Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lucy and Moose got adopted!

Shadow is shy

Milo, less so

Finally a decent shot of Jareth

Didn't get a shot of Truffles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Adorable. It's funny, I was cleaning up after a bunch of rabbits yesterday because someone else had to spend half an hour trimming and brushing Norma. How do you keep up with an Angora?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anybody going to their regional Bunfest this year? Mid-Atlantic Bunfest is March 7th in Richmond, and I'm going to volunteer.

I was helping the shelter sort their merch. (Very popular battleship-shaped one not pictured)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You move 16 tons and whaddaya get
You get too tired to write a parody
No seriously I just stacked exactly 16 tons of hay

Remora posted:

excuse me can these battleships be sent elsewhere in the country tia
Probably, but the shipping would be murder. I just learned Bunny Lu goes all over the country for Bunfests, at least the Southeast and Midwest ones, so you can probably pick one up. Finally found a good picture.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
drat, you're doing the Lord's work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yes, I didn't know what to say, but it sounds like she had a good run. I hope I get 10 years with my next rabbits.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know how they manage to do that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I was going to plug Bunfest again by way of all the pictures I took at the shelter last weekend. But I just lost one of my pet chickens and don't have the energy. I'm still really looking forward to it!

We filled a trailer full of bunny playhouses and swag last weekend. I was also happy to learn several bunnies were adopted out over the past couple weeks!

https://midatlanticbunfest.com/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I should have taken this shot of Bert and Ernie after I put up the new lighting panels.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They do that every time we clean their pen.

This guy gets it:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
[bunfest]

Rosebud

Tried to hop into the adjacent guinea pig run, very bad

Strong candidate for Biggest Ears Prize

Strong candidate for Pet and Owner That Most Resemble Each Other Prize

Bunpack

Cannot confirm if bun was boss

Princess

Like 20 people wanted to adopt these boys

Callie is tired

[/bunfest]

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, like, what are her demands

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you're not really old or immunocompromised go to the loving store and buy lettuce

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Use the self checkout

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

poverty goat posted:

Questions:
1.) Do I need to brush him? Will he turn into a dreadlock?
Smoky doesn't look super fluffy like an Angora or anything, but you should brush him from time to time so he doesn't shed all over the place. More importantly, he'll like you more.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

D34THROW posted:

Those are some pissed-off-looking lops. What'd you do, steal their poops?
Whatever it was, I have plenty of time to make it up to them :3:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The thing is, while I know a lot of people advise against it, I've seen dozens of rabbits all using this system and never found a single one with sore hocks, and I'm checking their feet every time I move them or clean their pen. (In practice, Bert and Ernie's boxes are covered with a thin layer of hay over the mesh anyway. I'm not sure what Ok means by "free floating," but the mesh rack has feet and sits into the base of the tray so that there's not more than a centimeter for the rack to move in any direction.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The boys were spending most of their time under their playhouse, digging in the corner. So I moved it a few inches away from the corner and put a dig box behind it, full of torn scraps of the rug they already tore up.

Bert dragged it out of the corner so he could dig at the floor.

I put a rock in it.

Bert is strong enough to drag like half his body weight in rocks.

I put two boxes in the corner with a rock in each box. That seems to work?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I use the cheap bulk stuff from Tractor Supply with newspaper on top.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I noticed that Bert & Ernie were pushing their pen outward so that they could sit on the hardwood instead of the carpet. So I got them some ceramic tiles! Bert has accepted the cooling embrace of the tile, but Ernie is still checking it out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is anyone else following the news about RHDV2 (rabbit hemmorrhagic virus)? Fortunately, there are no reported cases in VA yet, but that also means that it's not legal to import the vaccine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You'll Coward Don't Even Eat Papaya

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Adorable!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ikea sells these collapsible carriers that are easy to keep in your trunk in case of emergency.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, don't risk RHV.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

Fortunately by morning she ate most of what I left laying out and when I gave her a new treat she gobbled it down like her usual self; she then had a nice breakfast of some fresh greens and ate lots of the timothy hay I had laid out for her. When I called the vet they said it sounded like she rounded the corner, but I've been panicking over every ear twitch since Friday. Has anyone seen a transient event like this? Does it happen every now and again? Could it be a symptom of some underlying condition? Of course it had to happen over a long holiday weekend.
Yeah, I've had rabbits seem down in the dumps and miss a meal. It's good that you have simethicone on hand. On one occasion I recall there was some obvious stressor associated with it--I think when I gave them a nail-clipping and cleaned their glands for the first time--and on another occasion for no apparent reason at all. I usually try to entice them with something especially tasty (apple or banana, cilantro or parsley) and massage them before starting with Critical Care.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Give her a bowl of lettuce and a little bit of apple or carrot. Like just a tablespoon a day. Hard to say exactly since I can't tell the size of the rabbit, but don't overfeed sugary stuff. Hay should be like 80% of their diet. Keep it simple.

Put the hay next to whatever kind of litter setup you've got. They like to sit and eat while they poop, so she won't poop everywhere.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ernie has figured out that he can squeeze through the gap between the pen and the place where it hooks to the wall, if he believes in himself. He hasn't figured out that radio cords are dangerous and should be left alone if he wants to a) live and b) listen to Wendy Carlos and Cocteau Twins. So tonight I'm reinforcing the Bunny Jail.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Back when we were giving Dear Watson advice about the rabbit they found, it got me thinking about rabbit nutrition again. I was kind of obsessed with doing everything right when I first got Bert & Ernie. I spent a long time measuring out things by cup and tablespoon before I was comfortable eyeballing it.

So Bert & Ernie are about 5 pounds put together. I give them 1/4 cup of pellets and 1 tablespoon of fruit, twice a day. That part's pretty straightforward. But greens are very relative. 4 cups of finely-chopped greens is much more than 4 cups of loose greens. Do any of y'all have any kind of disciplined system for it? Like, B/Ernie came with a packet saying 4 cups of greens, but when I ask the shelter she says, y'know, she basically eyeballs it. She also avoids Romaine in favour of green leaf lettuce because the green-to-white ratio is much better. I've stopped worrying about it as long as they appear to be eating plenty of hay, but I wonder if there's a better way.

One thing I do still wish I had better information on is what kinds of greens are bad. There are wildly varying opinions out there on kale and spinach and their oxalate content. I've learned from experience that broccoli and Brussels sprouts should be occasional treats, but opinions on kale/spinach range from "basically poison" to "only a problem if they're the only greens you feed them for weeks."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 23, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
drat, I wish Bernie were social enough to try to follow me around the house.

We had this one rabbit at the shelter, Piper, who hated the broom and would attack it whenever her pen was swept out. Like, biting it and hanging on. I've never seen anything else like it.

Last couple times I went to the shelter I didn't recognize any rabbit I remembered. Adoptions are through the roof!

I did see like 8 baby Holland lops, though. They got saddled with a couple pregnant does. Didn't get any good pictures, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Delightful little black puddings.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can't give mine a box or they'll never leave it.

Gams

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mine will just randomly try to do that every now and then despite having plenty of stuff to chew on and scratch at.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Justa Dandelion posted:

First post on this site. Our bun is a good boy. That is all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

What I meant by crate bonding is when you put the two buns in a crate or hamper or dark box (ideally one where they cannot see or preferably smell you—or they will hate you for a bit. Some people even disguise their scent when they do it or try to leave the room, or get a friend to do it) and make them huddle with each other.

You do this by placing the box next to/atop the washing machine or dryer or right next to the vacuum, play the stereo super loud, etc, something that will scare them into forgetting their differences. Of course, you have to be ready to swoop in if it looks like trouble. Possibly more harrowing for Nancy than what you had in mind, but she’d get over it if you do it right.
Oh. I think Bert and Ernie were basically crate bonded their entire lives before they got to the shelter. That explains a lot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What I mean by the crate bonding thing is: I was told they were liberated from some dumbfuck who kept them together in a cage the size of a shoebox.

They've just taken a lot of work to come out of their shell and get comfortable with me, and they still don't run to me for scritches. They very rarely binky around, usually only when they think I'm not watching. They're very bonded and will spend about half their time laying on each other.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They have an enclosure here in our home office. I work from home 3 days a week, so that's three days I spend most of my time sitting next to them. I also like to sit in their enclosure until they realize I'm not a threat and start climbing me, but they're always hesitant. It's all baby steps.I'm working on "field trips" to let them run around the sunroom upstairs and the living room downstairs, but they always seem scared of new and unfamiliar places, so I don't do it as often as I'd like.

I give them dried papaya chips or raisins before bed. Lately it's been raisins, since I buy papaya from the shelter and haven't been for several weeks. I don't use yogurt drops anymore. (Over the past month, I've had problems with my other pets. A raccoon killed two of my pet chickens, two weeks apart, so my weekends have been spent cleaning up after chickens living in my laundry room, fixing up the coop, and trapping a raccoon.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Huh, they are part of the daily meal at the shelter. Not as bulk or anything, just as a 'every rabbit gets a chunk' so I assumed they were good for teeth to chew on
I have two Holland Lops who, between them, weigh maybe 6 pounds. Together they get 2 tablespoons of carrot or fruit a day (one tablespoon at each meal), per my shelter's recommendation. So there's nothing unusual about a small daily amount.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just pop an ex pen (with the requisite libations and accessories) down in the sunroom/etc and leave ‘em there for like 6 hours (I put two ex pens together, btw, so there’s lots of space to run around and actually hop/etc). They come around.
I've had Bert & Ernie for just over a year now. During that time I've taken them down to the TV room maybe 3 or 4 times, setting up some barriers to keep them from getting behind the fireplace and wood stove and so on.

They always seemed scared and unhappy, but I really underestimated how much they took to it once they got used to it. I took them down this Wednesday, and this time they were running and jumping all over the place. I'm going to start doing this every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah. I think it’s really worth trying, because well-bonded rabbits are always so much happier than they were pre-bonding
IME a pair of rabbits is much easier and less worrisome to care for than a single rabbit.