Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Directed by: Tom Shadyac
Starring: Steve Carell, Morgan Freeman, Lauren Graham

Evan Almighty is the sequal to Bruce Almighty, but with Steve Carell in the starring role instead of Jim Carrey. It is also the most expensive comedy ever made, costing about $175 million to produce (and an estimated $250 million after additional costs such as promotion expenses), largely because all of the animals used in the movie are real.

The plot of the movie is that Evan Baxter (Carell) is a news anchorman that was elected to Congress on a promise to "change the world". After moving his family from Buffalo to Virginia, he is visited by God (Morgan Freeman), who wants him to build an ark and have two of each animal on board for an upcoming flood. (Baxter only has to worry about building the ark, not gathering animals, since the come to him)

Evan initially tries to find a way to balance the building of the ark with his responsibilities as a Congressman (such as co-sponsoring a bill with a powerful Congressman Long, played by John Goodman). After receiving a deadline by God, Baxter angers Congressman Long by dressing like Noah in a press conference and is suspended from Congress. Congressman Long also convinces authorities to tear down the ark and Baxter is given a deadline to tear the it down on the same date as the deadline for the flood given to him by God. Since he is suspended, he can focus all of his time on the ark building (with the help of his family and all of the animals). The ending will remind you of Hurricane Katrina and possibly 9/11, but both in a non-offensive way.

Rating:2/5

Pros: Use of real animals adds some entertainment, Ed Helms makes a funny cameo as a reporter, good for kids since it is a clean movie

Cons: Unsatisfying ending, unfunny dance joke is repeated several times through the movie, since it is kid friendly, there is no adult humor (such as the boob job in Bruce Almighty)

IMDB info: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413099

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
The more I think about it, the less I like Evan Almighty. I really enjoyed Bruce Almighty but this film just seems totally different to me. Bruce was about what it would be like to be God, with all the power and fun stuff but also balancing it with the responsibilities ect.

Evan Almighty is about how much God loves us and that he's here to take care of us. It's obviously the typical Juedo-Christian God of love and compassion, which makes sense since I read that the film was marketed towards the Christian demographic. I found some of the refrences clever, but none of the humor was really gut busting. John Goodman did do a good job of acting as a crooked Congressman who used a bill to make personal profit off shady contractors that built a shoddy dam that eventually causes the "great flood"

I guess I went in expecting another Bruce Almight but was disappointed.

2/5

PS: Wanda Sykes still sucks it bigtime

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
This movie is terrible. The only bright spots are the 40 year old virgin joke and the fat kid from Accepted, Knocked up, and Superbad. I laughed maybe 5 times this movie. I was hoping I could stand the religious bullshit and and find the movie funny and entertaining but the movie didn't try to be funny and ended up pretty religious. A lot more so than I was expecting.

Bruce Almight was did not come off as a Christian movie to me. This certainly did. This movie is almost top to bottom middle America Christian dogma.

Steve Carell is a funny man. I don't think his strong point is slap stick stupidity. If you want to watch him fall, hurt himself, and dance like an idiot you may enjoy this film. If you like his wit and jokes then this isn't for you. There aren't any jokes, okay, a few. I'll give .1 rating for every time I laughed.

Pros: Wanda Sykes was okay, I don't mind her much. Aforementioned fat kid was cool.

Cons: Not a Comedy. Better suited for Sunday School.

.5/5

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
Not as bad as goons are making it sound. It's a good clean family movie and should be reviewed that way also.

PROs: The animals, fat kid. Goodman as evil congressman.

CONS: Characters shouldve known something was up with Carells character long before they did.

3.5/5

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Toolband posted:

Not as bad as goons are making it sound. It's a good clean family movie and should be reviewed that way also.

PROs: The animals, fat kid. Goodman as evil congressman.

CONS: Characters shouldve known something was up with Carells character long before they did.

3.5/5

This is exactly how I feel.