think the actual lyrics about peace or love or something similarly socially positive.

The second is maybe more obscure but probably more recent; I heard it at a cafe near a university. It was 5 notes repeated Philip-Glass style (electronic tones like a piano), and a female vocalist, but it wasn't clear if she was singing a cohesive song or just phrases. I thought it was the sound system but I think her voice is intentionally mixed to be difficult to hear. I think some of the words might have been 'you can go home' or 'you can go on' but I'm pretty shaky on it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

"The Rubberband Man" was exactly it. Never knew it was just about a guy who's going to play the rubberband for you.

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Long shot on the second one, Marie Therese - When you come home ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg1nWG7eN-A

No, and not EMA either. What I heard was much more minimalist. EMA is close for the voice, but all the songs I've found from her have too much noise/fuzz in them to be it. The five-note pattern was repeated for at least a minute or more and likely the entire song.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I didn't find it in a quick scan, but maybe the "Girl Meets World" one is in this soundtrack to Barbie: The Princess & Popstar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3veU7Ctne1Y

Not quite the same singer on the songs I heard, but close in style. Maybe another one of those movies has it. I doubt the lyrics would be posted.

More of the lyrics are:
-ready for the big world,
Oooh, I'm excited, get ready for this girl
'cause here I go!
['Let's go, the ??'s in my ?? or 'It's time to live in my head?']
It's up to me to figure it out...

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Robokomodo posted:

Looking for a song that sounds exactly like Separate Ways by Journey. I have a co-worker that thinks that Journey song was in a movie from the 80’s. The more I think about it the more I think he’s right. We might be both witnessing some Mandela Effect though. Or can someone identify the movie if we’re actually right?

We think it was in a sort of sports training montage, similar to a Rocky scene.

My guess: Far From Over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAv500Q6bfA

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is there a song by Manchester Orchestra (or an act that sounds similar, in the vein of Fleet Foxes) that has a duet with a male voice and a soprano female voice? I heard the end of the song while in a bathroom at a coffee shop. The place is attached to a church so it's possibly a Christian group. I'm not really familiar with Manchester Orchestra's work, I just know the Leave No Trace trailer song and it was that sort of style. The song I heard possibly had strings, or synth-strings in it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Probably not Belle and Sebastian, it didn't sound like her voice.

I found what I think it could be: Manchester Orchestra & Julien Baker covering "Bad Things to Such Good People". I just remember there being a little less mingling of the vocal lines together and don't recall hearing a piano; could just be the difference in hearing it on my computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1upJ1ZkoTmA

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is a song I heard playing at a supermarket, and I couldn't really get much of it. It had a driving beat and kind of a Celtic/Irish folk sound. The singer sounded female.

I think the lyrics may have mentioned '64' at some point. And possibly '59' but I'm less confident about that. There may have been something about time in there, maybe 'when this happens' or 'the morning'.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No, not that one (which I'd recognize, if not necessarily by name). It's kind of the right style, though. The vocals were not as strong or clear, but it did have the kind of full arrangement. Thinking on it, it almost made me think of the verses in Queen's '39 (but less jangly).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This was a soft rock song, and sounds a bit like The Eagles "Best of My Love", but probably came a little after it. I think there's some lyrics about 'calling you' or 'your number' in the early verses. (No it's not "Rikki Don't Lose That Number". I'd call it more flaccid than either of the two songs I mentioned.)

I heard this song played live as I was leaving the farmer's market, so it's presumably popular enough to be in the repertoire of the musical acts that would play those.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No. It didn't rock even as hard as that. Thanks, though, since I never knew who sang that song.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't think it's "Telephone Line", but that did make me think for a second that maybe I hadn't listened closely. Lyrically it must be close to it. Or maybe it was cover so sloppy I didn't catch it. I doubt it, since they'd just played a pretty decent version of 'Let It Be'.

Abel Wingnut posted:

is it yachty or more soft rock?

I'd say more soft rock. Although I have heard it before, I can't be sure I recall the full arrangement from hearing it on the guitar the guy was playing.

For some reason I associate the song with stuff like 'Escape', but probably because it has the vibe of either divorce or infidelity, not due to musical style.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

maybe a fleetwood mac song? something off of tusk? i'd explore whatever 70s la-based am gold you can find

ok, actually listening to this eagles song. kind of reminds me of the doobies' 'south city lady'

I'm starting to think there's a good chance it's a Bread song. I listened to "Make It With You" and "Lost Without Your Love" and it could possibly have been one of them. The memory of the exact song I heard is starting to fade at this point.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Does anyone know of a song with the lyrics "Buy it now"? It was played during this week's episode of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, very briefly. I think some of the other words were 'this offer won't last forever' but there was talking over it. It happened in this week's episode with Aaron Gordon at around 10-11 min., which I would link, but unfortunately the radio music and podcast music is not the same, so listening to that will not help you identify it unless you heard the on-air broadcast.

It sounded kind of folky, and might be a parody of "Both Sides Now" but I wouldn't say that for certain.

(And no it's not Soft Cell's "Persuasion" or Paul Westerberg's "Jingle").

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Kangra posted:

This was a soft rock song, and sounds a bit like The Eagles "Best of My Love", but probably came a little after it. I think there's some lyrics about 'calling you' or 'your number' in the early verses. (No it's not "Rikki Don't Lose That Number". I'd call it more flaccid than either of the two songs I mentioned.)

I heard this song played live as I was leaving the farmer's market, so it's presumably popular enough to be in the repertoire of the musical acts that would play those.

Answering my own question from a bit back, but thanks to the Yacht Rock HoF special I realized this was Todd Rundgren's "Hello It's Me".

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Seems too obvious, but it's not "Story of a Girl" by ninedays is it? I just imagine that would show up on a Third Eye Blind channel. Album art is kind of desaturated so the band might appear darker than in person.

Another possibility is Eagle-Eye Cherry, kind of a raspy boyish voice, and he's mixed-race. Not sure about a song that fits, though.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 1, 2018

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Not really a song per se, but what kind of music / opera/ chant is being sung during the sequence from 28:30 to 31:15 of the following video? Ignore the geekiness please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL0fomETpZg&t=1715s

It's kind of drawing on European music from the 14-16th Century, when polyphony was starting to become the rage. That tends to be a soaring melody without harmony/accompaniment, at least in sacred music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3v9unphfi0

The style and sound is also somewhat 'far North European'; it could be kind of Gaelic/Scandinavian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLUY_WLMQoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdoSLp8AzFI

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Jazz Marimba posted:

got two

Four in the floor dance music, but with accordion. The accordion seemed like it was actually performed by a person. Was at a bar and other tunes on the station were Moby, Massive Attack, etc.

Most famous one for the accordion is Stereo Love, though it could be another one by Edward Maya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2nBvtkgyE

It's been sampled in other places, most likely: the original song is Bayatilar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSuRaYaaUR8

Kangra fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is there a John Darnielle song (or someone who sounds like him) that has a line to the effect of "we believe what we see on TV"? Those may not be the exact words. I heard a bit of this but didn't recognize it.