Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

I AM A UNIQUE TRANSEXUAL FURRY ATTENTION WHORE AND BTW I KNOW IM FAT, OK

KuangMkV posted:

You're having a wedding related party themed around an RPG that was so terrible not even White Wolf could sell it to a ready-made market of fat girls in faerie wings?

My room party is entirely separate from my wedding, actually. As in, the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
And it sold well enough that they decided to make it for their new generation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh

Lissedae posted:

I've actually gotten that advice from my grandmother. She said that the hardest year is without a doubt the first year. You're so worried about finances, you don't get the time you thought you would, and you start thinking about big thinks like kids.
We've been living together for a while now, and that's helped a lot. We're pretty stable in our daily lives, understand the time we have for each other, etc. Getting married will change very little in the practical sense. Still though, I am worried that the first year is going to be more stressful that I had anticipated. I'm certain that we're close enough, in love enough and just plain compatible enough to get through very, very hard times.

I really appreciate the encouragement and advice.

OK fine you love each other truly madly deeply and will last forever.

Why are you doing your wedding like this? Why not put it off a year, save up a bit of cash, and do something nice and memorable? If you're not into tradition fine whatever go somewhere you've always wanted to go and get married there. You're right I don't know you so I can't say whether or not your marriage is going to last, but I can with absolute 100 percent certainty guarantee that you will regret getting married in this way

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Also, you're basing an awful lot of your life on something that isn't guaranteed to exist forever. It's a sci-fi convention in Minnesota. I'm sure it's the oldest and the bestest, but things end. Even E3 is finished, if I heard correctly. What if you want to take the kids down memory lane someday?

"See here, Link Jr.? This was the site of the convention hall where we tied the knot. Yeah, it's a used car lot now. No, we didn't rent out the whole place ourselves. See, people used to get together for big sci-fi conventions and wear costumes and talk about video games. There were thousands of people there. No, we didn't know most of them. They pretty much wandered in and out as they pleased. That's what made our wedding so intimate and special."

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

tombom posted:

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1796748&highlight=

You believe yourself to have "Disassociative Identety Disorder". You're 19. You want to have a Zelda wedding. Don't you think this might not turn out for the better?

People seem to be missing the 'mildly' part. No costumes, no excessive decoration, no zelda themed vows, none of that. I'm a lot better off than people who get married and renaissance faires.

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh

Lissedae posted:

I'm a lot better off than people who get married and renaissance faires.

You asked an internet comedy website to decorate posters for your wedding let's not put on airs

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
A wedding with a *twist* of zelda. I don't understand why?

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Lissedae posted:

I've actually gotten that advice from my grandmother. She said that the hardest year is without a doubt the first year. You're so worried about finances, you don't get the time you thought you would, and you start thinking about big thinks like kids.
We've been living together for a while now, and that's helped a lot. We're pretty stable in our daily lives, understand the time we have for each other, etc. Getting married will change very little in the practical sense. Still though, I am worried that the first year is going to be more stressful that I had anticipated. I'm certain that we're close enough, in love enough and just plain compatible enough to get through very, very hard times.

I really appreciate the encouragement and advice.

No problem at all, my wife and I lived together for 3 years before getting married very little changed at first, but then you realize that one of you has to give up there dreams at least for a little while. My wife works and goes to school full time to become a teacher, I work for a very large company as a systems analyst. I will have to stay at this job no matter what till she finishes school. Anything I want to work on school wise or job wise will be put on hold till she is done, once she finishes I assume I will start working on things I want. But tell then I just have to weight and that is hard to do sometimes. I hope you guys beat all the odds and have a kick rear end life, but realize that you both may change and one of you may change into someone the other does not like :(

Madness fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 26, 2007

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...

Lissedae posted:

I'm a lot better off than people who get married and renaissance faires.

You realize this is like saying "I'm not healthy, but I'm better off than lepers!" right?

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Slashie posted:

Also, you're basing an awful lot of your life on something that isn't guaranteed to exist forever. It's a sci-fi convention in Minnesota. I'm sure it's the oldest and the bestest, but things end. Even E3 is finished, if I heard correctly. What if you want to take the kids down memory lane someday?

"See here, Link Jr.? This was the site of the convention hall where we tied the knot. Yeah, it's a used car lot now. No, we didn't rent out the whole place ourselves. See, people used to get together for big sci-fi conventions and wear costumes and talk about video games. There were thousands of people there. No, we didn't know most of them. They pretty much wandered in and out as they pleased. That's what made our wedding so intimate and special."

And if I get married at a park it could turn into a parking lot, or a church could turn into some condos. This is as guaranteed to last forever and any other location I could get married at.

And I don't really want a wedding that's 'intimate and special' in a traditional sense. Our original plan was to get married at my grandparent's house with us, our immediate family and a minister.
I really like the feel of anyone and everyone wandering in and out as they please. It's not something that bothers me at all. It will be really memorable for them, and it's still my wedding, so it'll still always be special to me.

Also, we're probably going to name our first kid Eric or Jonathan. We're not total freaks.

I understand that it's not most people's idea of a good wedding, but it's mine and his. What's the problem with that?

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
HEY! LISTEN!

HEY! LISTEN!

HEY! LISTEN!

LittleJoe posted:

You are going to regret nearly everything about your wedding

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

LittleJoe posted:

OK fine you love each other truly madly deeply and will last forever.

Why are you doing your wedding like this? Why not put it off a year, save up a bit of cash, and do something nice and memorable? If you're not into tradition fine whatever go somewhere you've always wanted to go and get married there. You're right I don't know you so I can't say whether or not your marriage is going to last, but I can with absolute 100 percent certainty guarantee that you will regret getting married in this way

How is this not memorable??

And this is the place we always wanted to get married.
You have to understand that this is our ideal - nothing could be better. It's way better than hawaii or some place we'll likely never go again.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Lissedae posted:

And if I get married at a park it could turn into a parking lot, or a church could turn into some condos. This is as guaranteed to last forever and any other location I could get married at.

I'm not talking about the location. I'm talking about the event. CONvergence or whatever isn't going to be the cultural mainstay you think it is. Your grandkids are going to have no idea what you're talking about.

Slashie fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 26, 2007

EmperorBobman
Mar 24, 2005

LittleJoe posted:

You're right I don't know you so I can't say whether or not your marriage is going to last, but I can with absolute 100 percent certainty guarantee that you will regret getting married in this way

Let me get this out of the way: I think getting married at a Sci Fi convention is about as tacky as I can imagine.

That said, most of the people who I know who were really really into nerdy stuff during their early years are still going at it pretty strongly (meaning, I know a bunch of 50 year old couples who live D & D). Sometimes people radically change, but I think the odds that someone who's really into getting married as a Nintendo character at a science fiction convention would grow to regret their wedding are much lower than 100%.

Worst come to worst, they can renew their vows and take pictures of that and pretend they're the wedding photos (you know, ret-con their own lives).

But I guess you just really wanted to be an rear end in a top hat today, so feel free to ignore my post.

Mikey Bidness
Aug 24, 2004
You are taking something beautiful and pure and eternal and you are giving it a yeast infection.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Lissedae posted:

You have to understand that this is our ideal - nothing could be better. It's way better than hawaii or some place we'll likely never go again.

Well, I guess there's something to be said for lowered expectations.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

theinhko posted:

A wedding with a *twist* of zelda. I don't understand why?
Because we like it. And it's fun. I mean, we're not taking it to a ridiculous extreme. No real amount of money is going in to making it a theme - even our rings are only $425 a piece. And even if we hate it 5 years later, there's always the private wedding with out family to remember.
It's something a little different, a little fun, something we like. There's still a normal dress, a normal minister, and at the ceremony in august there will be a normal setting with normal people.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

EmperorBobman posted:

Let me get this out of the way: I think getting married at a Sci Fi convention is about as tacky as I can imagine.

That said, most of the people who I know who were really really into nerdy stuff during their early years are still going at it pretty strongly (meaning, I know a bunch of 50 year old couples who live D & D). Sometimes people radically change, but I think the odds that someone who's really into getting married as a Nintendo character at a science fiction convention would grow to regret their wedding are much lower than 100%.

Worst come to worst, they can renew their vows and take pictures of that and pretend they're the wedding photos (you know, ret-con their own lives).

But I guess you just really wanted to be an rear end in a top hat today, so feel free to ignore my post.

Also a lot of people aren't getting the part where I'm having a totally normal wedding only a little more than a month later...

Also, the D&D at 50+ thing - Oh yeah. Most of my friends have parents like that. And I'll probably be like that too. I'm a total nerd at heart, that's just how it is and how it's been for about a decade now.

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh

Lissedae posted:

Think on it a while and I'm pretty certain you can come up with a better place to be married than a science fiction convention in Minnesota. Like I say, it'd be like if your parents had a disco-themed wedding or something. Even if you think it's pretty cool now it really, really isn't going to be as memorable in 10 or even 5 years as you think it is now.

EmperorBobman posted:

How am I being an rear end in a top hat? She posted a thread about her wedding and asked what people thought, I didn't pull it out of her livejournal or something. She asked for feedback, and my genuine belief is that it's a terrible idea.

EmperorBobman
Mar 24, 2005

Lissedae posted:

Also a lot of people aren't getting the part where I'm having a totally normal wedding only a little more than a month later...

That's fine and all and I'm not going to poo poo on your life's decisions, but a Zelda wedding just kinda makes me chuckle inside. Then again, if that's what makes you jump for joy go for it.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

LittleJoe posted:

Think on it a while and I'm pretty certain you can come up with a better place to be married than a science fiction convention in Minnesota. Like I say, it'd be like if your parents had a disco-themed wedding or something. Even if you think it's pretty cool now it really, really isn't going to be as memorable in 10 or even 5 years as you think it is now.

Well, I could get married at Dragon-Con or something, but I've never been there and I would likely never go again...

I guess I just don't get why you're specifying 'in Minnesota'. It's where I live and people generally get married where they live.

EmperorBobman
Mar 24, 2005

LittleJoe posted:

How am I being an rear end in a top hat? She posted a thread about her wedding and asked what people thought, I didn't pull it out of her livejournal or something. She asked for feedback, and my genuine belief is that it's a terrible idea.

Spending the whole thread patronizing her about how young she is and how her decision to get married at 19 is wrong is a pretty assholeish thing to do when you know almost nothing about their relationship or even either person in it.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
What will you do if your evil personality resurfaces when you see some hot night elf or whatever?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
What we're all trying to tell you is that video games, conventions, roleplaying, these are childish obsessions. It may take a year, it may take a decade, but someday work and kids and life will sap you of the energy to put on green tights and run around with a tinfoil sword. You'll find new interests, ones more grounded in reality, and when you look back at the things you're doing now you'll be embarassed. It's going to happen to each and every person that attends CONvergence sooner or later. You don't hear about the former geeks who sell off their action figures and get on with their lives because they don't look back.

Doing this is like tattooing the name of your junior prom date on your rear end. It forces you to remember the dumb, shortsighted teenager you were for the rest of your life. Middle-aged you is going to want to reach back through time and smack you.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

EmperorBobman posted:

That's fine and all and I'm not going to poo poo on your life's decisions, but a Zelda wedding just kinda makes me chuckle inside. Then again, if that's what makes you jump for joy go for it.

Wow - I just accidentally clicked the 'edit' button and got REALLY confused why it was giving me the 'login or pay $10 for an account' speech...

Anyway - Thank you. <3 I appreciate it. I agree that it's a little silly, and I totally understand why it seems silly. But it really is what we want and I'm glad to see you're respectful even though you find it funny.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Slashie posted:

What we're all trying to tell you is that video games, conventions, roleplaying, these are childish obsessions. It may take a year, it may take a decade, but someday work and kids and life will sap you of the energy to put on green tights and run around with a tinfoil sword. You'll find new interests, ones more grounded in reality, and when you look back at the things you're doing now you'll be embarassed. It's going to happen to each and every person that attends CONvergence sooner or later. You don't hear about the former geeks who sell off their action figures and get on with their lives because they don't look back.

Doing this is like tattooing the name of your junior prom date on your rear end. It forces you to remember the dumb, shortsighted teenager you were for the rest of your life. Middle-aged you is going to want to reach back through time and smack you.

Hahaha. Well, considering we have attendees and staff members in their fifties who have been working with MN sci-fi cons for over 20 years... I would say you're very wrong in saying it will happen to everyone.

And I've considered these things before. I can live with thinking I was really silly 5, 10, 50 years from now. That idea doesn't bother me at all. I don't think I'll be embarassed, I think I'll proudly think "Well, that's just who I was back then. And I've changed. It happens."

I've made way bigger mistakes and I'm too laid back to be critical about this in years to come.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

EmperorBobman posted:

Spending the whole thread patronizing her about how young she is and how her decision to get married at 19 is wrong is a pretty assholeish thing to do when you know almost nothing about their relationship or even either person in it.

Thank you.
My grandparents got married when my grandmother was 19. They'd known eachother for about a year on their wedding day. They had 5 hell raising children and they're still together, happy, and very in love 45-50 years later.

LittleJoe
Jun 22, 2004

heh

EmperorBobman posted:

Sorry if I seem like I'm talking down to her but I don't really know how else to communicate that video games are pretty much a childish thing and something you should ideally grow out of and certainly not something you want to immortalize in your wedding ceremony

Also that of all the couples that get married at 19 and then break up at 22 when they can't stand each other anymore and want nothing more than some freedom to enjoy their youth there isn't one that says "Yeah we're getting married and we're going to get divorced". they all say this optimistic, idealistic, against-the-world "WELL MY GRANDPARENTS GOT MARRIED WHEN THEY WERE 10 AND THEY TURNED OUT FINE" poo poo and almost without fail they end up splitting up 2 years later just like everyone said they would

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Every single "kooky" wedding plan I have heard always ends in divorce. Especially when one of them is a teenager and the other one just barely can buy a drink.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

Slashie posted:

I'm not talking about the location. I'm talking about the event. CONvergence or whatever isn't going to be the cultural mainstay you think it is. Your grandkids are going to have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't care if my grandkids have no idea what I'm talking about. I'll be lucky if I even have grandkids.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Lissedae posted:

Hahaha. Well, considering we have attendees and staff members in their fifties who have been working with MN sci-fi cons for over 20 years... I would say you're very wrong in saying it will happen to everyone.
Except in either case you lose. Either you acknowledge that what you did was childish and are embarrassed by it later in life, or you don't ever acknowledge it and end up being That Person.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

LittleJoe posted:

Sorry if I seem like I'm talking down to her but I don't really know how else to communicate that video games are pretty much a childish thing and something you should ideally grow out of and certainly not something you want to immortalize in your wedding ceremony

Also that of all the couples that get married at 19 and then break up at 22 when they can't stand each other anymore and want nothing more than some freedom to enjoy their youth there isn't one that says "Yeah we're getting married and we're going to get divorced". they all say this optimistic, idealistic, against-the-world "WELL MY GRANDPARENTS GOT MARRIED WHEN THEY WERE 10 AND THEY TURNED OUT FINE" poo poo and almost without fail they end up splitting up 2 years later just like everyone said they would

If my marriage fails in less than 10 years and SA is still around, I will get on and announce to everyone that I was a complete idiot for doing what I did. I'll even tell them that 'I am not smarter than a 5th grader'. Okay? Mind getting off my back about it now?

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

inpheaux posted:

Except in either case you lose. Either you acknowledge that what you did was childish and are embarrassed by it later in life, or you don't ever acknowledge it and end up being That Person.

Except that I want to be That Person

binary_hero
Oct 10, 2004

by Lowtax

Lissedae posted:

Thank you.
My grandparents got married when my grandmother was 19. They'd known eachother for about a year on their wedding day. They had 5 hell raising children and they're still together, happy, and very in love 45-50 years later.

That was in 1950. This is 2007 where you can get drive-thru divorces. You are going to end up getting one of those in a couple of years. GOOD loving GOD you can't even go out and get drunk yet, yet you think that you have seen enough of the world to start making decisions like marriage. I'm only 22 and marriage is pretty much the furthest thing from my mind.

My grandparents got married when they were really young - around 18. They split up 10 years ago because my granddad is a flaming homosexual. Their marriage was far from happy.

• Getting married at 19
  • Whilst having Disassociative Identity Disorder
  • With a "mildly" zelda themed wedding
  • at a science fiction convention
WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU THINK IS A GOOD IDEA?

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The good side of who I am as a person wants to give you congrats on getting married and for good luck in the future and all that jazz.

But the rational side of me is screaming and laughing on the inside and it's slowly creeping out as I type this because holy gently caress you are going to regret this in future years and for some reason I picture the time when you find out how insanely hilarious it is, is when you explain to your kids and they look at you and go.

"That's stupid"

Ignore everything I've written, if it's something you really want to do then go do it and tell people on the internet.

edit;

WOAH

WOAH

WOAH

YOU ARE 19?

NEVERMIND IGNORE THIS POST BECAUSE;

:xd:

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
A wedding based on a multi-million dollar franchise and pop culture icon is not whatsoever tacky or shallow, and it will be the best day of her life. Nope. Nuh-uh.

Lets be honest here, you're going to change and theres nothing you can do to stop it. At first you'll think, "Well this is slightly corny, but hey I enjoyed my wedding," and you'll see our posts in the back of your head, but you'll push them further back thinking "Nah, I loved it. It was good." As the years go by you'll slowly begin to mature and get out of your teens and into your mid twenties you'll realize there's a lot more to life than a loving elf that saves the world, and then, and only then our posts will slowly start to linger back and you'll feel like you've made a huge mistake. You'll begin by saying to yourself "No, its okay....I can't let them be right. It was a good wedding, gently caress." However much you try though, the better half of you says that "It was a pretty ridiculous wedding." Until you're finally convinced that it was dumb.

Hey I hate to rain on your parade, but unless you are going to live an absurdly sheltered life, your body will physically and mentally go through hundreds of changes over the course of a few years, chemical and abstract changes, and they all factor in slowly refining our outlook in life everyday. Things we wished we had now could be things we loathe in the future, and theres nothing you can do to stop it.

Congratulations, enjoy your wedding!

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ramseyk posted:

:words:

She's too young and flashy things and different settings in a fantasy world excite her to no end about being married, and at that age of perfect 19 she has found the one true person.

The one person who won't gently caress around her back, lie to her just to get out of doing extra work, and who actually.

Truely. Understands her.

As a person.

Lissedae
Feb 1, 2006

binary_hero posted:

That was in 1950. This is 2007 where you can get drive-thru divorces. You are going to end up getting one of those in a couple of years. GOOD loving GOD you can't even go out and get drunk yet, yet you think that you have seen enough of the world to start making decisions like marriage. I'm only 22 and marriage is pretty much the furthest thing from my mind.

My grandparents got married when they were really young - around 18. They split up 10 years ago because my granddad is a flaming homosexual. Their marriage was far from happy.

• Getting married at 19
  • Whilst having Disassociative Identity Disorder
  • With a "mildly" zelda themed wedding
  • at a science fiction convention

Not being legal to drink does not mean that I have not been overwhelmingly drunk too many times to count.
And that's fine for you that you're not thinking about marriage. That's you. This is me.

And as for your list - all of it. And I'm not about to let a disorder that hardly affect my life any more stop me from being happy any longer than it already has. Christ, it's the drinking and partying that brings my disorder out the most these days.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

binary_hero posted:

All that, and she came to SA - known for vocal opposition to pretty much anything related to any kind of sci-fi/fantasy/anime/furry/etc convention - looking for constructive advice, potential attendees, and people to make loving posters for her.

Further proof of a tenuous grasp on reality.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Clandestine Carwash posted:

You will grow out of this. Please reconsider.

Ahahaha jesus

Seriously don't get married when you are still dressing up in costumes from anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Lissedae posted:

If my marriage fails in less than 10 years and SA is still around, I will get on and announce to everyone that I was a complete idiot for doing what I did. I'll even tell them that 'I am not smarter than a 5th grader'. Okay? Mind getting off my back about it now?

If your marriage fails in 10 years at least you had a wedding that was exciting and memorable for those 10 years rather than having something that may or may not be memorable in 20. I'm having this same conversation with my fiancee. It's her wedding, not her mother's, sister's, best friend's or somethingawful's. Do what you want to do, just don't turn into a total bitch about it (Not directed towards you, or my fiancee). Best of luck to you and your other half, Im 78 days out.