Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

23reasons posted:

That's a nice helmet, and much cheaper, but it doesn't have the built in sun screen. Unfortunately, I imagine that all helmets with built in sun screens are well expensive.
http://www.caberg-helm.com/home.aspx?xL=e
Caberg are cheap helmets and they do a few models with built in sun visors. Mines a godsend on sunny days (obviously) and winter mornings and evenings when there's low sun right in your eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

blugu64 posted:

Is there any benefit to buying a backpack specifically designed for a motorcycle?

i have a kriega R35 http://www.kriega.com/pages_uk/r35/R35frameset.html it was expensive but really worth it, totally waterproof, and fastens up across your chest like a 4 point harness so it really spreads the load out. looks like a parachute :) a buddy bought the r25 the same day i got mine and he's very happy with it too. all the kriega bags get rave reviews in the various UK bike magazines

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

EvilDonald posted:

I figure page 5 isn't too far gone to dredge this up from...

I'm looking at winter riding jackets before they get expensive, and am having a bit of trouble simply determining what the drat things are made of. Everyone seems to have a cutesy name for the material that doesn't really tell you what the material is. These are the two I'm looking at-

the Fieldsheer Siberia, which is made of something they call "Carbolex"
http://tinyurl.com/3eqah8

and the Firstgear Kilimanjaro, which is made of something they call "Hypertex"
http://tinyurl.com/46pjss

I understand that ballistic nylon is preferable for riding gear, but what the hell are Carbolex and Hypertex? Is that their special name for nylon, or is it polyester or Kevlar or woven extruded chicken turds or what?

Both of those are just marketing hype-words for their versions of ballistic nylon

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm looking to buy a moto/enduro style helmet as a christmas present to myself. I am currently looking at the Arai Tour-X (OMG I'm Ewan McGregor) or a Shoei Hornet DS (they make a black and KTM-orange one to match my bike).

Anyone got any insight on these helmets, or suggestions for cheaper equivalents?

i have an airoh S4, http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/airoh-helmets/
its pretty nice, was very tight the first few days (i take a medium, but having worn it watching tv for a few hours it's bedded in nicely, no pressure points or sore spots after a long ride.

Its pretty noisy, but i cant imagine that style of helmet being quiet anyway.
you can change it into a normal street helmet too, looks pretty weird in my opinion and the visor removal system is a bit flimsy feeling, i started to convert it one day and stopped as i was worried I'd break it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Anyone have any experience with the HJC breath guard or something similar? I'd quite like a bit less visor fog.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Respro_Foggy_Mask--502324.html
mate of mine has one of these and its brilliant, visor closed even at traffic lights and the visor doesn't fog up

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

My Caberg has one too but I just found it to be annoying. Didn't stop fogging all that well, but that could have something to do with my flat Asian face. :(

i have a caberg helmet too the breath deflectors are poo poo, the foggy mask actually sits on your face and makes a seal.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

Has anyone got any opinions for or against RST and/or Hein Gericke gear? Mate of mine has been to about 3 or 4 brick-and-mortar stores to try on kit. He's finally narrowed his choice of jackets down to two, one RST and one Hein Gericke.

The RST one is longer and he seems to prefer the slight extra waterproofing in it. The HG one is almost identical to the one he's been borrowing from my sister (cue jokes) and from the outside, it seems to fit him slightly better.

He hasn't got any trousers so far (he does know he needs them, his budget is just being a bit slow) so the joining to the trousers of the jackets might be a small factor. No boots currently either, but those are on the shopping list as well.

I had an RST textile jacket and pants for two years, they're ok, not great in the rain after being out in a few showers, they keep you dry but soak up a ton of water so you're still a dripping mess when you get wherever you're going.
Hein Gericke are highly regarded but i've never had any of their gear, i find the best jacked for irish/uk weather is my plasticy Akito one, its waterproof and warm in rain even in winter. Not very "cool" looking but i have an A* jacket for the rare sunny day in summer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

To the Kriega crowd...has anyone tried on both the R25 and the R35? How much air does the 35 block against the 25? I'm considering the 35, I have a very long torso, but I don't want it to completely block all the wind I get on my chest because it's gonna be hot when I'm traveling this summer.

I have a 35 and my buddy has a 25, he regrets not buying the 35 for the extra space.

Its not much bigger than the chest pad on the 25, but it feels much sturdier as it zips up instead of clasping closed with just plastic buckles. (that said its lasted him 2 years of daily driving in all weathers and the plastic buckles are still fine.)

In terms of heat i think the benefits of a backpack that puts no strain on your back, is easy to put on over the most cumbersome of gear and doesn't move around at 120mph outweighs any wind blocking it may do. the pad on the 35 is about 8'' by 8''.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

needknees posted:

I really, really, really like my Kriega R35. It might be a bit bigger than you're looking for but they make 3 different sizes of backpacks. Specifically designed for motorcycling, I can barely feel the fucker when I'm on the bike. Hell I just took an over 1000 mile weekend trip with it, packed full of clothes and my 15.4" screen tank of a Lenovo laptop.

I have the same bag, its amazing how much poo poo you can fit in it

Dubs posted:

I've been looking for a new backpack recently, and the feature I want most is breakable straps to make it easier to get on and off whilst covered in armour. I think i might even shell out for an A*

The kriega is the easiest bag to put on over armour i've ever tried,it feels like putting on a parachute, or strapping into a 4 point harness. i've had it full to the brim with shopping, bottles of beer and tools/bike parts http://www.kriega.com/pages_uk/r35/r352page.html

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

auruspex posted:

Anyone with a Kriega R35 ever try to put a 17" Laptop in it? Looking for a new backpack and really like Kriega but want to ensure it'll fit my MBP.

Thanks!

I've carried a 17'' laptop in my R35, fitted fine.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

NitroSpazzz posted:

How are the Kriega packs over bulkier textile suits? I don't see myself doing too many long distance trips in my race leathers but if they work well over a 'stitch or olympia suit I might know what I'm getting for my birthday.

Also 14" laptop, fit in a R25 fine?

I can get my r35 on over the bulkiest rain/cold weather gear.
Every now and again i have to use a regular backpack and the struggle to haul one of them on over elbow/shoulder armour drives me insane.

One of my friends has the r25 and he can fit his laptop into it ok its 14'' or 15'', my r35 will swallow any laptop i've tried to put in it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Back to college from next Monday and my timetable puts me in peak traffic so using the car is out of the question meaning i'll be back to all weather bike commuting again..
Using this a flimsy justification to buy new things i ordered one of these

and one of these

and lastly one of these

should all be here by friday which means i can move one old helmet out of rotation and redo this video with a camera that has actually some pixels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxMQBIv97y8

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
My helmet arrived, pretty comfortable wearing it around the house, the removable pads for the legs of my glasses are the best feature ever, first helmet I've owned that didn't press on my glasses in any way. I'll see how its lauded antifog copes with the lovely Irish weather tomorrow morning on the way to college.
few pics here
http://imgur.com/a/ujJx7#6

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

echomadman posted:

..... a flimsy justification to buy new things i ordered one of these

and one of these

and lastly one of these

Have had these a week now, had a problem with the jacket where the lining of one sleeve had been twisted during manufacture, but they replaced it for me pretty quickly.
The helmet is pretty drat good, very quiet, great venting and as i mentioned before the removable pads to make room for glasses legs are the best feature ever. No more imprints in my temples or pressure marks on the bridge of my nose from the helmet tweaking the frames.

The rain gear is nice, the jacket fits easily over my A* textile jacket and Richa leather jacket without any causing any claustrophobic panic attacks. Taking it off is easy too, far better than the generic army surplus rain gear i used to use which snagged on elbow and shoulder armour and forced you to contort unnaturally to take them on or off.
The pants are good too, rode in heavy rain a few times and stayed dry, although they dont cinch up around the ankle so there's potential for water to get up there on long rides and wick its way up your gear. They both pack up nice and small and fit into the two outside pockets on my Kriega R35.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ziploc posted:

Model info on the jacket?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yeah, I'm interested in that as well. Need some decent rain pull over gear, I've tried the one-piece rain oversuits and they're all universally poo poo.

Its the RJ-5 http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-rj-5-rain-jacket
Pants are RP-5.
Its sized to fit over a standard jacket, so if you wear a large jacket get the large in this, if you go bigger it will be like a tent crappy video review here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1g4v9WXeaU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've had these boots for two weeks now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okfUR1XmNjY

Pretty comfortable, good waterproofing on the bike. nice and light to walk around in all day in college too.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Was browsing for some knee protection and came across this

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Any Dutch goons know if there are any good motorcycle gear shops in and around Amsterdam?
I'm going to be over there for a few days this week and I need new gloves, and dragging the gf to a bike shop will be ample revenge for all the boring poo poo she's going to drag me to.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nitramster posted:

Has anyone tried out a Shark Vision-R? I wonder how much more peripheral view it has. they say 110%, which doesn't seem like much, but is that difference really noticeable?

I have a Vision-R since last November and its brilliant, but i have never had any peripheral vision problems with any motorcycle helmet I've owned so I can't say anything other than that about it.
Shark Visors are great though, they're thicker and stiffer than most helmets.
The internal sun visor is nice but a little too close to your face if you wear glasses they need to be pushed right back to your face which is odd considering they have removable pads to allow a nice fit for glasses legs at the temples

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, the R35 is big enough to be cumbersome if you're not carrying groceries or roadtripping.

I daily ride with my R35, I actually feel weird riding without it now, but both my bikes are pretty upright so it rests nicely on my torso/pillion seat. I can imagine it being a bit big for a bikes with a more tucked up riding position

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

lowcrabdiet posted:

How well does the Kriega backpack harness system work off the bike? Is it going to be acceptable for walking around (for hours, tourist style), maybe even hiking?

My R35 is as good off the bike as on, i use it as my bag for everything, college, travelling walkgin around. the only problem is on hot days the chestplate makes it a bit warm to wear for extended periods of walking.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Springfield Fatts posted:

Got a helmet question. I'm looking for a full face helmet for my girlfriend, but the only ones that fit her snug are too tight for her to wear her glasses at the same time. She has very poor eyesight without them, and I'm sure someone else has had this issue and maybe has some advice. I'm thinking cheek molds with the temple bars already in them or something?

My Shark Vision-R helmet has removable pads in the temples to allow glasses in. Probably other Shark helmets do aswell, + it has a bonus flip down sun visor.

quote:

Plenty of room inside the helmet to not gently caress with your glasses as well as the flipping makes it easy to pull the lid on and off without having to remove your glasses.

This will eventually destroy your glasses frame, i was lazy when i had my flip front helmet and used to pull it on without taking off my glasses, eventually the hinges got really hosed up, same thing happened to other people i know.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 2, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Halo_4am posted:

I've never had to modify anything to fit my glasses in a full face. I do have to take them off when I put it on.... even when I was wearing a size too large I'd still need to do that.

However sliding the stems behind my ears with the visor open has never been even close an issue and I'm failing to visualize how it possibly could be with a flip-able visor.

I was replying to Padrescout who was talking about putting on a flip up helmet without removing his glasses.
As for getting the stems behind my ears, all my glasses since i started riding have had straight legs.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

SaNChEzZ posted:

SMH10 is great but you can only link three, and it only supports 1on1 conversation, like A can talk to B, A can talk to C, but C can't talk to B at the same time etc.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/smh10-firmware-update-4.htm
according to this the latest firmware adds 4 way conference connections.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Anyone got one of these or know someone that does? for all its kevlar-ness i cant imagine it'd do anything other than ride up in a crash and expose your midriff for it to be grated by the road surface.
looks like its be way handier than a bulky jacket in the summer though
http://www.gogogearla.com/armored-kevlar-hoodie-mens/

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I know some people that own it and other GoGoGear stuff and they seem to have nothing but praises, but I haven't gotten a chance to handle the hoodie yet. I keep eyeing the hoodie but until I can try one on in person I can't bring myself to take the risk.

If you do get a chance to try one remember to post back here about it.
Its a pity they don't make a non-zip version, the zip seems like a potential weak spot/way for wind&rain to get in.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Anyone have opinions on Helimot gloves?

they sure do, i'm sure he'll be along any minute

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
UK/IE people aldi have bike stuff this Sunday.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday13.htm
http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday13.htm

I'm curious about the kevlar jeans but I don't know if I feel like fighting my way through the inevitable hordes of people waiting for the stores to open on Sunday morning.

I can recommend the alarmed padlocks though, I use one as a disk lock. i know they can be defeated by serious thieves but they stop morons from loving with your bike as they chirp a few times if they're jostled, and you can loop a chain through them for a little extra security.
The thermal base layer stuff is pretty warm as well I got some last year.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

echomadman posted:

UK/IE people aldi have bike stuff this Sunday.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday13.htm
http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday13.htm

I'm curious about the kevlar jeans but I don't know if I feel like fighting my way through the inevitable hordes of people waiting for the stores to open on Sunday morning.

I can recommend the alarmed padlocks though, I use one as a disk lock. i know they can be defeated by serious thieves but they stop morons from loving with your bike as they chirp a few times if they're jostled, and you can loop a chain through them for a little extra security.
The thermal base layer stuff is pretty warm as well I got some last year.

I went in today and the last pair of pants left were my size, horay for not being a fatty i guess. They're quite comfortable on, have ce knee armour and pockets for hip armour. I'll swap the hip pads back and forth from my winter overpants. Hopefully i will never have to test the "famous" kevlar technology.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm old and skinny jeans are just stupid and weird to me, so I guess there's that.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
you fashionistas are really missing out on the joy of airflow around your balls

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HNasty posted:

Got a new rain suit, it's pretty fly too

Hnasty on tour.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

elsanto posted:

Are Shark helmets worth a poo poo?
I've been looking at the Shark Speed R Sauer
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-speed-r-sauer-helmet-closeout

I have an EXO-400 Lg that fits ok. Would the Speed R fit me?

I have a Vision R and i really like it. The Speed R is lighter and has a visor mechanism that's less prone to (expensive) breakage.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

MotorcycleDaily reviews the Bell Bullitt, most of it is fashion fluff but I'll quote the relevant bits:

The promo video would do well on a certain blog too

TTGS: 2m 32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azA486vQI2A

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

Anyone have suggestions on how I might carry *stuff* around?
I'd like to be able to take my bike to the gym which requires I be able to store my helmet/gear in a bag while I'm there. Also occasionally I'd like to be able to fit my work laptop in it but that's not a hard requirement.

>>for a DRZ400sm, would a duffle bag, some bungees and that rack mounting system work fine? or do I need something like one of those Giant Loop camel pack style bags

I bought my second Kriega R35 last week after my old one got stolen out of my car, best bike bag going in my opinion. you can cram a helmet into it but i'd just bring a helmet bag in it and clip it onto the outside of the bag while i was at the gym.
The american model looks nicer than the euro one too. http://www.kriega.us/r35-motorcycle-backpack/
They're really expensive but they're also a great bag for travelling, and my old one was nearly 10 years old and was still perfect structurally after thousands of hours on the bike in all weather. No problems fitting a laptop either.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Halo_4am posted:

Any general knocks on Shark? This looks to have a load more bells and whistles than my previously settled on RS-1 and is $20 cheaper even... so for the moment I'm pretty stoked.

I have the previous generation Vision-R and i really like it, a friend just bought a 2014 version 2 and there are a few small tweaks that make it a nicer helmet.
Its reasonably quiet (i always wear earplugs too though), stable at high speeds. the drop down sun visor hits my glasses unless they're pushed all the way up my nose (this is fixed on the new version)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Halo_4am posted:

The only bitch I have with it is with all Shark helmets and it's their stupid slide for the slack on the d rings.

Interesting, Shark Vision-Rs in europe have a little ratchet lock on the strap not D rings.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Halo_4am posted:

Euro Shark lids include the quick release while North American and Australian versions are double d ring. No idea why, but it's true across their whole line.

My gripe isn't with the ring system, but rather the slack tidying system. Not sure if the ratcheting lock does anything special with the excess strap?

There isn't any excess strap really, you set it once, then clip it away. The ratchet mechanism does the tightening from then on.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

AncientTV posted:

Do yourself a favor and watch it at half speed

Haha, thats amazing, he sounds like he's hammered drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

I enjoy shooting them with firearms.

They'll protect you from buckshot at about 40'!

Shooting them with a shotgun is fun. They hold up surprisingly well to birdshot, buckshot and slugs not so much.
.22 will skim off if you dont hit the shell square on too.

I want to redo this video when i'm retiring my current helmet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncyl_uJp-SU

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2019