Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

JerikTelorian posted:

Fortunately by morning she ate most of what I left laying out and when I gave her a new treat she gobbled it down like her usual self; she then had a nice breakfast of some fresh greens and ate lots of the timothy hay I had laid out for her. When I called the vet they said it sounded like she rounded the corner, but I've been panicking over every ear twitch since Friday. Has anyone seen a transient event like this? Does it happen every now and again? Could it be a symptom of some underlying condition? Of course it had to happen over a long holiday weekend.
Yeah, I've had rabbits seem down in the dumps and miss a meal. It's good that you have simethicone on hand. On one occasion I recall there was some obvious stressor associated with it--I think when I gave them a nail-clipping and cleaned their glands for the first time--and on another occasion for no apparent reason at all. I usually try to entice them with something especially tasty (apple or banana, cilantro or parsley) and massage them before starting with Critical Care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

JerikTelorian posted:

Honestly it's a relief to hear that someone else has experienced it. It was the first time I've had something like this -- she's about a year and 4 months old (estimated), and I've had her for 11 months or so and we've had no other health issues. Before getting a rabbit I spent a ton of time reading about health and care, so seeing this trigger ultimate panic mode, but I think now having some success and knowing what to look for I'll feel a bit more confident going into the next one.

Nancy is adorable, I'm glad she bounced back too! Boop that snoot.

That's pretty clever, and cheap as hell. Honestly for that price I'll try it just to see how it works. The only thing I'd worry about is if it's softwood, would the oils be a concern if she nibbles them?

Thank you! What I find interesting is that Nancy is also around the same ranges (probably a year and a half old at oldest, and had her for almost 13 months) and also suffered stomach ailment around the same time as Pepper. Maybe there is some sort of unspoken rabbit system at work? :tinfoil:

Another thing I forgot to note that I noticed here was a quiet and firm stomach - after everything was okay, her stomach is now soft and squishy again, and making little noises. I think that difference also helps make it more clear when it may be an issue of gas.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Hi. We found a rabbit in our yard over the weekend and it’s super nice and now it’s in our house right now in a litter box inside a giant wire dog crate eating hay.

We’ve contacted animal control and they just want us to foster it and post on local lost and found sites.

Can anyone tell me what kind of rabbit it is?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
How big is it? Can you estimate the weight?

Edit: I’d guess it’s a harlequin

Deadite fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
It is about 15 inches nose to tail and about 5 lbs

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
if it lets you touch it there might be a microchip around the neck area

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Oh it’s super friendly, and I haven’t felt anything in there (I never feel the ones in our dogs though) The animal control person said it was rare for people to chip their rabbits here. We are planning on having our vet check with a scanner.

It’s very nice and runs right up to us. It isn’t afraid of our big boxer dogs or a vacuum.

Edit: we just took it to a 24 hr emergency vet and it does not have a chip

Anything to be aware of until we call animal control again Monday? I bought Timothy hay, some Timothy pellets to give sparingly. A water bowl and paper litter pellets. What’s the best vegetable treat?

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 10, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Give her a bowl of lettuce and a little bit of apple or carrot. Like just a tablespoon a day. Hard to say exactly since I can't tell the size of the rabbit, but don't overfeed sugary stuff. Hay should be like 80% of their diet. Keep it simple.

Put the hay next to whatever kind of litter setup you've got. They like to sit and eat while they poop, so she won't poop everywhere.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'd do a quarter cup of pellets in the morning, hay throughout the day, lettuce at night. Usually a full cup but I'm lazy and just eyeball it, two big leaves is usually plenty.

Apples/carrots as treats and SPARINGLY. Also make sure it's romaine lettuce and not iceberg, apparently that's important.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Thanks!

Oddly I saw this rabbit outside our fence last tuesday and I thought it was a wild rabbit, because it ran when it saw me. Sunday I found it in our yard while getting ready to let the dogs out and it was so friendly. I’m surprised it lived so long since we have wild foxes living nearby.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rabbits sound like tiny versions of horses with how much of a constant struggle it is to keep them alive.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
They’re lucky they’re so cute.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Hello friends, I am considering taking a rabbit from my local rescue but have been informed he has had some teeth (including the front ones) recently removed, he still can eat pellets but possibly has difficulty with/cannot eat hay so has been getting critical care. Does anyone here have experience with rabbits missing teeth like this, can they really not eat hay (I had thought the back teeth did most of the work for that), or is it possible he just has a preference for the pellets?

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rabbits sound like tiny versions of horses with how much of a constant struggle it is to keep them alive.

This is 100% true except rabbits make everything appear to have a near immortal constitution in comparison.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

clear eyes full farts posted:

Hello friends, I am considering taking a rabbit from my local rescue but have been informed he has had some teeth (including the front ones) recently removed, he still can eat pellets but possibly has difficulty with/cannot eat hay so has been getting critical care. Does anyone here have experience with rabbits missing teeth like this, can they really not eat hay (I had thought the back teeth did most of the work for that), or is it possible he just has a preference for the pellets?

I can't help answer the teeth part, but did they name the rabbit 'Ernie' by any chance? A rabbit newsletter I read noted such a rabbit waiting for adoption for over a year that had to have its teeth clipped regularly because it refused to eat hay - only pellets - so basically the rabbit version of the cheesy potatoes lady.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I would say if you haven’t had a rabbit before I would suggest not adopting that particular one but that’s just me

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Not called Ernie but cheesy potatoes might be a good name! have had rabbits before they just always had a full complement of teeth.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
cleo is so graceful and pretty (when she is being naughty and trying to steal apple slices off of a plate)

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 17, 2020

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
notice how cause she only has one leg her left one is friggin JACKED

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Here's a video with an old man talking about how important it is for Dutch rabbits to be "round"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUumlNqSCZw

grack fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 23, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it's absolutely insane to me that people can just pick up their rabbits and move them around and put them back down and they don't care

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Thumbtacks posted:

it's absolutely insane to me that people can just pick up their rabbits and move them around and put them back down and they don't care

Yeah, Lil will flop all over me but will not abide being picked up at all. I have to make my wife do it because I'm too soft hearted and she grew up showing dogs so she's sterner than I am.

It's always good for a few days of extra "look how much I love Father and not you, Horrible Mother" affection from the rabbit though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
They're show rabbits and probably trained to accept being picked up from a very young age.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy

We took the rescue in in the end, have not yet settled on a name (its a tricky thing!) but he is settling in well. Will absolutely not eat hay so to avoid bankrupting ourselves feeding him critical care as his primary nutrition we are getting him used to horse pellets (100% grass) and will be shredding hay to put in with them so that hopefully he gets some crunching done on the teeth he has left

enclosure is just temporary while we getting him settled and bonded with our other rabbit

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Somebunny has been up to trouble.

Has anyone dealt with something like this? What is your solution? I could get a couch cover but I feel like she would just chew through it.

This couch was ratty to begin with which is why I risked putting it in the room with Pepper anyway but it is a nice place to sit with her in there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JerikTelorian posted:

Has anyone dealt with something like this? What is your solution? I could get a couch cover but I feel like she would just chew through it.

Don’t free-roam your rabbit(s) unsupervised. At least that’s what I did.

Admittedly, this was in an apartment with no way to give them a space that wasn’t also a human-use space with furniture my ex and I didn’t want chewed and electrical cables that we definitely didn’t want chewed.

Ex-Pens can be joined together to make barriers/super large ex-pens

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is she spayed? That seems like it goes beyond normal chewing destructiveness and into false pregnancy/nesting behaviour

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/igDIth4.mp4

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

holy poo poo it's a baby ewok

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Is she spayed? That seems like it goes beyond normal chewing destructiveness and into false pregnancy/nesting behaviour

She is spayed.

It's happened before, but it doesn't happen often. It's not like she doesn't have other toys to play with; I just got a cool new dig toy from Small Pet Select.

I'm going to go to Joann's and get some cotton batting and stick it in a cardboard box for her dig into and have fun and see if that gives her an outlet.

Oh my lord that nose

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

quote is not edit

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JerikTelorian posted:

She is spayed.

It's happened before, but it doesn't happen often. It's not like she doesn't have other toys to play with; I just got a cool new dig toy from Small Pet Select.

I'm going to go to Joann's and get some cotton batting and stick it in a cardboard box for her dig into and have fun and see if that gives her an outlet.

Oh my lord that nose

I don’t like cotton batting because it can easily be ingested. That’s a guaranteed trip to the e-vet, if you catch it in time.

Good digbox material includes shredded (brown) paper with no ink (they used to recommend putting a phone book in there to let the rabbit tear up and turn into digging substrate but all the ink+glue is really not great for your bun to be eating and getting all over themselves/their paws. Same thing goes with old newspaper), a different kind of litter (pellet vs paper, etc) from what your rabbit uses in their litter box so they don’t start making GBS threads in the digbox/digging out the litter tray, and even topsoil or sand from the hardware store (don’t just use stuff from your yard as that can give your bun a parasite, etc).

DaiTengu
Feb 26, 2007

Not until I've had my second pot of coffee.
Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t like cotton batting because it can easily be ingested. That’s a guaranteed trip to the e-vet, if you catch it in time.

Good digbox material includes shredded (brown) paper with no ink (they used to recommend putting a phone book in there to let the rabbit tear up and turn into digging substrate but all the ink+glue is really not great for your bun to be eating and getting all over themselves/their paws. Same thing goes with old newspaper), a different kind of litter (pellet vs paper, etc) from what your rabbit uses in their litter box so they don’t start making GBS threads in the digbox/digging out the litter tray, and even topsoil or sand from the hardware store (don’t just use stuff from your yard as that can give your bun a parasite, etc).

The brown shipping paper is always nice. I don't remember where, but one time some company shipped us an item and had a giant stack of it included (uncrumpled), about as thick as ye olde phone booke. Our buns loved it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ernie has figured out that he can squeeze through the gap between the pen and the place where it hooks to the wall, if he believes in himself. He hasn't figured out that radio cords are dangerous and should be left alone if he wants to a) live and b) listen to Wendy Carlos and Cocteau Twins. So tonight I'm reinforcing the Bunny Jail.

DaiTengu
Feb 26, 2007

Not until I've had my second pot of coffee.
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Ernie has figured out that he can squeeze through the gap between the pen and the place where it hooks to the wall, if he believes in himself. He hasn't figured out that radio cords are dangerous and should be left alone if he wants to a) live and b) listen to Wendy Carlos and Cocteau Twins. So tonight I'm reinforcing the Bunny Jail.

Buns will perform amazing feats in order to get at the spicy hay.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

DaiTengu posted:

Buns will perform amazing feats in order to get at the spicy hay.

thanks to my rabbits I know what sound a shorting power strip makes and I hate it so much

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Back when we were giving Dear Watson advice about the rabbit they found, it got me thinking about rabbit nutrition again. I was kind of obsessed with doing everything right when I first got Bert & Ernie. I spent a long time measuring out things by cup and tablespoon before I was comfortable eyeballing it.

So Bert & Ernie are about 5 pounds put together. I give them 1/4 cup of pellets and 1 tablespoon of fruit, twice a day. That part's pretty straightforward. But greens are very relative. 4 cups of finely-chopped greens is much more than 4 cups of loose greens. Do any of y'all have any kind of disciplined system for it? Like, B/Ernie came with a packet saying 4 cups of greens, but when I ask the shelter she says, y'know, she basically eyeballs it. She also avoids Romaine in favour of green leaf lettuce because the green-to-white ratio is much better. I've stopped worrying about it as long as they appear to be eating plenty of hay, but I wonder if there's a better way.

One thing I do still wish I had better information on is what kinds of greens are bad. There are wildly varying opinions out there on kale and spinach and their oxalate content. I've learned from experience that broccoli and Brussels sprouts should be occasional treats, but opinions on kale/spinach range from "basically poison" to "only a problem if they're the only greens you feed them for weeks."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 23, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Got him a dog bed, surprisingly he seems to actually like it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yesterday I lost my bun Alice to cancer. I've lost a few pets, but losing her is incredibly painful. I felt closer to her than any other pet I've been with. My wife rescued her about a year after taking in her first bun, Marvin, and I came into her life a couple years later. We're not really sure how old she was, but probably around nine, so she's had a very full and happy life. We pamper the poo poo out of those buns.

I'm not really sure the point of my post. I guess I'm just trying to process my loss with some of you that know what it's like to lose one of these creatures.

Alice, Marvin
lookit her zoom around
https://i.imgur.com/x41EhsV.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Was she a Californian? They're a really sweet breed. Rest in peace, Alice.