Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Aye, you can see the device identifying itself to the host OS, and then immediately getting a storm of resets.

If it's an old drive it may very well be horribly out of spec by drawing too much current. I remember a ton of those drives would come with a weird breakout cable to connect to two usb connections at once so they could draw more current. Mechanical drives need much more current when they are spinning up than what USB 2.0 allows them to draw.

This is admittedly a shot in the dark but I have seen behaviour very much like this before. You can still try a different kernel and definitely try out a different cable, but it screams hardware to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Aye, you can see the device identifying itself to the host OS, and then immediately getting a storm of resets.

If it's an old drive it may very well be horribly out of spec by drawing too much current. I remember a ton of those drives would come with a weird breakout cable to connect to two usb connections at once so they could draw more current. Mechanical drives need much more current when they are spinning up than what USB 2.0 allows them to draw.

This is admittedly a shot in the dark but I have seen behaviour very much like this before. You can still try a different kernel and definitely try out a different cable, but it screams hardware to me.

Yeah, I still have some of those cables, and I think an external drive or two that require them. I swear I've seen hardware other than drives that had the power/data dual-plug thing, too, but my mind is drawing a blank on examples. Some hubs, maybe?

tjones
May 13, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

Any recommendations for a ~1TB external drive you can plug in via usb and just use as a normal flash drive?

I bought a handful of cheap 2.5" external enclosures off amazon a long time ago and now recycle out old laptop drives by replacing the smaller capacity ones with larger capacity ones as I go. I have a stack of old drives that are wiped clean and waiting that can be swapped into an enclosure in a few seconds if I need to throw something on one and treat it like a temporary thumbdrive.

They run off USB power and are a just a bit larger than a standard bifold wallet.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ok, so I am using opensuse tumbleweed on my gaming PC now, which is hooked up to a 4k display. I have everything scaled and looking good, except the login screen. for whatever reason sddm is ignoring directives in /etc/sddm.conf.

code:
╰─○ sddm --example-config
[Autologin]
# Whether sddm should automatically log back into sessions when they exit
Relogin=false

# Name of session file for autologin session (if empty try last logged in)
Session=default.desktop

# Username for autologin session
User=

[General]
# Halt command
HaltCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl poweroff

# Input method module
InputMethod=qtvirtualkeyboard

# Comma-separated list of Linux namespaces for user session to enter
Namespaces=

# Initial NumLock state. Can be on, off or none.
# If property is set to none, numlock won't be changed
# NOTE: Currently ignored if autologin is enabled.
Numlock=none

# Reboot command
RebootCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl reboot

[Theme]
# Current theme name
Current=

# Cursor theme used in the greeter
CursorTheme=

# Number of users to use as threshold
# above which avatars are disabled
# unless explicitly enabled with EnableAvatars
DisableAvatarsThreshold=7

# Enable display of custom user avatars
EnableAvatars=true

# Global directory for user avatars
# The files should be named <username>.face.icon
FacesDir=/usr/share/sddm/faces

# Font used in the greeter
Font=

# Theme directory path
ThemeDir=/usr/share/sddm/themes

[Users]
# Default $PATH for logged in users
DefaultPath=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

# Comma-separated list of shells.
# Users with these shells as their default won't be listed
HideShells=

# Comma-separated list of users that should not be listed
HideUsers=

# Maximum user id for displayed users
MaximumUid=60000

# Minimum user id for displayed users
MinimumUid=1000

# Remember the session of the last successfully logged in user
RememberLastSession=true

# Remember the last successfully logged in user
RememberLastUser=true

# When logging in as the same user twice, restore the original session, rather than create a new one
ReuseSession=true

[Wayland]
# Enable Qt's automatic high-DPI scaling
EnableHiDPI=false

# Path to a script to execute when starting the desktop session
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/wayland-session

# Directory containing available Wayland sessions
SessionDir=/usr/share/wayland-sessions

# Path to the user session log file
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/wayland-session.log

[X11]
# Path to a script to execute when starting the display server
DisplayCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup

# Path to a script to execute when stopping the display server
DisplayStopCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xstop

# Enable Qt's automatic high-DPI scaling
EnableHiDPI=false

# The lowest virtual terminal number that will be used.
MinimumVT=1

# Arguments passed to the X server invocation
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp

# Path to X server binary
ServerPath=/usr/bin/X

# Path to a script to execute when starting the desktop session
SessionCommand=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession

# Directory containing available X sessions
SessionDir=/usr/share/xsessions

# Path to the user session log file
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log

# Path to Xephyr binary
XephyrPath=/usr/bin/Xephyr

No matter what I put in /etc/sddm.conf, it is not reflected here and I am stuck with a tiny login screen I am to get real close to the screen to read. Anyone know whats up here?

tjones
May 13, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

No matter what I put in /etc/sddm.conf, it is not reflected here and I am stuck with a tiny login screen I am to get real close to the screen to read. Anyone know whats up here?

Have you tried modifying the other configuration files to see if you can get changes to stick?
Check this:

quote:

SDDM configuration is loaded on the following order:

All files in /usr/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d in alphabetical order
All files in /etc/sddm.conf.d in alphabetical order
Finally from /etc/sddm.conf for compatibility

For example, we can find on tumbleweed that the main sddm.conf file is empty, and the configurations are on /usr/lib/sddm/ssdm.conf.d.

See
$ man sddm.conf

From here: https://en.opensuse.org/Sddm

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tjones posted:

Have you tried modifying the other configuration files to see if you can get changes to stick?
Check this:

From here: https://en.opensuse.org/Sddm

Yeah, the 00-general.conf in /usr/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d/ has the EnableHiDPI=true line under [XDisplay]

tjones
May 13, 2005
Does changing the value of EnableHiDPI in the 00-general.conf have any impact? I was mainly wanting to confirm that overall configuration changes were working correctly as /etc/sddm.conf should overwrite prior settings. I'm assuming since you mentioned prior that everything was working except for SDDM that you've already solved other potential X/Wayland scaling issues.

You could try to manually set the dpi of the display in the SDDM config if you haven't tried already:

quote:

/etc/sddm.conf.d/dpi.conf

[X11]
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 94

From here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM#DPI_settings

Maybe try to double your DPI to force a lower resolution?

There's also this blurb in the Arch WIKI troubleshooting section for SDDM that might be worthwhile:

quote:

Screen resolution is too low

Issue may be caused by HiDPI usage for monitors with corrupted EDID [6]. If you have enabled HiDPI, try to disable it.

If even the above fails, you can try setting your screen size in a Xorg configuration file:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-monitor.conf

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "<default monitor>"
DisplaySize 345 194 # in millimeters
EndSection

Scaling issues on Linux have historically been a pain in the rear end. I've heard it said in a jokingly manner more than once that the best solution to issues with a 4K monitor in Linux is to go buy a 1440p monitor instead. Best of luck.

EDIT: It appears this link may solve your problem:
https://en.opensuse.org/High_DPI

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I had arch while using a 4K tv, with xrandr to 1080p, everything was really ok. 4K was just too small but 1080p was a good size, on a 43" screen.
I did go back and install Windoze, had lots of vysnc issues in RetroArch, slow down - stuttering sound. More issue than I did with anything else from linux.
Anyway I dropped in to say I installed NixOS onto a thinkpad. I really like the configuration file method. Does anyone use xmonad? After I setup the packages to my liking, I was going to change WMs. Whats interesting is I can treat NixOS like Emacs in a way, just peek at other configs per github and cherry pick what I like and don't like into my own config.
Xmonad is going to be different though, I suspect quite a bit different than i3.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cheese Thief posted:

I had arch while using a 4K tv, with xrandr to 1080p, everything was really ok. 4K was just too small but 1080p was a good size, on a 43" screen.

I have had people tell me, with a straight face, 4k native is 'fine on a laptop'

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

4k looks fantastic on a laptop though?

You just need scale up the UI so it's actually legible (which you also have to do on a desktop).

But not seeing pixels is great.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tjones posted:

Does changing the value of EnableHiDPI in the 00-general.conf have any impact? I was mainly wanting to confirm that overall configuration changes were working correctly as /etc/sddm.conf should overwrite prior settings. I'm assuming since you mentioned prior that everything was working except for SDDM that you've already solved other potential X/Wayland scaling issues.

You could try to manually set the dpi of the display in the SDDM config if you haven't tried already:

From here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM#DPI_settings

Maybe try to double your DPI to force a lower resolution?

There's also this blurb in the Arch WIKI troubleshooting section for SDDM that might be worthwhile:

Scaling issues on Linux have historically been a pain in the rear end. I've heard it said in a jokingly manner more than once that the best solution to issues with a 4K monitor in Linux is to go buy a 1440p monitor instead. Best of luck.

EDIT: It appears this link may solve your problem:
https://en.opensuse.org/High_DPI

Thanks, I'll fillow up on these in a bit. ❤️

And I'm fighting on a 65" tv to read unscaled 4k stuff, how the gently caress even on a laptop?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

"4k native resolution" doesn't have to imply "... at 100% scaling".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Computer viking posted:

"4k native resolution" doesn't have to imply "... at 100% scaling".

That's exactly what it means

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

RFC2324 posted:

historically there has been plenty of BSD talk in here, and its not completely irrelevant

Would I be right in comparing this to DOS questions in a WIN95 thread? I’m dl’ing Debian from Microsoft to try out WSL, and also have a file with a lot of different bash tips/commands on it, but it’s really just a hobby. Something new to waste time in the twilight between First Moderna and Second Moderna. Anything special or super difficult about WSL, or would it be better to just dual-boot an img and go back and forth?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

DerekSmartymans posted:

Would I be right in comparing this to DOS questions in a WIN95 thread? I’m dl’ing Debian from Microsoft to try out WSL, and also have a file with a lot of different bash tips/commands on it, but it’s really just a hobby. Something new to waste time in the twilight between First Moderna and Second Moderna. Anything special or super difficult about WSL, or would it be better to just dual-boot an img and go back and forth?

WSL is fine for just messing around with bash.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DerekSmartymans posted:

Like the post above me said its fine for bash. its superficially identical to a minimal install of the distro you are installing, the only differences are internal stuff. Some syscalls don't work, for instance, which breaks some tools(mtr doesn't work on the opensuse implentation, for instance)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bob Morales posted:

That's exactly what it means

No? 200% scaling at 4k native draws large letters with the natively tiny pixels, as opposed to 100% at the non-native 1920x1080 where the screen upscales it. Native just means "your frame buffer resolution is the same as the physical pixels".

This may be one of those things where there are two tribes with mutually exclusively opinions that have lived happily unaware of each other.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Computer viking posted:

No? 200% scaling at 4k native draws large letters with the natively tiny pixels, as opposed to 100% at the non-native 1920x1080 where the screen upscales it. Native just means "your frame buffer resolution is the same as the physical pixels".

This may be one of those things where there are two tribes with mutually exclusively opinions that have lived happily unaware of each other.

Most people say things like:

I'm using 4k native on my 32" beepabloop monitor

or

I'm using 4k scaled on my 15" laptop

Native means you're not using any scaling. Not pushing a different resolution with device settings (such as 1920x1080), and having your display upscale/downscale it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

200% scaling in both linux and windows still leaves random bits at tiny size anyway, so it feels like 4k with random stuff made larger more than a kind of upscaling?

So

Computer viking posted:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

*cough* I use a Mac

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

See the previous point about tribes. :D

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's a computer?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
To those using Linux as a gaming pc hooked up to a tv, what desktop env/window manager do you use? Or do you in just boot straight into big picture/Kodi/something else?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Buck Turgidson posted:

To those using Linux as a gaming pc hooked up to a tv, what desktop env/window manager do you use? Or do you in just boot straight into big picture/Kodi/something else?

I use an Nvidia shield and steamlink (app), works much better than my old steamlink device.

If you literally have a box connected to your TV I'd probably just have it boot straight into big picture, but I've never had a direct connection like that.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Turgidson posted:

Just boot straight to Kodi or (in my case) big picture. Anything else is a waste of memory.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yeah I use the Steam Link app on my TV for couch gaming. Super convenient for that, and also makes a decent solution for streaming video from my PC to my TV.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

xtal posted:

Just boot straight to Kodi or (in my case) big picture. Anything else is a waste of memory.

as in login manager -> steamos compositor?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Is there a simple way of turning off a usb mouse led when DPMS is in standby mode?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Turgidson posted:

as in login manager -> steamos compositor?

Yes, like using steam as the window manager/session manager

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just do like I have, and be legally blind - ie. not allowed to get a drivers license. That way you don't have to worry about seeing all the pixels that you folks seem to struggle so much with. :smugbert:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Just do like I have, and be legally blind - ie. not allowed to get a drivers license. That way you don't have to worry about seeing all the pixels that you folks seem to struggle so much with. :smugbert:

:hfive:

I can barely tell the difference between 720 and 1080p on a 21" monitor. Only reason I care about 4k on my current poo poo is its a 65" sceen lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

btrfs-progs version 5.11 have been released.

Changelog:

[...]
* mkfs: warn when raid56 is used
* balance convert: warn when raid56 is used

:hmbol:

This is just sad at this point. I'd love to have an in-kernel fs that can rival ZFS…

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Dumb question: I have a cranky old i5 2400 with a 2GB Geforce GTX 560 Ti. Does Steam Play quietly refuse to work if it doesn't detect Vulkan now? I just wanted to throw Doom 2016 on it but on trying to launch it throws up a window saying Preparing to launch DOOM... and then seems to just wait indefinitely.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Vulkan is a soft dependency, though it should just error out instead. d3d9,10,11,12 support is implemented on top of Vulkan.

Though, it might fall back to wined3d for everything below d3d12.

First launch of Doom 2016 takes absolute ages btw.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hasturtium posted:

Dumb question: I have a cranky old i5 2400 with a 2GB Geforce GTX 560 Ti. Does Steam Play quietly refuse to work if it doesn't detect Vulkan now? I just wanted to throw Doom 2016 on it but on trying to launch it throws up a window saying Preparing to launch DOOM... and then seems to just wait indefinitely.

If something is running funny launch it from a terminal window so you can see stdout and stderr. Makes seeing if something failed much easier

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can't get over how loving awesome boot environments are, and I think it's a damned shame that BTRFS users or OpenZFS users on Linux don't get them.

When I want to upgrade my server, I build world and kernel (which, with meta-mode ensures that only what's changed actually gets built, so most builds take between 30 seconds and 5 minutes on 32 threads), then run sh tools/build/beinstall.sh while in /usr/src.

Assuming it installs correctly, runs etcupdate(8), and pkg upgrade correctly, it creates and activates that a boot environment, which I can then boot into simply by rebooting the system.
If anything fails at any point before the reboot, I still have the logs to figure out what happened.

Basically, I get trivial system upgrades across major versions, with zero risk - even if it, for some reason, breaks without breaking the build, I still have the old boot environment that I can activate from either single-user mode or the FreeBSD standard loader.

On top of that, because of how snapshots work, keeping the old boot environment takes up almost no space. Here's a comparison between the default boot environment created on 12.2-RELEASE and an upgrade I did just today:
pre:
zroot/ROOT/14.0-CURRENT-20210307.104130  3.08G  27.4G     2.23G  /
zroot/ROOT/default                        303K  27.4G     1.03G  /
Yeah, it's only using 300kB of diskspace to keep the files that weren't changed - mostly because I skipped a few versions, so very very few files didn't get changed.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 7, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like NixOS

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xtal posted:

Sounds like NixOS
NixOS is superficially equivalent, but the similarities stop there.

NixOS relies on the package manager, which in turn depends on dependency solvers, which means you have to have some kind of graph, and hope to hell you don't suddenly encounter loops (see: everything that gets this wrong including but not limited to systemd, openrc, and basically anything that implements graph theory but doesn't do it in a provable way)
It's also completely storage in-efficient, as it basically accomplishes everything it does with symlinks and filepaths (which begin with hashes, so completion is a nightmare :argh:).

ZFS and boot environments are basically a hack in the old-fashioned sense.
It uses the snapshot feature of ZFS (basically per-record diffs) along with the vfs.root.mountfrom OID, which is a kernel environment variable - which is why it's manipulable by the FreeBSD standard loader, which some Illumos-derivatives have switched to, as well as potentially even grub if Linux distribution creators ever catch on to This One Weird Trick FreeBSD and Illumos Folks Don't Want You To Know About.
Also, it's been in use for over 10 years.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 7, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a Linux app that works as well as Preview.app for inserting text and drawing signatures into PDFs?